Start by marking “Lullaby and Goodnight” as Want to Read:
Lullaby and Goodnight

Lullaby and Goodnight

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  577 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Hush Little Baby, Don't You Cry. . .

Published November 6th 2012 by Zebra (first published June 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lullaby and Goodnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lullaby and Goodnight

Beverly
Jun 03, 2008 Beverly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Disgusting book--very disappointed in this author. Should not be compared to Mary Higgins Clark. Don't waste your time.
Jen Reardon
I could not finish this book. The cloying back and forth about the killer and Peyton just wore me out.
Artha
Feb 19, 2014 Artha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I was very disappointed in this book because chapter 1 lays everything out for you and you just plod along with the main character until everything is revealed. No suspense, no mystery just kinda drag your feet
Heather Cleveland
I don't like writing critical book reviews because I know how much time and effort went into creating the story, but I did not care for the writing style or plot development in Lullaby and Goodnight.

I chose this author because she was compared to Mary Higgins Clark, and I've run out of new MHC books to read. I agree that both authors write mysteries, but that is where the similarities end for me. MHC writes with a grace and urgency that was missing from this book, which made it feel disjointed
Glenda
At thirty-nine, Peyton Somerset has an enviable life, with a thriving advertising career and a beautiful Manhattan apartment. And now she's going to have the one thing she wants most--a baby. Peyton's biological clock went off just as her fiancé took off, leaving her at the altar. So Peyton's going it alone. Already, she's making plans for the little one inside her. . .buying the layette, daydreaming, and worrying over the littlest things. That's only natural. All mothers do. But Peyton has reas ...more
Purple Iris
This is more a 2.5, but the writing style really annoyed me. A lot of unnecessary foreshadowing and red herrings, and if you have characters speaking Spanish, at least have them use the correct gender. Having said all that, it was decent. Some of the characters were even interesting.
Kara
Jan 14, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book but very hard for me, as a mother, to read. The thought that anyone, man or woman, could be this sick and twisted is scary beyond belief. I found it hard at times to keep reading, not because the story was bad but because it was hard to imagine that things like this in fact do happen. The pitfalls of the human mind are disturbing and this one got to me, to the mother that I am. I finished the book because I always do, no matter what, but I repeatedly set this one down for m ...more
Jana Fisher
Oct 07, 2014 Jana Fisher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I hate not finishing a book but I just couldn't make myself endure this one! Way to much back & forth....back & forth, it wore me out.
Louise
Apr 06, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exceptional novel by Staub!

From back cover:

"At thirty-nine, Peyton Somerset has an enviable life, with a thriving advertising career and a beautiful Manhattan apartment. And now she's going to have the one thing she wants most-a baby. Peyton's biological clock went off just as her fiance took off, leaving her at the altar. So Peyton's going it alone. Already, she's making plans for the little one inside her...buying the layette, daydreaming, and worrying over the littlest things. That's
kozettekaysmith
Oct 20, 2014 kozettekaysmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now That's What I'm Talking About!!

This was Truly a great thriller, I read this one very slow so I could drag it out didn't want to finish even though it was hard to put down. I loved the character's I could connect and picture what I was reading. I don't usually pay this much for my book's but I was not disappointed. I think I have to say I have another favorite Author besides Mary Higgins Clark. I highly recommend this book.
k.smith
Merja Pohjola
Plot way too easy to crack. And with a murder mystery like this what else is there? Apart from the typical "falling in love with a handsome stranger who might be a killer" scenario and the typical result of that doubt. A disappointment.
Cindy Ehrenreich
Dec 30, 2014 Cindy Ehrenreich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but I as a little disappointed in the resolution. The killer was too likable & their insane alter-ego came out of nowhere.
Jeanne
Jun 05, 2016 Jeanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I usually enjoy her books. This was NOT one of them. The book seemed to drag on forever........
Deanna
Oct 12, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, a great read!
Afsana
Jan 30, 2011 Afsana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book as I was reading it .

I had an idea that there was a fake prson but I had thought >>>>>SPOILER ALERT********

it was wanda pretending to be pregnant so was surprised regarding who the fake was.

Bit surprised that she could have ended up working for a doctor as a nurse under a name that was not hers.

