She Stoops to Conquer

She Stoops to Conquer

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  5,126 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Wealthy countryman Mr. Hardcastle arranges for his daughter Kate to meet Charles Marlow, the son of a wealthy Londoner, hoping the pair will marry. Unfortunately Marlow is nervous around upper-class women, yet the complete opposite around lower-class females. On his first acquaintance with Kate, the latter realises she will have to pretend to be common, or Marlow will not...more
Published December 28th 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1773)

To ask other readers questions about She Stoops to Conquer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Stoops to Conquer

Lauren
It’s rare that I get to review a play after both reading and seeing it in a short period of time (although I've now had the chance to do that twice within a month).

Admittedly, I’m predisposed to like She Stoops to Conquer I like Oliver Goldsmith and consider The Vicar of Wakefield tremendously underrated. I held off reading She Stoops to Conquer simply because Mr. Goldsmith doesn’t have an extensive bibliography, and I want to savor his works.

She Stoops to Conquer was worth the wait as both a pi...more
Alyssa Archambo
I went into this book with very little expectation. I mean, it's a supposed classic that I've never heard of, and drama isn't my particular favorite. However, it was a free audiobook download from Sync this summer, and it was the recording of a theater production that included James Marsters (eek!). It's also only a couple of hours long (not a huge commitment at all), so I decided to give it a go.

Um, why haven't I heard of this play before? Because it's hilarious! 20 minutes in, I was laughing n...more
Abby
Aug 05, 2014 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People afraid of heavy reading, but in need of some good old fashioned humour.
This play is really unique because even though it uses 18th century language, it's pretty easy to understand, and really funny! I didn't think I'd actually laugh out loud, but I did! Some parts needed reading twice to understand, but that was fine. A very enjoyable read!
Hager
choose between putting your fiance in a challenege and test to see whether or not they do believe in true love of feelings and not that of emotions and find out for yourself whether or not they deserve your true love and decency or not.
is it true that a woman could win the heart of any man she wishes in such as stooping to conquer method?and what about what seems to be a saloon marriage which ends up in a modernly fashionable way of getting around fate to win more love and respect for wittiness...more
Clovis
I had to check the dictionary more often compared to when reading regular books. And sometimes, the dictionary doesn't even contain the words from this 1700's comedy! Other than that, it was pretty funny. I bet that it's more hilarious when performed. (Got to check out if there's some on YouTube.)
Sylvia
A surprisingly funny and readable play with the classic Shakespeare-style mistaken identity twists but without the heavy wordplay. I quite liked it, to my surprise, even though I embarked upon reading it mostly as a sort of compare/contrast with Shakespeare thing.

Goldsmith and Shakespeare weren't contemporaries, the former being born a hundred years after the latter's death, but it seems the plot of comedic plays hadn't evolved too much in the interim. Rhyming prologue, five acts, one romance,...more
Rebecca
It has been a while since I've sat down and read through a play but I do enjoy reading through plays so I was quite interested in reading She Stoops to Conquer.

The story line of She Stoops to Conquer was quite an interesting story. It’s typical of a romantic comedy although in reading about this play after, I discovered that there is a large debate over which type of comedy this play contains.

I was lucky enough to listen to this through audio but I found an ebook version online to read through a...more
Alice
I listened to an audio performance of this play, knowing very little about it or the author going in. It was a pleasant surprise. She Stoops to Conquer has aged well, and, I feel, should be studied alongside Austen.

The play predates Austen by about 30 years, but it fills in a lot of the gaps in Austen's work. She rarely acknowledges servants or employees of any kind, while this play highlights, if not the people themselves, how the gentry treated them.

Marlow is a painfully shy young man, off to...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
If you've never read or seen a comedy of errors or farcical play like those of William Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde, then you might find this more entertaining than I did. Having studied Wilde's slightly more modern The Importance of Being Earnest in great detail as a teenager and later watching An Ideal Husband, you come to realise this genre is little more than a one-trick pony; if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Besides minimal alterations in events, only the cast and the production va...more
Henry
A light-hearted romantic comedy, set in an English country house in or around the year it was written (1771). I enjoyed it pretty well. I can't say it's hilarious but certainly funny and I can imagine it on stage or as a movie and it could be funny in that form. Two quotes:

"Faith, I have often formed a resolution to break the ice, and rattle away at any rate. But I don't know how, a single glance from a pair of fine eyes has totally overset my resolution. An impudent fellow may counterfeit modes...more
American Shakespeare Center
One of the comic jewels of the English theatre, She Stoops to Conquer lampoons the quirks and customs of 18th-century England, from matchmaking and marriage to character and class. Aptly subtitled The Mistakes of a Night, this light-hearted farce turns several imminent romances upside-down through an absurd series of deceptions, disguises, and mistaken identities. It’s a wildly funny romp through the English countryside.

