Start by marking “Antioch (The Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Antioch (The Circle, #1)

Antioch (The Circle #1)

"Armageddon is arrived."

Threatened by an unnatural plague that raises the dead, an ancient order of mystics must choose between keeping its secrets and saving humanity.

Kind of like Star Wars with zombies.
Published December 26th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Antioch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antioch

William Harlan
Feb 18, 2013 William Harlan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
I wrote this book, so I think I'll give it 5 stars.
Carrie Harlan
Jan 09, 2013 Carrie Harlan rated it it was amazing
I would give Antioch 5 stars even if the author wasn't my husband. It's a great fantasy adventure novel with plenty of sword fighting and monsters (zombies), but the heart of the book is its characters, complex story and clean, imaginative prose.

From the pious yet conflicted paladin Michael to the loudmouthed but lovable sailor Ditch, the characters in Antioch are multifaceted and unique. There are no stereotypes within these pages, yet through the use of humor and seamless dialog, the characte
Jason
Apr 13, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
First of all, I'm no good with reviews. I will do my best to review and not bring in spoilers. I will say that I enjoyed this book. It's a good start for, I believe, a first time writer. Or least the first novel he has published. He brings a totally different take on the Zombie genre mixing elements of fantasy in. It begins fast and then slows down. And then speeds up again. All along the way I kept asking myself why this or why that. Nicely, the whys are not answered but more is given to the ...more
Star
Aug 20, 2013 Star rated it really liked it
‘Antioch’ is William Harlan’s first novel, but you will be more than pleasantly surprised, because it doesn’t read like a first novel. It’s a post-apocalyptic novel with a fantastical twist. Michael is a paladin who has been trained to harness a power inside him and inside everyone else. He uses this and his fighting skills to kill zombies. As the zombie plague comes closer and closer to each town, Michael and the other paladins have to make a deadly choice. Will the paladins hold to the secrets ...more
Rose
Mar 29, 2013 Rose rated it did not like it
I had a really hard time with this book. I made it almost halfway before I had to call it quits. From the start it felt a little disjointed. I was having a hard time understanding what was happening, but this is often the case with a lot of books for the first couple of chapters, so I decided to soldier on. Unfortunately, things didn't get better. I frequently had to keep going back to re-read paragraphs to understand what was happening. As all of my time reading was spent trying to understand ...more
Heidi Boardman
Jan 16, 2014 Heidi Boardman rated it really liked it
I will definitely keep my eye out for the next book in this series. I like the world presented the book, I enjoyed the characters, and the bauran are an interesting new idea. I am looking forward to learning about the order's training methods (especially the difference in training between a child and a seasoned killer). This book made me want more.
Ami
Mar 09, 2016 Ami rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it very much. The author is very talented and one of the really great things about his writing is that I never got bored. He has that rare ability to write in a way to keep you wondering "what can possibly happen next". I do not like to be able to guess or worse, know what is about to happen. I don't write book reports so you won't get details of the story here only how I feel about the story and the writing. I hope that the next book will be published soon.

I am compelled to respond t
Nicki Markus
Antioch is a book with a good idea that falls down in the execution. The plot is interesting and has a lot of potential, but the structure of the novel is poor and I found the pacing very jarring - moments of action followed by pages and pages of content that didn't do much to advance the story or characters.

I found it really hard to stay focused on the characters and their journeys; my mind was constantly wandering as the text didn't keep me enthralled.

I think there is real promise here in ter
michael oke
Jul 31, 2016 michael oke rated it it was amazing
Classic fantasy nuff said.

A great book. Classic fantasy fiction at its best. A Style similar to raymond feist and david eddings fantasy series.
Aurora
Dec 13, 2014 Aurora rated it liked it
I would like to give this a higher rating due to the time put into it. Unfortunately, it suffered from major continuity issues from beginning to end. Decent concept but did anyone edit this??
Morv
Morv rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Damon
Damon rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Suzannah
Suzannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Thomas Eidson
Thomas Eidson rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Eddie hulse
Eddie hulse rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Don
Don rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Tammy Sexton
Tammy Sexton rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Jennifer Raymon
Jennifer Raymon rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Honolulu Polkadot
Honolulu Polkadot rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Jen B
Jen B rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Joseph Armbruster
Joseph Armbruster rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Mariliis
Mariliis rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Denise Anderson
Denise Anderson rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2014
Laura Mettler
Laura Mettler rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Trent Thurston
Trent Thurston rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Rivven Swanson
Rivven Swanson rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
I live in Houston, Texas with my wife, Carrie, and son, Adrian. I’m a cook and a butcher at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. I like to write “low” fantasy. My stories are less about royalty and destiny and more about monsters, fighting and food.
More about William Harlan...