Start by marking “Rayessa and the Space Pirates” as Want to Read:
Rayessa and the Space Pirates

Rayessa and the Space Pirates

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Rae Stroder lives in a hollow asteroid, a defunct refuelling station, with a brain-damaged adult, Gris, to keep her company. Low on supplies, they've been eking out an existence for years. Everything changes when Alwin Anton, ultra-clean, smart and handsome AllEarth Corp company auditor, arrives to find disarray. Full of suspicion, he interrogates Rae, thr...more
Published January 2013 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rayessa and the Space Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rayessa and the Space Pirates

Tsana Dolichva
Rayessa and the Space Pirates by Donna Maree Hanson is a fun YA space adventure novella. I've read a few of the author's many published short stories before, but this is her first longer work.

Sixteen-year-old Rae Stroder lives in a hollow asteroid, a defunct refuelling station, with a brain-damaged adult, Gris, to keep her company. Low on supplies, they’ve been eking out an existence for years. Everything changes when Alwin Anton, ultra-clean, smart and handsome AllEarth Corp company auditor, ar...more
Dave Versace
Rayessa and the Space Pirates is the debut novel from Canberra author Donna Maree Hanson. I’ll state right off the bat that I’m not at all the target audience for this piece – I don’t read a lot of Young Adult-oriented science fiction, and I’m even less well-versed in the romance field. So take my comments with whatever salt dosage you think appropriate.

RatSP is a fun romantic space adventure aimed (I presume) at young adult readers. Rae Stroder is a cheerful but somewhat hapless young teenager...more
Ingrid Jonach
I read this book during a particularly busy week and I found myself really looking forward to getting a few spare minutes to spend with Rayessa. She is such a likeable character, who has really drawn the short straw.

The start of the story sees her running an outpost in space after her father is kidnapped by pirates. There is no food bar hardtack and beans, and she is getting around in a space suit that is more space than suit (get it?).

The books sets a cracking pace, kicked off with the arriva...more
SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak
3 Stars

This started out strong- decently good- interesting. Then by the end it was a cheese train wreck of sorts. You knew it was going to happen and you did want it to tie up a bit- but it was clumsy. The title is fun- I wouldn't ever call this YA since the even though the main character is 16 she goes through some rather harrowing episodes I wouldn't want my own 16 year old or younger reading about. (since you know these days every 12 year old is reading "YA").

S.E. Gilchrist
This YA story was an enjoyable read. The heroine, Rayessa is believable as an immature, naive teenager who dreams of a 'vid' style life far from the deprivations of the station where she is marooned. I liked the twists regarding her parentage and trying not to give any spoilers, about why she was marooned on the station in the first place. Overall I liked this book and would definitely read more of Ms Hanson's stories.
Satima
A romp though space with a pair of adventurous teenagers. Ideal light romance for the 12+ age group. A version of the following review first appeared in the now defunct webzine, The Specusphere, in February 2013

With this charming novella for young adults, Canberran author Donna Maree Hanson takes her first step into longer-length publishing. She already has a good handful or two of short stories under her belt, and she won respect and acclaim from fandom with her Australian Speculative Fiction:...more
Tez
My first read from Harlequin Australia's digital-only (or digital-first) Escape Publishing, and it's seriously dodgy. This YA sci-fi starts off well, but becomes more and more cringe-worthy as the story progresses. The characters become more annoying. Many different story ideas, but not enough depth on any of them to truly connect. The whole story is rushed, and reads more like a middle-grade, mainly because the narrator needs to grow up. One would've thought she'd have grown up pretty fast on t...more
Liz
3.5 stars.

This isn't really my kind of book, as it's a bit younger in tone than what I usually read. The voice and protagonist seem quite young (appealing to say, 12-13 year olds, even though the protagonist is supposed to be 16), but the plot is certainly more suited to a slightly older age group, which doesn't quite sit well together.

Some fun scenes, but also a few that needed tweaking for an older audience (both in believability and proof reading). If you're a fan of the genre, give it a go,...more
Jenny Schwartz
Who else remembers James H Schmitz's teenage heroine, Telzey? She was my first introduction to the perfect fit of a female teen protagonist and SF adventure. There's something about their vulnerability, sense of exploring the world and sheer courage that appeals. So I was delighted when Rayessa appeared.

As with Schmitz's work, Donna Maree Hanson creates a SF world that stays with you after the story ends. It's vivid, the ethical challenges are compelling and the characters are real.

Rayessa's sto...more
Lily Mulholland
Rayessa and the Space Pirates is a fun, action-packed romp through space, with plenty of fantasy, sci-fi and a little romance thrown in for good measure. The story never takes itself too seriously and leaves you wanting a whole lot more. Suitable for teens and lovers of light-hearted and entertaining SF.
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Sean Meissner
Sean Meissner marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Raine
Raine marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Chali
Chali marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Joss
Joss marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Paintedwings
Paintedwings marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Samantha Smith
Samantha Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Sarah.d
Sarah.d marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Donna Maree Hanson is a Canberra-based author and a long time member of the Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild. She writes both short and long fiction in the fantasy, science fiction and horror genres.
More about Donna Maree Hanson...
Shatterwing (Dragon Wine, #1) Skywatcher (Dragon Wine, #2) Australian Speculative Fiction: A Genre Overview Dead Red Heart Scary Kisses