Start by marking “Son Complex” as Want to Read:
Son Complex

Son Complex

Aaron, a 23 year-old American, comes to Malaysia for the first time. His mission: to meet Nasri Aziz, the politician he believes is his biological father. A man who has no idea Aaron even exists.

Encouraged by the letters of his late mother Nora, Aaron seeks to find out more about her life in Malaysia in the 1980s. Aaron's arrival comes as a complete surprise not only to Na
Published January 30th 2013 by Buku Fixi (Fixi Novo)

To ask other readers questions about Son Complex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son Complex

Fadzlishah Johanabas
Feb 09, 2013 Fadzlishah Johanabas rated it it was ok
Book review: Son Complex, by Kris Williamson

I always look forward to reading locally-published English fiction. Granted, a lot of them out there are bad, but there are also gems, brilliant in their own right. When Buku Fixi announced the launch of its English imprint, Fixi Novo, I was excited, ecstatic even.

Fixi publishes pulp fiction, whose origin started in America in the late 1890s. Back then, short stories and serialized novels were published in magazines using paper made of pulp, making the
Fairuz
Mar 31, 2013 Fairuz rated it really liked it
There is something entertaining about this book than just the main story line itself. It was Malaysia from Aaron’s perspective. His thoughts towards lifestyles and foods are some kind of interesting to read about.
Syaihan Syafiq
Jan 16, 2013 Syaihan Syafiq rated it liked it
(ulasan ini diambil dari blog sendiri)

Ada kenalanku beritahu yang aku harus segera habiskan baca mana-mana novel Fixi yang terbaru kerana dia hanya akan beli dan hadam novel tersebut berdasarkan ulasan dan usulanku. Son Complex karya Kris Williamson merupakan novel berbahasa Inggeris pertama terbitan FIXI di bawah imprint FIXI NOVO, diterbitkan bulan lepas dan merupakan novel yang paling pantas aku habiskan (aku selesai baca kurang dari tempoh 48 jam) setakat ini untuk tahun 2013.

Membaca sinopsi
Ainur
Jul 10, 2013 Ainur rated it it was ok
it's not that i don't like this book, it's just too plain for me.

few times i fall asleep reading this. and i kinda took more times than i predicted to finish it.

there's no climax (or maybe there is, but like i said, it's too plain)

i don't know what to expect when i read this.

all i know is, it's not that enjoyable.
Luc Abdullah
Satu-satunya buku yang aku (mampu) habiskan ketika kesihatan dirampas seketika. Well, this is the answer for this space--(What did you think?)
Ahmad Faiz
May 29, 2017 Ahmad Faiz rated it liked it
Shelves: fixi
To some extent, I am pretty much convince that the author somehow knows how to speak Malay language. You can find many Malay phrases, written not in formal style but the way how Malaysian speak. Enough to make a Malay reader grin. Aren't you impress of that? Knowing that some of the Malaysian Chinese can't even form a proper Malay sentence verbally (My assumption) and just look at England, the migrants could speak proper English with an accent. Doesn't that bother you? Oh don't get me started wi ...more
Remi
Feb 24, 2013 Remi rated it it was amazing
Son Complex by Kris Williamson is a fascinating read that got me thinking about a lot of things talked about in the book. It covers so many social issues relevant to Malaysia and does it seamlessly. The writing is very easy to understand and the story moves forward at a good speed. I like personal journey stories and found this to be a unique one that hasn't been done hundreds of times in movies and other novels. Kudos for originality!

