Start by marking “Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales, #1)

Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Emily Cole thought her life was just about as close to a fairytale as it could get. She was on track to graduate from college with honors, had a job lined up in her field, and was about to get engaged to the perfect guy. Then one day she woke up and something just felt . . . off. All of sudden, she started questioning the life she’d worked so hard to achieve, wondering if ...more
ebook, 3rd Edition (new cover), 271 pages
Published January 10th 2013 (first published June 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Fairytales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Fairytales

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
199th out of 1,141 books — 7,374 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberRule by Jay CrownoverHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
tattooed love boys
201st out of 972 books — 3,064 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
Nov 14, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken Fairytales was a refreshing and delightful 4 star read for me. The storyline was very realistic and while it started out a tad slow, it kept me hooked throughout. It is a brilliant story about soul searching and finding one's self.

Emily leads a 'perfect' life. Early on she dreamed of being a princess and living a fairytale life. So, she has worked hard to have everything to fulfill this dream, including the perfect boyfriend, Ben. Suddenly, Emily isn't so sure that this life that she has
Morgan
Aug 07, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Broken Fairytales, the first novel in a new series by Monica Alexander, is a REALISTIC, coming of age romance novel for mature young adults. It's a story about a girl who has a very predictable, comfortable life, until she she wakes up and decides that she doesn't want the seemingly perfect life she planned anymore. Broken Fairytales is a story about growing up, moving on, and finding yourself - all things young a
Kelli
Oct 03, 2012 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Crystal
Sep 08, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My feelings for Emily grew as she started to smoke. Don't know what that says about me or what message the author intended. Cool people smoke? Maybe. I also started craving clove cigarettes. Hhmm, who said reading is good for you. Anyway I really ended up liking Emily. She needed an attitude adjustment and she got one, even if it came with a side of future lung cancer :)

As for Zack, well he had me at Yellow Leadbetter. In my head, he was suddenly a young Eddie Vedder and I could definitely cope
Cristina
Hmmm, where do I start? There were a few moments in the book that I thought were good but then the storyline seemed to take a while to develop and I found myself skimming a few pages (go ahead and gasp, I won’t be offended). The beginning especially is slow to get going and it wasn’t until I was half-way done with the book that I wanted to see what would happen next.

Emily is one rigid gal and I simply couldn’t connect with her and I wanted to but couldn’t. I don’t always have to connect with the
Paula  Phillips
May 15, 2014 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
All her life Emily has had the perfect plan to follow, she was going to marry her prince - Ben and live in a nice house (castle) and have the perfect life. That is until she reached 21 and Summer hit before the big move to Internships and she realised that maybe her life wasn't perfect and that Ben wasn't the guy for her. Heading with her family away for the Summer maybe the best move for Emily so that she can re-evaluate her life and see if she can miss Ben over the summer break. Emily is abou ...more
Ivana
Jun 04, 2014 Ivana rated it it was amazing
I was dwelling if I should give this book a four or a five star review. I'd give it a four because at times it did seem a bit simple for me, but then I thought ... Sometimes the simplest things can still be pretty darn amazing ... And this book is just that :).

I think the character of Emily is very relatable to young girls, even us a bit older girls ;). We all sometimes wonder if there's something more out there, and if this is all we're going to get out of life. And unfortunately, most of us w
Duda Rocha
This book was recommended by Goodreads, and after reading so many reviews how good it was, I just felt like I had to read it, and it was such great book.

I just felt so connected with Emily, her whole story, not knowing what she wants to do with her life, full of insecurities and doubts, she just felt real. And that's what made me read this book in just a couple of hours, because once I started I just couldn't put it down.

Emily thinks she has everything planned for her life, but she starts ques
Stacey
Jan 18, 2013 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rockstars-bands
Every girl wants to be a princess.

Emily is the traditional good girl with the bad boy twin brother.
But suddenly on the eve of her las year of scholl she discovers there is more to life than being what everyone else wants you to be.

During a trip to the beach with her family Emily finally allows herself to be what she wants to be. Bonding with the brother she all but wrote off and her younger sister - Emily discovers herself and love with the guitar playing bad boy who doesn't date.

Zack is living
Emily
Nov 05, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
Recommended to Emily by: Amazon.com
This is a book that I almost passed up because the cover looks very YA. I kept getting it as an recommendation and finally read the blurb. This book was a start of a story that I didn't want to end and was so happy to see Buried Castles was after Broken Fairytales. Everyone at some point loses themselves and rediscovers themselves and the person they are suppose to be and some are lucky to find the person they're suppose to be with. But not everyone gets that journey to be smooth and HEA style. ...more
Linsey
Jul 22, 2012 Linsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Oh my.....
This was a wonderful and any other type of wonderful simile that you could use to describe this book! It was one of those reads that you HAVE to share with anyone who might be relatively interested in fiction. I really can't think of anything negative to say.... well maybe that the sequel isn't due until tbis fall! Really, I dont think I can wait that long. :'( Honestly, I think I'm probably in love with Zack. (I know it is a little sad; however, that is what an amazing author does.) I
Angela
Aug 31, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book pretty quickly this past week and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me a little bit to get into the book because I didn't exactly like the main character's personality and the relationships with her family at the beginning but it improved after that. It was a captivating book which made me feel what the characters were going through in their lives. If you're looking for some drama and of course some romance, this is a definite book to read.

Spoiler alert

When I r
Lisa
Aug 21, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. I really enjoyed this book and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I would have liked a "little more steam" with the love scenes. This book has a lot of sexual tension however just not enough details for me, but that said I really liked the book and I have already downloaded the second book, Buried Castles and will start on it tonight. I would consider it for mature young adults. I will certainly put this author on my watch list for future books.

