Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death

Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin #7)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,833 ratings  ·  132 reviews
This time, the feisty sleuth stumbles upon the victim of an unnatural death in Cotswold village's famous natural spring. Who was the unlucky corpse? The Ancombe Parish Council chairman-and the only uncommitted member voting on whether to allow the Ancombe Water Company to tap into the town's spring. Add ex-fiance James, watery politicians, and slippery entrepreneurs to the ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death

Yvonne
A new mineral water company invades Agatha Raisin’s neighboring village of Ancombe and everyone is angry that it will tap into the village spring. When Agatha stumbles upon the murdered body of the council chairman, who hasn’t yet cast his vote for the water company, she puts herself right into the middle of things. First, she accepts a PR job for the water company and then she starts asking questions. As usual, she sticks her nose where it doesn’t belong making everyone angry.

Still mooning over
Gerry
Here she is again. Retired London PR executive Agatha who lives a quiet and secluded life (???) in a Cotswold village gets back into the business with a water company. And, surprise, surprise, a coupld of murders take place under her very nose. Flirtatious, jealous, cigarette-smoking, outspoken she may be but her charm remains and her penchant for sniffing out a villain is still there! With the aid of a friendly detective, an ex-colleague and her ever-present, or as the case may be, absent, hear ...more
Denise
Poor Agatha! James is ignoring her and nasty when he does talk to her. There's a new woman in the village who is a nasty piece of work. Her former colleague Roy Silver talks her into taking a PR job for a new bottled water company that is marketing water from a nearby village, but everything goes wrong, including her finding a murdered man in the spring. And the main suspects are that village's council, who don't get along and seem to take delight in insulting Agatha. The only bright spot is one ...more
Kate Millin
From the back of the book:
'Agatha Raisin's neighbouring village of Ancombe is usually the epitome of quiet rural charm, but the arrival of a new mineral water company - which intends to tap into the village spring - sends tempers flaring and divides the parish council into two stubborn camps'

...and of course murder follows on. Agatha gets mixed up in a number of ways - sleuthing but also acting as a PR person for the water company. She is still mooning over James - but that is not going to chang
Catherine
Arrived in the post, started straight away and finished before I did anything else, including ea. I'd arrived home tired and lazy so a nice cosy mystery with familiar characters was just what I needed in order to wind down. Agatha fitted the bill perfectly. I think I'm more or less up to date with her now: the stories are discrete enough not to suffer too badly from reading out of sequence, although I can see that they might be a bit much read all in one go.
In this episode, Agatha is still at th
Jolene
I love cozies, but usually after book 5 or 6 in a series I get bored with it (really how many villagers can be killed off before everyone leaves?). That is not the case with the Agatha Raisin books. I love the characters, the village, and I haven't been able to guess the killer in any of the books. Every time I think I've figured it out there's a new twist. This title was a nice addition to the series. The only thing I didn't care for is how Agatha keeps letting Roy into her life. He is no frien ...more
Ali
Not sure why but I didn't enjoy this 7th Agatha Raisin as much as the previous ones. I don't think it is as funny, and Agatha still seems a little sad and vulnerable - just as she was in the last book. She makes several disastrous romantic decisions, which I found frustrating. A light undemanding read, but it lacked something that the first few books had, not sure what that is though. as a character Agatha is brilliant though, and I will still be reading the rest - in time.
Emma
I felt this was much more the Agatha Raisin I enjoy back in Carsley then the last outing on Cyprus. Agatha is back to her best, but this time is engaged by a water company that wants to take water from Ancombe Wellspring so seems more of a reluctant sleuth when the head of Ancombe council is found dead at the Wellspring. A return of Mrs Bloxby and Ray Silver also made this book more enjoyable.
pdarnold
Poor Aggie, always trying to make amends with James, but seems to fail at every attempt...miserably. This series has been a fun escape and I look forward to more of Agatha Raisin's prickly, but tender personality. She's a delight and a monster, she's tough and insecure an oxymoron all within herself.

