Start by marking “Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)

Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,753 Ratings  ·  1,296 Reviews
Before she goes after the life she’s always wanted, she’s about to find the one she needs.

Pepper has been hopelessly in love with her best friend’s brother, Hunter, for like ever. He’s the key to everything she’s always craved: security, stability, family. But she needs Hunter to notice her as more than just a friend. Even though she’s kissed exactly one guy, she has jus
Published November 5th 2013 by William Morrow

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanSoulless by Gail CarrigerThe Darkest Minds by Alexandra BrackenSince You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
Kéž by vyšlo v ČR, verze 2015
85th out of 383 books — 602 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
New Adult Literature
119th out of 1,233 books — 2,205 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jan 05, 2014 Emily May rated it really liked it

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."
- John Lennon

This book is New Adult. It's contemporary romance. And it's New Adult. I liked it. And it's New Adult. I'm starting to believe that 2014 may be the year when pigs grow wings and take off in flight.

F
Rachel (BAVR)
BE WARNED: GIFs ahead

Ugh. Experiment FAIL.

Let me start with a quick note about names. Yeah, BAVR likes to open with the important stuff. What in the name of all things holy is up with the names in these New Adult books? Here are the names of some of the jerks characters in this book: Pepper, Reece, Emerson, Hunter, and Georgia. On their own, the names are wholly inoffensive, I suppose. I wouldn't name my child any of those things, but it's not like the author named them "Speedboat" or "Kitchen"
Patrycja
Nov 09, 2013 Patrycja rated it it was amazing

img

These days, I mostly bitch about predictabilty, boring plots and themes that are used so many times, I don’t have to read all book to know how it’ll go. Writing unique and refreshing New Adult Book started to be very hard task, as I’ve read so many books in the same taste it’s almost impossible to surprise me. But guess what? Foreplay took me by surprise with it’s predictability (!) and the fact that I freaking loved it anyways. I know crazy, right? I think I’m bipolar.

img

The story follo
Aimee

Idiotic, cliched and bland.Once again, I was tricked into reading another new adult novel with an overused storyline. See, all those stereotypes(yes, the negative ones)associated with new adult books are in this one. Let's make a checklist, friends.

1.) The inexperienced, supposedly "intelligent" heroine--Pepper. Oh dear Lord, where do I even start? Pepper's our resident elitist bitch and virgin. She needs to get her foot out of her ass and really get to know people before she puts them down and
Keertana
Jan 06, 2014 Keertana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Keertana by: Emily May
Do me a favor and disregard everything you've heard about this book. (Especially if you've read the synopsis.) And, while you're at it, throw out those pre-conceived notions you may have looking at the cover or title of this novel.

Hmm...ready to listen? Foreplay is, in a few simple words, a genuinely good New Adult title.

Now that you've gone off in a huff, called me crazy, shut down your laptops and hastily logged back in, I'll use a few more words, shall I?

Jordan's Foreplay is about Pepper. Fro
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
This was pretty typical for the NA genre. But it was well written and I liked the characters for the most part. It was single POV, from the heroine. There really wasn't anything that I didn't like about it, it just didn't stand out for me.

Some of the basics:

Virgin meets tattooed bad boy
Both had "damaged" pasts
College-ish setting (she's 19 and in college, he's 24 and dropped out)
h in pining for her BFFs older brother

Foreplay is the story of Pepper (loved the name btw) and Reese. Pepper has been
Ailene♥
Nov 08, 2013 Ailene♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
A 19 year old who's been in love with her best friend's brother for the longest time. The brother just broke up with his girlfriend so along came her chance of making him fall in love with her. However, there's just one bit of a problem. She's totally inexperienced... yep, she's a virgin. So she and her friends came up with an idea to get the training from some other guy... preferably a hot, tattooed bartender.

I really don't mind reading books with cliché story line because sometimes I still do
Jen
Dec 30, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I loved this little bit of NA goodness! Well done all the way around. I can't wait to read Georgia's story.
Tera
Apr 17, 2013 Tera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Smart and steamy, the perfect mix of romance, emotion and heat.
Molly
Aug 13, 2013 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult-maybe
I'm continuing to read titles marketed as NA, and this one caught my eye because it's from an established YA and adult romance writer and published in paperback by an imprint of a Big 6(5) publishing house (HarperCollins).

