Start by marking “People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel” as Want to Read:
People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel

People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois #4)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A novel of North America’s Forgotten Past

The epic tale that began in The People of the Longhouse draws to a close in People of the Black Sun, the final installation of the Iroquois quartet by award-winning archaeologists and New YorkTimes and USAToday bestselling authors Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear.

The darkness that Dekanawida has envisioned is drawing closer,
Published August 27th 2013 by Tor Books (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Black Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Black Sun

Rick
Great finish to the series based on the real history of the Iriquoi in upstate New York. The Gears are one of my favorites.
Theresa
I have to read this book a second time immediately because of the scope and nature of the story. I am blown away by the imagery of the majestic scope of the battles, and adventures that have occurred to the characters with in the long house series. I had drawn out hope that Cord had survived the ambush of his war party after their desperate salvation of the People of the Yellowtail village, and Bur Oak village. I was so overwhelmed in the devastation that Atotharho brought to the people, how so ...more
Jean
I've been following this series. Fascinated by the archeo-Indian cultures.
Roxie
another great book on native history
Beth
I thought the series would have been better served with three books instead of four. It seemed to drag on little bit by the time I got through this one. The writing is nonetheless mostly enjoyable. Also a wrap up back to the first book as Sky Messenger crosses the bridge would have been nice. I thought it was weird when book one started with that and then went back to his childhood. The final book should have closed his circle of life.
J. Ewbank
This book by Gear and Gear is one of a series of books they have written. This is indeed the best series of books by an author(s) that I have read. For those who have read the other books in this particular series, if you don't cry like I did when I finished it, you have missed something. A wonderful read.
J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Amber
This is the last in this particular series...I really liked it and found it hard to put down. These books by Kathleen and Michael Gear are really good! I love all the books by them..They are archeologists so they get the facts right but make it an interesting story too.
Patricia
Very good conclusion to the People of the Longhouse series. Other books were a little confusing, but it all came together in this one. Great story and I love that it all happened right here where I live!!!
Emma
Classic storytelling for the Gears. It's been several years since I've read them; I've always found their books well researched & intriguing, needless to say nothings changed. I'm glad for that.
Sharon
You know its a good book when you feel like your saying goodbye to a good friend. The book wrapped the series up smoothly. I'll reread this series in the future.
Roger Jebe
I really liked this conclusion to the series. I rushed through it and then was so disappointed that there wasn't more to read. The old problem of a really good book.
Sue
What a fantastic end to this series of 4 books on the beginning of the Iriquois nation. I want to start all 4 books over and read them again and again!
Michael
Almost done with this book. It is a great conclusion to the series. A lot of things happen that make sense after the fact but that I was not able to predict.
Tom
Probably the best of the four-book series. It really keeps your attention, and the accounts of Iroquois customs and beliefs continue to be interesting.
Edie
Most people pass these books by but I really get caught up in them. I find it amazing to imagine what life during these time must have been like.
Meghan
I loved this book! I want to read more peles books. I really like the historical parts that tie into the story, it feels so real!
Cecilia
A moving and stirring end to The People of the Longhouse series about the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy
Estelle
I always like O'Neal and Gear's books, but this seemed a bit overly long.
Darren
Excellent ending to a fantastic series. My desires find its only fault being too short, lol.
Virginia Winfield
Kind of disappointed in the ending. Sometimes hard to read. Could be confusing.
Kat
let me reread all 4 books and think it over before writing this review....
Debby
I loved this book. I've never been disappointed by a book by the Gears.
Eileen Souza
Very good ending to an interesting series.
Alyssa
So emotional. I cried & cried.
Mark
Book # 4 of a great series.
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • Manituana
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • Sitting Bull
  • Trail of the Spanish Bit (Spanish Bit Saga, #1)
  • The Man Who Killed the Deer
  • Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1)
  • Climate of Fear: The Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World
  • The Cahokian
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • Rabble in Arms
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Ghost Warrior
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

Iroquois (4 books)
  • People of the Longhouse (Iroquois, #1)
  • The Dawn Country: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #2)
  • The Broken Land: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois, #3)
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)