Start by marking “The Charge” as Want to Read:
The Charge

The Charge

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When the King of the Texas Empire kidnaps Warren's brother, Warren embarks into a still Wild West to save him. On his journey, he makes a discovery that changes his life forever—he and his brother are long-lost members of the Texas royal family and the King wants them both dead.

He gets help from an activist Texan named Lena, who's itching to take on the King and happens t
Published March 2nd 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charge

Connie Michael
I was lucky enough to recieve an advanced copy of The Charge and am excited to give it four stars.
The Charge takes the reader into a future where Texas is no longer a part of the USA and the leaders of the territory have altered their DNA so they have advanced intellegence, strength, and a variety of other traits that make them stronger than the regular citizen. In addition they give off an electrical charge when you are near them. Warren is the Main character in this story which starts off very
Katherine Adams
I absolutely loved this book! I will admit that the first thing that appealed to me was the cover. Yes, I know not to judge a book by its cover, but I was lured in by the blue storm clouds and the sign for entering the Texas Empire. Once I started reading I was hooked and could not put it down. Going to work was near impossible, and sleep is overrated anyway. The story tells an alternate history of the United States, where one small change caused an entire shift in what we know about history. Te ...more
Jessa Russo
WOW! I LOVED this book! Absolutely loved it!! I was instantly drawn in, and curious about the alternate reality Sharon Bayliss created.

And what an alternate reality it was! Imagining our country divided like it was in THE CHARGE, was a very strange concept to consider. My mind was constantly running through the scenes and picturing what it would be like to live in a place like the Texas Empire. When I read stories like this one, I always find myself wishing my imagination worked the way some of
James Wymore
How would America be different if the Alamo had ended with Texas declaring itself a separate nation under a new king? Tracing the lineage of Texas Royalty, imbued with bio-electric power, The Charge taps into the alternate history and develops an awesome contemporary sci-fi.

It is so refreshing to see an NA (New Adult, for ages 18-22) book not be a romance. Sharon Bayliss puts together a wild and fast ride as young adults get pulled into the political games of the highest political powers in the
Christine
I enjoyed this. The story was easy to get into. The characters were easy to distinguish. It had a nice twist here and a turn there. I read it for a few hours at a time, that's how good it was. I wish it was a little longer at the end. I'd have liked a little closure...or a sequel?
Andrea
This review was originally posted on my book review blog, The Overstuffed Bookcase.

Another First...

I know I've reviewed some physical ARCs lately, but I just had to share that The Charge was actually the first physical book I ever received for review. Sure, I had won some ARCs or finished copies through giveaways, and I had received eARCs from publishers and through NetGalley, and I've received some physical ARCs and finished copies for review recently, but The Charge was my first physical book
Charissa
I received an ARC to read of this book. It is an alternate history of the U.S. and Texas with a few characters that have paranormal elements because of their blood. The main characters are Will (the son of the President of the United States), Warren King (who is out to save his kidnapped little brother at any cost), and Lena (a Texan democratic activist who happens to be dating Will). This book is fast paced, with lots of mystery and suspense, and sizzling energy like the Energizer bunny. I foun ...more
Amy Chadbourne
The Charge was an interesting read for me. It wasn't at all what I expected. It jumped very quickly into the action of story with one thing happening quickly behind the next. For several pages I was left wondering if I'd missed something, a prequel or prologue chapter maybe? It's obvious that the author meant to grab the reader as quickly as possible and drag them into this story. And she succeeded. Even feeling a little disoriented, I had to keep reading to figure out what exactly was going on. ...more
Vanessa
Finished The Charge by Sharon Bayliss today! I was surprised at how I got totally sucked into this book. I felt very emotionally invested in the characters, which is rare for me when a book's written in third person perspective and especially with alternating narrators. But The Charge did exactly that.

I felt that Warren was very relatable as a main character: a well-executed, typical but loveable anti-hero. The other characters as well, were well-rounded and realistic, even the ones we once see
Beth
I would first like to say that I am partial to any story that is layered with politics, especially one that pits democracy against monarchy (I majored in Political Science and love fictional politics – real stuff not so much). So after reading the blurb I was excited to read Sharon’s book. Not only does she know how to write a compelling blurb (ha ha ha – what a great figure of speech!), she writes a damn fine book! Great job, Sharon!

