Seer (Eyes Wide Open, #4)

Seer (Eyes Wide Open #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  785 ratings  ·  79 reviews
SEER (Eyes Wide Open, Book 4) is the stunning conclusion to the four-episode digital series from New York Times bestselling author Ted Dekker.

Who am I?

My name is Christy Snow. I'm seventeen and I'm about to die.

I'm buried in a coffin under tons of concrete. No one knows where I am. My heart sounds like a monster with clobber feet, running straight toward me. I'm lying on...more
Published January 9th 2013 by Outlaw Studios (first published January 8th 2013)

Meike
I once read about a promise a storyteller is making to his audience when he starts telling his story: About certain cornerstones of what his story is going to be, how it is going to be, what it is going to be about.
For the most part, I dismissed that notion. Promise, rubbish.
Well, it is not rubbish, it is essential, and this book taught me how essential it really is, as I feel seriously betrayed by Ted Dekker as a storyteller.

I never have read anything from him, and the "Eyes Wide Open" series c...more
Steven
As the final of four parts of the book Eyes Wide Open, this review will cover the story as a whole.

Intriguing characters? Check. Wild fantastical tale? Check. Vivid setting/environment? Check.

In typical Dekker fashion, this tale was woven into a much bigger story -- and the connections you'll make by the end are thrilling and exciting connections that tie back into the larger Dekker mythology.

Can't wait to see how the continuation of this "new" saga unfolds. :)
Andrea
Jan 16, 2013 Andrea rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Book 1: the storyline was decent. I was excited to see where it was headed.
Book 2: WHERE is this going? It's a nail biter.
Book 3: OMG this is dragging on forever, just tell us already.
Book 4: are you serious. THAT is what it's about? Possibly the most non committal ending ever. I feel so duped. Like its going to be legandary, fantastic. But no wait, let's just make it some vague Biblical ending and not really give any kind of reason for anything.
Dusty Craine
Overall, I enjoyed the Eyes Wide Open episodes. The series left me guessing most of the time which is fun but I expected a wild conclusion to book four and ultimately I was left wanting.

I spent the first three books feeling that our protagonists were in great danger and as episode four plays out and our characters encounter someone new, everything changes. All of a sudden the danger is absent and it never returns. Instead it's an all out sprint to the unsatisfying end.

In truth, SEER, felt safe....more
Sondra
**spoiler alert**

Perhaps I missed something in my following of Ted Dekker's publication notices, but while I anxiously had awaited the debut of this series, I did not realize that this conclusion to his four part "Eyes Wide Open" series would rather not conclude, but rather send his readers down a twisted turn back into a place I have missed: The Books of History Chronicles. The conclusion of the series was wonderful. Ted has created two very vibrant characters yet again in Christy and Austin, a...more
Matt Mancini
Really good, fast-paced read...if a little bizarre.

This final book brought the inevitable tie-in to Dekker's other works and also brought in a bit of allegory into the mix. By the time you get to the end of this one, you still feel a little unresolved on some points and I found myself kinda wondering, well...what was real and what wasn't. Which I think is the point. And I hope that some of those questions get answered in ensuing books as the final page of this one lets you know that this is the...more
Cheryl Olson
I'm just gonna post a few thoughts on this last "book" in the Eyes wide open series. I never cease to be amazed at the richness of allegory that Ted Dekker creates to show truth,the battle of good and evil and the love that God has for us. I really enjoyed this series of books. I can't wait for the next one. I would follow that Outlaw character anywhere!
Tiffany Lundin
I loved this book!!! Loved the allegory of Christ that sees us as beautiful no matter what we see, illusion or not. This really hit me in a personal way as I sometimes allow fears to become my reality, when its just letting my mind be overtaken by lies from satan. Great little series!
D.M. Kilgore
Classically Dekker. The satisfying conclusion to the four part tale. I found each installment to be a mind-warping, creepy, adrenaline rush. Truly good and thought provoking.
Jason
At first, the story, in Identity, began as just another strange psychological thriller, but here, in Seer, it turns out to not only be full of major twists and turns, but part of an extended universe of Ted's own handimaking. Now for the outlaws to take over.
Amber Dawson
This is a terrible book that clearly outlines the brain washing that is so prevalent amongst any religious group. Even the ones who claim, "It is not a religion but a lifestyle." I am appalled that this was even published. Austin's story is probably the most problematic as he is highly intelligent and is scrutinized until the end for being so. Only because he was unwilling to believe the ridiculous and false information that Christy fell for. The fact that we have these polar opposites, one who...more
Kelli
I found book four to be a confusing mess. I was not satisfied at all and have no clear understanding what Christy and Austin's experience in the mental hospital has to do with figuring out their past. Disappointed and moving on to read "Unbroken".
Phil Perry
I am almost at a loss for words! I just finished book four of the Eyes Wide Open series and I would have to say I am in a bit of a shock.

Seer, Book 4, was fairly action packed and a lot of questions answered. I can honestly say I did NOT expect the outcome of this book. I would highly recommend reading either the individual books are get the entire novel at once. You will be hooked and will want to read the entire thing.

I will not give too much away, but I will say this. In this book and in life...more
Lou
Reseña en español

That ending... I feel so sorry for Austin.
Erin Al-Mehairi
Immediately following: "I found this book...done in four parts with this being the last part...to be a wild ride of mental disturbance that was so suspenseful and made me really think. I loved this last part....what an amazing message of hope for life. Christian or not I think everyone can open their minds to this. Looks like there will be an even bigger story coming. A more in-depth review to come."

I gave Seer 5 stars and the rest 4 stars because this last installment was the very best.

