Start by marking “The Aunts Go Marching” as Want to Read:
The Aunts Go Marching

The Aunts Go Marching

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A young girl marches through the falling rain, beating on a drum with a rat a tat-tat The sound of her drum draws aunts into the street. And these aren't the ants that want to share the picnic basket. Here they come dressed in raincoats, holding black umbrellas, marching row on row behind the girl with the drum. Maurie J. Manning turns the tables on the popular children's...more
Hardcover
Published 2003 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Aunts Go Marching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aunts Go Marching

Claudia
(CIP) Dressed in raincoats and carrying umbrellas, a platoon of aunts march through the rainy city streets led by a little girl with a drum in this cumulative rhyme.

(Claudia) An attractive counting, singing storytime book, with a multicultural cast of aunts. The varied adventures of the “little one” – a self-confident preschooler (Latina?) – her dog, and her affectionate particular aunt provide lots of interest for one-on-one readings.

(SLJ) "Youngsters will thoroughly enjoy … this classic childh...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He still likes his counting books.

This is not a cumulative story. A cumulative story would be "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly", or "The Ladies of the Harem of the Court of King Caractacus". This is a progressive story, and is based on "The Ants Go Marching". It is a charming twist.

The illustrations, likewise, are charming. But SO confusing for a five-year-old boy. I would have preferred if the illustrator had only sh...more
Paula
Nicole
My kids LOVE this book. I sing it even though it is just written. The only thing is there are just a couple of places where the rhythm/rhyme gets off due to what is happening but the kids don't get that. They just know it should sound like the rest of the book. But we still hear "Rata ta tat. Ba-rump, ba-rump, ba-rump, BOOM!" all over the house. Can't say that isn't a good book!
Kristie
This cumulative story with a twist on the good ol' song "The Ants Go Marching" allows children to chime in on the story. If they don't feel like singing, they can keep the beat by drumming.
Melissa
a fun book to sing with kiddos - I have them sing the rat-a-tat-tat interlude and we usually make rain noises by slapping our legs.
Wastell Mcneil
It's a book about aunts. Throughout the book you sing the song "the ants go marching" but instead of ant, it is aunt.
Joanna
This illustrated songbook uses "aunts" in place of "ants" for a fun retelling of the well known chanting song.
Shawn
Great book for PK to grade 1 to focus on the letter A, counting, homophones and predictions.
Nancy J.

This book has rhythm, counting, and a rain parade through the town! It's a fun book!
Elizabeth S
Cute version of "The Ants Go Marching." Get it? Ants? Aunts?
Katrina
One of our family favorites... fun, and a fun play on words too.
jenna nims
fun to sing and pics were nice and bright
Anna
A cute book that sings. Good for story time.
Kathy
What a fun variation on the standard song!
Katie
Fun book to sing and count along to.
Christine Turner
Cumulative rhyme.
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Clara Lauber
Clara Lauber marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Laundry Day Kitchen Dance How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids Sorry! The Coffee Can Kid