Start by marking “Bangladesh: A Legacy of Blood” as Want to Read:
Bangladesh: A Legacy of Blood

Bangladesh: A Legacy of Blood

Bangladesh: A Legacy of Blood is a book written by journalist Anthony Mascarenhas. The book chronicles the bloody coups and uprisings in the post-independence Bangladesh. The book focuses on the two towering figures of Bangladeshi politics, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Ziaur Rahman. They are popularly credited as two key architects of modern Bangladesh and the rule of each ...more
Published 1986 by Hodder and Stoughton

Emtiaj
. শিবিরের পাঠযসূচীতে আছে বইটা (ফুল সটপ)

. বইটা পড়তে পড়তে আমার মনে হচছিল এটা কি উপনযাস না non-fiction? লেখার সটাইলটাই উপনযাসের মত। তবে ডোকুমেনট আর ছবি দেখে মানলাম যে এটা উপনযাস না।

. ফারুক গংদের সাকষাৎকারের ভিততিতে লেখক বঙগবনধু হতযাকাণডের জাসটিফাই করেছেন বলে মনে হল। শেখ খুব খারাপ, তাঁকে না মেরে কোন উপায় ছিলনা। ;)

পরথম অভযুতথান অংশে যেটা আছে সেটার একটা অংশ উললেখ না করলে নয়। বঙগবনধু নাকি পাকিসতানের সাথে সুসমপরক রাখার মৌখিক ইচছা পোষন করে এসেছিলেন। ' এর জানুয়ারিতেই লেখককে একথা উনি বলেছিলেন।

মিথযা কথা।

Naser Imran Hossain
Jan 19, 2013 Naser Imran Hossain rated it really liked it
"Nobody understands what I do for my country", an apparently original quote by the guy who was called "The ONE friend of Bangladesh", the undisputed leader of the Bangladeshis after the country became independent in 1971, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, sort of sums up the mood of the whole book. True or not, the events that are delineated in a Kafkaesque detail by Mr Mascarenhas paints a graphic and sordid tale about a country that could've been the mantelpiece of democracy, independence, economic and ...more
Aantaki Raisa
Nov 18, 2015 Aantaki Raisa rated it it was amazing
Wow! As if I knew nothing of the history of my country! Well, though our leaders have failed to understand what needs to be done in Bangladesh, Anthony Mascarenhas- A Pakistani journalist, seems to have got it perfectly, as he ends this book stating "Machination and murder have been the curse of Bangladesh-its legacy of blood. It will not end until public accountability and the sequence of crime and punishment is firmly established".
This book is not just an enlightenment to the post-independence
Saima Musharrat
Mar 03, 2013 Saima Musharrat rated it really liked it
We have been taught and made proud from our childhood about the liberation war that took place in our country. But for some strange reason, a brisk halt has been made in almost every textbook at the day when Bangladesh got liberated from Pakistani oppression, 16th December 1971 to be precise, and after that very day, everything else seemed to go blank. What went wrong with the country which had paid the highest price in the history of the world in exchange to its freedom, how did an incorrigible ...more
Iftekhar Alam Himel
Jul 09, 2016 Iftekhar Alam Himel rated it really liked it
A must read for all Bangladeshi!

