Start by marking “The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series #1)

The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (Mystery #1)

Are you up for a thrilling adventure?

When twelve year old Joe Mitchell, along with his two younger sisters, visits Smugglers Cove for the summer holidays, they get caught up in a thrilling adventure that is beyond their wildest imagination.

Follow the children as they flee down a river, are chased by ferocious dogs, locked up in an old manor, get lost at sea, expose a spy
Published January 31st 2013 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Smugglers Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Smugglers Cove

Tweety
Sep 25, 2013 Tweety rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and Children at heart
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
Well, I have never been so surprised by a children's book before. At first I thought it was just a pretty good book. But about half way through a stunning twist had me on the edge of my seat and coming to the conclusion that as good as Enid Blyton was she would never have had such a twist. Most of the children's books I have read were black and white. This one was not so. Of course good wins, but it was the fact that not all the characters where perfectly good or bad that was so different. And ...more
Kim
I received this book from a goodreads giveaway but the opinions are 100% mine!

This was a fast paced adventure/mystery set in the 1950s in Britain. I think fans of the hardy boys and nancy drew type series will enjoy this book. I love how these kids go out to find adventure and makes friends quickly. The plot is fast paced and clues are left that later lead tie the mystery together. The curiosity of the children often gets them into trouble including numerous times getting captured, but it all wo
Ashley
Nov 05, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
I remember reading The Boxcar Children when I was younger and I loved them! I thought I'd take a jaunt down memory lane with this novel. Unfortunately, the writing could use some work. I had a hard time following the plot because of lack of descriptive language =(
Beth Mcmanus
Dec 14, 2012 Beth Mcmanus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book! Much faster paced than most books written for kids in the 50s-60s, but kept the innocence of the times. Not only did I love it, but my kids did as well. We're anxiously awaiting book 2.
Amy
Apr 25, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I am reading this to my 3rd and 4th grade language arts students while they do their daily writing. They have to write until I stop reading. They still don't want me to stop every day!
Frenchie
Sep 30, 2013 Frenchie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Youngters between 7-10
Recommended to Frenchie by: Find a post from the author in a forum about it
My children and I read it last year in June 2012. This is what I wrote then.

My son rated it 4 stars, my daughter 5. So, it should be really 4.5 stars.

From the point of view of a parent, I think it is an excellent book for young readers. It has it all, the holidays, the children turned detectives, the bad guys, the well described seaside with caves, the adults called away because of crisis. It is well written, no bad language and no modern gadgets.

a - My 11 year old son said it was ok but at time
Lbousson
Oct 14, 2015 Lbousson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fast-read, mystery, 1950s
This is another book that I read years ago (I bought/downloaded it in 2012,) but I couldn't remember much about it. It's a YA mystery set in the 1950's England, involving Joe, his two sisters: Amy and Sarah, and friend Will. This is a quick read, and despite (or maybe because,) it is set in the 1950's, it was a fast, fun read. A few grammatical errors in this early version I have (perhaps cleaned up in later versions?) But the errors are so uncommon that it really didn't bother me too much.

If yo
Sally906
It is wonderful to be once more able to read a good old-fashioned rollicking kids adventure story. Back in the 1950s, early 60s, kids had no electronic devices to entertain them, they made their own fun and often that meant entering a world of make-believe. Back then my friends and I would play for hours – cowboys and Indians (I was always the Indian and tied to a tree), cops and robbers (I was always the robber and tied to a tree), English soldiers and German soldiers (I was always the German ...more
Steve
Oct 18, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
This is a very mixed blessing. Mostly it’s a story with lots of action and adventure that would engage a young reader well with its content. This is, unfortunately, marred by poor editing. As an adult reader, I firmly believe YA books MUST be sound grammatically and in punctuation, part of an author’s duty to his or her audience. This one does not meet those standards. The title’s lack of apostrophe raised a dubious eyebrow, but other such errors existed in the book, most prominently “German ...more
Xyra
Dec 28, 2015 Xyra rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I really liked the action and adventure. I also liked that there was a disclaimer at the beginning with regards to the setting and language. Going into the book knowing I was to read the Queen's English and not American English is helpful.

