Start by marking “A Likeness In Stone” as Want to Read:
A Likeness In Stone

A Likeness In Stone

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In the spellbinding tradition of Minette Walters and Ruth Rendell, author Julia Wallis Martin crafts an intelligent, atmospheric British suspense novel as engrossing as it is original.

An entire house, long submerged in the dark waters of a reservoir, unearths a starting find: the corpse of Helena Warner, an Oxford college student who disappeared twenty years earlier. For f
Published August 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Likeness In Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Likeness In Stone

Linda
Riveting, creepy mystery about a cold case.
Ram Kaushik
A creepy mystery - definitely a good writer with a very conversational yet sophisticated style. Could be macabre for people who like their mysteries bloodless a la Christie..
Karen Randell
enjoyed this book..liked that you knew who had done it and it was about proofing it and the actions 20 years later. would recommend anyone to read this.
JackieB
This was a fascinating and suble mystery. A cold case was reopened. The retired detective who originally worked on the crime was sure he knew who did it, but could the police get the evidence to prove it this time round? It was a psychological study as much as anything else, partly looking at the effects of living with guilt as well as the cat and mouse games played by the police to try to prove once and for all who was guilty.
Susan
Near Oxford, England new reservoir was created over a house. When, 20 years later, two divers on a lark swim through the house, they open a closet door and find a body. The body was the case that had bothered Bill Driver even after he retired from the police force. The discovery of the body brought back 20 years of memories for everyone concerned. This story is not my normal cup of tea but was a well crafted and different plot.
Carlyn
Very engaging read. Early on the book reveals the alleged killer and then takes the reader through the process of trying to find motivation and evidence to prove it. Well written and fairly smooth transitions between present day and flashbacks of the cold case murder. But, just as you feel the pieces are falling into place Martin throws in a great twist to the ending. It's been awhile since I've found a book I couldn't put down.
Karen
Dark and compelling. NOT a "cozy" British mystery despite the setting. (Oxford, Thames Valley police) Changes POV often but usually skillfully (some transitions were clunkier than others). Some plot threads left dangling but the ultimate bad guy in the book was one of the most depraved and chilling I've ever read about. Nightmare material!
Andrea
This was on my to-read list for years and I've finally checked it off. I liked the story, but I had a difficult time connecting with the characters; they felt incomplete to me. I would have liked more depth to them.

That said, the plot was intriguing enough to keep me turning the pages and I am willing to try another book by the author.
melinda callas
It started out ok... I liked that it was clear from the beginning who the killer was, and rather than being a mystery story, it was a gentle unfolding of motive (I hate not knowing what's going on). Then in the last chapter the killer was someone else. Rubbish.
Pauline
first book I have read by this author and it wasn't bad.it's an omnibus book so right into reading second so will have more of a feel for their writing after.
Carolyn
It was well-written but boy was this depressing. Depressing characters. Depressing story. Not a hint of cheer.
Holly
Sooooo good- very well written - intrigue to the last word! Thanks to my friend Simon for lending it to me!
Aishwarya Saxena
Aishwarya Saxena marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Alyeska
Alyeska marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Pia
Pia added it
Oct 17, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Tasha
Tasha added it
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Bird Yard Dancing With The Uninvited Guest A Long Close Call Dansen met de ongenode gast Een nacht om te sterven