My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1)

My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  79 reviews
NOTE FROM THE PUBLISHER: As with any Veronica Blade book, this is a ROMANCE NOVEL, meaning it's romance FIRST and everything else is secondary. Rated PG-13 for sexual situations and mild profanity.

Different species. Mortal enemies. It'll never work, but they'll die trying.

Autumn Rossi thought she was a normal teenager. Suddenly, she can outrun every critter in the forest,...more
Published January 28th 2013 by Crush Publishing, Inc (first published January 27th 2013)

Perfect Timing by Catherine AndersonThe Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadScarlet by Marissa MeyerAnything for You by Jessica Scott
Best books of February, 2013
9th out of 113 books — 527 voters
My Wolf's Bane by Veronica BladeSomething Witchy This Way Comes by Veronica BladeObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutTwilight by Stephenie MeyerA Bite's Tale by Veronica Blade
Favorite All Time Reads
1st out of 179 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol [Goodreads addict]
As it says in the synopsis, My Wolf's Bane is a romance first, paranormal second. And that's exactly what I found. This was my first werewolf book and I really enjoyed it. Autumn has never been allowed to remain in one place for very long. Her parents move often and she has been home schooled, but now, she is a senior and is finally able to attend public school, and she wants to stay and graduate. But, things are not going as she would have expected. She is experiencing some very strange changes...more
Veronica Blade
Jan 12, 2013 Veronica Blade rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Teens and up
Since I wrote it, I'd say it rocks!

But readers beware, as the publisher says in the blurb, it's the romance that drives the story. Everything else is secondary.

PS Zack is hot :-P
Suzanne
Fantastic read.

It's not often that I turn down, or fail to enjoy, a werewolf story. There's just something about this hot, sexy beast, that I'm drawn too. And Zack was no exception.

Autumn walks out of the room and promptly bumps into a strange, extremely hot guy, only to have her boyfriend Daniel arrive on the scene, act like an arrogant jackass, telling him to keep his hands off his girlfriend, and leaving the new guy, Zack, with the opinion that Autumn is equally as obnoxious.

Autumn is appa...more
April
Un-freakin-believable!! That is the first word that pops in my mind to sum up My Wolf's Bane by Veronica Blade. I will be honest, I absolutely loved her debut novel Something Witchy This Way Comes and have been dying for the follow-up to that one. Well, My Wolf's Bane - a completely new series - has completely blown that one out of the wooded forest. This is truly one of the best YA Paranormal novels that I have ever read, and I have read several.

What makes My Wolf's Bane stand out to others tha...more
Megan
As expected, Veronica blade makes one mean novel!

When Zack moves to his aunt's house, he is the new kid at school. Its a hard process to go through for anyone. But, much to Autumn's annoyance, Zack instantly pins her down as a complete snob. Which, in her opinion, is so far off from the truth she could scream.

Autumn has her own problems to deal with, though. With her parents constantly breathing down her neck, she has no time to show them how responsible they have made her. They can't even lea...more
Susan Hatler
Autumn Rossi just wants a normal life, but her parents keep moving from town to town, so she never gets the chance to settle in. When Autumn arrives at The Verdugo Hills Academy, she's immediately taken in by the popular crowd. Her new boyfriend is the hottest guy in school and popular Gina welcomes her into her group giving her invitations to all the greatest parties. Finally, she feels like she belongs somewhere.

Soon, Autumn gets tired of Gina's bad attitude toward anyone else Autumn becomes f...more
Julie Witt
Whenever Veronica Blade comes out with a new book, I'm one of the first ones to start bugging her to let me read it, and since she's such an angel, she usually does! The reason I do this is because I have honestly loved everything she's written so far, but I will go so far as to say this is her best book yet!

Autumn is almost 18 years old, and has been to more schools than she can count. For some strange reason, whenever someone starts asking her parents seemingly innocent questions about the fa...more
♥ Sarah
I was ITCHING to read a mind-blowing, well-developed were story. And I thought this book might help scratch that annoying little itch. Much to my dismay, I was left completely unsatisfied by the end of this book.

It's not that the story was bad (because it wasn't), but it's that the story just wasn't GOOD. That probably made NO sense whatsoever, but let me explain.

This book was completely forgettable in every way. There was nothing unique or special or charming about the characters, dialogue, plo...more
Tifferz

I have to say I have LOVED each and every book by Ms. Blade so my expectations are high with her work. My Wolf's Bane did not disappoint. It was off the charts awesome. I find I am thinking of this story days later and smiling. I like that Zac and Autumn don't get off to a great start and actually don't like each other. Zac assumes Autumn is a snob. Zac is a hottie and turns out to be a keeper. But will Autumn be able to keep him? Will she be able to loose her insane/crazy ex boyfriend? I was la...more
Justin
My Wolf’s Bane is one of the better books that I’ve read in a while. It was refreshing to have a book that was so much fun to read, and that was extremely well written. I’ve not read any books by Veronica so I really didn’t know what her style was like. But I had seen a few reviews of this books saying how great it was, so I was excited to get the chance to read it. And I was quickly able to see where all of the appeal came from.