Also important to the reader is the era of the setting. While not specifically stated one can determine the era to be the 1950s, maybe the 1960s. The children are on holiday and left alone a lot with no means of communication other than run
Georgia
Famous Five Meets Tintin

The Mystery of Smugglers Cove by Paul Moxham is the first in his new The Mystery Series. Set in 1950's England, we follow a group of four children (Joe, Amy, Sarah and Will) on their adventures.

The first book starts it all off. Three siblings meet a fourth member and together they explore the local caves and get a greater adventure than even their imaginations could have thought of.

Reading the first book is very reminiscent of the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton. The au
Rhonda
Nov 07, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of Smugglers Cove by Paul Moxham
4 STARS

The Mystery of Smugglers Cove is book 1 in the Mystery series by Paul Moxham. It is set in 1950 England. It is an old fashion mystery with children exploring the land around them instead of watching tv or playing video games.
I found it entertaining and lots of action as the children find smugglers using the caves.
Sarah was the youngest of the children at age 8. Amy 10 and her brother Joe 12 and thier new friend Will 12. Joe and his sisters are
Trish at Between My Lines
Mar 29, 2014 Trish at Between My Lines rated it it was ok
Shelves: free
I picked up this book because I loved the Enid Blyton vibe with the name and the cover. However I feel that it's very Enid Blyton light.

Enid Blyton while far from a faultless writer had a knack for writing about characters that I cared about. In this book, there was next to no character development. I like to know something about the characters I'm reading about and I didn't get that here. They were just like pawns being moved about from space to space and I feel indifferent about the cast.

I di
Gary Henicke
I read this book because the author offered it for free and I also thought there was an unfair review of the story.

The story has plenty of of action and the kids in it are fearless.

It did get a little confusing with all the tunnels and caves in the story. It was kind of funny how one of the characters rushed into his house to tell his father his friends were being held captive by some crooks, but made sure to drink a glass of milk first. Another kid makes his friends eat a good lunch before goin
Diane
May 23, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a children's mystery reminiscent of the Hardy Boys, The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. The author set the story in England in the 1950's so you should plan on doing a book talk about the time period before your child or students read it. This will clarify references to 'after the war' and the freedom children have to run around unsupervised by any adults. You will also need to include a discussion about the lack of technology that we have access to today. Some of the ...more
Martha
Jul 12, 2013 Martha rated it liked it
The Mystery of Smugglers Cove ( The Mystery Series, #1) reminded me of an adventure story similar to the Boxcar Children or Hardy Boys. The 4 children in this story Sarah (8) , Amy (10) ,Joe (12) and their friend Will meet at Smugglers Cove and instantly start exploring an abandoned house near the coast of England. The children are determined to find out if there is a passage from the old mansion to the caves by the sea. Inside the caves are many tunnels that connect through small openings that ...more
Angela Lambkin
Jul 22, 2015 Angela Lambkin rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it immensely! It kept my attention and kept giving me the urge to want. to continue this neat short story to find. out how these four kids would come out and if they would find. the person who's suitcase it was and why it was hidden in a bush under the snow? A very clean reads,too! I recommend
this ebook for elementary grade school and up who prefer a short,clean and great mystery with adventures and daring episodes with these children who seems to be drawn into many of these. For all
Diane Runyan
Dec 25, 2015 Diane Runyan rated it liked it
Great mystery for children.

I was looking for books similar to those that Franklin Dixon and Carolyn Keene have written and Moxham fits the bill. The story involves 4 youngsters that stumble upon a ring of counterfeiters. The children encounter all kinds of obstacles as they figure out what to do to catch the bad guys!
Inzelet
Apr 12, 2014 Inzelet rated it it was amazing
Great book!

