Blank-133x176
Be Careful What You Wi...

Sibel Hodge

Be Careful What You Wish For (Amber Fox #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  43 reviews
For fans of Janet Evanovich, Kate Johnson, and Gemma Halliday...

Armed with cool sarcasm and uncontrollable hair, feisty insurance investigator Amber Fox is back in a new mystery combining murder and mayhem with romance and chicklit...

Three deaths.
A safety deposit box robbery.
The boxing heavyweight champion of the world.

Somehow, they're all related, and Amber has to solve a...more
ebook
Published (first published April 5th 2011)

This is the second book in the Amber Fox series and was a fun read. What really made this story different was the fact that it is written as Amber is telling the story personally to you. Not to mention she is sarcastic, quirky, funny, sexy all wrapped into one bundle of energy. Amber Fox, ex-cop, now works for her ex-fiance Brad as an insurance investigator. Brad calls her to investigate what starts out as a "something doesn't feel right moment" that he has while watching a pay-per-view boxing m...more
Webbweaver Reviews
WebbWeaver Review by J Goehl

Amber Fox, ex-cop, now works for her once-fiancé, Brad as an insurance investigator. Brad asks her to check out what begins as a ‘something doesn't feel right moment’ he has while watching a pay-per-view boxing match. The insured is the current title holder, Levi, who is fighting his old friend Ricky. When someone comes up to the ring yelling at Levi during the sixth round of the match, Levi is knocked out and Amber is thrown into a whirl-wind investigation that ends...more
Shellys♥ Journal
Former cop and insurance investigator Amber Fox is on the loose again. This time it's a case involving a bank heist, a boxing scandal and murder. Will she crack the case? And will she make up her mind between Romeo and Brad?

I love Amber Fox as a chick lit heroine. She smart, she dresses in pants, she doesn't saunter around in high heels, and she's seemingly fearless in her pursuit of the truth. Her sidekicks are equally amusing - former SAS agent Brad, computer hacker extraordinaire Hacker, and...more
Rhonda
It was a enjoyable to have female that was good at her job but have troubles too. Amber fox used to be a cop but now she is an insurance investigtor. Her boss was her ex- fiance and used to work for SAS. A friend of his from the SAS asked him to find out about his son the world weight boxing title who had a wierd boxing match. Vinnie was his promoter and manager and all around bad guy. Vinnie cousin was bankrobber who Amber arrested 10 years ago and he remembers her. Amber investigates what happ...more
Lia Fairchild
I finally read my first Chick Lit Mystery! Be Careful What You Wish For by Sibel Hodge is witty, fun and full of twist and turns. My hats off to the author for being able to keep the details of all the storylines straight. And, she does a nice job of keeping the reader updated on what’s happening as well, except for the surprises of course. In this story, Amber Scott is trying to solve several mysteries related to a professional boxer including murder! At the same time, she’s trying to figure ou...more
Susan
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author.

Sibel Hodge has created the character of Amber Fox. Some people compare Amber to Stephanie Plum, but I find her to be more mature and smarter. Fashion Police introduced Amber and I think the books should be read in order. Amber grows a lot in this book and makes an important decision regarding her love life. Her investigation of a boxer and the events that caused him to throw a fight is the subject of this book. The plotting and wri...more
Tania
Sibel Hodge is a very special writer. Her prose sparkles with wit and verve. Her characterisations are full of life and she tells a story in Be Careful What You Wish For that is lively, engrossing and fun to read. Amber Fox is a great, fully formed character that you can believe in. This is the first Sibel Hodge book I've read and I enjoyed it very much-- and I'm someone who tends to stick to reading favourite female authors such as Janet Evanovich, JD Robb, Marcia Muller and Linda Fairstein. I'...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
I loved this. I have never really thought about reading 'chicklit' before but this was ace! I could not put it down.

There was blackmail, murder & fraud all wrapped up under the guise of boxing, although the boxing was secondary to the storyline. The story romped along at a cracking pace and there were some really funny laugh-out-loud moments.

It was a very enjoyable book and not at all 'fluffy' as I was expecting it to be – that will teach me about stereotypes! I will certainly look forward t...more
M.A. Comley
This was the first Sibel Hodge book I've read and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with her writing style.

'Be careful what you wish for' has all the elements needed to make a good book a success.

The great one-liners from the main character Amber Fox had me laughing out loud.

