Start by marking “UNIX Power Tools” as Want to Read:
UNIX Power Tools

UNIX Power Tools

Ideal for UNIX users who hunger for technical -- yet accessible -- information, UNIX Power Tools, 2nd Edition, consists of tips, tricks, concepts, and freeware (CD-ROM included). It also covers add-on utilities and how to take advantage of clever features in the most popular UNIX utilities.

Loaded with even more practical advice about almost every aspect of UNIX, this editi
Paperback, 2nd edition, 1122 pages
Published August 9th 1997 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about UNIX Power Tools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UNIX Power Tools

Tim
Jan 06, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Tim by: I wrote it.
My favorite of all the technical books I've written. While Jerry Peek did yeoman work on this book, and he and Mike Loukides wrote more of it than I did, it was my conception from start to finish. I was trying to construct a book that would work like the world wide web, just then brand new, and I think I succeeded. It was also really fun to write.
Babak Farrokhi
Mar 15, 2010 Babak Farrokhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is always a new trick you can learn from this book once you open a random page. This is one of the books that I always keep around and even keep an ebook version on my ipod. One of the best Unix related books I've ever seen.
Jan 11, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody who uses a computer that is not running Windows
Recommended to John by: Amazon
If you work with UNIX, even as a casual user or linux enthusiast, you need this book. It's not a "useful reference" it's a devotional. Read a random page every day. I'm totally serious. This book is a godsend. Note that if you use Mac OS X, you are using UNIX, and should seriously think about owning this book.
Will
Jun 28, 2011 Will rated it liked it
It's okay. They all die at the end though.

Okay, kidding. I haven't cracked open this book for 10 years, but damn if I didn't need it at first.
Marshall
Feb 06, 2016 Marshall rated it really liked it
More than you ever wanted to know about Unix, multiplied by ten. This book is absolutely stuffed from beginning to end with every sordid detail of Unix, from both a system administrator as well as a user perspective. Seriously, there is nothing this book doesn't cover in great detail. It's like 1,000 pages long. You'd have to be out of your mind to read the entire thing. It's great for reference and poking around, learning bits here and there. Everything is cross-referenced, and broken into smal ...more
Jon
Nov 29, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
This one kept me company during my cancer treatment. While radioactive I had to read something disposable - not supposed to keep radioactive books - and I'd found this one being thrown out at work. It talked about all that command line stuff I know and love, but was more than a little out of date. I figured I could read the relevant bits, skip the rest, and then toss the book.

I'm actually sad to do so now.

Making one last pass through the pages I've marked to copy out the interesting stuff, then
Ryan.m
Jul 24, 2013 Ryan.m rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing
A fantastic reference and learning bible of epic proportions. I love the way that relevant material that may be mentioned within a particular article is italicized and given a reference number, so you can look it up.

E.g. you may be looking at a section about printers and a technology may be referenced, all you have to do if you want to learn more is look at the reference number and check out the page to get more in depth knowledge of said technology.

I would advise you to buy this if you are inte
Gunnar Evermann
Jul 03, 2009 Gunnar Evermann rated it really liked it
This is the book that introduced me to Unix. In the mid nineties I got an RA job at uni and my supervisor just gave me this book and told me to figure it out. Everything I know about bash/awk/sed I learned from this book.
DCC
Mar 21, 2009 DCC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
practical, useful. i keep coming back to it. it's a serious general reference tool for anything unix related. it's a great introduction to a serious beginner. worth every penny, especially if purchased used ;) be sure to get the latest edition as it computing technology changes rapidly.
Zohair
Apr 17, 2008 Zohair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Must have if you're looking to use a Unix based system. Includes tutorials, tips, and cookbook style tidbits to get you through some difficult task on the Unix command line. Should be on every serious *Nixers reference shelf.
scott
Jan 23, 2008 scott rated it it was amazing
In 1995, my first job out of school was doing UNIX system administration. The O'Reilly SA book was my main reference, but this one became my secret weapon. Learning about sed, awk, regexp, etc. showed me the path to the career i quickly realized i wanted: software development.
Eugene Mah
Oct 13, 2011 Eugene Mah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: *nix users
Shelves: computers, unix, sysadmin
A fantastic collection of useful tips, tricks and techniques for users of any flavour of *nix
TK Keanini
Apr 10, 2007 TK Keanini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful bag of tricks.
Brett Taylor
Nov 26, 2016 Brett Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of stuff. I skimmed this, really, just so I'd know what was in there. Lots of good sections for me to read when I need it!
Arvydas Sidorenko
Oct 15, 2014 Arvydas Sidorenko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-lang
This is not something you can read from cover to cover, but rather use as a reference. A very complete reference.
Allyn
Aug 26, 2013 Allyn rated it it was amazing
The Old Testament of Unix administration. This is what lands on the desk of anyone asking me for help with their command line fu.
Miroslav Vidović
Little outdated but still a great reference.
Mike
Apr 29, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-computer
Fantastic reference; tons of info on Unix tools
May 22, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-have-books
a great collection of examples... YMMV with specific flavors... not all of the examples work in all the flavors...
Takedown
Jan 23, 2011 Takedown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unix
Great book with console tips. Must read!
Bob Hancock
Jun 15, 2010 Bob Hancock rated it liked it
Great reference and learning tool.
Javier
Dec 27, 2010 Javier rated it really liked it
I think this was my first book on unix, while at college. Its good, I guess you can do it all with the man pages tho...
Criz
Apr 02, 2008 Criz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: UNIX power users
By far the best idea/example book for UNIX scripting. Can be hard to find, but well worth the purchase.
Todd
Dec 19, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-tools
Used this guide as help desk back 1990's. still find it useful at times.

That's no google.
-TAJ
Jose
Feb 02, 2013 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Great reference book for command line and batch scripting hacking.
Dec 26, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook unix book. Great index helps readers find helpful examples.

IMO the best computer reference book I've seen.
Bill West
Bill West rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Mm
Mm rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Mark J Eaton
Mark J Eaton rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Ben Cook
Ben Cook rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
  • The UNIX Programming Environment
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Essential System Administration
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Practical UNIX & Internet Security
  • Linux Server Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips and Tools
  • The Design of the UNIX Operating System
  • UNIX Shell Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »