UNIX Power Tools

UNIX Power Tools

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ideal for UNIX users who hunger for technical -- yet accessible -- information, UNIX Power Tools, 2nd Edition, consists of tips, tricks, concepts, and freeware (CD-ROM included). It also covers add-on utilities and how to take advantage of clever features in the most popular UNIX utilities.

Loaded with even more practical advice about almost every aspect of UNIX, this editi...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 1122 pages
Published August 9th 1997 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about UNIX Power Tools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UNIX Power Tools

Tim
Jan 06, 2008 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Tim by: I wrote it.
My favorite of all the technical books I've written. While Jerry Peek did yeoman work on this book, and he and Mike Loukides wrote more of it than I did, it was my conception from start to finish. I was trying to construct a book that would work like the world wide web, just then brand new, and I think I succeeded. It was also really fun to write.
Babak Farrokhi
There is always a new trick you can learn from this book once you open a random page. This is one of the books that I always keep around and even keep an ebook version on my ipod. One of the best Unix related books I've ever seen.
Will
It's okay. They all die at the end though.

Okay, kidding. I haven't cracked open this book for 10 years, but damn if I didn't need it at first.
Jon
This one kept me company during my cancer treatment. While radioactive I had to read something disposable - not supposed to keep radioactive books - and I'd found this one being thrown out at work. It talked about all that command line stuff I know and love, but was more than a little out of date. I figured I could read the relevant bits, skip the rest, and then toss the book.

I'm actually sad to do so now.

Making one last pass through the pages I've marked to copy out the interesting stuff, then...more
Ryan.m
A fantastic reference and learning bible of epic proportions. I love the way that relevant material that may be mentioned within a particular article is italicized and given a reference number, so you can look it up.

E.g. you may be looking at a section about printers and a technology may be referenced, all you have to do if you want to learn more is look at the reference number and check out the page to get more in depth knowledge of said technology.

I would advise you to buy this if you are inte...more
John
Jan 11, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who uses a computer that is not running Windows
Recommended to John by: Amazon
If you work with UNIX, even as a casual user or linux enthusiast, you need this book. It's not a "useful reference" it's a devotional. Read a random page every day. I'm totally serious. This book is a godsend. Note that if you use Mac OS X, you are using UNIX, and should seriously think about owning this book.
dc
practical, useful. i keep coming back to it. it's a serious general reference tool for anything unix related. it's a great introduction to a serious beginner. worth every penny, especially if purchased used ;) be sure to get the latest edition as it computing technology changes rapidly.
scott
In 1995, my first job out of school was doing UNIX system administration. The O'Reilly SA book was my main reference, but this one became my secret weapon. Learning about sed, awk, regexp, etc. showed me the path to the career i quickly realized i wanted: software development.
Gunnar Evermann
This is the book that introduced me to Unix. In the mid nineties I got an RA job at uni and my supervisor just gave me this book and told me to figure it out. Everything I know about bash/awk/sed I learned from this book.
Zohair
Must have if you're looking to use a Unix based system. Includes tutorials, tips, and cookbook style tidbits to get you through some difficult task on the Unix command line. Should be on every serious *Nixers reference shelf.
John Hawklyn
Great cookbook unix book. Great index helps readers find helpful examples.

IMO the best computer reference book I've seen.
Allyn
The Old Testament of Unix administration. This is what lands on the desk of anyone asking me for help with their command line fu.
Javier
I think this was my first book on unix, while at college. Its good, I guess you can do it all with the man pages tho...
John
a great collection of examples... YMMV with specific flavors... not all of the examples work in all the flavors...
Todd
Used this guide as help desk back 1990's. still find it useful at times.

That's no google.
-TAJ
Criz
Apr 02, 2008 Criz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: UNIX power users
By far the best idea/example book for UNIX scripting. Can be hard to find, but well worth the purchase.
Eugene Mah
Oct 13, 2011 Eugene Mah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: *nix users
Shelves: computers, unix, sysadmin
A fantastic collection of useful tips, tricks and techniques for users of any flavour of *nix
Jose
Great reference book for command line and batch scripting hacking.
Takedown
Great book with console tips. Must read!
Mike
Fantastic reference; tons of info on Unix tools
Bob Hancock
Great reference and learning tool.
Steve
Very useful
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Alexander Voronov
Alexander Voronov marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Ahmet Fuat
Ahmet Fuat marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
  • The Art of Unix Programming
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • Learning the bash Shell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Learning the UNIX Operating System UNIX POWER TOOLS (Nutshell handbooks) Learning Unix for Mac OS X Student Workbook: Learning the Unix Operating Learning the Unix Operating System: A Concise Guide for the New User