Start by marking “This Tree Counts!” as Want to Read:
This Tree Counts!

This Tree Counts!

If you listen carefully to the lone tree behind Oak Lane School, it has a story to tell, about . . . one owl, two spiders, three squirrels, four robins, five caterpillars, six ants, seven crickets, eight flies, nine ladybugs, and ten earthworms, all living safe and free in their tree home. What does this tree need? The children know—it needs friends! Alison Formento's gent ...more
Published December 14th 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Tree Counts!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Tree Counts!

Karen
Feb 14, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the local library this week.

I LOVED the first half of this book. The dialogue was a little stilted at first even in the first half, but once the tree started "talking" all was forgiven. Then the stilted dialogue came back with a vengeance. It might have been better if the author just turned narrator to give the facts about trees, because Mr. Tate went from being the coolest teacher ever to becoming the most boring teacher ever. Poor Mr. Tate.

The i
Emily Horn
Feb 04, 2015 Emily Horn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counting-book
This Tree Counts! could be a great teaching tool for various reasons, it could be used to teach counting, about trees, and caring for trees. I loved how the illustrated, Sarah Snow, made sure the number that was on the page had the corresponding number of animals in the picture which would be vital in teaching children counting. This book gives many opportunities for students to ask questions and foster their own learning as the students in the book did. I believe Alison Formento and Sarah Snow ...more
Blair Herron
Nov 28, 2011 Blair Herron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caldecott Award book:

This Tree Counts is about a classroom that goes outside to observe a tree. The underlying message of the book is about taking care of our Earth. I would definitely nominate this book for the 2011 Caldecott Award because not only does it meet all the concrete criteria (such as the author and illustrator are both citizens of the United States and that it was published in 2010 in the U.S) but it also meets the abstract guidelines as well. The story line definitely lends itself
Jill Wolf
Mar 26, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Informational #6
This book is about a group of kids and their teacher planting trees. A boy leans his ear up to a tree and "hears" all of the reasons that trees are useful. I like this book because it connects how trees are not only important to people, but to tons of animals as well.
Ina
Apr 23, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
There are beautiful 2-page illustrations in this audience pleasing story about a tree, and it inhabitants and all that the tree does for the world. Storytime audience approved.
Tammy
This was a cute and informative book, but it started to wander and felt like like it could have been made into three separate books.
Ellen Ramsey
Oct 05, 2014 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marvelous celebration of trees and the creatures that live in them, as well as the joys of tree watching and tree planting.
Barbara
In this simple text, readers count the number of animals--one owl, two spiders, three squirrels, all the way up to ten earthworms--that rely on the tree in the backyard of Oak Lane School. The words the author has chosen to describe the activity of the animals help readers pay attention to how the earthworms, for instance, are "munching rich moist soil" (unpaged). The story itself is built around Mr. Tate and his students as they listen to the tree's story and plant more saplings. The color-dren ...more
Julie Esanu
Broad introduction to trees for the PreK set....
Esodhiambo
Sep 30, 2015 Esodhiambo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Counting 1-10
Seeds
Seasons
Trees

Primary grades
Samantha
A class of schoolchildren plants trees to keep the mature oak on campus company. Through firsthand experiences with the tree and class discussion the children learn what trees do and which creatures call a tree their home.

This is a great go green read aloud with collage artwork. The collage spreads add texture and incite interest in the subject.
Melissa Dwyer
Originally rated G by Virginia Lambeth
When a class ventures outdoors behind their school to plant trees, they learn about all the different ways that trees contribute to our environment. Sarah Snow's flat, mixed media illustrations move the story along.
Kate Hastings
Oct 12, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
--grades K-2
--an old tree behind the school is home to count-able animals.
--what’s countless are the ways this one tree makes a difference in people’s lives.
--cleaning the air, growing food for people or animals, providing building materials
--children plant new trees so there can be more of a good thing.
--Arbor Day/Earth Day unit
Emilee
Audience: Primary
Appeal to: A lesson that has to do with Earth day, or the importance of taking care of our environment
Application: I think this book would be great to read during an Earth day lesson. It really teaches the students the importance of trees
Award: 2013 Grand Canyon Reader Award nominee
Deb
Mar 13, 2012 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a counting book, but then it tries to be about the importance of trees as well. Not cohesive enough for younger readers. I really like the art, except for the pages where it shows the newly planted trees - they are too close together to grow up.
Elisabeth
Sep 10, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for little guys about how important trees are. Would be great for Earth Day or Spring or to pair with the Lorax. It lends itself perfectly for a felt story - but the illustrations are so dear, I might incorporate both. I really like these books!
Nancy Jo Lambert
A great book if you are talking about trees and their importance to the environment. I liked the story, but this book didn't wow me. I think that it tried to be more touching than it actually is. A good book to read for Arbor Day or Earth Day.
The Library Lady
Great art, but this is too much of a "let's cram every educational gimmick we can find into one book", which detracts sadly from the story.
Too long for toddlers, probably useful for teachers of older preschool/early elementary.
Patricia
On a aimé cette livre mais c'était un peu trop longue pour lire avec dormir pour les enfants. L'histoire était bon pour étudier pourquoi les arbres sont important pour plusieur animaux et les peuples.
Nance
Sep 25, 2010 Nance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A combination counting and environmental picture book. The text and pictures are well intertwined. Some of the dialogue is stilted; but the combination of artwork styles gives the book a homey feel.
Fabulous Classroom
I really enjoyed this book and felt that my 6 year old learned a great lesson about how every single tree has a variety of important functions. A great book for Earth Day and year round!
Erin
Sep 22, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about the importance of trees - from ecology to the supplies their wood provides. The trees whispering their stories to the kids is my favorite part :)
Kimberly
Decent but not spectacular. There's counting but the counting isn't the main point of the book. Felt like the author tried to put too much into this one.
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbs-nature, 2010
A very nice way for kids to look at trees and their importance to life. Every tree counts!
Maia
Jun 19, 2013 Maia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
What three year old doesn't love a counting book?
Tina Bartholoma
trees, school, environment, counting to ten
Molly
Aug 20, 2010 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Best for young school age.
Cfc
Cfc added it
Sep 18, 2016
Becky Cotton
Becky Cotton rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alison Ashley Formento is the author of the young adult novel TWIGS (Merit Press), and award-winning picture books THIS TREE COUNTS!, THIS TREE 1, 2, 3, THESE BEES COUNT!, THESE SEAS COUNT! and THESE ROCKS COUNT! (Albert Whitman & Co.). She's written for The New York Times, Parenting, The Writer and several other magazines.

AUTHOR WEBSITE

www.alisonashleyformento.com

"

More about Alison Ashley Formento...