Start by marking “Better off Friends” as Want to Read:
Better off Friends

Better off Friends

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  8,044 ratings  ·  1,245 reviews
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so ba
Published February 25th 2014 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Better off Friends, please sign up.

YA Novels of 2014
62nd out of 1,430 books — 7,321 voters
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
6th out of 255 books — 1,195 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Here’s the basic difference between having a girl as a best friend as opposed to a guy.
When you’re best friends with a girl and you blather on and on, she kisses you to make you shut up.
*barf* I don't bloody think so.

If you have a really really cute guy friend and you guys have been close for so long but oh my god he's so hot and you think you're in love with him but does he like you and what about that time he checked out that other girl and oh my god you guys stay up all night talking and you
Catherine
This sounds so promising. Elizabeth Eulberg is absolutely amazing, and I'm excited for this, after my favorites The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom and Prejudice. (Take a Bow was okay, and I haven't read Revenge of the Girl With the Great Personality yet.)

But I will say: guys and girls CANNOT be best friends.
At all costs.
I doubt this book will make me change that notion.

Friends, yes. But best friends? No.
(Unless the guy or girl is homosexual.)

LET ME REPEAT: A GUY AND A GIRL CAN BE FRIENDS.
BUT NOT BE
Christine Riccio
Really really LOVED READING THIS BOOK <3 It was very when Harry Met Sally except over a younger time span 7th grade - Senior year of High school and I loved it! I JUST WANTED A FEW MORE CHAPTERS AT THE END. LE SIGH. THIS HAPPENS SO OFTEN. Just let me bask in the happy for a second jeez. =P
Avery TheLibrariansDaughter
Feb 14, 2013 Avery TheLibrariansDaughter marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
OMG 2014???? How am I supposed to wait THAT LONG???

description

Btw yes a guy and a girl can be just friends I have tons of guy friends.

description

Why does everyone think we are dating??

Christine Alibutud
"But in truth, home isn’t necessarily where you sleep at night..."

description

"...It’s where you feel like yourself.
Where you’re most comfortable.
Where you don’t have to pretend, where you can be just you."

description

What a cute & fluffy read! Had me laughing and "awww"-ing all throughout! This book totally deserves a 5 BLIMEY-IF-I-DIDN'T-LIKE-IT STARS!!! It was just so.... cute!

Macallan + Levi = this cute gif
description

So let's meet 11-year-old Macallan who's super excited for the start of seventh grade. Now, what sa
Robin (Bridge Four)
Freaking Cute!!!
 photo puss-in-boots_zpsc51feb98.png

After reading a plethora of books with the insta-love factor in them it is so nice to take a step back and read a book where you watch the relationship between two people grow over years. Levi and Macallan met in the eighth grade and became fast friends. The way they talk to one another is fun easy banter of people who really know each other inside out.

”So, Carrie, I think we need to intervene before the Levi and Macallan Show takes over. Once they get started they don’t stop.
Nick

MY FEELS!! They were all over the place after I finished reading Better Off Friends. This is the kind of book that made me want to go onto my rooftop and scream out my love for it at the top of my lungs. I haven't felt this happy after reading book ever since Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. Beware, this review will not be very eloquent. Expect tons of gushing!

I've always loved books with best-friends romances and Better Off Friends was so perfect in that department. In fact, it
~Tina~

Daww, this book was just too sweet. Better off Friends, is my favorite kind of romantic since I simply adore friends-turned-romance above all. But this isn’t in the traditional swoon-worthy way I typically find in my reads, instead this really focus on the friendship and going through the motions of having a best friend of the opposite sex and trying to figure out how to handle all of the wonderful and conflicting emotions that comes with it. This book asks the question everyone at one
Rashika (is tired)
Any guy out there want to be my best friend???
*hopeful eyes*

Yeah I figured no one would :P

But yeah this book was the sweetest thing ever and really, two good YAs in a row? SCORE?

This has angst but one of the cutest friendships in the world and all the angst was worth it in the end. GAHHHHHH

Blimey if I know what to read next.
Erica
There is nothing like an Elizabeth Eulberg book, but this one really took the cake. I just can't even. It was SO CUTE. I was simply blown away by this one, and am sure you will be too.

It made my heart warm with all the Wisconsinisms it featured. There's this scene where Macallan is giving Levi a tour of the school and says the bubbler is at the end of the hall, and he has no idea what it is. I have done that SO MANY TIMES. Bubbler is a water fountain, but apparently no one else uses that :)

Ther
Aimee
May 16, 2014 Aimee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Aimee by: Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas)
*Warning:The general plot of Better Off Friends will be explained in this review. Beware!