The characters were well developed; I really rooted for Warre
Fel
The Charge, just like the lightening on the front cover, this book runs its course with a unrelenting fury until it reaches the final destination. I���ve been excited to read this book for a while, and I couldn���t believe it when it came to me for a proofreading assignment.

When Warren���s brother mysteriously disappears, Warren embarks on a journey to the wild and reportedly dangerous Texas Empire to find him. Along the way, he begins experiencing strange symptoms: rapid pulse, tingling sensati
Emma Adams
This is certainly a unique book! Sharon Bayliss’s brilliant new adult alternative history imagines a world where Texas established its own empire separately from the U.S. – ruled by a family rumoured to have supernatural powers. When Warren King’s brother is kidnapped, he learns that he’s a descendent of the Texan royal family, and that puts his life in danger.

Meanwhile, Will Cole, son of the President of the U.S., is experiencing strange symptoms linked to the charge. His girlfriend, Lena, a su
SARIT
The full review - http://sarityahalomi.blogspot.com/201...

An alternate history of the U.S. and Texas with a few characters that have paranormal elements because of their blood. In this book, Texas and the U.S. don't like each other. The U.S. bombed Texas to kill off its ruthless King and all others that share his blood...but after almost 2 decades, a new King materializes and rumors of war begin to escalate. Will another ruthless dictator take over Texas, or will the Wild West finally take ste
Yolanda Renee
“When King of the Texas Empire kidnaps Warren's brother, Warren embarks into a still Wild West to save him. On his journey, he makes a discovery that changes his life forever-he and his brother are long-lost members of the Texas royal family and the King wants them both dead.”
All Warren wants to do is fit in, disappear into the crowd, graduate from college, and have a normal life. While fitting in or disappearing into the crowd is a bit difficult for someone over six foot, with black hair so dar
Soo
Warren King thought it was just another visit home to make sure his Mom was okay. She's known to try odd things like cook bacon in the toaster and end up with a kitchen fire. Instead of a pit stop at home before going back to campus, Warren finds out his brother is missing, a dry bloodstain on the carpet, and a vague threat about others coming to take him away.

Warren:
Who has Isaac?
Why is Mom so afraid?
Does this have anything to do with their father?
Who could possibly want to harm his family?

Wi
Kymmy
Get ready for a different take on the U.S. The Charge, by Sharon Bayliss, is an alternative history story with paranormal elements. It is set in the the United States, but the evil Texas Empire is making a comeback.
This was my first alternative history book and I really enjoyed it. This author did a great job of building a different world for her readers. I could easily imagine a poor, war torn region trying to recover from previous attacks. The characters were also well written and readers will
Ellie
Apr 30, 2013 Ellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
At the beginning of the year I read Wool by Hugh Howey, and said at the time it would take an amazing book to push it off my 'top read of 2013' spot. Okay. So, The Charge did not knock it off. But it has joined it in the top position. This book was astoundingly well written and had me glued to my Kindle. In fact, I loved it so much I will be ordering it in paperback - the true test of how I rate a book.

This is the first time I've read alternate history, and I have a new love. The Charge was well
Kelley Lynn
Read this book in two days. It is an impressive tale of a Texas Empire against the United States. I was worried I would find it difficult to envision a fracture US, but Bayliss does a fantastic job laying out the situation and building the tension between the two.

Every character has a flaw or two, and many make you wonder what side they're on: The King's, the Texas Empire's, or the United State's.

With a well developed cast, a large talent for the written word, and a great flair of speculative f
Roseanna
What a page turner! It’s a fresh new plot. The Charge is about two different territories one being the United States and Texas Empire. Texas has its own royal family that has a paranormal twist. The United States features a President. The characters find out who they thought they were, was not always who they really are.
It all starts when Warren’s brother is kidnapped and he starts the journey that will change his life. I thought it was a fast thrilling read. It is Sci-fi done right! This book
Rebekah
Disclaimer: I received a free advance copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Sharon’s writing was very easy to read, and while I didn’t necessarily get lost in it like I do some other books, it was never hard to find a few minutes between tasks to read a little bit further.