There is plenty to keep you entertained throughout and a superb mix of humour, romance all wrapped around a great mystery.

I can't wait to get my hands on Sibel's other books.
Sam
I enjoyed this book. Amber Fox is certainly someone not to mess with and it is nice to see a female character as the bad ass and still be relateable and funny.

The writing was well done, the story lagged a little for me, I wasn't constantly thinking about it, so it took me a while to finish it. But overall it was a good story, I had no idea where it was going but towards the end I figured out who had done what etc... but still enjoyed it none the less.
Joan Thompson
Apr 16, 2011 Joan Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who like mysteries, especially humourous one
This is the second Amber Fox novel. This time she is investigating an boxer and ends up following many leads which finally come together for a ending I wasn't expecting. I like the humour in this book and often found myself chuckling at Amber's comments. I will be eagerly be waiting to read the next book in the Amber Fox series of mysteries.
Johnna Ehlendt
I really liked this book!!! I loved the relationship between Brad and Amber, and felt a little sorry for Romeo but oh well :) I had somethings figured out by the end but other things kept me guessing. I really hope there is another book and it comes out next month!
Grace Krispy
This is an exciting and witty mystery with a tough, determined protagonist. This book had a "chick lit" feel, in a clever rather than zany way. In Amber, we find a skilled investigator who isn't afraid to take on the "big dogs," while exhibiting vulnerability in the moments when she thinks no one is looking. She may be decisive and controlling in the field, but she is constantly second guessing her choices in her personal life. This dichotomy makes her interesting and relatable.

This books looks...more
Martha Cheves
Be Careful What You Wish For – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat and Think With Your Taste Buds – Desserts

“I arrived at the gym one morning to get some equipment sorted out for the boxers. It was still really early so I assumed no one would be there, but when I went in, I could hear Vinnie and Levi arguing in the locker room. I heard the word ‘contract’ mentioned a few times.” Terry frowned. “I think they were arguing about Levi’s contract with Vinnie.”

“Do you know the te...more
Kim
Be Careful What You Wish For is the second Amber Fox book, after The Fashion Police. I haven't read the first Amber Fox book, nor any of Hodge's other books, but I will definately be reading them now. All the necessary elements for a good suspense novel were in this book: murders, mystery, greed, evil, and no small amount of action and unexpected twists and turns. But if a suspense novel can be lighthearted and funny, this one was, with lots of romance and quirky humor throughout the story. Ambe...more
Colette
Feb 22, 2012 Colette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Stephanie Plum
Originally posted on my blo: A Buckeye Girl Reads
When Sibel Hodge contacted me to review the latest book in this series, Voodoo Deadly, I am so glad that she offered me the first two to review when I hesitated to read the last book before reading the two that came before it. They have been a pure delight to read. I can't remember the last time I laughed all the way through the books.

Amber Fox is one of the best heroines I've had the pleasure to read in a long time. While she is constantly gettin...more
Cathy Speight
I love it when a book has you page turning by page 2 and this Amber Fox mystery certainly did. There is never a dull moment and she is a very aimable character. Her slightly chaotic, even scatty, exterior cloaks a head-screwed-on, worldly and shrewd ex-policewoman. She is, of course, pretty and slim with the enviable dilemma of having to decide between two gorgeous hunks. But then, she IS the heroine, so these qualities are a must !! I was momentarily very slightly crestfallen when it was appare...more
Maria
Be Careful What You Wish For by Sibel Hodge is the second book in the Amber Fox Mystery Series. I have not read the first book, The Fashion Police, but this book stood well on its own.

Amber Fox is an ex-cop, now an insurance investigator with her ex-fiancee Brad for a boss. He has called her in to investigate a boxing match accident. Her current boyfriend, Romeo has asked for a break so she can make sure she wants to be with him, not Brad. The investigation gets complicated immediately with con...more
Tom Elder
Sibel Hodge. Amber Fox 2
Be Careful What You Wish For
This is the second in the Amber Fox series, she is an ex cop now working for her ex fiancé Brad in the insurance investigating business.
When a boxing match seems to have been fixed, in comes Amber to find out if it has or not.
If you enjoyed the first book you will love this one . Amber is still trying to decide and work out her feelings for the two men in her life namely Brad her ex fiancé and now her boss, or Romeo who is a detective and she...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was a fun book, second in a series. Fun and light yet not light in where the protagonist finds herself.