Come see it live onstage at the American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Pl...more
Leslie
4½ stars. This full cast audiobook was a fun way to revisit one of my favorite Restoration comedies. However, I did find that some of the humor was a bit harder to visualize listening rather than reading.
Jessi
A short play about courting. Tony Lumpkin doesn't want to marry his cousin, Miss Neville, even though his mother highly encourages the act. His sister (step-sister really) is about to meet the husband picked out for her by her father. Neither lady is very excited about the match. Apparently Miss Hardcastle (his sister) has been told that her husband is "bashful," a thing she cannot abide. And for her part, Miss Neville has a suitor that she is much more interested in.
Both of the suitors are head...more
Judy
I haven't listened to many audiobook dramatizations of plays- but this was a lot of fun!
Jacqueline
My grandfather gave me an old book of plays when I was a young teenager. This was one of my favorites. It's basically a romantic farce. It has held up pretty well since it was first performed in London in 1773. It is very accessible since I read it at probably 13 years old. So if you're at all interested in seeing what was being performed on stage between Shakespeare and Cats, give it a try.
Betty
Silly, clever little play that I did not expect to like at all and became entranced by it. It is so simple yet there are numerous twists and turns...very delightful and highly amusing. I had never heard of it, yet after reading I had heard it mentioned several times since. I guess I was alone in my ignorance but I'm delighted to have discovered this little gem. Thoroughly delightful!
Nada Adel Sobhi
Not one of the best plays ever, but certainly a fairly good one.
It is also good to know where the quote "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no tales" came from. Though in "She Stoops to Conquer" the quote was "Ask me no questions, I'll tell no fibs."

I liked the ending. It is fairly comic - not the Egyptian comedy but nonetheless fairly funny.
Rex Libris
She Stoops to Conquer is a play about a series of mistaken identities. Two friends have arranged a marriage between their children, and the young man and woman are to meet for the first time. Meanwhile the young woman's resentful step-brother tells the would-be suitor that the house is actually an inn, and the suitor treats the parents and fiancee as servants. Meanwhile the suitor's best friend is arranging to elope with the step-brother's fiancee.

While the story is entertaining enough in its ow...more
Mandy Maryan
To this I adore so much and I am now on the second showing of the screen adaptation, I would read this everyday if I could fit it in, its witty, and its brilliantly written, the setting is amazing I love every character in this book, I would highly recommend it to any avid book reader.
this book which was written as a reaction against sentimental comedy falls under the category of a comedy of manners or a laughing comedy. I had to read this for college but i actually enjoyed it. I read it in just one sitting. This is an easy read that is quite funny.
Nick Thomas
Don't be entirely seduced by the thigh-slapping period appeal of this magnificent play. At a deeper level Goldsmith is dealing with the eternal tension between sexual appetite and social personality. It is a truly fascinating exploration!
Lori
Very entertaining!!! If you are listening to the audio version be prepared to laugh out loud.
Danielle Sanzone
A great read.....but I love seeing it performed too.
Albert
It was funny. But it could of been funnier.

I liked the devious Tony Lumpkin and hilarious servants
but the thing I didn't like was main character, she could of been more forward and less extravagant with her alter-ego.

The play is good though, it's a domestic romantic comedy that will have you laughing.

It has a mix of physical comedy and some black comedy as well
primarily concerning men and women and how they are sooooo wacky with each other
as well as some satire on social class
Melissa Rudder
The Goon
Here's the deal, I love to read plays and I think this play was 'ok' for reading. I mean, I did think that the plot was a little flimsy and I could see the plot twists from a mile away.

While reading it, I couldn't help but feel that I'd read this play already, or maybe some other play that was very, very similar. To be fair, there's probably some movie that stole the whole plot in it's entirety and I've watched it and forgotten it. It's not like anyone is coming up with anything new these days....more
Tryn
This is a vivacious and farcical play, but not very memorable for me. At times I had the feeling I had read it before, probably in college, but I had almost entirely forgotten it. The setting is the English countryside. The inciting incident is a practical joke. Two young men are told that a private house—a house they have been invited to visit— is an inn, so when they arrive, they order dinner, put the chatty landlord (master of the house) in his place, and mistake his daughter for a barmaid. T...more
Lori
I thought this was a delightful play. There were some scenes where I was happy to be alone because I laughed out loud as I read them. I appreciate that our heroine is in on, and part of, the deception that is played on her unsuspecting suitor. She is able to see his potential and get to know him before he can resort to his stammering, self-conscious habits. A fun read.
Emily
I laughed out loud while reading this today. Perfect quick read to pick you up if you are ever in need of silliness. Mind you it's 18th century silliness which is my cup of tea. Others may say, "pshaw!" But Marlow's meeting with Miss Hardcastle had me stitches!
Mark Muckerman
I feel as though I rate it unfairly with two stars, yet I must because of its difficulty. The premise is sound, and I would imagine when well performed, it is an outstanding piece of theater. However, plays, by their very nature and structure, are a difficult read, and this one is compounded by the difficulties of deciphering 250 year old vernacular. Similar problems exist with Shakespeare: The story is excellent and the wit sublime - once you can comprehend it. However the labor required sucks...more
18th Century Enth...: She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith 1 2 Oct 19, 2012 05:16AM
  • The School for Scandal
  • The Duchess of Malfi
  • Anna in the Tropics
  • The Little Foxes
  • The Playboy of the Western World
The Anglo-Irish poet, dramatist, novelist, and essayist Oliver Goldsmith wrote, translated, or compiled more than 40 volumes. The works for which he is remembered are marked by good sense, moderation, balance, order, and intellectual honesty.
More about Oliver Goldsmith...
The Vicar of Wakefield The Deserted Village and Other Poems Treasury Of Aesop's Fables An Elegy on the Death of a Mad Dog (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) The Citizen of the World, Or, Letters from a Chinese Philosopher, Residing in London, to His Friends in the Country, by Dr. Goldsmith (Vol. 1 of 2)

“Modesty seldom resides in a breast that is not enriched with nobler virtues.” 5 likes
“Where commerce and capitalism are invloved, often times, morality and honor sink to the bottom-Oliver Goldsmith paraphrased” 3 likes