Review...more
Denisse
:O:O:O OOOOOOOOOH, so that's why his next book is called Outlaw! So great I read this stories then.
Dekker never fails....just that.
Great thriller mix with a fantasticaly well written philosophical plot. Start seeing yourself with eyes wide open!

Otherwise, she thought, where do the corrections end? What is good enough? Can perfect be measured by a scale or a law of better or worse?

Esta serie de libros cortos te enseñan a verte tal y como eres frente al espejo y sonreír, a dejar de perder el tiem...more
Joe Hempel
Eager Reader
Full review is available here.

When this, no, wait, these books came out, they were done in four parts. One quarter of the book was released each week until you finally had the entire book. I found Identity, the first part of the story, on Amazon for free (kindle edition). In fact, you'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure I saw it there last night, still for free.

This isn't my normal reading material and I had never read anything from Ted Dekker before, but...more
Wendi Ballew
The book(s) started off promising, they kind of reminded me of "Skin". The "is this real?" part. But it REALLY fell apart in book 4. Just awful. So many loose ends. The two main characters pasts, what actually happens throughout the story, just so... ambiguous. I don't know what happened between books 3 and 4 but I had to force myself to finish reading the last bit, which is sad because I normally enjoy Ted Dekker's books. But the wheels just fell off this one. Blegh.
Tasha
Finally reached the end only to realized that I didn't really think they were illusions. Well what do you know it really is all in your mind. Amazing how the devil has us all fooled into believing that what we see is real and what we know about our truth is real. But did you know if you just stop and ask "Who am I?" You had the answer the entire time and I am who I am and that is loved. Ted definitely hits the nail on the head at the end of this series. LOVED IT!!!
Angela Bycroft
Well we made it to the end of this rollercoaster of a series and was it worth the ride? Oh yes and a little no.

The final installment has the same thundering suspense and physical horror that we've come to know in the first three installments, and somehow manages to be even more mind bending if that's possible.

We subtly shift from straight horror to a more aligory in it's take. Reality and fantasy collide and it's all we can do to hold on to our own.

This is one of those tales to really makes you...more
Melanie
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2F9IAN5...
Review on my blog (to be posted 2/17): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Seer was a really good read! I was a little disappointed with/didn't like a few things that happened in the book, but it was still a great read. The ending was not what I was expecting and I liked being kept on my toes. It was also nice how Ted Dekker tied this book's story to some of his other books - I love how he does that! Makes me want to go back and rerea...more
Lori Wilson
I quickly read through all four parts of this book soon to be released as one book. it was awesome! Two young adults accidentally stumble into a hospital ward for mental patients...but they can't get out. The staff seems to think they are two inpatients that recentally escaped and that they're dilusional. the doctors use some forms of treatment that are pretty barbaric, and the minds of our two friends begin to slip. Until, one day, something wonderful happens, and you begin to understand what's...more
Kolleen
How annoying! What I thought was the end of a mini-series actually turns into being a prequel to a much larger series, and I for one, will not be reading.

What the hell just happened here?!? All of this was a figment of their imaginations? They were all trapped in their dark feelings, unable to see the beauty of the world? And a monastery?! Enough already. I get the point. This book was supposed to serve as a beacon of hope for all of those who feel lost or not good enough. That we are all perfec...more
Richard
Longtime fans of Ted Dekker will leap for joy after completing this book. If you enjoyed the twists of Thr3e and the turns of The Circle series and the Showdown saga, you will fall head over heels for the mind-altering aspects of Seer.

It's been written for so many reviews that it's become cartoonish but this is Ted Dekker in his element. When he can string you along at break-neck speed and offering just enough answers to keep you doubling back on your assumptions.

As best as you can, try not to f...more
Brenna
May 31, 2014 Brenna added it
Shelves: science-fiction
It was a confusing psychological thriller that was a little hard to follow and then finally in the third/fourth book you get to what this is all about. It was interesting, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone.
Nancy Cholewczynski pitts
Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine where this book was going to lead me. I was certainly and pleasantly surprised. Thank you Mr. Dekker for staying true to your writing style that always leaves us with personal reflection.
Carissa
Amazing

Amazing

I read the Eyes Wide Open series in two days. I cannot praise Dekker enough for his brilliant writing and the struggle to find God and accept his gift and his love.
Christina
oh my gosh! Every turn wondering what next, why that, what what??? Typical Ted Dekker all in all with his normal nail biting suspense that makes you question if you are reading too fast and missing.something.
Jennie
This is the final installment in the Eyes Wide Open Series. This one was a big let down from the other three books. First, the plot slows down considerably from the other three books. There is another character that's introduced in the book and I thought it was awkward the way he was brought in. It really upset the balance of the plot up to this point. I thought twice about finishing it but I couldn’t read the first three books and not finish the fourth. The ending was a little weak and was I de...more
For those who haven't read the Paradise or Circle books... 7 9 Apr 26, 2013 05:20PM
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Never Let You Go
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • The 13th Tribe
  • The King (Patrick Bowers Files, #6)
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Tested by Fire
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • The Sacrifice
  • The Splitting Storm
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...
Thr3e White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)

“You cannot love anything or anyone more than you love yourself and you can't love yourself unless you see yourself whole. If you secretly disapprove of any part of yourself, you will secretly hate part of the One who made you. Can you understand that?” 3 likes
“You are not your mind. You are not your body. You are not even your beliefs-these are only of this world, mere flesh and blood and a few electrochemical reactions. You, my friend, are far greater than this. Be still and know, not with your mind, but with that which is beyond your mind. Are these words true to you?” 3 likes