I might not have picked it up because I usually avoid chicklit books but am happy the author offered me a copy to review.

She is compared to Evanovich but I find her writing much deeper and entertaining. Her characters are fully developed and the action is realistic as she taught me some things that held my interest.

I would like to read the first book of this series because of the main cha...more
Naomi
Alright, I must preface this by saying I am not a fan of traditional "chicklit", which is where Sibel places herself as an author. In each of the books I am reading by her, her books come off as sarcastically hilarious with strong female characters who can go toe-toe with any guy and no mama drama! This book is no exception. It didn't have quite the "huh" moment of her book Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave, so four stars, but this book was a blast. I do agree that Sibel is an author not to s...more
Becca F
This is the second in the series of Amber Fox books, and it's another easy read from Sibel (who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors). Amber is an ex cop who now investigates insurance claims with her on/off ex, Brad and in this case all is not what it seems in a possibly rigged boxing match. With likeable characters (and ones you wouldn't get on the wrong side of) as well as two love interests, and a story that moves along quickly what's not to love about this book?
Karen (Kew)
This is the first novel that I have read by Sibel Hodge and now I want to read some more! This is a very enjoyable mystery, chick lit story. The mystery was not too predictable and I got caught out a couple of times in my guesses. I also liked the characters in the story. A light hearted and enjoyable read, just the right balance of mystery and romance. Now I want to read the first book of the series - The Fashion Police (Amber Fox Mystery).
Joanne
This second book in the Amber Fox series by Sibel Hodge is as good if not better (if that is possible) than the first. It kept me guessing and laughing throughout. Quite often I find the heroine in these types of book really stupid and annoying which detracts from the story, thankfully Amber Fox the heroine in this book doesn't fall into this category. I am impatient for more!
Samantha
I can't believe how much I'd enjoyed the 2nd story in the Amber Fox series. The easily flow of Sibel's writing made me feel as though Amber was talking to me. The story was fluid and it played out easily in my mind. Of course, the mystery was not as tight as I would have liked and the love triangle thing got on my nerves but by the end, I was satisfied. I can't wait for more...
Gail Hawbaker miller
Another great book! Was glad to see that Amber finally made a decision regarding her love life! The action in this book was more intense than the first, so much so that I couldn't put it down and read it from start to finish in one day, then immediately downloaded the third book in the series!!! I like the author's writing style and look forward to reading her other books as well.
Rachel Cotterill
This is another cute, silly mystery in the Amber Fox series. If you enjoyed The Fashion Police then I suspect you'll be as happy as I was to spend a little more time with Amber and her friends, as they investigate a boxing mystery this time.
Pamela
I enjoy reading Sibel Hodge's books, and this one is no exception. This is book number 2 in a series about Amber Fox, an insurance fraud investigator and her trials and tribulations not only with the job but the men in her life. "Be Careful What You Wish For" is another fun and light-hearted read. A great get-away book.
Pam
I have come to really enjoy Sibel Hodge's books! There are some nuances that I don't care for, but I find the books very entertaining. I purchased the 3rd Amber Fox book right after I completed this one! I look forward reading more!
Christopher Hicks
This is the 2nd book in the Amber Fox mystery series. It was really good. Better than the first book. I really like the way she writes her characters. The storyline was great. Looking forward to reading book 3.
  • Remix
  • We Interrupt This Date
  • claire-obscure
  • The Lonely Mile
  • Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Dead Case in Deadwood (Deadwood Mystery, #3)
  • Single Woman Seeks Revenge
  • Freezer Burn (A Peri Minneopa Mystery, #1)
  • Playing With Poison (Cue Ball Mysteries, #1)
  • Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Stranded (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Dial M for Mischief (Sunshine Girls, #1)
  • Fatal Embrace (Romantic Suspense)
  • Circle in the Sand
  • Hot Property (A Savannah Martin Mystery, #2)
Sibel Hodge an International. Bestselling and Award Winning Author. She has 8 cats and 1 husband. In her spare time, she's Wonder Woman! When she's not out saving the world from dastardly demons she writes an eclectic mix of genres.

Her work has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize 2008, Highly Commended by the Yeovil Literary Prize 2009, Runner Up in the Chapter One Promotions Novel Comp 2...more
More about Sibel Hodge...
Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave Fashion, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox Mysteries book #1) Look Behind You Fourteen Days Later (Helen Grey, #1) My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey, #2)