Start by marking “The Secrets of Happily Married Women: How to Get More Out of Your Relationship by Doing Less” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Publisher's Note A common-sense approach to help women enjoy a happy marriage draws on online surveys, clinical practice, and real-life scenarios to reveal the secrets of a happy marriage, explaining how to handle communication, sex, conflict, and other marital issues by emphasizing men's need to please a woman.
Published January 9th 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Happily Married Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Happily Married Women

This book is a little on the light side and is very traditional (women need to get used to the idea of doing most of the housework, women who work and earn 1/3 of household income or less are happier than those who work and earn the same amount of money or more than their husbands, etc.)

Also, right in the first chapter he declares, "Men need to be right and be in control" but does not back up exactly what he means by that. The only anecdote that accompanies that statement is about a husband and
Jenny Taylor
Haltzman bases his theory on the biological differences between men and women. While much of his advice is solid, the writing comes off at times as chauvinistic and at times as belittling to men. Overall, it's worth a read; You're likely to find some tidbit that can be applied to your own situation.
If this books seems simple, that's because it is!!! Men are simple creatures (in general)...they don't have too much to say and they don't dwell on things!

I appreciated the biological evidence the author highlighted to explain why men have a harder time communicating. This book just made sense to me and was a very easy read!

I will be buying my own copy to keep on the shelf to read again from time to time to help remind me of why my husband does the things he does!

I also think this is a great b
There seemed to be less substance to this book than to the companion book with advice for husbands. I felt the author, being male, was much more insightful in his advice for husbands. The advice in this book is not bad, he dwells on two items - communication & the physical side of marriage - affection/sex/exercise. Perhaps the nature of the beast makes this a less compelling book - women naturally work harder at making a marriage work. They are generally more intuitive (as discussed in the b ...more
I think this book was pretty helpful to me. A lot of it made perfect sense and really spelled out for me how to communicate better, in ways I've never read in any other book. Since reading it, I find myself thinking before I speak to my husband and considering if it's helpful or not. Is now the time to bring up that subject? And if so, how can I fraze it in a way he'll be receptive to? I also realized women talk too much and need to get to the point when talking to men, especially when I'm askin ...more
A down to earth view with practical tips. You can definately tell it was written by a guy, but it's engaging, entertaining and informative. Am planning on trying some of these "secrets" and see how it goes :)
Leslie North
Jun 08, 2009 Leslie North is currently reading it
I have to return it to the library, but I am not finished. Its actually very good so I want to finish later. I'm on page 105
Simple, clear, research-based advice on what makes men happy...and what makes us happy as wives. I really enjoyed this book!
Maureen Jackson
Terrible book, please do not waste your time.
Jul 11, 2008 Gina is currently reading it
A little "lite", but interesting
A little cheesy, but not bad.
Apr 26, 2010 Tammy marked it as to-read
646.78 Hal
Great book for newly married women.
Sarah Pundsack
Sarah Pundsack marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Charmee Jd
Charmee Jd is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Quinn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Amber Chapais
Amber Chapais marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Sonia S
Sonia S marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
MyLabs marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015