Start by marking “The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)

The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse 0.5)

An ebook original short story set before The Assassin's Curse.

You’ve read The Assassin’s Curse. You’ve met Naji. Now go back in time and see Naji in his earlier years, as he seeks a target and ends up clashing with Leila, the river witch.
Published February 5th 2013 by Strange Chemistry (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Betrayal, please sign up.

JB Lynn It's more about Naji's past and how he got his scars than it is about Leila. You might not want to kill her in the end, but you might want to slap…moreIt's more about Naji's past and how he got his scars than it is about Leila. You might not want to kill her in the end, but you might want to slap her. Totally worth the read, and it's a quick one!(less)
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
132nd out of 620 books — 1,158 voters
Ignite Me by Tahereh MafiUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Crazy Graphics and Cool Font Covers!!
35th out of 352 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
Feb 01, 2013 Nina marked it as to-read
Leila...
description
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Oh, my poor Naji. It's no wonder he seems so hard and distant in The Assassin's Curse . He's suffered, been betrayed by someone close, and he believes he's becoming the monster everyone already sees him as. I knew there was more to him, but now I think I have a better understanding of his character and therefore a better understanding of his intentions.

All the while Ananna was taunting Naji in The Assassin's Curse, you could see that he was truly hurt and disparaged by some of the comments she
Dani
Jan 22, 2013 Dani rated it really liked it
Oh, Naji... le sigh...

Fantastic and meaty little short story -- narrated by Naji -- that gives the reader extra background info about his relationship with the river witch Leila as well as just being a great little character-development piece. Was wonderful to be reminded just how lovely and sophisticated Clarke's writing style is, and also to be reminded just how much I love Naji's complexities and internal conflict. I cannot WAIT for The Pirate's Wish!
Rahaf Alghamdi
5/5

I just randomly really missed Naji :///
Angelica
OMG!!! Naji I love you!!!! He was definitely on my list of book boyfriends back in The Assassin's Curse but now he has gone to my top ten. It makes me sad that he seems to have such a low self esteem and a bit of self hatred and yet he is such a good person. He deserves someone to love him for who and what he is and also despite of what he looks like. This is why he and Ananna are a good pair, she doesn't see a monster inside or outside of him. Oh and Leila, you can go jump of a bridge. Better y ...more
Asia
Dec 27, 2015 Asia rated it really liked it

Well, now we know how he got his scars.
jordan
Feb 01, 2014 jordan rated it really liked it
I am so grateful for this little short story. While reading The Assassin's curse, I was craving something, anything, from Naji's point of view. After reading The Witch's Curse, I love Naji even more and officially hate Leila. LEILA. The conniving, self centered asshat. I'm glad we were able to learn the story behind Naji's scars, as I was extremely curious throughout the entire first book. It was also interesting to see Naji actually completing his job. It now makes more sense as to why Naji was ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
3.5

*Book source ~ Purchased at Amazon

Naji is an assassin and the target he’s after has been aided by Leila the river witch. Forced to get creative in his tracking he ends up paying a huge price for his diligence.

