Start by marking “The Three Little Gators” as Want to Read:
The Three Little Gators

The Three Little Gators

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A delightful retelling of the three little pigs story. Three little gators strike out on their own in an east Texas swamp. Their mother warns them to build strong houses that can protect them from Big-bottomed Boar, who likes to eat tasty, tender gators for his snack. Soon, First Gator builds himself a nice house out of rocks. Second Gator reckons rocks are too much work, ...more
Published December 14th 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Gators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Gators

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
This is another twist on the adventures of the three little pigs. This time, their three little Gators. This got to be so much fun to read that my wife made me stop reading it before they went to bed. They'd be too fired up with giggle fests to sleep.

I recommend reading in a good Scatman Crothers immpression. With kids the ages of mine, it helped, they had never heard of Crothers or Hong Kong Phooey. So, it was a first for them. And make sure you wiggle your hips and bump a kid or two in the "B
midnightfaerie
A fun new twist on the old tale, The Three Little Pigs, the 3 little gators start out in the world, determined to make it on their own and be safe from the big bad boar. Appealing pictures with bright colors held the attention of my 3 yr olds, while the twist on the classic fairy tale story held the attention of my 1st grader. I myself liked to see the ways in which the story broke off from the original and became its own. A fun family read.
Kirby
Y'all -- I dare you not to laugh out loud reading this fresh and funny retelling of the Three Little Pigs. Helen Ketteman may even have topped her fabulous Bubba the Cowboy Prince with this new book. Humorous pictures by Will Terry make great use of perspective.
Kelly
From January through March 2014, my preschool classroom engaged in a fractured fairytale unit as a unifying theme for our larger multidisciplinary curriculum. Engaging both traditional and fractured versions of the three little pigs story allowed our classroom community to explore ideas of character voice and perspective, engage in our own construction work (with Lincoln Logs, miniature bricks, unit blocks, clay, etc.), write stories individually and collaboratively, perform Readers' Theatre, an ...more
Kris
A swampy twist on "Three Little Pigs". In this version, the Big-bottomed Boar is the one to be feared, at least for the three little gators. It follows the typical plot (three houses are built, etc.) so works well for the folktale units, and for retelling or Readers' Theater. Fun language! "I'll wiggle my rump with a bump, bump, bump and smash your house!"
Cheryl
Oh I wish I had a little one to read this aloud with! The wolf is replaced by the Big-bottomed Boar who says "I'll wiggle my rump with a Bump, Bump, Bump and smash your house!" Not to mention idioms like "... faster than snakes after a bullfrog." Bright & funny illustrations are perfect.
Deb Jones
The Three Little Gators is a colorful and comical tale about three young alligators that set off on their own from Texas. The story follows the same pattern as The Three Little Pigs, but instead of the big, bad wolf, the little gators must build houses to keep them safe from the Big-Bottomed Boar. This would be an excellent book to use in teaching compare and contrast. Although the dialogue is very similar to the original tale, the setting and rhyming scheme are adapted to the characters in this ...more
Amy
Both of the children really enjoyed this book and laughed their brains out. It was lots of fun to read aloud, and the pictures were bright and well done, too. Very cute Texas retelling of The Three Little Pigs.
Jonathan
This could be considered a fractured fairy tale. It is a great twist from the classic tale three little pigs but with the obvious twist of alligators. This tale begins with the gators going to live alone and each gator making a house of their own. One house made of rocks, one house made of sticks, and one house made of sand.

The point of these houses is to stay away from the big-bottomed boar. This humorous spin and the use of great illustrations makes this fun spin on a classic tale a possible c
MrsMaryLibrary
Summary

The familiar tale of The Three Little Pigs encounters a seasoned twist of the east Texas swamp in The Three Little Gators. Mama gator sends her three little gator boys out on their own with a warning to build safe strong houses to withstand the infamously evil Big-bottomed Boar. The gators each build a house from either rocks, sticks or sand.