After seeing so many people rooting for the two main characters, I was more than eager to check this out for myself. To be honest, when I first saw it on NetGalley, I wasn't hugely interested. But when the reviews stating this book was "adorable and lovable" all came out, and I definitely had to pick it up myself.

You may or may not know that I have a weakness for romances between two best friends. It's like,
♥ Sarah
This was so adorable, cute and perfect for a cozy, rainy-day, pick-me-up read.
description

You know the story. The one where Girl meets Boy at a young age and they become fast friends by some stroke of fate – a commonality, an understanding, a simple smile, or a wave hello; the kind that screams, Potential Best Friend!

For Macallan & Levi, it was their mutual love for “Buggy and Floyd” their favorite BBC show that cemented their 7th grade BFF status. But of course, that simple status grows into much mor
Gillian

Rating: Cute and funny, if insubstantial.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

This book is so adorable it will make your teeth ache and brighten even the most rotten of moods. I read it nearly straight through on a cross-continental plane ride, and it certainly made for a pleasant and entertaining trip. This book won't end up being very memorable to me, though, and that's because it doesn't quite go deep enough. It doesn't dig into the characters the way I like, nor does it have much of an overa
Liza Wiemer
I absolutely loved, loved, loved, loved this novel, and since it's set in Wisconsin, it made it even better. Levi is, as my friends at Swoony Boys Podcast would say, totally swoon worthy! Told in alternating points of view, BETTER OFF FRIENDS IS contemporary YA novel perfection. <3 <3
I can't wait for this novel to be released to the world so that EVERYONE can enjoy it! Mark your calendars for February 25th! From what I understand, Elizabeth's launch party will be taking place at Boswell Bo
Ariana
Honey-and-sugar sweet.
4.5 stars. Review to come!

I am in the mood for a cute love story.
Why isn't this book out already?! :D
Louisa
(3.5 stars)

Can girls and boys ever be just friends?... is a question I've struggled with for years myself. It's a fact of life that we're wired differently. Things change when we grow up. That's what best friends Levi and Macallan (yes, like the whiskey) have to contend with, when Levi moves to Macallan's Wisconsin hometown in the seventh grade.

I've read all of Eulberg's books by now, and I have to confess I love her style of narration. The things her characters go through feel realistic. They m
Anne
I received a digital arc from NetGalley and the publisher.

It's being called the When Harry Met Sally for young adults, so right off the bat, I wanted it.
I mean, is there anyone out there who didn't love that movie?!
But this book isn't some rip-off retelling of the movie, so don't worry. No, it's just a really good book about two kids who meet in seventh grade, and how they form an unlikely friendship over the years.

Anybody who has ever had a really close friendship with someone of the opposite s
Monserrat Maxfield Markov
description

El libro me sorprendido ni tenía expectativas ni nada, pero no me imaginaba algo así. Es tan lindo este libro. Me dejo con una sonrisota. Solo el final no me gusto, demasiado apresurado. Lo que más me gusto del libro fueron esas hojas en gris al final de cada capítulos las ame.

PD. Me enamoré de la portada que trajeron a México y del titulo ¿Y si quedamos como amigos?
Tasha
Better off Friends (view spoiler) is the epitome of everything I dislike about contemporary YA.
Nadia
2.5 stars.

Well, I'm a bit confused about my feelings towards this book. I kept reading it so that's a plus. I wasn't overly happy with it while reading and that's a minus.

Don't get me wrong, I generally tend to like best-friends-in-love books (I even have a shelf for it), but the title of this one made me curious because I thought it will be a story (view spoiler)
Cari
Rating: ★★★★★

My Opinion Of This Book: WOAH. THAT. WAS. FLIPPIN'. FANTASTIC.
Fantastic as in 'you NEED to read this book IMMEDIATELY' !!!

CUTE, ADORABLE, REALISTIC, & FUNNY.
______________________________________________________

Liked:

-Levi
-Macallan
-The Romance
-The Writing
-The Plot/Storyline
-The Ending

The Characters

Levi and Macallan are both easy to relate to, because they are teenagers and act the way teens do. They make some silly mistakes, learn, and then grow.
The side characters (Liam, etc)
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Better Off Friendsis actually my first time reading an Elizabeth Eulberg novel. It won't be my last. If all of her other novels are this cute and sweet and genuine -- and from what I hear, I can only assume they are -- I'll be saving them for my next rainy day. Better Off Friendsis light and fluffy and the perfect mood picker-upper.