It has all the hallmarks of NA -- 1) tattooed supposedly "bad boy/player" 2) a heroine with a past of sexual abuse/rape/etc 3) main characters who are lower middle to lower class 4) little actual "college" beyond bars/sex 5) contrived plot to bring the main characters together
Mitchii
This is the story of a bad boy with a reputation that precedes him and the goody two-shoes girl who wants to experience being with a bad boy—first. Sounds cliché? I already pass my judgment without even reading it. But can you blame me? This has been done over and over again. I’m not against recycled plot but at least offer something new. Something different despite the originality being an issue.

My introduction sounds negative right? But don’t fret good people I actually liked this book. Yes, i
Jacqueline's Reads
Feb 22, 2014 Jacqueline's Reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
4 Super Cute Stars

Pepper is a virgin. She doesn’t go on dates nor has any interest in them. She’s awkward, shy and very naïve when it comes to sex. Her long time crush Hunter, is recently single and this is finally Pepper’s chance to snag her crush. She just needs confidence sexually. Pepper’s girlfriends decide Pepper needs to find a hot guy to teach her the art of foreplay. Sexy bartender Reece is the guy that is happy to step up to the plate and help Pepper.

Foreplay is a super adorable easy,
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Well, here I am again. I fell for the hype and came out a black sheep. As much as I don’t like the existence of New Adult as a classification, I am totally up for books about people transitioning into adulthood. As such, I keep hoping that the age classification will produce books that will actually cover that time of life and its issues, rather than just being a garden variety romance novel that mak
Naoms
Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

I already know what negative reviews of this book will say. They will say they’ve read this story before and that it’s not unique and I am going to say…whatever. Not a very strong argument, I know, but I enjoyed this book. When I opened Sophie Jordan’s FOREPLAY, I was really stressed out. It was 48 hours before an intense deadline and I needed a break. I tried other books, but I could not get into them. FOREPLAY pulled me in right away. Why? Because I unde
Javiera
Apr 20, 2016 Javiera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encontraba en una resaca literia, nada me entusiasmaba y dije "Javiera, vuelve a los guilty pleasure, vuelve a los libros de chica buena se enamora de chico malo y quiere todo de él"; bueno, eso hice y pude salir de la resaca. Dios como amo estos libros.

Nunca habia leído algo de esta autora y me encanto la forma de narrar, es comoda y cuenta lo justo y necesario. Es un libro super rápido de leer, te engancha inmediatamente y se basa en lo mismo de siempre ... chica buena conoce a chico con pr
Luzie
Mar 21, 2016 Luzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book quite a bit. It wasn`t at all what i was expecting, but not in a negative way. The difference was that the book focused more on the needs of emotion rather than the lust-filled feeling i get with quite a lot of other books in this genre. Pepper and Reece, well, what do i have to say about them? Instead of the usual difficulties they had the trust issues other clichees had. I think that was the one factor that kept the book from a five-star book. Pepper was a real cute character, ...more
Sarah Darlington

6 stars! Exactly what I look for and love in a NA novel! MUST BUY!

So, I devoured Sophie Jordan's YA Firelight series a few years back...and when I saw she wrote a NA book, I bought it on the spot!

Then I read it straight through unable to stop myself. Reese was perfect. Hottie bartender. Loved Pepper too. Nice HEA with no cliffhanger.

Perfect. Just the right amount of friction, sweetness, and angst. For a book called Foreplay the sex was only mildly hot. Not the hottest thing I
Didi
Nov 10, 2013 Didi rated it really liked it
What happens when the one you want isn't the one you need?

What happens when pretend turns out to be real?

What happens when you finally get the one you want only to realize he's not?

To answer all these questions, you have got to read Foreplay. Pepper has been pining for Hunter for as long as she could remember. He's her best friends brother and what she's always considered her future.

If he ever saw her as more than a little sister. Or a friend.

Pepper's inexperienced. She longs to be a seductress,
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Not the best, not the worst. I won't bore you with the details of Pepper's Special Snowflake complex or Reece's average hotness. Instead, I'll provide you with some of my favorite Taylor Townsend moments, since those just kept popping in my head through the book since Reece described Pepper as "all cream and peaches".

Jasprit
Foreplay was one of those guilty pleasure reads that I knew how things would go down for our characters, but I didn’t care because I enjoyed the build up and tension along the way.

