Start by marking “Head First HTML and CSS” as Want to Read:
Head First HTML and CSS

Elisabeth Robson

Head First HTML and CSS

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Tired of reading HTML books that only make sense after you're an expert? Then it's about time you picked up Head First HTML and really learned HTML. You want to learn HTML so you can finally create those web pages you've always wanted, so you can communicate more effectively with friends, family, fans, and fanatic customers. You also want to do it right so you can actually ...more
Published August 16th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Head First HTML and CSS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First HTML and CSS

Camila N.
I used to learn things I liked (mostly programming languages and web development) from online courses. The main problem I encountered was that they always reviewed the basics. I mean every-single-course taught the same stuff. Always.

After a few dozens of this kind of courses (and of course, always working with some online reference) I realized I still wasn't ready to actually build anything. I wasn't comfortable with the things I knew, feeling like there was some kind of pro-secret-place where t
Thiago Davoodifar
Head First HTML and CSS has been an amazing instructor in my self-made Web Design course. I have relearned all I knew and much much more. The format is easy to follow and you really feel as though you are becoming more proficient with HTML and CSS coding. I recommen this book to anyone starting out with web design as well as anyone who wants to teach themselves starting at the foundations.
Rob
Oct 06, 2012 Rob rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolute beginners at the web. (Liberal arts students, stubborn/cheap small business owners.)
Shelves: 2012, css, technical, own
I picked this one up as schwag at a conference I attended/spoke at; I was pretty clearly not the audience for this book but at the same time: hey, free book. It's definitely for "absolute beginners" re "programming" [1] for the web with HTML and CSS. Which isn't to say that it isn't without its merits. On the plus side, Robson et al. introduce the box model and doctypes and selector inheritance and a bunch of other concepts that a lot of self-taught early stage web developers don't learn about u ...more
Lori
I love the Head First series of books, but this one was very tedious to read. My main complaint is that the book teaches you to do something one way and then later shows you a more efficient way to do the same thing. Why waste my time with 20 some pages of inefficient markup that I'm just going to delete a few pages later and replace with better code? My second complaint is that there is too much repetition. It takes a good 10 pages to make simple changes to the example websites, because the aut ...more
Jennifer Persinger
Enjoyable read, easy to follow. Already a little outdated on some of the links, but it was easy enough to figure out the correct links. I made it through the book in about 2-3 weeks (and only because I did an hour or so at a time).

Now maybe I can bring my web pages out of the late 1990s ... And on to JavaScript next!
Jeff
For a training book, I thought this approach was spectacular. A very methodical step-by-step approach to writing HTML and CSS. And, it was entertaining! The examples were easy to understand and follow, and it was simple to apply these techniques to my own needs. If you are going to get into web design, this is definitely a great place to start.
Bassim Gazuani
For a beginner, this is really a good start, it'll set you off with the basics and bases of HTML & CSS, note that it will not show you a LOT of things but heck HTML cannot be contained in one book in my opinion.. I've read this book and i believe i can understand and deal with any website structure out there, but after all HTML & CSS alone is like the monalisa , it looks good but it's untouchable!! so after reading this book, go ahead and grab the HTML5 programming book or something else ...more
Giulia Fiora
This book is wonderful! I've learned so much about HTML and CSS. I highly recommend this book for beginner coders. I plan to keep this book forever.
Tracy E. Hieatt
Nov 15, 2012 Tracy E. Hieatt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginners with PC skills
As others have already summed it nicely, this is a great 101 introduction to basic web design. It could easily be used as textbook for a class. I recommend this one first, and then The Complete Idiot's Guide to HTML5 and CSS3 for beginners who want to learn how to make a site from ground up to a full site, rather than using limiting templates. This one dissects the nuts and bolts, and the other book helps you put it into action.
Nigel Francis
Very good. I like the crazy format. Not the norm, but works extremely well. A book not to be missed if you don't like reams of data thrown at you. NF.
Dave Guymon
Having known nothing about building a website before reading this book, this was the perfect introduction. However, it is much more than just a primer. I devoured this 710 page book in less than two weeks. It was that interesting. Definitely worth the time and money. I just finished building my first website on my own using what I learned about HTML and CSS from this book. The book is visual, user-friendly, and funny as well.
Andrew Tatge
Great at steadily introducing you to concepts and helping you retain them. I was reading the second edition and finding the corresponding files online instead of the first edition files took some doing. Without using the correct files you might spend a fair amount of one confounded, though working through that has its own benefits.
Katya Kean
Jun 04, 2013 Katya Kean rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katya by: derek sivers
Fun and easy-to-read. I got this book after reading Derek Sivers' recommendation. The PDF version is really handy. I love the exercises and plentiful illustrations.

The authors have had some issues with their starter files, so check out their blog for updates. It's nothing that can't be worked around.
Trisha Cornelius
This book is a basic primer on html and css. Most of the information is solid and great for a beginner, but it would be nice if there was a greater focus on accessibility issues (like including a language attribute in the html tag).

If you know nothing about the topic than this is a good starting point.
Heather
Awesome book concept! The authors really put a lot of effort into making a textbook interesting, non-frustrating, and memorable. I would definitely recommend it for beginners.
Simon Sundboell
Great starter book. Very easy level, sometimes way too easy - but on the other hand, worth it to get all the basics down right, if you're starting from that level anyway.

Conversational writing style, easy to understand, good basis for further self-education.
James Benavides
This was a good way to learn the basics of HTML and CSS. The book is easy to read and the exercises provide good hands on examples of using HTML5. I would definitely recommend this book for someone who knows little or nothing on how to build a website.
Janvier Pakaew
Good for Beginners and Intermediate alike. For those who want an introduction and a bit of solid foundation to HTML and CSS, It will cover the things that you need to know. Surely it's a fun and enjoyable experience from beginning to end. :D
Lisa
Very nice guide with a lot of helpful tasks and examples to do and solve on your own. I learned a lot with this and I enjoyed how light and playful it was written.
مشرّف السّـكران
great book to start with front end development for web applications
Tamara
Great for beginners and people doing a quick review.
Stefanie
Great format for an educational read. Made learning fun. :)
Kelley (Against GR Censorship)
Great beginners explanation of HTML and CSS.
Muhannad Khuluqi
This book makes learning full of fun and smiles
Varsha
Varsha is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Head First HTML5 Programming
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics
  • Head First Web Design
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Head First JavaScript
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Head First Java
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites
  • Test-Driven JavaScript Development
  • Creating Flow with OmniFocus
  • Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual
  • C Programming: A Modern Approach
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML Head First Design Patterns Poster Изучаем HTML, XHTML и CSS Head First JavaScript Programming Head First Design Patterns