The story itself isn’t completely unique. It involves quite a few...more
iamjenai
My Wolf's Bane is the first book in the Shapes of Autumn series.

When I received the request to review the book, I wasn't that interested. Oh well, because there's this note from the publisher :

it's romance FIRST and everything else is secondary. . . .

After Twilight, I can no longer appreciate the same storyline. If it's Bella and Edward in disguise, I'd certainly stop reading. The first 2-3 chapters it is definitely Twilight-y. There were a couple of Edward's and Bella's cheesy lines and OMG, e...more
Charlotte  Black
It's been a long while since I've read a Werewolf story. You remember when these supernatural creatures became all the rage, along with vampires and suddenly everyone and their dogs were writing about them. All the story-lines drifted along becoming very samey. The thrill of the story got lost and I refused to read any more.

So when Courtney from Crush Publishing contacted me, I admit, I was hesitant. The thing that really pulled me in was the first few lines of the Goodreads synopsis:

NOTE FROM...more
Emily♥
Veronica Blade never fails to make me wish that one of her books is what my high school experience would have been like. (All the paranormal/supernatural stuff would have just been a bonus). Full of temptation, inspiration, and family, My Wolf’s Bane did not disappoint.

I read this book in a day. Up late at night, clinging to my Kindle until my eyes started to blur, and I finally had to give up on Autumn and Zack’s sexual tension/supernatural occurrences. Then I woke up and instantly began readin...more
Courtney Hill
So I'm 1/3 through right now and the fact that I'm even taking the time away from it to write this is very impressive! I'm freaking loving it!!!!

The characters totally draw you into their world and so far it hasn't been slow or boring for a minute (which I love because if a book doesn't get into the action pretty quickly I have a hard time making myself continue reading until I get to the meat of it.)

I'm mid reading Hunger games too and I've chosen starting and finishing this first hands down!...more
Emily Mcnew
I stayed up well after midnight last night just to finish this book. This is another home-run for Veronica Blade! I loved Autumn and Zack and the push and pull of their relationship. I have my theories about different things going on in this story regarding Autumn's parents, Zack's father, and the legends of the werewolves and shape shifters and I can't wait for the next book to see if I am right. Daniel made a great villain and I am sure we haven't seen the last of him. Trevor and Maya were ado...more
Juli Hubbard
AWESOME BOOK! Had me reading into the wee hours of the morning to finish this one! I loved how the relationship developed between the two main characters and their chemistry and connection made you not want to put it down! I found that the story was intriguing and left you with just the right amount of unanswered questions to make you want to read the next in the series without leaving you hanging with a feeling of being unsatisfied. (It had a VERY satisfying ending!) YUM! This was a great story...more
Natasha
Apr 12, 2013 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys YA fantasy
You know that feeling of disappointment when you’ve finished reading a really exceptional book? That’s what happened to me with My Wolf’s Bane. I read this book in about 2 1/2 days, and that says a lot since I am a slow reader and usually read 2-3 books simultaneously. Within the YA paranormal romance genre, this book excels. For me (and for many other Goodreads reviewers) it’s one of the best, and I’ll tell you why.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://betweenthebinding.com/2013/04/...
Katelyn Kane
Loved loved loved this sexy, sweet and complex paranormal romance!! It was recommended to me and I am so glad I read it! Although now I'm craving more and don't know if I can stand waiting for the next one. :) I loved how their relationship evolved and the interesting paranormal twists it takes. It's definitely more about their relationship but the paranormal element was very interesting as well and will leave you with questions that you have to read the next book to find out. Which is why I nee...more
Louise Jago
I received a copy of My Wolfs Bane from NetGalley; in return for an honest review.

Honest I shall be! Wow what an awesome book, I loved this story, I have to say I was so keen to read this I could not put it down and read it as quickly as I could.

This installment is the first in a series or sequel? It's a Supernatural Romance, I like both so it suited me down to the ground. The story follows Autumn Rossi, a regular every day teenager whose world is suddenly turned upside down by strange new abil...more
Bobbie
It should be a big red flashing warning light when a book comes with a warning "This is a romance book, everything else is secondary". It's like saying 'this book is one-dimensional and vacuous'. Okay, so genres are helpful when classifying books, but for a story to be so narrow that the publishers have to shout about it, doesn't seem like a good start.

I would say this is a book for Twilight fans. It has that kind of feel to it. And I don't mean that as a negative. I'm rather partial to the Twil...more
Maddy

My Wolf's Bane is the first book in the Shapes Of Autumn Series. Teens, high school drama and romance. What more could you want? Werewolves, of course. From the first, this book makes no effort to be anything other than a Twilight cousin, and as such does seem a little unoriginal. However, there are some unexpected turns, the romance is swoon-worthy and there is promise for the following books. The beginning was slow, I found, and the main character and narrator, Autumn, originally came across a...more
Heather andrews
I loved the balls Zack had, he didn't follow anyone's expectations, "let's ask Autumn what she wants." Zack shifted to me. "Are you enjoying this interaction with Daniel?" I also loved the weirdness that came with Zack, "he took a bite of the bread, then returned it to the small plate. Inhaling slowly, he lifted his chin and sniffed the air. He repeated the act two more times. I struggled to keep my voice level. "You're smelling me again, Zack." He's one of those guys that will let the girl down...more
Kristen
GENRE: Young Adult
THEME: Werewolves, Shifters, and Romance
RECEIVED: Publisher
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Once again I’m sucked back into the world of werewolves, there are so many authors who creatively take on the werewolf genre. Veronica Blade does a fantastic job adding a slightly different twist with my favorite addition romance.