By the middle of the novel, it became obvious that this is a
Siti Nur syawana
Nov 26, 2013 Siti Nur syawana rated it liked it
Totally im not that satisfied reading this. But back to its title, Son Complex then i realized it was really2 complex. Pity to Aaron cus someone already accept him as his biological son. To the author, you should write something that give us satisfaction reading your book or at least let Aaron meet his father and claim him as his biological father and make a new happy family i guess. The last scene really makes me touch. That Datin called Aaron and told him abt her biggest secret. It means a lot ...more
Barukisu (Balqis)
Apr 28, 2013 Barukisu (Balqis) rated it really liked it
Kudos to the writer who is not Malaysian but has the effort writing up a story based in Malaysian from an American perspective. Its a mixed up but the shocking revealation towarda the end is something I'm not expecting. Everyone jas their past and not everyone's past is beautiful. I have seen the author when I bought the book at PBAKL. Weirdly I always imagined Aaron as him. Ha. Anyway, nice read.
Rumaizah Bakar
Feb 20, 2013 Rumaizah Bakar rated it it was ok
I like the KL travel story bits and the tourist in town's point of view. However, I think the character Nora is overly romanticized and unreal to the end. I also feel like I still didn't know Aaron, even after reading the whole book. Some of the other characters seem kind of stereotypical Malaysians too, Indian activist, Datuk politician, mat rempit,etc. I was let down by the 2 new elements 'suddenly squeezed in' to lead to the ending.
Hanani Natasya
Aug 31, 2014 Hanani Natasya rated it really liked it
I would say that this story is a bit different from other Fixi's novels but still it's fun to read and to know who's Aaron's father really is and to know what actually happened to Nora when she was in Malaysia and why she never tell him about it.
The story was well told by the writer plus I love the cover so much.But the ending was a bit sad. Aaron should've not get rid of his memories when he was in Malaysia.
Alan Le Bras
Reading this book, I had the impression I was entering an unknown territory yet at the same time being told about people I have met in the past...
I enjoyed certain passages while others proved to be a bit tedious and far-fetched.
Still, I would recommend this book to avid readers of travelogues and auto-fiction mostly.
Danial Jaafar
Feb 08, 2015 Danial Jaafar rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to read this novel after reading Kris's short story on KL Noir:Red. Perhaps, I was looking forward to that sunken feeling hours after I am done with Son Complex.

That Eureka moment, or perhaps-Eureka moment, why Datin suddenly seemed like taking a pity on Aaroon. And the phone call she made. Because Datin and Aaron's mother, had the same fate.

Syaffiq
Feb 06, 2013 Syaffiq rated it liked it
How does it feels when your faith betrays you. Either you want to live in delusion or eat the ugly truth.

Beautifully narrated despite initially i was hoping for any kongkek but none. However i still enjoy reading this.

Selamat membaca

Rushy muhd
Feb 14, 2013 Rushy muhd rated it liked it
so far I think the author managed to portrays the reality living of 'dato' and 'datin' in Malaysian context.their lifestyles,their family secrets and stuff.still,this is probably to early for me to judge whether this novel is worth to read or else.
AriffHidayah
Apr 01, 2013 AriffHidayah rated it liked it
Shelves: fixi-novo
Is Sundari's brother had mental illness?
Hikal Salim
Sep 20, 2016 Hikal Salim rated it really liked it
At first I really like the plot of the story. But the ending was quite disappointing in my opinion.
Sang
Feb 06, 2013 Sang rated it it was ok
I think this book features a lot of sarcasms to Malaysian, especially the typical Malay drama's twisted twisted ending part. Well, I think it is.
Hadi Nor
Feb 28, 2013 Hadi Nor rated it really liked it
As I read it, it went on a direction I didn't expect it to go.
Irfanfahim
Feb 05, 2013 Irfanfahim rated it really liked it
Unerwartete Vertreibung wollte ich sagen.
Soraya Anuwar
Jan 01, 2014 Soraya Anuwar rated it did not like it
Not my kind of book. Sundari is a bitch. The fact that Datin's father raped her is just ughhh dammit he's an Imam after all. I need to know who's the biological father of Aaron, at least
phazleeanna
Feb 06, 2013 phazleeanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: buku-fixi-novo
What you think it is, is never really what you think it is.

"In the dark, we are all equals." -Aaron
Plainqoma
Plainqoma rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Ausya Alya
Ausya Alya rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Azah Sharipuddin
Azah Sharipuddin rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Mastura AR
Mastura AR rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Azah Sharipuddin
Azah Sharipuddin rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Khairul H.
Khairul H. rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
Nurul
Nurul rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Zati
Zati rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kris Williamson is a publishing consultant and writer. Born and raised in Florida's Tampa Bay Area, he fled America when the neo-cons took over, choosing to continue his studies in Australia. Eventually he found his way to Malaysia and has been tolerated there despite the lack of itinerant mat salleh in the 1Malaysia agenda. He has written professionally for a decade but only turned to writing for ...more
More about Kris Williamson...