Please read the full review available on my blog.
Tara
The electrifying main characters were solid, strong, and perfectly flawed to make us root for them. I loved the idea of a Texas Empire! My only complaint is I was left wanting more - more background about the blue energy and how it came to be, a deeper connection between Lena and Warren, and more insight into the supporting characters. It worked, but I know there's more behind the scenes! Hoping to get more in the next one!
Capri
I enjoyed the book. It was a little hard to get in to initially but once the story lines began to intertwine I could not put it down. I found the end lacking. I really hope their will be a follow up to take care of some lingering questions.
I really appreciated the cigarette comment. It had my house full of co-workers cracking up! Thanks so much for that Sharon; it is possibly my favorite line from a book ever!
Millie Burns
The action, the suspense, the mystery...The Charge! This book grabbed me from the get-go and drove me through page after page. The wild ride through an alternate universe caused my breath to catch in my throat time and again. The electrical energy of the quality of the writing caused all my synapses to fire...anxiously awaiting more Sharon!
Heather Gawiser
I found The Charge to be a page-turner. It was a great story, woven with intrigue, Texas history, fantasy, science fiction, and a little romance. Bayliss did a great job creating a story that weaved through these different genres of literature seamlessly. As a Native Texan, I enjoyed the historical fiction and the slant and inventive nature the author added to spice it up a bit! The characters were well-developed and even the "bad guys" were likeable. That being said, I also enjoyed not always b ...more
Shawna
A really great read with an interesting/original storyline and well-developed characters. Would definitely recommend it - and would have given it more stars if some of the concepts and history were more developed. So, it left me wanting more... prequels and sequels, please! Maybe that's a good thing!
Carolyn
My, my! This is certainly very exciting and attention-grabbing from the very start. The Charge is a very colorful and often humorous alternate history beginning in the Civil War, with just a touch of the supernatural. Light but quite entertaining.
Karen
I too was lucky and received an arc of The Charge. To me, the story was fresh and well written. The story moved along quickly with very engaging characters. Am I looking forward to more books by Ms. Bayliss? You bet!
Kaeads
I read The Charge in just one day because I literally couldn't put it down. The characters are well written, interesting, and have such mystery to them that I had to keep reading in order to find out what happened next. The Charge is an alternative history of Texas which tells the story of what happens when powerful people make decisions that impact the lives of people who are completely unaware of how each are linked. Finishing the book made me long for more. I want to know how democracy comes ...more
Elsie Elmore
I loved The Charge.

Sharon Bayliss offers the perfect amount of tension, intrigue, and romance in this alternate history YA book that will keep you guessing.

Coquille Fleur
The Charge sucked me right in with it's page-turning pace. It's a little bit dystopian, with an alternate history where Texas is home to an apocalypse in a fragmented country. There is a strange race of Texans who have blue energy that is more intense than normal humans after the Texas Royalty was bombed. Will finds himself on a hunt for his brother and ends up in the middle of a conspiracy he had no idea existed. It's a great premise and a fun read.
  • 18 Things
  • Automatic Woman
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • Broken Forest (Daath Chronicles, #1)
  • Quite Contrary
  • Buried
  • Sin
  • Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
  • Colour Wielders (Colour Wielders, #1)
  • KIYA: Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)
  • Death, the Devil, and the Goldfish
  • The Prince of Earth
  • Paradox
  • Five - Out of the Dark (Five #1)
  • Agony (Debt Collector, #2)
  • Wilde's Army (Darkness Falls, #2)
  • Ocean Kills (Ocean Breeze, #1)
  • Ultraviolet Catastrophe
Sharon Bayliss is the author of The December People Series and The Charge. When she’s not writing, she enjoys living happily-ever-after with her husband and two young sons. She can be found eating Tex-Mex on patios, wearing flip-flops, and playing in the mud (which she calls gardening). She only practices magic in emergencies.
More about Sharon Bayliss...
Destruction (The December People, #1) Watch Me Burn (The December People #2) Curiosity Quills: Primetime

“At the end of time, all that will be left is cockroaches and Texans.” 4 likes