My Wolf’s Bane follows Autumn who has moved around a lot since she can remember. Now in her new town she is happy to be settling in with new friends...more
Paula Mccue
loved it!! the author kept me engaged the whole time. I loved the characters and the story line kept me gripped and about exploding with theories lol im sure i know who Autumn's parents are but im gonna have to wait till the next one :(, im gonna have to look at more from this author as seriously i could not fault this story. It had it all, shifters, werewolves, overprotective men, gorgeous men , a spunky female lead and a great story that makes you want more. As i said loved it!!
Ashley
Oh. My. Goodness!!! Why do I have to wait until the SUMMER to read more!!!! I can't get enough of Zack and Autumn! I wish I could jump into the pages and never leave. I would beat the crap out of Daniel, then I would slap some sense into Gina before she does something stupid... Well, MORE stupid. I'll be the behind-the-scenes girl that makes everything happen perfectly for Autumn and Zack. Ugh! I don't know how I will survive the next few months D:
Coriander Warren
Jun 05, 2013 Coriander Warren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adult/adult
Recommended to Coriander by: goodreads win
Such a great book! I am totally going to have to find the next one in the series. This was an amazing read of a coming of "age" story of a shifter that falls in love with a werewolf. AWESOME. Leaves you totally hanging and wanting more more more! Caught me from page one and carried me breathlessly to the end. Can't wait to continue reading the series (when I find them!)

This book was won from Goodreads First Reads giveaway
Ellen Powell
This was my favorite book by far this year! Loved it! The characters and their relationships were real and believable. And the story line wasn't predictable, like most books. I found myself not knowing what was going to happen to them or where the story was going to go, which was very refreshing. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to read the next one! This is definitely a series you'll get hooked on!
Julie
A friend recently recommended this book and I finished it in a weekend! I loved the chemistry between the main characters and how their relationship didn't start out the same as every other book. Liked the paranormal aspect of the book a lot and am really looking forward to finding out what happens with these two in the next one. I don't know how it'll work out but I'm really rooting for them!
Nichole
I won this book on a Goodreads Giveaway and I have got to say that it was an excellent read. I really loved it, I cannot wait for the next one. Sometimes Autumn and Zach would drive me crazy, I just wanted them to get along! I would suggest this to anyone who adores paranormal romances and YA novels. It was a cute story although I did wish the action parts were more detailed.
Anjuli Cain
AWESOME!! LOVED THIS BOOK! SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT ONE TO COME OUT! I LOVED THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN THE CHARACTERS AND HOW IT TAKES ITS TIME TO DEVELOP. I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN THEM AND HOW IT WILL ALL WORK OUT. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE SERIES THAT YOU TOTALLY GET ADDICTED TO AND I'M AN ADDICT!! NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW!!!
Autumn's parents (SPOILERS) 13 15 Jun 01, 2013 01:56PM
Zack and Autumn 6 12 May 06, 2013 11:29AM
Is it February yet? 6 9 Jan 15, 2013 07:26PM
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • The Mating Chase (Werewolves of Montana, #1)
  • Cherished (Mystic Wolves #1B)
  • Tainted Blood (The Brookehaven Vampires, #3)
  • Red Rose Moon (Seasons of the Moon: Cain Chronicles, #4)
  • Blood Bond (Dirty Blood, #3)
  • Elemental Shining (Paranormal Public #3)
  • I Kissed a Dog (Werewolves of the West, #1)
  • Outsider (Outsider, #1)
  • 99 Days of Laney MacGuire
  • Fledgling (The Shapeshifter Chronicles, #1)
  • The Keeper's Curse (The Keeper's Curse, #1)
  • Falling Ashes (The Fire Mage Trilogy, #3)
  • Caedmon Wolves: Volume I  (Caedmon Wolves, #1-3)
  • Lightning Rider
  • Relentless (Relentless, #1)
  • Hyena Moon (Moon, #3)
  • Rules of Survival
Brain candy. Cleansing your reading palate one book at a time.

Veronica Blade lives in Southern California with her husband and children. By day she runs the family business, but each night she slips away to spin her tales. She writes stories about young adults to relive her own childhood and to live vicariously through her characters. Except her heroes and heroines lead far more interesting lives...more
More about Veronica Blade...
Something Witchy This Way Comes (Something Witchy, #1) From Fame to Shame A Bite's Tale (A Furry Fable) Blind Date, Checkmate Single-Handed (Single Girls, #1)