As the title sugge
H ∞Δnother book Junkie∞
This was so cute! every once in awhile i just need something that is heart warming and sweet away from all that destructive drama i like. I recommend it when you are bored and have the time.
Kath S
Reseña: http://arcoirisdelibros.blogspot.com/...

description

A pesar del drama bastante cliché y la sencillez de la historia, me gustó mucho! Incluso cuando Levi fue un idiota y Macallan una cobarde, amé cada minuto de ellos juntos :D
Danny Phanton
Un libro fácil y rápido de leer para distraerte.

Bueno, pues el libro es muy sencillo, predecible a más no poder, no pasa nada en la historia salvo la relación de amistad entre Macallan y Levi, se supone que los personajes fueron creciendo con forme avanzaba el libro pero yo los sentí de la misma edad desde que comenzó el libro, no vi que cambiara nada en ese aspecto.

No hay mucho que decir del libro, simplemente es bobo, pero bastante entretenido y fácil de leer que se agradece, tiene bastante h
Ellis
This was adorable. Sure, the blurb is misleading with the whole "the age old question" thing, but I kind of figured that from the beginning.

Review to come
Ash Wednesday
Jan 05, 2014 Ash Wednesday marked it as to-read
Look at that blurb! LOOK AT IT!!!
Dear God, get me this galley and I will never ask for anything again.
Love,
Me
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
What I liked:

-How they dated other people when they were best friends.

-How in the end, even though they were in a relationship with each other, they were best friends foremost.

-The little conversations between chapters.

What I didn't like:

-IT WAS SO OBVIOUS THAT THEY LIKED EACH OTHER! GOD! COULDN'T THEY JUST GO OUT ALREADY?

-Levi's constant ignorance. I mean, Macallan is his best friend . He should know her better than what she says.

-The whole 'hot and cold' demeanour of their relationship.

Sophie Riggsby
Review posted on Mundie Moms blog on 10/17/2014*
More like 4.5 out of 5 stars

I adore stories that follow characters over a longer timeline, and I absolutely love the entire "can a boy and girl ever be just friends" plotline. So, it's no surprise that I loved Macallan and Levi's story. Plus, I love seeing the very beginning of a love story, don't you?

Elizabeth gives us this and more. We have dual points-of-view and bonding over an obscure (at least in the U.S.) British TV show. You guys know how
Jen
This was my first Elizabeth Eulberg book and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on more of her words!

What I Liked: I love how significant this cover is! (I'm a cover dork, I can't help it.) This is a super cute story that takes an honest look at the ins and outs of friendship with the opposite sex. Macallan (loved the unique name) and Levi are best friends who meet in seventh grade and their relationship plays out over the course of five years. It's told through their alternating POVs and
guys and girls can be friends 7 62 Nov 13, 2014 11:22PM
What can you say about the book? 10 51 Nov 10, 2014 10:29PM
♥!The Young Adult...: Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg 7 112 May 24, 2014 08:25AM
Ask Elizabeth Eul...: why did you write it? 1 29 Mar 19, 2014 06:46PM
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • Being Sloane Jacobs
  • Ask Again Later
  • Something Real
  • #16thingsithoughtweretrue
  • Solving for Ex
  • Breathe, Annie, Breathe
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . . #2)
  • The Bridge from Me to You
  • Heartbeat
  • My Faire Lady
  • Faking Normal
  • The Summer of Letting Go
The short and sweet version:
Elizabeth Eulberg was born and raised in Wisconsin before heading off to college at Syracuse University and making a career in the New York City book biz. Now a full-time writer, she is the author of The Lonely Hearts Club, Prom & Prejudice, Take a Bow, Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality, and Better Off Friends. She lives outside of Manhattan with her th
More about Elizabeth Eulberg...
The Lonely Hearts Club (The Lonely Hearts Club, #1) Prom and Prejudice Take a Bow Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality A Hard Day's Night (The Lonely Hearts Club, #1.1)

“Silence fell between us. This was a common occurrence whenever we’re alone. When you’re comfortable with someone, you don’t need to always fill the void with noise. I liked it when we would just be.” 51 likes
“On a scale from one to ten, how much of a pain was I after my injury?
And please be honest.

Do you think I would hold back on you?

Unfortunately, no.

On a scale from one to ten? Thirteen.

Fair enough.

Now I have a question for you.
On a scale from one to ten, how annoyed were you that I was going to the dance with someone else?

Infinity.”