Not having read The Assassin’s Curse series this short tale is interesting enough that I really want to dive into it and see what Naji’s future holds. I can’t say I like Leila, but then again, she’s trying to survive. And Naji’s creative tracking, while finding him his target, ends up co
Bethzua
Sep 21, 2014 Bethzua rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
Ay, pobre Naji. Aunque tiene un pasado muy triste, me encantó poder indagar en él. Desde que comencé los libros me había dejado intrigada este personaje, y ahora que pude saber más de él, comprendí muchas de sus reacciones y razones para actuar como lo hizo en la historia principal. Es una lástima que esta novella haya sido demasiado corta, pues la narrativa de Clarke es maravillosa.
Tiara
Jun 26, 2013 Tiara rated it it was ok
It was disappointing, not going to lie. I know it's a novella but it's extremely short. I mean, it does the job of filling in the blanks of this guy that's supposed to be mysterious but there's nothing shocking here. Everything that happens, you could pretty much have guessed from the first novel so I just didn't really see what the purpose of the novella was... Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm disappointed because the POV narration isn't as unique as it was in the Assassin's Curse. But really ...more
Amy
May 03, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Oh, poor poor Naji. I just want to cuddle him, gah. It was really interesting getting to read this short story from his perspective. It let you see how he got damaged the way he is, and makes you realize how hurtful some of the things Ananna said to him in The Assassin's Curse might have actually hurt him. And Leila, ugh. It was interesting seeing her from Naji's perspective, but I still don't like her. Especially after the way she betrayed him, and didn't want to be with him anymore once he was ...more
Lara
Excellent prequel to The Assassin's Curse, telling the story of Naji's disfigurement and where things went wrong with Leila. I'm soooooo looking forward to the second full-length book in this series; something about this world and the characters just really grabbed me. Hurry up, June!
Wyatt Packard
Aug 28, 2013 Wyatt Packard rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
Naji expects his next mission to go quickly, but then he discovers his old flame Leila is involved. The story itself is very short and makes an effort to cover alot of ground in a very short ammount of time. The Witch's Betrayal sheds some light on Naji's past, which I did enjoy but a few things are not very clear at points. This story does add a few world building elements and if interested should be read after Assassin's Curse.
Engelbert López
Jun 23, 2015 Engelbert López rated it it was amazing
Guao. Me sorprende lo mucho que me ha gustado esta historia corta. Es verdad que se escurre entre los dedos como la arena de la playa, se acaba de un momento a otro, pero nos permite conocer un poco mas de Naji, no deja entender un poco mas su personaje, su fortaleza y su debilidad. Excelente historia de verdad. Me ha encantado.
Ahnya
Aug 23, 2016 Ahnya rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just a short novella to go along with the Assassin's Curse Duo. It is a story about one of Naji's assignments before he meets Ananna. Provides a little more background on Naji, and a little more color in this beautiful world Clarke created.
Lima
Oct 04, 2015 Lima rated it it was ok
Kinda disappointing. This novella would have been better had it been a bit longer, just a little bit, to get a glimpse of what is really important about Naji, not just how he got his burn scar but how he felt about it and how much it hurt him and changed him inside.
Shambhawi P.
Aug 04, 2013 Shambhawi P. rated it really liked it
A great, short read. Gives us better insight into Naji and his insecurities and how he got the scars. It also shows us a particularly venomous side of Leila, whom we met in first book briefly.

But truly, this raises more questions about the Assassins' blood magic than it answers them.
Lucia
Oct 30, 2014 Lucia rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Cuenta como Naji obtuvo sus cicatrices, y muestra un poco más de su relación con Leila. Tiene una trama y un poco de accion y misterio, que es más de lo que puedo decir de muchas de las historias cortas que estuve leyendo, así que se merece mas estrellas.
Anastasia
Jul 18, 2015 Anastasia rated it liked it
It was okay. It was kinda nice to read from Naji's perspective, but the story was too short to care. I thought we'd know more about him and Leila, but we just got to see one fifth of their relationship. Though I probably shouldn't've expected much from the short story.
Natalie Snow
Sep 29, 2016 Natalie Snow rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
As good as The Assassins Curse. Wish it was longer though.
I like Leila even less now. Which wasnt high to begin with.

But Naji, come here!
ekarifin
Well, I don't like Leila and this short story just makes me hate her more.

e
Melvina Kelmendi
Jan 08, 2016 Melvina Kelmendi rated it it was amazing
ohh :(
Sydney
Sep 25, 2016 Sydney rated it it was ok
Just some background knowledge that didn't really do anything for me in terms of the character and backstory. Flat. So I guess, now I know that reason he wants to hide his scar from Leila is because he feels ashamed he did something as dumb as stick his face into ever-burning magical fire and wants to hide his ugliness from her because she only loves beautiful people, like-- what?
Grace Troxel
Aug 27, 2014 Grace Troxel rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