Pepper has always had her eyes set on Hunter, her best friends brother, he’d been the ideal guy that she needed after her up and down life that she’d had and when thinks were looking rough for her too Hunter was one of the first people to give her a chance. Despite having a crush on Hunter for the longest time and choo
Jaime Arkin
I’m always leery about New Adult books these days, so I tend to lower my expectations when I pick one up. Add to that, I haven’t read anything from Sophie Jordan and I was definitely wary. But I can honestly say that I truly enjoyed Foreplay.

Having grown up in a less than ideal household, and then shuffled off to her grandmother’s house Pepper hasn’t had an easy life. She’s in love with her best friend’s brother. Hunter has been the man of her dreams for as long as she can remember, and when he
Kate Bond
Jul 31, 2013 Kate Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-favorites, arc

I try to rate things on a scale within their genres, and this is just really an excellent example of how New Adult can be done well.

Great friendships among women, sexiness that isn't awkward or dumb, and really complex, lovely characters. Review to come. I loved this book.
Huntley Fitzpatrick
Nov 07, 2013 Huntley Fitzpatrick rated it it was amazing
Of all the NA books I've read, this is far and away my favorite. Gorgeous, smart and sexy (like both lead characters), it completely resonated with me. Loved it. One of those instant-reread-your-favorite-scenes books.
Teryna90
Mar 18, 2015 Teryna90 rated it really liked it
"This wasn't a fling.
It was less than that. It was us pretending.
Playing at something more"

I don't remember the last time I've read a new adult with a pretty common plot that made me shiver, smile, laugh, and love all at once. This book sure isn't perfect, and sure isn't "special" but it sure is heartmelting! My feels were going up and down like a teeter totter. I'm pretty picky on new adults and love stories, so if I gave it 4 stars it means it really deserves it!!! This book I'm pretty sur
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Sophie Jordan knows how to write that perfect sizzling character chemistry where you just want to shove the main characters together and keep them together for the entire story. You know a guilty pleasures author has done their job when you find yourself yearning for the two main love interests when they're not in every seen together. Okay, maybe that's also called being greedy, but I can't help it, I loved Reese and Pepper.

Pepper is a character I totally love. She's that sweet, innocent, girl n
Beatrix
Jul 10, 2014 Beatrix rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of NA college romance
Well, this was better than most of the New Adult crap out there. There was no your typical alpha male, for which I was glad.
(Main female character, on the other hand, was so boring I can already see I won't remember anything about her in a month. And of course, she was a virgin, so there's that stereotype.)
But in general, not a bad book.

Although, if you've read your fair share of NA books, you won't find this particularly compelling, because this book won't offer you anything new, no new insight
freenightfalls
May 22, 2016 freenightfalls rated it really liked it
I'm in love with Reece :3 Guys with eyebrow piercings are so hot. Pepper is, on the other hand, dumb, insecure and blind.

Their first make-out session was so hot! I loved it, and that's why I enjoy rereading some parts of this book from time to time.
Heather
Feb 12, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, 2014
Foreplay made for an excellent addition to my smut collection. As is standard for the New Adult genre, our main characters are "damaged", but incredibly attractive, the steam is satisfying and you can easily read this sucker in about 3 hours. Not a bad haul.
Shania Tasker
May 04, 2015 Shania Tasker rated it liked it
This was a good book but there was one thing I that I would have liked to see; I would have really liked to read Reece and Pepper's relationship after they got together. The build was cute and all, but I would have really liked to see their relationship progress a little further
  • One & Only (Canton, #1)
  • A Little Too Far (A Little Too Far, #1)
  • Everything Between Us
  • Third Degree
  • Game. Set. Match. (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #1)
  • Deeper (Caroline & West, #1)
  • Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't, #1)
  • All Broke Down (Rusk University, #2)
  • Sweet (True Believers, #2)
  • Fifty First Times: A New Adult Anthology
  • Ruined (The Eternal Balance, #1)
  • Fighting Fate (Granton University, #1)
  • Stir Me Up
  • Blue Notes
  • By Referral Only (Whitman University, #2)
  • Frigid (Frigid, #1)
  • The Truths about Dating and Mating (Riordan College, #1)
  • I See London (International School, #1)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

The Ivy Chronicles (3 books)
  • Tease (The Ivy Chronicles, #2)
  • Wild (The Ivy Chronicles, #3)

“You can’t even see it. I’m the safest thing you’ll ever find” 28 likes