Start by marking “Head First HTML and CSS: A Learner's Guide to Creating Standards-Based Web Pages” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Head First HTML and CS...

Elisabeth Robson

Head First HTML and CSS: A Learner's Guide to Creating Standards-Based Web Pages (Head First Series)

Tired of reading HTML books that only make sense after you're an expert? Then it's about time you picked up Head First HTML and really learned HTML. You want to learn HTML so you can finally create those web pages you've always wanted, so you can communicate more effectively with friends, family, fans, and fanatic customers. You also want to do it right so you can actually ...more
Published August 16th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Head First HTML and CSS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First HTML and CSS

Camila N.
Oct 21, 2015 Camila N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I used to learn things I liked (mostly programming languages and web development) from online courses. The main problem I encountered was that they always reviewed the basics. I mean every-single-course taught the same stuff. Always.

After a few dozens of this kind of courses (and of course, always working with some online reference) I realized I still wasn't ready to actually build anything. I wasn't comfortable with the things I knew, feeling like there was some kind of pro-secret-place where t
Petras Janulevicius
Brilliant introduction to learn and memorise html & css + the newest edition has a pathway of how html evolved from html to html5.

P.s. recommended only if you are a beginner or wish to have proper basic understanding of what html and css is.
Sarabeth
Apr 29, 2015 Sarabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This intro to HTML and CSS gave me a start into understanding how to create a simple web page. I really liked how the information you learn is repackaged a few different ways, so if you don't get it the first time you often do the next .
Rob
Oct 06, 2012 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolute beginners at the web. (Liberal arts students, stubborn/cheap small business owners.)
Shelves: technical, own, 2012, css
I picked this one up as schwag at a conference I attended/spoke at; I was pretty clearly not the audience for this book but at the same time: hey, free book. It's definitely for "absolute beginners" re "programming" [1] for the web with HTML and CSS. Which isn't to say that it isn't without its merits. On the plus side, Robson et al. introduce the box model and doctypes and selector inheritance and a bunch of other concepts that a lot of self-taught early stage web developers don't learn about u ...more
Lori
Dec 28, 2013 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I love the Head First series of books, but this one was very tedious to read. My main complaint is that the book teaches you to do something one way and then later shows you a more efficient way to do the same thing. Why waste my time with 20 some pages of inefficient markup that I'm just going to delete a few pages later and replace with better code? My second complaint is that there is too much repetition. It takes a good 10 pages to make simple changes to the example websites, because the aut ...more
Mani
Jan 14, 2016 Mani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-develpment
I was getting frustrated with the holes in my HTML while building out some Ruby/Rails apps. This book did a great job of loading what I needed in my brain.

I've always trusted Head First to get stuff in my brain, starting with Head First Java over a decade ago and most importantly Head First Design Patterns back around 2004.

Though initially I didn't trust what felt like an overly cartoon approach to teaching software engineering, I soon discovered that they knew what they were doing.

The book can
Bassim Gazuani
Oct 13, 2014 Bassim Gazuani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a beginner, this is really a good start, it'll set you off with the basics and bases of HTML & CSS, note that it will not show you a LOT of things but heck HTML cannot be contained in one book in my opinion.. I've read this book and i believe i can understand and deal with any website structure out there, but after all HTML & CSS alone is like the monalisa , it looks good but it's untouchable!! so after reading this book, go ahead and grab the HTML5 programming book or something else ...more
Thiago Davoodifar
Feb 24, 2014 Thiago Davoodifar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study, web-design
Head First HTML and CSS has been an amazing instructor in my self-made Web Design course. I have relearned all I knew and much much more. The format is easy to follow and you really feel as though you are becoming more proficient with HTML and CSS coding. I recommen this book to anyone starting out with web design as well as anyone who wants to teach themselves starting at the foundations.
EC
Mar 07, 2016 EC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, web-development
I picked up this book as a way to brush up on HTML/CSS and to try to catch up on some of the new developments. I was skeptical about the approach this series takes. I like the concept but wasn't sure it would work for me. It did and I picked up a few things along the way. One piece of advice, you need to be able to write in the book so it's best to get the printed version rather than then ebook. Although if you've borrowed a book in this series (Head First) from the library, writing your answers ...more
Tracy E.
Nov 15, 2012 Tracy E. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginners with PC skills
As others have already summed it nicely, this is a great 101 introduction to basic web design. It could easily be used as textbook for a class. I recommend this one first, and then The Complete Idiot's Guide to HTML5 and CSS3 for beginners who want to learn how to make a site from ground up to a full site, rather than using limiting templates. This one dissects the nuts and bolts, and the other book helps you put it into action.
Dave Guymon
May 03, 2013 Dave Guymon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having known nothing about building a website before reading this book, this was the perfect introduction. However, it is much more than just a primer. I devoured this 710 page book in less than two weeks. It was that interesting. Definitely worth the time and money. I just finished building my first website on my own using what I learned about HTML and CSS from this book. The book is visual, user-friendly, and funny as well.
Jeff
Mar 07, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a training book, I thought this approach was spectacular. A very methodical step-by-step approach to writing HTML and CSS. And, it was entertaining! The examples were easy to understand and follow, and it was simple to apply these techniques to my own needs. If you are going to get into web design, this is definitely a great place to start.
Trisha Cornelius
Jan 27, 2013 Trisha Cornelius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a basic primer on html and css. Most of the information is solid and great for a beginner, but it would be nice if there was a greater focus on accessibility issues (like including a language attribute in the html tag).