In traditional fashion, it’s not long before the Big-bottomed Boar arrives and with a, “…wiggle [of] my rump with a bump, bump, bump” he destroys the
Beverly
Wonderful illustrations, especially of the round, large-bottomed boar.
Victoria Galvan
A cute Texas twist on 3 little pigs. The boar wiggles his rump!
Nicole Harding
This is a really fun take on the story of the Three Little Pigs. The villain in this story is the big bottom boar. He takes his rump and with a big bump bump bump he knocks down the houses of these East Texas Gators. The story is perfect for adding that southwestern twang while reading it out loud. The kids in my storytimes this month have LOVED this story. The end of the story has the Big Bottom Boar running away with a striped bottom from landing on the gator's barbecue grill!
Kim
Sep 26, 2010 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: FRA2010
Shelves: children
This is a fun take on the Three Little Pigs with Gators and a Big-Bottomed Boar. Like The Three Little Pigs, the Gators set out to make a life of their own. The first gator builds his house of stone, the second gator - a house of sticks, and the third gator - a house of sand. You can figure out which house withstands the Big- Bottomed Boar when he comes along and wiggles his rump with a "bump, bump, bump". Very cute and the illustrations will have you laughing out loud.
Christy
A delightfull retelling of the three little pigs story. Three little gators strike out on their own in an east Texas swamp. Their mother warns them to build strong houses that can protect them from Big-bottomed Boar, who likes to eat tasty, tender gators for his snack. Soon, First Gator builds himself a nice house out of rocks. Second Gator reckons rocks are too much work,

Rachel
Funny little retelling of the three little pigs story. In this version, a boar pursues the three little gators in a Texas swamp. We read a lot of great kids books, but when I see one that sticks out as being great for teaching I add it to my list here so I can remember it.
Charlyn  Trussell
This humorous twist on the three little pigs is set in an east Texas swamp. Mother Gator warns her children of the wicked Big-Bottomed Boar, but we all know how that goes and familiarity is just part of the fun of this story. This book is a rambuctious romp!
Taahira
I really enjoyed this book and I think children would, too, thorougly enjoy it. It is a twist on the classic Three Pigs story. It is humorous and the illustrations are great. This book allows for great interaction while reading the book and introduces new vocabulary.
Robin
A fantastic parody of the classic Three Little Pigs tale with a Southern flair. The gators and Big-Bottomed Boar are lively, clever characters with sass and lotsa personality. The illustrations add humor to the bayou atmosphere. Great read-aloud!
Alicia
Not only are the illustrations fun, but the saying of the big-bottomed boar is hilarious every time he wants to blow the gators' houses down. I loved the fractured fairy tale and was amused by the three different gator brothers.
Dayna
My kids LOVE any variety of the big, bad wolf story, and this delightful retelling is set right in East Texas! They could not get enough of this book. We read it enough times to where we all had it about memorized. Loved it!
Kim
Bayou version of 3 pigs. Adorable illustrations and rhyming text with onomatopoeic words. Only problem was trying to get over the idea of gators as prey.

themes: alligators, boars, fractured fairytales, swamp, Three Pigs
Elizabeth
A Bridget-Best-Books-of-2009 Pick : )

She'll be getting this for Christmas, because to hear her say she's going to "wiggle my rump with a bump bump bump and SMASH. YOUR. HOUSE." is quite nearly the funniest thing ever.
Mariah Smith
This is the most hilarious version of the three little pigs on the planet. Get ready to use some funny voices when reading this aloud. Read it while standing up, so you can shake your tushy at the right times!
Brittany
The three little pigs is a common story. However, I like how this book retells the story using three little gators. Great story using a classic and adding creativity to it. I think the students would love this book!
Karla
This charming adaptation of the story of the "Three Little Pigs" has the three gators narrowly escaping the clutches big bottomed boar. Engagingly illustrated--who knew alligators could be so expressive?
Tammy
Think three little pigs but with catchier lines. "Then I'll wiggle my rump with a bump, bump, bump and smash your house!" is a little funnier than huffing and puffing and blowing a house in. :)
Jenny
This book is yet another variation of "The Three Little Pigs". It's a cute read with charming illustrations. The way the Big Bad boar knocks down their houses was always good for a giggle.
Yet another remake of the three little pigs. However, this time three gators are pitted against the big-bottomed boar. Now that'll bring a giggle out in most children and adults alike!
Christine Turner
"In this adaptation of the traditional folktale, three little gators each build their house in an east Texas swamp, hoping for protection from the Big-bottomed Boar."

www.hcpl.net

• Rattletrap Car
  • Waking Beauty
  • I'm Dirty!
  • The Three Silly Billies
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
author and mother of two grown sons. Texas, where she lived for 9 years, is one of her favorite places and several of her books are set there. She, her husband, and their two cats currently live in Sanibel Island, Florida--where plenty of armadillos live, too.
More about Helen Ketteman...
Bubba, The Cowboy Prince Goodnight, Little Monster Armadilly Chili Armadillo Tattletale At the Old Haunted House