Again, Agatha is pining over James. She's unsure what to do with herself. Then comes along Roy, attempting to hire her as PR for an upstart water company, wanting to bottle the water from a local nea
Carol
I enjoy her books, but have a hard time rating them 4 stars. Why I keep reading them I am not sure. Maybe it is because Agatha is so spunky.

Agatha is still moody over the way JAmes is treating her. Yet another mystery occurs. This time a local is killed over water.
An Odd1
Funny Agatha I like. To ubiquitous "Telecom Call Minder .. irritating relic of .. elocution lessons" p 71 "'Did anyone not want to hear messages' thought Agatha crossly" p 72.

Just when she seems toughest, she breaks down. She is human after all. Pressed by Guy to continue working after finding body, "she began to cry" p 113.

Competing on his own to find answers, James dyes his black hair blond, dons "three ear-rings in one ear" p 72, says little to hide upper-class accent. Also undercover, Zak h
Kristen
Kris
Georgiana 1792
Tornata nei suoi amati Cotswolds, Agatha cerca di riprendere la sua solita vita, nonostante l’apatia per l’abbandono di James e l’antipatia verso la signora Darry, nuovo acquisto fra le fila della Società delle Dame di Carsely.

C’è una nuova controversia all’ordine del giorno: una società ha acquistato i diritti per imbottigliare l’acqua di un’antica sorgente nella vicina cittadina di Ancombe. Il resoconto dello scontro fra i favorevoli e i contrari – che fa sbadigliare Agatha – è l’eterno contra
Damaskcat
In the nearby village of Ancombe there is a spring which runs through a garden and then into a drinking fountain. When a company wants to bottle and sell the water the parish council members are divided about whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. Agatha Raisin is asked to do the PR for the company as she lives locally. When a member of the parish council is found dead in the spring things threaten to go pear shaped.

Naturally Agatha feels the need to get involved in the investigation into
bella
Agatha Raisin is called in to help her old publicity firm to assist a new water company and their bid to buy water from a local spring in Ancombe and market it for sale. The town of Ancombe is in uproar that their spring is going to be used for capitalism, with everyone on the parish council taking sides. When the chairman of the parish council turns up dead, it would seem that he has been killed for the way he would vote (either for or against, no one knows). Agatha decides to investigate and t ...more
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 97871845293192

Genre? - Crime / Mystery / Murder

Characters? - Agatha Raison / Guy Freemont / James Lacey / Roy Silver / Bill Wong / Mrs Bloxby / Robina Toybin / Mary Owen / Fred Shaw / Andy Stiggs / Jane Cutler / Robert Struthers

Setting? - Carsely & Ancombe, Cotswolds (England)

Series? - Agatha Raisin #7

Title? - The murder mystery in this novel centres around a spring in Ancombe whose water is going to be used by a water company. Robert Struthers is found dead in the spring.

Character A
Alan
Oh, Agatha, you seemed to receive even more blows to your ego than usual in this adventure! Another entertaining Agatha Raisin story from that hotbed of murder and mayhem: the picturesque village of Carsley in the English Cotswolds. Thank God for the Vicar's wife, Mrs Bloxley, who once again goes above and beyond to soothe and solve. Agatha sets out to solve the first of a series of murders surrounding a natural spring in a nearby village and the company that seeks to bottle its water.
Ann Boytim
Agatha again does what she thinks is right. Agatha is again living next door to James and she is desperately wanting them to get back together but James is very cold towards her so Agatha moves on and now gets involved with her new employer who is much younger than she is, trying to make James jealous. Agatha has a murder to solve as usual and tries in her own way to get this solved but James decides is wants in on the action and they eventually team up to make sure the murderer is found .
Dolly
Dec 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Book #7 in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton takes us back to the Cotswolds for another murder mystery.

I started reading this series this year and I like it; I will certainly be looking for the next book in the series soon. The stories are short, entertaining brain candy. I am starting to feel like there's a lot of repetition in the stories and I'm not sure if I will still enjoy the series after 22+ books. Will Agatha ever make a wise decision in any matters outside of business?

