Start by marking “Adventures in Cartooning: Characters in Action” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Cartooning: Characters in Action

Adventures in Cartooning: Characters in Action (Adventures in Cartooning)

The Knight, Edward the chubby horse, and of course the Magic Cartooning Elf are back for more fun, but this time they're sharing the stage with a host of new characters.

In Adventures in Cartooning: Characters In Action you'll learn how to create your own kooky characters. And fresh faces are needed -- the famous director Otto Airs is making a movie, and he's invited everyo
Published October 8th 2013 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Cartooning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Cartooning

First Second Books
Oct 10, 2013 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
This book is super awesome, and here’s why:

Kids are storytellers. Storytelling is an inherent human trait, and like many other inherent human traits (singing, drawing, dancing) a lot of kids are scared off from it as they grow up.

The ADVENTURES IN CARTOONING series is a fantastic antidote for this syndrome, letting kids bring their own talents to making comic books and offering them in return some fun, useful tools for their craft. I love love love CHARACTERS IN ACTION because it is as funny and
Valerie
Sep 10, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ARC through NetGalley

This is the first Adventures in Cartooning book I have read. I have seen them at the library where I work, and I know they are quite popular with the kids. One of them was a Young Hoosier Book Award Nominee, so I usually take it that it must be pretty good. When I saw this on NetGalley, I decided I would really like to read it. I only knew that it was a graphic book, really nothing else. Still, I wasn't disappointed in my decision to read it.

A simple knight
Gig Wailgum
Sep 19, 2016 Gig Wailgum rated it really liked it
Fun! Whacky! Clever! and there are Cyclopses!
Kristen
What always strikes me about the Adventures in Cartooning series is how many laugh out loud moments it has. My students cannot keep their hands off these books. Melding a mixture of how-to with a hilarious story, this third book shows readers how to create their own characters. Our night in shining armor heads off to save the day, only to find that there is a mean film director looking for the right characters for his movie.

The illustrations are so much fun in this book, simple but fantastic, sh
Carol
Feb 03, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Brave Knight and his trusty horse, Edward, are slightly confused when they meet an odd group of characters in the forest. They realize something is not right in the kingdom so they race home to check on the king. Upon arrival at the castle they find a movie director who has taken control and is trying to cast a new king and other characters. As the story unfolds the reader learns important things about the magic of cartooning as well as good behavioral lessons. If you haven't read any of the ...more
Samantha
This one disappointed me. The previous books in this series have been stellar, but this one falls flat.

The concept is that characters a re a key element in storytelling. Characters have to be believeable and have reasonable motivations for the plot to make sense.

Here, the example story featuring characters-gone-wild is far too lengthy and the lesson is squeezed in at the end combined with an encouragement to create your own unique characters.

Check out the other books in the series for better p
Kelsey Bates
Jun 10, 2013 Kelsey Bates rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series! Like Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics, this book gives readers both a story and advice on how to draw interesting characters. I might have been nice to have a bit more of the advice, but overall a good book. Will be ordering as soon as it comes out!
Megan
Oct 03, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received an advance copy from a giveaway.
I read it with my younger brother. We both liked it and thought it was pretty cute. The drawings were really nice and the cartooning how to at the end was easy to understand but relevant.
I would say that there was not too much how to content, but it's supposed to be the characters "in action."
One-Eyed Pak
Sep 10, 2016 One-Eyed Pak rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A very fun way to learn how to create characters and to launch them in action! Right after closing the book, I want to draw for the rest of day.

I received a free copy of this book through a giveaway on Goodreads.
Rodger
Oct 23, 2013 Rodger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations were fabulously funny. I totally recommend this book as a top buy for the young and young at heart! I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Kathy
May 27, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Cute, but I wish there had been more cartooning tips throughout the book. In a vast array of characters girls show up as witches, a ballerina, and - spoiler alert - the helmeted knight turns out to be a girl - but this could easily have had more gender diversity.
Ian
Jul 25, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
A fun illustration of aesthetic principles that makes the mistake that it has to tell a story, and in so doing, it tells a repetitive story without any stakes.
Dan
This text does a great job showing how simple shapes can be transformed into extraordinary characters!
Jason Griffith
Jul 22, 2014 Jason Griffith rated it it was amazing
I really love this series. It's funny, interactive, engaging, and a great way to unlock the creativity of young readers, artists, etc.
Alethia
Alethia rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Cash Stuart
Cash Stuart rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Stacy Swenson
Stacy Swenson rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Dilys
Dilys rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Allana
Allana rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Joy Lane
Joy Lane rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Snow
Snow rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Polly
Polly rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
'kris Pung
'kris Pung rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
  • 3D Art Lab for Kids: 32 Hands-on Adventures in Sculpture and Mixed Media - Including fun projects using clay, plaster, cardboard, paper, fiber beads and more!
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
  • Looks Like Daylight: Voices of Indigenous Kids
  • Steve Jobs: Thinking Differently
  • The Crimson Brand (The Phoenix Girls, #2)
  • Rescuing the Children: The Story of the Kindertransport
  • Sweaterweather: & Other Short Stories
  • The Fall of the House of West
  • Lunch Lady and the Schoolwide Scuffle (Lunch Lady, #10)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Mud-Slinging Moles
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Severn and the Day She Silenced the World
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • The Last Child of Hamelin
  • Also Known as Elvis (The Misfits, #4)
  • Vamplets Volume One: The Nightmare Nursery
James Sturm is the author of several award-winning graphic novels for children and adults, including James Sturm’s America, Market Day, The Golem’s Mighty Swing and Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow. He is also the founder of the Center for Cartoon Studies and the National Association for Comics Art Educators. He created Adventures in Cartooning with collaborators Alexis Frederic-Frost and Andr ...more
More about James Sturm...

Adventures in Cartooning (7 books)
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Adventures in Cartooning Activity Book
  • Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Gryphons Aren't So Great (Adventures in Cartooning)
  • Ogres Awake!