Start by marking “My Year as a Clown” as Want to Read:
My Year as a Clown

My Year as a Clown

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Silver Medal Winner for Popular Fiction from the Independent Publisher Book Awards.

With My Year as a Clown, Williams introduces us to Chuck Morgan, a new kind of male hero—imperfect and uncertain—fumbling his way forward in the aftermath of the abrupt collapse his 20-year marriage.

Initially, Chuck worries he’ll never have a relationship again, that he could stand in the lo
Published December 26th 2012 by Against the Grain Press

To ask other readers questions about My Year as a Clown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Year as a Clown

Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Just made it to 3 stars for me.

Did I enjoy this book: This is a tough one. I would say, yes, I did enjoy it to an extent. It had some flaws but it was interesting to read a chick lit-type book from the man’s perspective. You could call My Year As a Clown dude lit.

Let’s discuss the good first. It was interesting to read the man’s perspective. Chuck is a man, almost a cliche man. He constantly talks about football, smoking pot, and beating off. He is a die-hard Eagles fan; he believes his actions
Teddy
At first glimpse, some readers may mistake My Year As a Clown as a book that would appeal to men only. Let me reassure you, that is far from true! Sure, there is some football in it but as a symbol of loyalty and commitment.

Chuck Morgan is devastated when his wife leaves him for another man. Like many women or men often do when a long term relationship ends he digs himself in a rut. He is emotionally spent and doesn't know how to deal with the situation or his loss.
Friend and relatives who mean
Carole Rae
Like earlier stated, I was given this to read for my honest and unbiased opinion.

I was initially drawn to this book by the title and the cover. Such an interesting title. The cover is plain, but it really matches the story and the main character, Chuck. It fits. Chuck is an interesting character, but in the end he is just the guy next door. An average Joe of sorts. I really enjoyed reading the book in the guys view. There are a scarce amount of books following the man's POV after a divorce or br
Teena in Toronto
Chuck is a writer in his forties and has been married to Claudia for almost 20 years. Claudia has been out of town for three months on an archeological dig. As he is driving her home from the airport, she tells him that she has met someone else and is leaving him. Chuck is devastated. What follows are details of the next 365 days as he tries to figure out how to be single and live on his own with his two cats.

We get to know his friends, the dates he goes on, his family (brother, mother and stepf
eva
Chuck Morgan is a suddenly single, and trying to figure out his life after his wife decides to move on from their marriage. He encounters wacky situations and wacky characters. You feel bad for him at times, and at other you just wanna smack him in the head so he gets a grip but always find yourself wanting to keep reading and see where Chuck ends up.

I really liked this book, different to what I read and expected from the title and super enjoyable.
I really enjoyed the ending, and that is huge fo
Rebecca Graf
Chuck finds himself hit with the fact his wife has found someone else and is leaving him. After twenty years of marriage, Chuck is left confused and stumbling about to get his life in order. The reader follows Chuck through a year of recovery and getting back on his feet.

This was a unique book that was an interesting read. I have to admit that. Not many emotional books come from the man's point of view. What I mean by emotional is not that he is crying on every page but that he is exploring hims
Rich Fahle
My Year as a Clown is an honest book, sometimes painful, often very funny, and ultimately hopeful. Chuck Morgan is an unusual hero, blindly fumbling down an uncertain post-divorce path while he slowly comes to terms with his suddenly single life. The characters that pop up throughout the book feel just weird and offbeat enough to be real (I'm talking about you, Simon, the pot-smoking rabbi). By the end of the story, and the year, we've been on a great, personal ride with Chuck, in a way that loo ...more
Lauren
Decent quick read. few too many references and stories about the Eagles and NFL. Not bad overall.
Erica
Chuck is going through a divorce after 20 years of being married. He is in his forties and now is back in the dating scene. The book was okay. I enjoyed it in the beginning. You go through all the emotions with Chuck. Sometimes you want to hug him because the situation is so sad and then their are times you want to slap him and are screaming , "what where you thinking?". But towards the middle I grew tired of it and rushed to reach the end of the divorce. I did enjoy the ending and was happy for ...more
Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this book. It's engaging, funny and at times, sad. I know the author says it's not about his divorce but he seems to be writing from the heart and his experiences rang true. Not being a football fan, I could have done without the parts about the Eagles, although I know they were, in part a metaphor for Chuck's life.

Melissa
To be honest, right now I'm not quite sure how to feel about this book. There were things that drew me in and the writing flowed well, but I have mixed feelings about the rest of the story. Full review to come later. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*
Gabi Coatsworth
Something like Bridget Jones if it had been written by Nick Hornby, so I guess you could call it dick-lit. The story of a man surviving the transition from married to unmarried makes for a read that's eye-opening at times, funny and fascinating for a woman to read.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sherri
Sherri added it
Nov 30, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2014
Alanood
Alanood marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Keiji Miashin
Keiji Miashin marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Marco Pinon
Marco Pinon marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Ly
Ly added it
Dec 19, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Trouble With Charlie (Elle Harrison, #1)
  • The Devil's Panties (Volume 1)
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel
  • Hot Latin Men: Volume II (Hot Latin Men, #1, 3.5, & 4)
  • Death on a Cold Night
  • Coast: An Act of Burial
  • Triangle: False Mirror
  • Islands and Insulin
  • The Chaos Protocol
  • Profiled
  • Stop Being a F***ing Idiot
  • The Traveler (The Book of Iden)
  • 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space
  • Sebastian's Poet
  • Mimi
  • Lifemobile
  • Mack 1 Red vs. Blue
Fiction writer. Singer/songwriter. Storyteller.
More about Robert Steven Williams...
My Year as a Clown: A Novel Best Short Stories from the Saturday Evening Post Great American Fiction Contest 2014