Start by marking “Darkness Rising (Catmage Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Rising (Catmage Chronicles, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

Darkness Rising (Catmage Chronicles, #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It's been hundreds of years since the Darkness last surfaced, a grim time when both humans and Catmages lost their lives. But now the Wild Ones work with humans again, and thirteen-year-old Andy Cohen gets the surprise of his life when a talking cat shows up in his front yard. Goldeneyes, a powerful Catmage, needs Andy's help. In the exciting first installment of this new ...more
Published October 12th 2012 by MAY Publishing (first published September 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Rising

Althea
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. On the whole I liked it.

Characters:
I really loved the cat characters in the book. They had very distinct personalities with good and bad character traits. I especially liked Patches for his innocence and ambition. I would pick up the sequels to this book just to find out what will happen to Patches. With the exceptions of artsy Becca, evil/misunderstood Taylor and goofy Mike, the human characters were a bit harder for me to picture. We know that
I won a copy of this book through one of Goodreads' First Reads giveaways.

I'm a softie. I enjoy young adult books written for all ages of "young adult." Most of the YA I've been reading recently has been aimed at 16-18, but this one is aimed at 12-15, I'd say (considering Andy's age). It does deals with some serious themes (torture, bullying, murder, manipulation) but in a non-depressing, non-graphic way. The friendships formed gave me warm fuzzies.

In Darkness Rising , Andy and his friends, alo
Fireworkrox
I loved this book so much!!!!! It was great that Goldeneyes found the thing she was looking for. I don't think that the cat that had died should've died. I was surprised by the cats talking about the council! Then, when I read on, it made sense. The catmages had gotten their human language long ago. I loved it and i cant wait for the next book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDXDXD
Cheryl Landmark
What a fun, delightful read this was! Even though I'm more of a dog person than a cat person, I really loved the Catmages in this story with their magical ability to speak and their distinct personalities, traits and temperaments.

Andy and his friends were typical young children and acted their ages. I enjoyed the interactions between Andy, Mike and Becca, which reminded me a lot of the triad of Harry, Hermoine and Ron in the Harry Potter series. My two favourite cat characters were Goldeneyes, w
Carlos Jr.
Magic, dark powers, plus a talking cat!!! I need a copy. I'll read this three times. And I have a feeling I won't be the only one.
K.C. Sprayberry
"Cats and dogs living together."
So begins this captivating tale. Yet, the statement doesn't come from the Catmages who must rebuild their lives after a devastating attack upon their council. Nor do those words come from young Andy Cohen, who is a victim of bullying, and the Son of Aaron – predicted to assist the Catmages in stopping the Darkness, along with Goldeneyes (Zahavin) and Hakham.
Meryl Yourish was unknown to me, until I received an email asking me to review her book. Not knowing much ab
Cindy
I got this book through first reads.

Darkness Rising was a very enjoyable read. It had many things I liked. There was humor, moments of suspense, friendship, and some action. There were times in the book where I did not expect situations to go the way they did. Riveting moments. It had its sad parts too. I teared up around the last pages.

I have read books with cats before, but not like Darkness Rising. The Catmage culture was interesting. I will not look at cats the same way.

My favorite felines w

Darkness Rising is a very well written novel full of action, suspense, and humor. I really loved the plot, for I am definitely a fan of cats. Goldeneyes, Lei Lei, Patches, and Silsula are my favorites. The human characters were also likable and very realistic. Becca sounds like the kind of girl that I might become friends with.

I really liked the mention of the Salem Witch Trials. Thats actually a topic that I am very interested in. Reading about Andy's history lesson was very enjoyable.

I have a
Monica
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

The book description had me at "cat." This title is probably best suited to a middle-school-age audience. As an older reader, I would have liked to have seen more character development; the cats had more personality than the humans. The villains (human and animal) were bullies, childish, and always seemed to be one step ahead of the good guys. The plot did not move along very smoothly with the action skipping large chunks of time. This introduced
Michelle
I was one of the lucky winners of this book through a goodreads contest. I finished the book and I really enjoyed it. I have the second book and have started it. I think it was well written. This is written for older children. I tried to read it with my 8 year old but he didn't like it too well and there are some parts that are not meant for young children.

Overall, I did enjoy it and I will pass it on so other people can read it also.
Finrod
Piacevole fantasy con target "young adults" ma che pur con le limitazioni del caso è comunque decisamente godibile e piacevole anche per chi è "adult" e basta. “Darkness Rising” è ben scritto, con una trama coerente e personaggi azzeccati e ben delineati, e infine con interessanti spunti verso la cultura e la religione ebraica. Ovviamente non esiste una versione in italiano (è un autopubblicato) ma è scritto in un inglese piuttosto facile.
Insomma: da comprare subito se amate il fantasy ed i gat
Janet
Nov 21, 2012 Janet rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult and adult fantasy readers
This book is wonderful YA fantasy. Telepathic cats, good vs. evil, ties to historical events, kids who actually sound like kids...

Totally left me wishing my cats could tell me what they're thinking!
Kathy
A great story that held my interest even as an adult - I will put Darkness Rising into out library at school!
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Michael To
Michael To marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Alex Webb
Alex Webb marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Brenda Demko
Brenda Demko marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Narendran
Narendran marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Keisha A
Keisha A marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Deval
Deval marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Chelsea Meissner
Chelsea Meissner marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Beth Grossman- yacoub
Beth Grossman- yacoub marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Taya
Taya added it
Jul 23, 2014
Kate Mullally
Kate Mullally marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Addicted to YA: Any Richmond, VA members out there? 3 18 Jan 09, 2013 07:51PM
Addicted to YA: The Catmage Chronicles Giveaway 1 10 Jan 04, 2013 08:11PM
We ♥ YA Books! : The Catmage Chronicles Giveaway 1 4 Dec 14, 2012 09:05AM
  • A Balance Broken (The Dragonsoul Saga, #1)
  • Doors to Eternity (Temple of the Traveler, #1)
  • The Last Great Wizard of Yden (Yden, #1)
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Legend of the Book Keeper (Lost City Chronicles, #1)
  • Falls The Shadow (The Chronicles of Midgard, #1)
  • Insanity (The Vampire's Heart, #1)
  • Rise of the Shadow Stealers: The Firebird Chronicles
  • Songs for a Machine Age
  • Ghosts in the Yew (Vesteal, #1)
  • The Protectors: A Blue History Novel
  • Retrieved (The Shapeshifters' Library, #2)
  • Eleven
  • Rise of the Red Dragon (Chi, #1)
  • Adderwald
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • Seeing Things
  • Kaytek the Wizard
Meryl Yourish is a graduate of the Clarion Science Fiction and Fanstasy Writers Workshop (1990, Michigan State University). She has been writing since the ninth grade, when her very first short story was published in the Parents Night magazine.

Meryl spent most of her life in northeastern New Jersey. She moved to Richmond, VA in 2002, where she lives with two cats that look suspiciously like Golden
More about Meryl Yourish...
Darkness Ascendant (The Catmage Chronicles, #2)