It was ok but not a book that I would read again and whether to read it or not iit would not have mattered.
Janiese Wesley
I enjoyed this book. The main character Peyton has a wonderful life with a thriving advertising career. She lives in a beautiful Manhattan apartment. And she finds out that she's pregnant, and her boyfriend leaves her. Isn't that awful.
Then she finds herself uncertain about several things. She believes that someone has been in her apartment, and following her. I read this book in 4 hours. I couldn't put this book down. Amazing!
Dawn
Oct 26, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Wendy Corsi Staub's books.
Wendy Corsi Staub is one of my favorite suspense authors. This book had me on the edge of my seat. Good suspense that will keep you guessing. Another reviewer said this author should not be compared to Mary Higgins Clark. Although I have enjoyed Clark's books, her stories are starting to get stale. Staub's ideals are still fresh and I have loved all but one of her suspense books.
Linda Joyner
Jun 05, 2013 Linda Joyner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a fan of Mary Higgins Clark I was drawn to read my first Wendy Corsica Staub. It was as promised. It was a clean suspense novel without violent details, foul language and unnecessary sex scenes. I enjoyed the guessing game and felt that it was a great read for my outdoor summer reading. As a matter of fact I rushed out to get another book by the same author.
Katrina
May 19, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading other reviews saying they were shocked at who the perp turned out to be, I second guessed myself throughout the entire book. Needlessly because I figured it out in the beginning and I was right.

While the plot was interesting, the suspense was not. It was glaringly obvious that it was ----------- the whole time.
Gmaharriet
Unusual plot, but too complicated. There were too many characters, some with more than one name, and I had trouble keeping track.

I also had trouble identifying with any of the main characters, so I failed to become emotionally involved. Mostly I was just relieved when the story ended. Not Ms Staub's best tale.
Jason
Apr 23, 2013 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: John Waters
The writing was a little sloppy, but the story was compelling. I can even forgive the pat ending.

A note to Ms. Staub—Czechoslovakia stopped being a country in 1993, twelve years before your novel was published. I assume this oversight lies entirely with Peyton Somerset and not at all with you.

Melanie Johnson
Dec 09, 2013 Melanie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love all of Wendy Corsi Staub's books. This one is super creepy, especially if you are preggers! Might want to not read this one until your 9 months is up :)
Someone is stealing babies from single mothers and giving those babies to childless, poor couples. A Robin Hood for Motherhood.
Kristin
Feb 04, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This book was super slow in getting interesting. Almost groaned whenever I picked it up to read. Then a little past the middle it picked up like a bat outta hell and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. Go figure. So ended up being a good read.
Suzanne Mueller
Aug 05, 2012 Suzanne Mueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Enjoyable book about a single pregnant mother with a killer out to get her and the unborn baby. I enjoyed this book because you did not have to follow any past charactor histories unlike some of Wendy Corsi Staub's other series books. Great read!

Gemma A
Mar 17, 2014 Gemma A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read but I had to keep reading to see what was going to happen. It is not often I get creeped out by a book but this had me a little spooked at times...may want to skip it if you are pregnant!
Kim
Nov 29, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I thought this book was pretty good. It kept my interest, and didn't reveal the killer until close to the end. I was always speculating, but nothing really gave it away. I like mysteries like that.
Babs
Jul 06, 2012 Babs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She did remind me of Mary Higgins Clark... but that was as close as it got. The characters were well developed and it was a good read but I figured it out with several chapters to go.
Margaret Hildreth
I was alright, it did a pretty good job of keeping me guessing but it felt a bit all over the place
Marianne Jay
I normally love this author's books. I'm sad to say, however that this book seems like an afterthought. It was sort of awake and not cohesive.
Megan Peterson
Dec 30, 2013 Megan Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I made the mistake of reading this the first time while I was pregnant but it's still a great read. This author never disappoints.
  • If She Should Die
  • Most Likely to Die
  • Suspicious Origin
  • Without a Sound
  • Fortune
  • A Killing Gift (April Woo, #8)
  • Don't Cry Now
  • Dark Harvest (Maplecreek, #2)
  • Kiss of Death
  • Where Truth Lies
  • Binary Witness (The Amy Lane Mysteries, #1)
  • When You Go Away
  • Sign of the Cross
  • Final Appeal
  • Final Justice
Here's my Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/corsistaub

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/WendyCorsiStaub

New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than seventy-five published novels and has sold more than four million books worldwide. Under her own name, Wendy achieved New York Times bestselling status with her single title psychological sus
More about Wendy Corsi Staub...