The Witch’s Betrayal is a short story set in the same world as Cassandra Rose Clarke’s The Assassin’s Curse duology. One of the main characters in The Assassin’s Curse is Naji, an assassin who wields powerful blood magic to hunt down his prey. In the previous books, Clarke mentions that Naji’s face is heavily scarred, but doesn’t go into any detail as to why. The Witch’s Betrayal tells
Ashley Ferguson
Apr 15, 2013 Ashley Ferguson rated it really liked it
I really liked The Assassin's Curse, and I really liked Naji. And this story really just made me like him even more. Clark does a really excellent job of portraying Naji as an assassin with a conscience, which I can't imagine is very easy to do.

In The Assassin's Curse, I was really interested in the history between Leila and Naji, and this short story pretty much answered all of the questions I had there! Plus, you get to learn how his face becomes scarred. I thought it was actually very noble,
Amy Acosta
Feb 10, 2013 Amy Acosta rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fantastic short story from Naji’s POV that shows his relationship to Leila, the river witch, and the events leading to the scarring of his face. One of the things I love about Naji is his internal conflicts. Here it’s even more evident that Naji is slightly bothered by the fear people feel and show when they see him. And this is before his face is burned, so just imagine the issues he has with it in The Assassin’s Curse, where people fear him not just for his profession but for his ...more
Zara Khan
Aug 10, 2015 Zara Khan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is about Naji's past and based on his P.O.V

best of both worlds right?
who doesn't want to know about his scare and want to take a sneak peek into workings of the brain of the Broody,Dark Assassin

Though this book is very sad (I knew it would be since it would be dealing with his past and the scar) Naji had landed in my top ten Y.A boyfriends list

And Liela.....

just when I thought I couldn't hate her more for the way she treated Naji in the first book,Assassin's curse she had to prove
Cristal (Professional Book Procrastinator)
Review on The Life & Times Blog

The Witch’s Betrayal is a short story involving Naji before he met Ananna in The Assassin’s Curse. During this point in time he is trying to complete an assignment to kill Lisim Sarr, a dangerous man who practices powerful dark magic.

While he is in search of Lisim, he crosses paths with Leila, the river witch. He soon discovers that this assignment is not as simple as he once thought and to accomplish his goal he will need to utilize more than just his magic s
Morgan
Mar 13, 2013 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This was a great short story that revealed Naji in ways that The Assassin's Curse didn't. Small hints about his past with the Order and with Leila. This short story makes me think that Naji and Ananna are meant for each other more than ever. She loves him regardless of his scar. I just wish he knew how she felt about him. Something big is going to go down in the continuation of the story. I hope we hear more of Naji's opinion in The Pirate's Wish.
Great short read that helps us as readers see wh
Louise
Nov 23, 2016 Louise rated it liked it
An enjoyable short story, a prequel to The Assassin's Curse although I think it would actually make more sense having read the main book first. I haven't read the main book, and felt I would have enjoyed this more if it was filling in background about characters from the book, rather than being an introduction to it.

UPDATE: Having now read The Assassin's Curse, this prequel definitely makes more sense and is more enjoyable knowing the first book. I don't think it's enough to perhaps draw you int
The Assassin's Cu...: The Witch's Betrayal (novella) 8 22 Apr 19, 2014 06:54AM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Blood of the Sorcerer  (The Kingdom Chronicles #2)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • Allies (Insignia #1.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed: Marco's Story (The Dispossessed, #1.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
5331983
Cassandra Rose Clarke is a speculative fiction writer living amongst the beige stucco and overgrown pecan trees of Houston, Texas. She graduated in 2006 from The University of St. Thomas with a bachelor’s degree in English, and in 2008 she completed her master’s degree in creative writing at The University of Texas at Austin. Both of these degrees have served her surprisingly well.

During the summe
More about Cassandra Rose Clarke...

The Assassin's Curse (2 books)
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)