This book
Gail
Agatha is back to her old tricks, trying to solve a murder in her adopted English village. She accepts the job of PR person for a water company that has purchased the rights to a stream that goes through the center of the town, but many who live nearby are up in arms about the supposed swindling of a natural resource. When the head of council is found murdered, suspicion falls on those who opposed the water scheme, and Agatha reluctantly accepts the challenge of finding the killer.
Lisa
Ah, Agatha and James at it again. I can't imagine living like that, but it seems to work just fine for Raisin and Lacey. So much tension!

I enjoy this series. You never know what will catch Agatha's attention or how she'll pursue her goals. I enjoy the books when she already has her detective agency better, as it makes more sense for her sleuthing excuses, but they're all a good read. I sometimes wish the books were longer, but there are so many, so I'll just keep reading.
Stephen Lawton
For a lady with bearish eyes and a tight waistband, Agatha seems to get a decent share of nooky. Lovely to have her back in Carsley though the ongoing issues with James Lacey can begin to bore. Then again her adolescent ways with men provide quite a bit of mirth. I couldn't keep up with all the potential suspects but like Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher, Agatha is all about the location and ongoing characters, murder & mystery are secondary.
Dominika
Most már kijelenthetem, hogy sosem csalódom Agatha Raisin történeteibe! Mindig viccesek, át lehet érezni az adott helyszín szépségét úgy, hogy nem csap át unalmas tájleírásokba! Agatha egyszerűen tökéletes ezzel a tökéletlenségével!
Mrs. Bloxby hatalmas arc, nagyon kedvelem, és mindig ott van Agatha számára, hogy segítsen vagy éppen meghallgassa őt.
Ezt a részt különösen átéreztem, mivel a nyár itt is őszbe fordult :)
Michelle
The 7th book in the Agatha Raisin series has Agatha back and home and down in the dumps about James. She gets talked into promoting a water company that is going to bottle water from a spring/fountain in a nearby village for her old firm. The problem is that the local council is divided down the middle on whether or not to allow the deal to go forward. When the head of the council and decider of the tie ends up dead with his blood pouring into the fountain, Agatha takes on the dual role of inves ...more
Helén Szőke
A nice crime, no horrible gory bits, just well written, laugh out loud bits. M.C. Beaton a very prolific writer who I'm sure aims to outdo Agahta Christie ( and writes in the a similar fashion) has made very identifiable characters with Agatha and Hamish (Hamish Macbeth series) , they are easy to read and before you know it you're looking for the next and then the next in the series.
Adam
Post Listen Review: Yet another dull entry in the Agatha Raisin series. Surprise, surprise Agatha comes across a body and solves a mystery. The first sentence was "Agatha Raisin was bored and unhappy." That is how I felt through the whole book and that is about the end of my identifying with her. She is always complaining about how her "boobs are not perky like they used to be" or how she is getting older and how she is getting fatter and fatter. Yet she is sleeping with more than one guy. She i ...more
Arnault Duprez
Sempre simpatico, attenzione però come tutte le serie con un protagonista non bisogna leggerne a distanza ravvicinata. Diventa prevedibile. In questo romanzo l'autrice fa diventare la sua protagonista un po troppo assatanata. E' vero che gli ormoni fanno scherzaci ma senza esagerare. In conclusione mi ha divertito ma meno del solito.
Susan
I wonder if I am getting tired of Agatha. This was my least favorite of the series so far. Agatha and her sexcapades got on my nerves, James seemed ridiculous, and the mystery was boring. I had to force myself to finish it. But, maybe I'm being too hard. . .maybe I just need a break from the series.
Manda Graham
I have been wanting to try book or audiobook by M C Beaton for sometime and so was excited when I saw this come up on Amazon Vine. I found it a lot like the Vicar of Dibley in style. It was funny and didn't take itself to seriously. That said, I am not sure I will be rushing out to get another of M C Beaton's many books as I found it a bit too "nice" for my taste. That's not to say that it's not good, as I think the writing and ideas within the book were both high quality and creative but as my ...more
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Hasty Death
  • Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)