Potential readers bewa
Morgan Lejeune
Oct 03, 2012 Morgan Lejeune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this first book. Emily is at a point in her life that I was going through at the time of reading this. I honestly believe I was meant to read this story at the time that I did. It helped me through some things.

As for the story so far in this first part, it is so well-written. The characters are in-depth and multidimensional, also completely believable situations and personalities. I know because I have a few of these people in my life and I am like Emily, except that I don't have a sexy-en
Holly
This was such an AMAZING story! It was hard not to love Zack immediately, and Emily was a great female lead! I also enjoyed the side characters; Chase and Rachel very much and would like to see a story on them!

(view spoiler)

I would def
Sharon
Jul 25, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything athis author wrote before but i will definitely add her to my favorites.
Broken fairytales really captured ma attention.
4/5 stars, i didn't give it 5 because the main caracter Emily,who's 21 years old,sometimes just bugged the hell out of me, and the word RIGID is really suitable.
Towards the end she turned out nicely , but JEEEESSSSUUSSSS talk about a CLIFFHANGER.
Can't wait for the sequel that come out this fall, dumbs up for Monica .-)
Renee Hood
Jul 31, 2012 Renee Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was going to be part of a series when I read it.
BUT...I can NOT wait for book #2. I can't believe the way this ended. I really enjoyed it.
It's about college kids which I like much better than reading about highschoolers. It's a nice, easy read and I love Zack! Hoping the author gets a move on for book #2. I need my fix!
Katie
Jul 06, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story by an amazing author!! It took me one day to read both Aftershocks and Broken Fairytales..I couldn't put my Kindle down! I absolutely love Zack, I wish he was a real person, he'd definitely be someone who would steal my heart like he did Emily's! Ugh I can't wait for Buried Castles!!
Jessica Allen
Oct 09, 2013 Jessica Allen rated it it was amazing
Emily and Zack are my favorite book couple and this us my favorite book you cab feel Zacks pain and how much Emily feels for him its sexy with out all the nasty scenes she show u can still have hot story lines with our getting into gross details love love this book buts fifty shades to shame
Tiffany
Jul 08, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Omg! I just couldn't put the book down! I loved this book! Emily and zack's story is so cute. I really liked the way Emily changed through the story and how she started to see people for who they really are and not just stereotyping them. I just loved this book!
Kyle LaForge
Aug 30, 2012 Kyle LaForge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for anyone who is looking for a fun romance novel that doesn't have a trace of vampires, werewolves or anything paranormal. I love the beach setting and all of the relationships Monica so flawlessly explores. I can't wait to read Buried Castles!
Ashlee
Jul 30, 2012 Ashlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic.. man i just loved Zack and liars Edge awesome always a sucker for a guitar player :] i need to see what happens to zack and Emily! Im DYING! Also Chase is adorable ( just saying ;p) im heartbroken for Emily :'/
Cheryl Camardese
Ilove Emily..she has all the insecurities we share. I felt like I spent a week at the beach in North Carolina. The next book can't come soon enough. So glad the story will continue.
Em
Jan 19, 2013 Em rated it really liked it
Super duper cute...don't know why more haven't read it.... Love the cute coffeehouse guy as much as the brother who should get his own story :)))
phurple0515
Oct 09, 2012 phurple0515 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess a lot would know how Emily and Zack felt for each other. My heart was also broken at the end can't wait for book 2.
Sarah Fitz
Jul 03, 2012 Sarah Fitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Such a great story. I can't wait for Buried Castles to come out. Hurry up Fall!!! :) Thanks for a great story!!
Cynthia
Jun 29, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Awesome story! But it does leave in a cliffhanger and the second book will be out soon! Can't wait!
Jill
Nov 03, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!! I never heard of it till I found it on here! I just started the sequel!! Cute, fun read :-)
Melissa
Jul 31, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-booos
One of my new favorite authors!!! September 16 cannot come fast enough! I need the sequel like yesterday!!
Kristin
Sep 06, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, very glad that the ssecond book is already out....it would not have been good having to wait:)
  • Time Out (Foolish Games, #2)
  • Vicious Circles (Wrong Reasons, #2)
  • Incidental Happenstance
  • Dream Catchers
  • Snapshot (The Jamieson Collection, #2)
  • Slow Twitch (Brenna Blixen, #3)
  • Come See About Me
  • Untouchable (Untouchable, #1)
  • Breaking Beautiful (Broken, #2)
  • Lennon's Jinx (Lennon's Girls, #1)
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
  • If I Can't Have You
  • A Terrible Love (A Terrible Love, #1)
  • Gateway To Heaven
  • Documentary (Documentary, #1)
  • Moving Neutral (Moving Neutral, #1)
  • Lengths (Silver Strand, #1)
  • Tell Me You Want Me (College Romance, #1)
I’m Monica Alexander, and I am a writer of contemporary, new adult, and young adult fiction. After getting two degrees and spending most of my adult life in the business world (where I still spend my days), I honestly never thought I’d turn my lifelong love of books into something more … until 2011 when I published my first novel, “Just Watch the Fireworks”, which was pretty much the most exciting ...more
More about Monica Alexander...

Broken Fairytales (3 books)
  • Buried Castles (Broken Fairytales, #2)
  • Shattered Crowns (Broken Fairytales, #3)

“When you have nothing left to lose. When there’s nothing left to gain. You find yourself at the edge of the world, wishing nothing would have changed,” I read and instantly got a twisted feeling in the pit of my stomach.
“All you can do is jump.”
28 likes