One Crow Alone (After the Snow, #0.5)

One Crow Alone (After the Snow 0)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“They say it's going to get worse. That it's not going to end."

The snow won't stop falling in this dangerous-new-world.

The long, bitter winters are getting worse, and a state of emergency has been declared across Europe. In Poland, the villagers are subject to frequent power cuts and fuel shortages. After the death of her grandmother and the evacuation of her village, fift...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends (first published January 1st 2013)

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
Review also @ http://booksandwritersjnr.wordpress.c... :)

“A winter’s day has become a winter’s nightmare…”
Teenage Magda Krol is living in her quiet, Polish village until strange men arrive. She hides in her cellar, and upon emerging realises that they were not thieves, but people evacuating the village because of the harsh weather! She ventures across the frozen wasteland to the next village, in the hope of getting on the next evacuation truck, when she encounters Ukrainian boy Ivan. Together th...more
Wisteriouswoman
I brought home 'After the Snow' and 'One Crow Alone' from the library and decided to read the prequel first. I am so glad I did.

They are totally different books and I disliked 'After the Snow' so much I couldn't read all of it.

'One Crow Alone' has its own distinct style that reminds me of poetry, folk lore, wise-woman knowledge, and an adventure book all rolled into one. Even though it is supposed to be in the future it could very well have been set in the past. They live out in the country whe...more
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Really looking forward to how this series progresses. It was a real rollercoaster ride reading After the Snow.
Temmy
Mustabshirah Khan
I feel as if some people get dispirited by a good book which does not posses a fairy-tale ending (like me a little bit) and because of that we completely ignore the greatness of its content.

Just for the people who are doing that.

I really liked the whole concept of this book but i needed to get hooked which at times i didn't.
I recommend it to see your reactions

Eden Rassette
One Crow Alone is an incredible story about a girl who must overcome the impossible. Magda’s narration is so different from the typical YA post-apocalyptic story. She is facing certain death every day of her life, all by herself, but she is so strong. Magda is practical and focused. She does what she must to survive, to keep living, despite the threat of freezing to death, of never finding her mother, or losing her grandmother. I have so much respect for Magda, and her strength in the face of in...more
Etta Searle
Definitely one to read after reading 'After the Snow' but so good! Great to learn more about Magda, and I enjoyed how the main story was interspersed with the Crow story, and Mary giving the Tell. Made me do a weep!
Paige Libbert
Not my favorite. For some Tunis would be a lovely read, I'm sure but I found it choppy and personally wasn't a fan of the ending. Cool concept though and an interesting topic.
Carol
This was just as good as After the Snow.
Nicole
"If you have no answer, then make no decision. Sleep on it. When everything stops making sense, then sense is all that's left. It is better, Magda, that you suffer for doing what is right, than for doing what is wrong."

I came to like Magda more later on, but I really had a hard time suspending my belief that she was a 16 year old girl - her thoughts and behaviors were more like that of an 11 or 12 year old.
Jen
I have not read After the Snow, so I had no expectations for One Crow Alone. This is the story of Magda, a Polish girl who is working her way to London to find her mother after the snows come and her village is abandoned. Along her journey she meets a boy (of course) named Ivan who vows to help her get to London. A complex story about hope and loss.
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
This is a prequel to the fantastic After the Snow. I liked this and was engaged with Magda’s story, but I liked After the Snow better. One Crow alone didn’t have the same experimental language of After the Snow and felt more like a traditional dystopian novel. That said, I really do like this author and will keep reading the series.
Alison
Perhaps I would've liked this dystopian prequel better if I'd read "After the Snow" first, which got good reviews from YA lit types.
Brad
A great post-apocalyptic read! I'll definitely be picking up After the Snow.

Look for my full review soon!
Alejandra Mendoza
Alejandra Mendoza marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Amanda Vitek
Amanda Vitek marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Mariya Syed
Mariya Syed marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Drew Cernava
Drew Cernava marked it as to-read
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Reece
Reece marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Courtney Umlauf
Courtney Umlauf marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Are You Experienced?
  • BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK, #2)
  • Everything Breaks
  • Meet Me at the River
  • No Angel
  • The Fallout (The Compound, #2)
  • My Chemical Mountain
  • Half Lives
  • After Tomorrow
  • Pull Down the Night
  • Lailah (The Styclar Saga, #1)
  • What We Lost in the Dark (What We Saw at Night, #2)
  • Nine Days
  • Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • The Saints (Quarantine, #2)
  • Don't Look Now (PERSEF0NE, #2)
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast #3)
  • The True Tale of the Monster Billy Dean
Sophie D. Crockett was born in 1969. She graduated from London University’s Royal Holloway and Bedford New College with a degree in Drama and Theatre Studies.

On leaving university she travelled to Russia as a timber buyer in the Caucasus Mountains but after the birth of her son in 1996 she returned to the East Coast of Suffolk where she spent five years restoring a derelict Ancient Scheduled Monum...more
More about S.D. Crockett...
After the Snow