Start by marking “Eye: How It Works” as Want to Read:
Eye: How It Works

Eye: How It Works

Celebrated author-illustrator and master explainer David Macaulay brings his unique voice and style to high-interest nonfiction books for newly independent readers.
How can you see that your shirt is on inside out? How do you see the soccer ball coming right at you? How do you know which players are on your team? It all starts with light--and with the amazing human eye. Wi
Published September 10th 2013 by David Macaulay Studio

To ask other readers questions about Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye

The Boy Who Loved Math by Deborah HeiligmanOn a Beam of Light by Jennifer  BerneA Splash of Red by Jennifer Fisher BryantLocomotive by Brian FlocaWho Says Women Can't Be Doctors? by Tanya Lee Stone
Childrens NonFiction 2013
26th out of 119 books — 40 voters
Cathedral by David MacaulayCastle by David MacaulayCity by David MacaulayPyramid by David MacaulayUnderground by David Macaulay
Best of David Macaulay
27th out of 35 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 26, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf
One of the newer trends in publishing for children seems to be the focus (no pun intended here) on the emergent reader and the simplifying of complex topics. Macauley has joined the ranks with "My Readers" with titles 'Castle', 'Jet Planes', and the apparently ever-popular topic, 'Toilet'. In my fifteen+ years of elementary school librarianship, I've had one request for toilets, and even that was for its predecessor, the water closet.

As for this book, it begins with a joke on the title page con
Sunday Cummins
Feb 02, 2014 Sunday Cummins rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than Macaulay's Toilet: How It Works (see my review on that one). Still some gripes, though…

LABELS ARE PRETTY GOOD, BUT on page 7, the eye “socket” is not labeled and this is Macaulay’s intro to how the body protects the eye – “good thing each eye is protected by its own socket. “Fat” in the next sentence and “sclera” and “muscles” in the following sentences are labeled.
LAYOUT AND DESIGN MIGHT BE CONFUSING. On page 10, the text refers to the image on the right hand side
Macaulay is now doing a series of nonfiction books for about the grade 3-4 group. This one was on the eye and was fairly good. Of course, the illustrations are superb! The text is pretty good too, framed around a soccer game to make it a bit more relevant to kids. There was almost no effort given to the game which makes sense in a way since that wasn't what the book was about, but more could have been done to tie it in to the theme, I was disappointed in one section where a description of how gl ...more
Leslie Basky
Sep 05, 2016 Leslie Basky rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like how this book gave both information about the eye and also a story that connected to the eye and made it easy to connect to.
Apr 01, 2014 Ellie rated it it was amazing
David Macaulay's brought his amazingly detailed illustrations and carefully cultivated science to a series of science books for early elementary readers.

Through the course of a soccer game, kids are shown how our eyes are constructed and how they process images and light. Really great introduction, would be fun to read along with a parent or in a classroom to help kids understand the concepts. Early elementary.
Destinee Sutton
Nov 25, 2013 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, readers
You can't always believe a blurb, but I'm gonna say Macaulay has totally earned the "master explainer" title. I'm very impressed by his ability to take a complicated subject and break it down into understandable parts for young readers. The illustrations are great, too. I highly recommend this whole series!
The Styling Librarian
Eye – How It Works by David Macaulay - Love how this book is connected with playing soccer, quite appealing to reluctant readers. Beautiful illustrations in addition to thorough information on how the eye works. Terrific book, happy it is a reader now.
Aug 30, 2016 Erica rated it liked it
Hopping back and forth between the soccer game and how the eye of one player was perceiving it was a good idea but for this age & ability reader, it did not work - in my opinion.
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Jun 01, 2015 Oliver rated it really liked it
It was interesting because there were fun facts, it was all fun facts. I like fun facts.
OS rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Jean rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Taiyou rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Jun 04, 2015 Gabriel rated it really liked it
I liked that they were playing soccer as an example.
T rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Jenny Lussier
Jenny Lussier rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Heather rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Ingrid rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Sharon Lawler
Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Bill rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2013
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Tiffiny rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Beth rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Nathan rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2015
SHCS Library
SHCS Library rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Heather Lander
Heather Lander rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Amy Philpott
Amy Philpott rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...