This is a great addition to all the mystery stories I've read over the years! I couldn't put it down(except when I had to go...lol). It reminded me of my youth and Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys days! I'm older now and still find adventurous mystery books exciting. Everyone of all ages should read this book! Wonderful work!
Rachel Despins
Mar 12, 2016 Rachel Despins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, middle-grade
This was a very quick, action-packed book! The kids in the story were my favorite part along with Mr. Spencer. Loved the mystery too. I was able to read this book in a couple of hours - excellent stuff.
Heather
Jan 09, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Good book

My son loved this book. We read it together and I frequently was begged to read ,"just 1 more chapter. " he was sucked into all the adventure. For my taste there was a bit too much adventure.
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I was very surprised by this book. At first I thought that it was just another formula kids story, but I was wrong. The fast pace mystery was reemission of Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys serials, however with more twist and turns. Just when you think, you know, whodoneit, you don't.
Melissa T
Feb 21, 2015 Melissa T rated it it was amazing
Good book

It has a lot of mystery in & that's why I like it. It is a good book.
8 yr old reader
Tammy
Aug 20, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing
It was a fast cute read. The kids don't go looking for mysteries, the mystery just happens to fall into their laps.
Angela
May 30, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
As an adult I still love this children's series. It's a lighthearted quick mystery, and I enjoy the children's adventures.
Angie stickel
Mar 03, 2015 Angie stickel rated it it was amazing
Great book

Thank you I loved it. What a wonderful book. I would recommend it to anyone that loves adventures and thrills.

ALEX
Jun 26, 2015 ALEX rated it it was amazing
Mystery

Very nice BOOKs also entertaining BOOK too I think it's outstanding I
Yoshi
Mar 01, 2015 Yoshi rated it it was amazing
Real pageturner. Can't wait to read another adventure of them.
Sirajudeen Samsudeen
Dec 07, 2016 Sirajudeen Samsudeen rated it it was amazing
Super book.
Pop Bop
Mar 22, 2014 Pop Bop rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Classic,

It has always seemed to me that Enid Blyton's Famous Five books were aimed at a slightly younger age group than her eight Adventure series books. The mysteries were simpler, the characters were less developed, and the action/adventure was less involved. Paul Moxham's books are unapologetically modeled on the Blyton style and seem to fall right between those two Blyton series, (although maybe closer to the older reader Adventure series). And that's all to the good.

We have recurring charac
Goodreads Authors...: The Mystery of Smugglers Cove - Free Today 6 48 Nov 11, 2012 07:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: Can New Version be shown first? 2 28 Jun 19, 2012 10:40PM
  • Zombie-Kids
  • The North Pole Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases, #1)
  • Jake & The Gingerbread Wars (The Gryphon Chronicles, #3.5)
  • A Horse Called September
  • Out of This World
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Tales of the Dim Knight
  • Voyage with the Vikings (Imagination Station, #1)
  • Fing
  • Escape From The Forbidden Planet
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • NO EXIT (Exciting chapter book for kids 8-12) (The Apple Grove Gang)
  • Dragon Town
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • Awakening (Chronicles of Benjamin Dragon, #1)
  • Mystery of the Egyptian Scroll (Zet Mystery Case #1)
  • Mark of the Dragon Queen
  • The Lucky Escape: An Imaginative Journey Through the Digestive System
Paul Moxham hails from Melbourne, Australia. He's best known for his children's mystery series which follows Joe, Amy, Sarah, and Will as they have adventures in 1950's Britain.

More about Paul Moxham...

Mystery (5 books)
  • The Mystery of Adventure Island (Mystery #2)
  • The Mystery of Hidden Valley (Mystery #3)
  • The Mystery of Claw Mountain (Mystery #4)
  • The Mystery of the Golden Dragons (The Mystery Series, Book 5)

“had ever seen them before. He sensed it was the calm before the storm, but that didn’t stop him. Will wasn’t coming back for a few days and he didn’t want to wait that long to have a look at the caves. Joe thought he would have time to explore one of the caves before heading back. He’d brought his torch at the last minute as he thought that, even though it was daylight, it might be a bit dark in” 1 likes
“siblings” 0 likes