If you know nothing about the topic than this is a good starting point.
Jen P
Dec 22, 2015 Jen P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyable read, easy to follow. Already a little outdated on some of the links, but it was easy enough to figure out the correct links. I made it through the book in about 2-3 weeks (and only because I did an hour or so at a time).

Now maybe I can bring my web pages out of the late 1990s ... And on to JavaScript next!
Andrew Tatge
Great at steadily introducing you to concepts and helping you retain them. I was reading the second edition and finding the corresponding files online instead of the first edition files took some doing. Without using the correct files you might spend a fair amount of one confounded, though working through that has its own benefits.
Katya Kean
Jun 04, 2013 Katya Kean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katya by: derek sivers
Fun and easy-to-read. I got this book after reading Derek Sivers' recommendation. The PDF version is really handy. I love the exercises and plentiful illustrations.

The authors have had some issues with their starter files, so check out their blog for updates. It's nothing that can't be worked around.
James Benavides
May 04, 2013 James Benavides rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good way to learn the basics of HTML and CSS. The book is easy to read and the exercises provide good hands on examples of using HTML5. I would definitely recommend this book for someone who knows little or nothing on how to build a website.
Janvier Pakaew
Good for Beginners and Intermediate alike. For those who want an introduction and a bit of solid foundation to HTML and CSS, It will cover the things that you need to know. Surely it's a fun and enjoyable experience from beginning to end. :D
Simon Sundboell
Dec 06, 2013 Simon Sundboell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns
Great starter book. Very easy level, sometimes way too easy - but on the other hand, worth it to get all the basics down right, if you're starting from that level anyway.

Conversational writing style, easy to understand, good basis for further self-education.
Prashant Singh
May 19, 2016 Prashant Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-development
Best Introductory book for HTML,CSS.
This book tells the purpose of each item used to build a web page .
-GET and POST, name attribute of input element, position property, etc are explained nicely.
-CSS selectors are explained conceptually. like div#green > blockquote p {color: red}
Nigel Francis
Jan 17, 2015 Nigel Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. I like the crazy format. Not the norm, but works extremely well. A book not to be missed if you don't like reams of data thrown at you. NF.
Giulia Lynch
Nov 30, 2014 Giulia Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful! I've learned so much about HTML and CSS. I highly recommend this book for beginner coders. I plan to keep this book forever.
Pernille
Feb 28, 2016 Pernille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did notfor a second believe that a book on HTML / CSS could be entertaining and educational at the same time. I do now.
Oscar
Mar 28, 2016 Oscar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring Web Developers
Extremely easy book to read and understand. Would definitely recommend to anybody that questions their ability to learn and complete a book.
Lisa
Apr 05, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uni-stuff
Very nice guide with a lot of helpful tasks and examples to do and solve on your own. I learned a lot with this and I enjoyed how light and playful it was written.
Heather
May 23, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book concept! The authors really put a lot of effort into making a textbook interesting, non-frustrating, and memorable. I would definitely recommend it for beginners.
Brett Stark
Brett Stark rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Стася
Стася rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Stefanie
Dec 03, 2013 Stefanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Great format for an educational read. Made learning fun. :)
Michael Larsen
Michael Larsen rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Head First HTML5 Programming
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Head First Web Design
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Head First JavaScript
  • On Web Typography
  • Creating Flow with OmniFocus
  • WordPress: The Missing Manual
  • Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Python for Kids
  • Typographic Design: Form and Communication
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Design Basics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry