Start by marking “In Search of Ireland” as Want to Read:
In Search of Ireland

In Search of Ireland

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Originally published in 1930, this book is a collection of witty and heart warming tales from the authors travels around Ireland. It is very clearly written with a huge fondness and is accompanied by picturesque photographs. 'I would like to hope that this book of mine may help, in no matter how small a way, to encourage English people to spend their holidays in Ireland an ...more
Paperback
Published by Hesperides Press (first published April 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Ireland

Ron Caves
An English journalist tours Ireland 10 or so years after independence and muses on Irish history, identity and character and how it compares with that of England. Some passages are now rather dated, often quaintly so, but the book still resonates.

A favourite quote from the book, particularly as it springs from a description of the Mountains of Mourne, the stomping ground of my youth:
"I have often wondered during my travels in Ireland whether this country would have produced so many saints had sh
Michelle
I love H.V. Morton, so right after I bought my plane ticket to Ireland, I bought this book.

Being one of his earlier works, it does contain several redundant passages, including multiple odd, annoying riffs on "primitive" country maids, and how different they are from the vain, fashion-obsessed women he encountered in London.

Nevertheless, it's a solid book overall -- a fascinating record of the Irish Free State, written in Morton's engaging, conversational style.
Richard Craig
Like all of Morton's books,he brings to life the peoples,places and customs he visits.He has a gift of melting into the background the people he observes seemingly unaware of his masterly presence.I am glad to boast that I own a first edition.This man sets the standard to which all other travelogue aspire.
Review by Richard.E.Craig
Olga
A wonderful, informative and a kind of poetic book about Ireland!
Kith
Mar 10, 2011 Kith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Путешествие отважного хоббита в страну фейри.
Kevin
Kevin added it
Dec 07, 2014
Ekaterina Kataeva
Ekaterina Kataeva marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rodney Jones
Rodney Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Manfred
Manfred marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Daegan
Daegan is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Vaishnavi
Vaishnavi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Paul Fowler
Paul Fowler is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2013
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Henry Canova Vollam (H. V.) Morton, FRSL, was a journalist and pioneering travel writer from Lancashire, England, best known for his prolific and popular books on Britain and the Holy Land. He first achieved fame in 1923 when, while working for the Daily Express, he scooped the official Times correspondent during the coverage of the opening of the Tomb of Tutankhamon by Howard Carter in Egypt.

In t
More about H.V. Morton...
In Search Of England A Traveller in Rome In Search Of London A Traveller In Italy In Search of Scotland