If you want to know the truth & the 100% objective truth about pre & post liberation Bangladeshi history, this is THE book. I belong to a generation who had not been exposed to the underlying politics & brutality related to war and the post-war turmoil that has shaped the country. We often get a politically biased view of history; both from people & publications who are often ideologically prejudiced & lack authentic information. This is the bo
Samiur
Mar 16, 2014 Samiur rated it it was amazing
While Anthony Mascarenhas's Legacy of Blood is a standard read highlighting the atrocities committed by Pakistan's military against Bangladesh, if only Mascarenhas had lived to see today (foreign affairs and politics in the region) to provide his thought-leadership on Pakistan's continued denial and cover-up re history and the nation's downward spiral in terms of economic development and political leadership; and his nuanced and balanced understanding of Bangladesh's political outlook would have ...more
Nakib Hoq
Apr 18, 2012 Nakib Hoq rated it liked it
An amazing, scintillating, terrific and thrilling historical ride. I have no words for this historical book. Not only does it constitute the bloody history of the nation after its birth and the political turbulence during the first 15 years, but also tells the reader of the diaspora and the sufferings of the general public from corrupt and inept politicians, inefficient systems and fruitless policies designed for malpractice and the attempted formation of an authoritarian regime.
Tashfeen Saeed
Aug 20, 2014 Tashfeen Saeed rated it it was amazing
An incredible and objective take on the events that transpired after 1971 and the incentives behind them. Highly recommended for anyone looking to "fill in the gaps" not covered in our history textbooks.
Jaber Ahamed
Sep 08, 2016 Jaber Ahamed rated it did not like it
লেখক যথেষ্ঠ চেষ্টা করছে ফারুক আর রশীদ কে ভাল দেখাইতে।ওরা কিউট ছেলে ওদের কোন দোষ নাই।ওরা মনে দু:খ পাইছে,তাই বংগবন্ধুকে ফ্যামিলি সহ খুন করছে।লেইম লজিক এ ভরা।নির্লজ্জ পক্ষপাতিত্ব।লেখকের নাম শুনে ভাবছিলাম বিদেশী কেউ।পরে দেখলাম পাকিস্তানি।এটা দেখে আর তেমন হতাশ হইনাই।উনার একটা রিপোর্ট আমাদের মুক্তিযুদ্ধ কে বিশ্বে পরিচিতি দিছে বটে কিন্তু এই বইটা তাকে একজন "এভারেজ পাকিস্তানি"হিসেবেই প্রমাণ করে।
Fatematuz
Aug 02, 2016 Fatematuz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, history
Truth is far gripping, stranger, and horrifying than friction. Such brilliant writing, holding breath-stopping suspense till the end. The book focuses on the wrongs as the author himself asserted. But it paints more than that. Anybody who is trying to understand the history of Bangladesh, our hideous, shameless and parasitic politics, corruption cycles, and why we are still in the state we are now, should give this book a definite read.
No political leader should be deified. None at all.
Power n
Syed Mohammad Rezwan
Jun 13, 2014 Syed Mohammad Rezwan rated it it was amazing
I read different versions of history of 1975 to 1981,but this non-fiction by Anthony Mascarenhas seems much more legit. Even though the period was dark but Nov'75 has always been my favorite area in history of Bangladesh. Coup, re-coup; that was certainly a period of turmoil. I may sound a little heartless but this book is a 'real-life thriller'. This is a perfect example of 'truth is stranger than fiction'. No thriller writer in the whole world can plot this out what our military personnel did.
Isha
May 31, 2016 Isha rated it really liked it
This is a historically insightful book with some particularly fascinating anecdotes. It talks in great detail about the background of the key men involved in bringing about the violent coups and counter-coups in that tumultuous period after independence, and their misplaced nationalism and avarice for power. However, the work seems to be quite opinionated at times, and this somewhat discredits an ostensibly neutral view on the incidents in other areas of the book. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Nazrul Islam
Oct 27, 2015 Nazrul Islam rated it it was amazing
A must read book for every bengali people.How power and lust divert patriot leader's to killer . it's pathetic for us, we can not see our patriot leader in one row rather fighting each other. They all fought for motherland but when it comes to power all went wrong.
This book describe about the anarchic position of bangladesh from 1972-1980 .
Tousif Jamal
Aug 03, 2015 Tousif Jamal rated it it was amazing
A vivid depiction of the first decade of politics in independent Bangladesh. It humanizes the characters of Mujib and Zia in an impartial way as opposed to the portrayal of these two leaders as mythical God like beings in contemporary media. A great read for those who take an interest in historic events.
সাঈদ শিহাব
Apr 18, 2014 সাঈদ শিহাব rated it it was amazing
মুক্তিযুদ্ধের পরবর্তী ইতিহাস জানার খুব ইচ্ছে ছিল কিন্তু গ্রহণযোগ্য কোন বই পাচ্ছিলাম না। অবশেষে এই বইটি আমার আশা মিটিয়েছে। A great book, all Bangladeshi should try it.
Mahjabin Tiny
Mahjabin Tiny rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Salman Mahmud
Salman Mahmud rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
Rafee
Rafee rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Abdullah Mamun
Abdullah Mamun rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Safwath Abedin
Safwath Abedin rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Rezwan Mortuza
Rezwan Mortuza rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2013
Sanchia Reaz
Sanchia Reaz rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Tayeba
Tayeba rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Kazi Kabir
Kazi Kabir rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2015
Jaglul Haider
Jaglul Haider rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Tamanna Ashraf
Tamanna Ashraf rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Hossain
Hossain rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Shuk Pakhi
Shuk Pakhi rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Animesh Mitra
Animesh Mitra rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hunting Che: How a U.S. Special Forces Team Helped Capture the World's Most Famous Revolutionary
  • সাক্ষী ছিলো শিরস্ত্রাণ
  • ক্রাচের কর্নেল
  • একাত্তরের দিনগুলি
  • আট কুঠুরি নয় দরজা
  • রাইফেল, রোটি, আওরাত
  • ছবির দেশে, কবিতার দেশে
  • দেশে বিদেশে
  • গাভী বিত্তান্ত
  • একেই বলে শুটিং (Ekei Bole Shooting)
  • কোয়ান্টাম মেকানিক্স
  • চিলেকোঠার সেপাই
  • কালো বরফ
  • Jungle Lore
  • কিছু শৈশব
  • Q Clearance
  • The James Bond Bedside Companion
  • The Art of War Visualized: The Sun Tzu Classic in Charts and Graphs
Neville Anthony Mascarenhas (10 July 1928 – 3 December 1986) was a Pakistani journalist and author. His works include exposés on the brutality of Pakistan's military during the 1971 independence movement of Bangladesh, The Rape of Bangladesh (1972) and Bangladesh: A Legacy of Blood (1986).

Mascarenhas was born into a Goan Catholic family in Belgaum, and educated in Karachi.He and his wife Yvonne Ma
More about Anthony Mascarenhas...