Start by marking “My Year as a Clown” as Want to Read:
My Year as a Clown

My Year as a Clown

Silver Medal Winner for Popular Fiction from the Independent Publisher Book Awards.

With My Year as a Clown, Williams introduces us to Chuck Morgan, a new kind of male hero—imperfect and uncertain—fumbling his way forward in the aftermath of the abrupt collapse his 20-year marriage.

Initially, Chuck worries he’ll never have a relationship again, that he could stand in the lo
Published December 26th 2012 by Against the Grain Press

To ask other readers questions about My Year as a Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Year as a Clown

Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Just made it to 3 stars for me.

Did I enjoy this book: This is a tough one. I would say, yes, I did enjoy it to an extent. It had some flaws but it was interesting to read a chick lit-type book from the man’s perspective. You could call My Year As a Clown dude lit.

Let’s discuss the good first. It was interesting to read the man’s perspective. Chuck is a man, almost a cliche man. He constantly talks about football, smoking pot, and beating off. He is a die-hard Eagles fan; he believes his actions
Teddy
Apr 16, 2013 Teddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
At first glimpse, some readers may mistake My Year As a Clown as a book that would appeal to men only. Let me reassure you, that is far from true! Sure, there is some football in it but as a symbol of loyalty and commitment.

Chuck Morgan is devastated when his wife leaves him for another man. Like many women or men often do when a long term relationship ends he digs himself in a rut. He is emotionally spent and doesn't know how to deal with the situation or his loss.
Friend and relatives who mean
Carole Rae
Jun 22, 2013 Carole Rae rated it really liked it
Like earlier stated, I was given this to read for my honest and unbiased opinion.

I was initially drawn to this book by the title and the cover. Such an interesting title. The cover is plain, but it really matches the story and the main character, Chuck. It fits. Chuck is an interesting character, but in the end he is just the guy next door. An average Joe of sorts. I really enjoyed reading the book in the guys view. There are a scarce amount of books following the man's POV after a divorce or br
Teena in Toronto
Sep 14, 2013 Teena in Toronto rated it really liked it
Chuck is a writer in his forties and has been married to Claudia for almost 20 years. Claudia has been out of town for three months on an archeological dig. As he is driving her home from the airport, she tells him that she has met someone else and is leaving him. Chuck is devastated. What follows are details of the next 365 days as he tries to figure out how to be single and live on his own with his two cats.

We get to know his friends, the dates he goes on, his family (brother, mother and stepf
Rebecca Graf
Jun 29, 2013 Rebecca Graf rated it liked it
Chuck finds himself hit with the fact his wife has found someone else and is leaving him. After twenty years of marriage, Chuck is left confused and stumbling about to get his life in order. The reader follows Chuck through a year of recovery and getting back on his feet.

This was a unique book that was an interesting read. I have to admit that. Not many emotional books come from the man's point of view. What I mean by emotional is not that he is crying on every page but that he is exploring hims
eva
Jan 31, 2013 eva rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Chuck Morgan is a suddenly single, and trying to figure out his life after his wife decides to move on from their marriage. He encounters wacky situations and wacky characters. You feel bad for him at times, and at other you just wanna smack him in the head so he gets a grip but always find yourself wanting to keep reading and see where Chuck ends up.

I really liked this book, different to what I read and expected from the title and super enjoyable.
I really enjoyed the ending, and that is huge fo
Rich Fahle
Jan 10, 2013 Rich Fahle rated it it was amazing
My Year as a Clown is an honest book, sometimes painful, often very funny, and ultimately hopeful. Chuck Morgan is an unusual hero, blindly fumbling down an uncertain post-divorce path while he slowly comes to terms with his suddenly single life. The characters that pop up throughout the book feel just weird and offbeat enough to be real (I'm talking about you, Simon, the pot-smoking rabbi). By the end of the story, and the year, we've been on a great, personal ride with Chuck, in a way that loo ...more
Erica
May 24, 2013 Erica rated it it was ok
Chuck is going through a divorce after 20 years of being married. He is in his forties and now is back in the dating scene. The book was okay. I enjoyed it in the beginning. You go through all the emotions with Chuck. Sometimes you want to hug him because the situation is so sad and then their are times you want to slap him and are screaming , "what where you thinking?". But towards the middle I grew tired of it and rushed to reach the end of the divorce. I did enjoy the ending and was happy for ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's engaging, funny and at times, sad. I know the author says it's not about his divorce but he seems to be writing from the heart and his experiences rang true. Not being a football fan, I could have done without the parts about the Eagles, although I know they were, in part a metaphor for Chuck's life.

Gabi Coatsworth
Feb 23, 2013 Gabi Coatsworth rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, humor
Something like Bridget Jones if it had been written by Nick Hornby, so I guess you could call it dick-lit. The story of a man surviving the transition from married to unmarried makes for a read that's eye-opening at times, funny and fascinating for a woman to read.
Melissa
To be honest, right now I'm not quite sure how to feel about this book. There were things that drew me in and the writing flowed well, but I have mixed feelings about the rest of the story. Full review to come later. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Cindy rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Lauren
Nov 24, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Decent quick read. few too many references and stories about the Eagles and NFL. Not bad overall.
Maggiekb
Maggiekb rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Adina
Adina rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Sep907
Sep907 rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2014
Jeff Strand
Jeff Strand rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Dani
Mar 12, 2015 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a bit slow, but by the end I actually liked it! Not bad at all.
Mike Ruble
Mike Ruble rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Nick Leden
Nick Leden rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Arlene
Arlene rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Barb Moore
Barb Moore rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Ellen B.
Ellen B. rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
  • The Devil's Panties (Volume 1)
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison Thriller, #1)
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel
  • Death on a Cold Night
  • Hot Latin Men: Volume II (Hot Latin Men, #1, 3.5, & 4)
  • Coast: An Act of Burial
  • Islands and Insulin
  • 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space
  • Triangle: False Mirror
  • Stop Being a F***ing Idiot
  • The Traveler (The Book of Iden)
  • Love Reunited
  • 99 Blessings: An Invitation to Life
  • Ambril's Tale The Return of the Dullaith
  • The Gift of Light
  • Presidents in Crisis: Tough Decisions inside the White House from Truman to Obama
  • Letting Go (Hold on Tight, #2)
Fiction writer. Singer/songwriter. Storyteller.
More about Robert Steven Williams...