Start by marking “Pencil Drawing: Learn how to develp drawings from start to finish with techniques for shading, contrast, texture, and detail” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Pencil Drawing includes comprehensive instructions for drawing a variety of subjects in pencil. A renowned master in the field, Gene Franks explains how to develop your drawings from start to finish, teaching specific techniques for shading, contrast, texture, detail, and more. You will learn all aspects of pencil drawing as you follow the easy-to-follow instructions for d ...more
Published January 1st 1988 by Walter Foster Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Pencil Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pencil Drawing

Tabor
Jul 24, 2015 Tabor rated it liked it
Shelves: art
The book basically gives you a little summary of how you should draw with a pencil and tells you how you should draw which is to feel the shapes with a 2H pencil then begin to better define the shapes with an H pencil and start shading from darkest shades to the most defined shades.
Matt
Mar 12, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Pencils are so cool because of texture. When I look at amazing pencil art, I'm pulled in by a palette of patterns. In the absence of color, the artist has to do things to convince that something looks real. Thankfully, life is so full of texture that various techniques could almost convince a viewer that a pencil drawing is a black and white photo.

Gene Franks has mastered many of these textures and can create illustrations that are captivating. I learned a lot from this book and read it over and
KT Mcintyre
Jan 08, 2014 KT Mcintyre rated it it was ok
Naff, not that helpful. Definitely could have explained techniques in more detail. It had some useful parts, e.g. different ways to hold the pencil for different techniques, but overall it didn't give much guidance.

Marwah
Jun 17, 2012 Marwah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I fell in love with Gene Franks drawing style. The details, the textures, and the shading are all reasons why I think this small book is amazing .
Very inspiring book, I enjoyed doing some of projects and I intend to do more.
Nisah Haron
Jan 01, 2013 Nisah Haron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
A simple step-by-step on mastering your drawing with pencils. I have been looking for this kind of basic drawing book. This is one of the most practical I have ever come across!
Sara
Aug 18, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
I've been thoroughly enjoying attempting these drawings and have been pleased with the results.
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Stephanie Simpson
Stephanie Simpson rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Derin
Derin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Hannah Perry
Hannah Perry rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Laki
Laki marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Nilgun Olmez
Nilgun Olmez marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Rokaya
Rokaya is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2015
Salman
Salman marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Sarab
Sarab added it
Nov 03, 2015
Sifo
Sifo added it
Oct 28, 2015
Francisco Alas
Francisco Alas marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Jasper Macariola
Jasper Macariola marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Bibek Poudel
Bibek Poudel marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Mitch
Mitch marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Dmf Pab
Dmf Pab marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Michelle Becerril
Michelle Becerril rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Jibin
Jibin added it
Aug 19, 2015
Liviu
Liviu added it
Aug 18, 2015
Pooja.P.Krishnan
Pooja.P.Krishnan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Blendakurniawan
Blendakurniawan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015