Start by marking “Gadis Ketiga - Third Girl” as Want to Read:
Gadis Ketiga - Third Girl

Gadis Ketiga - Third Girl (Hercule Poirot Series #35)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  9,031 ratings  ·  316 reviews
Hercule Poirot:
Mantan polisi Belgia yang menjadi detektif swasta, perawakannya kecil dan kumisnya besar, sangat teliti dan bangga akan otak serta kumisnya.

Ariadne Oliver:
Wanita Inggris pengarang cerita detaktif, usia setengah baya, gemar mengubah-ubah tata rambutnya, emosional, dan menyombongkan intuisinya.

Berdua mereka melacak suatu pembunuhan.

Seorang gadis mengaku telah
Published August 2007 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Gadis Ketiga - Third Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gadis Ketiga - Third Girl

mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are an apartment in London. It is the Swingin’ 60s, man, and everything is new and shiny and groovy and covered with flowers. Psychiatry: what a mind trip, it’s crazy! Drugs: they’re everywhere – and sometimes not so groovy! You have room for three girls, you spacious bohemian pad you... but three girls in swingin’ London can sometimes equal trouble: Murder Trouble! Whatever is a hepcat apartment to do? Time to bring in an old-school private detective and his square
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"Where there is murder, anything can happen."

Can you believe I have gone my whole life without reading an Agatha Christie novel?!?

I know, right?! Me either! ;)

So I picked this one up, along with a few others, at my local used bookstore on a whim and decided to give her a shot. I am really glad that I did, because this book was very enjoyable!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgium detective who is approached by a young girl who thinks she has committed a murder. Shortly after she disappears and Poirot must
Sam
Aug 22, 2007 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
Shelves: fiction
Well, as my first Agatha Christie book in about 20 years, i'm told this was a bad choice. Christie wrote it later in her life, and in a bid to maintain some relevance with the younger people, wrote in a lot of jargon about drugs and young people and their strange ways. The jargon and stereotypes didn't bother me so much - they were quaint and at times humorous, but forgivable in most circumstances. What was bothersome about the book was that it had some difficulty in getting started, and when it ...more
Ririn
For the first time ever, I got close enough to guess the mystery. Yeay!!

But it was a bit odd to see Poirot lost his confidence. It was his arrogance that was the main attraction for all this time.
Nancy Oakes
Hercule Poirot is now in his 35th adventure; after this one, he has only three more contemporary appearances -- in Hallow'een Party, Elephants Can Remember, and Curtain.

Third Girl is set smack in the mid-sixties. It's a time when men are wearing such clothes as "elaborate velvet waistcoat[s:], skin-tight pants," and wearing their hair long in "rich curls of chestnut," while women were wearing

"the clothes of their generation: black high leather boots, white open-work stockings of doubtful cleanl
Debbie Robson
I generally don't read that many murder mysteries but as my life is chaotic at the moment I thought an Agatha Christie would be fun and it was. I also chose it becase I wanted to see how Christie "managed" the sixties. And not too badly considering her age at the time of writing and I actually thought the "Peacock" worked. Gosh men did have a different aura about them from around the mid sixties till the mid/to late 70s! I caught the tail end of that era and it was interesting to say the least.
I
Clara
3.5
Me gustó, como la gran mayoría de los libros de Agatha, pero no fue nada sobresaliente como otros de sus libros. Me gustaron los personajes, y me dio mucha pena Norma; la resolución es bastante complicada. Es decir, hay que tener mucha imaginación para resolverlo uno mismo.

Pero hubo un detalle que me gustó mucho, y que pasé muy por encima porque di por sentado que era verdad, como los otros personajes. En casi todos los libros pasa algo como esto, y por eso me gustan tanto.

No se lee tan rápi
Kim Lauwers
I really like the Poirot stories, these stories are timeless and they just keep suprising you. It is also so much fun that you can just read in whatever order you like because there are so many books in this series that it should be quite annoying to always check the internet which book to read next in the correct order, instead o fjust picking a random book in the series and start reading it.

This book was a bit slower than the previous Poirot books I've read. I was actually agreeing with Mrs Ol
She was obviously in great distress, this young lady. She was confused, and desperate, too. But all she said to Poirot when she was ushered into his presence by George was “You’re too old.”

Morbleu! The very suggestion, it is preposterous. As if he, Poirot, could have outgrown his usefulness! But the young lady did confide something to George before she came in. She said that she thought she might have committed a murder.

Not a very definite clue, that. Shouldn’t a girl know if she has murdered so
katie
I am reading too many books at once. And none of them have taken hold of me, but I'm not ready to give up on any of them. The answer to this conundrum is Agatha Christie. I have a whole shelf of her, and the only problem is that I can never seem to remember which ones I've already read. This one was a lucky guess, a Hercule Poirot (those are my favorites), and it scratched the itch all right.
April Helms
"Third Girl" has a different feel from the other Agatha Christie novels I've read. For starters, this is set in the 1960s. This mystery is easily the funniest I've read. Hercule Poirot gets a visit from a young lady who says she think's she's murdered someone, but can't remember who, when or where. She departs abruptly, leaving Poirot to figure out the puzzle. Ariadne Oliver, a mystery novel author, joins him in tracking down the girl and her identity. Those two are a pair and the ending left me ...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
Solid crime story with Hercule Poirot.

It was a well-thought out story, I was just missing some of the humor of some of the other Hercule Poirot books.

It was a quick and entertaining read and I simply enjoy the quality of writing, translation and editing of another era :-)))
Lorraine
Hercule Poirot is searching for a girl. She had visited his flat, saying that she thought she had murdered someone, but after looking at him declared that he was too old, and left. With the help of his friend, novelist Mrs. Oliver, Poirot learns the girl's name, visits her family home and meets her step-mother and boyfriend. But where is the girl? (She's called a Third Girl, as she's the third tenant in the apartment.)

The book was written in 1966, and Agatha Christie tries to make it relevant wi
Hikari
Agatha Christie ist die von mir am meisten gelesene Autorin, da ich mehr als 50 ihrer Werke kenne =) Am liebsten mag ich Hercule Poirot und dieses Buch klang einfach spannend. Eine Mörderin, die ihre Tat vergessen hat bzw. sich nicht sicher ist? Na das kann ja was werden!

Ein Pluspunkt dieser Geschichte ist meine liebste Nebenrolle Ariadne Oliver. Ich finde sie und Poirot sind immer wieder großartig zusammen und es macht einfach Spaß zu lesen.

Die Unvorhersehbarkeit des Buches hat mir gut gefallen
Katie
I've loved seeing David Suchet's Poirot on tv & he definitely captured the essence of Christie's writing. Or perhaps it was simply my inability to see anyone else in my mind. The shows have stayed very true to her works as I believe I had seen this episode before reading the book....but it was long enough ago that the details were lost to me & I couldn't remember the ending. I also envisioned a much younger Miss Lemon than what they chose for the tv series. But all of that is superficial ...more
Belinda
Spectacular. I think this might be one of my favorite Agatha Christie books ever (well, so far :). The plot was so interesting and so convoluted (in a good way) I found myself thinking of the book every night when I was going to sleep. This is a later Hercule story and it begins with an "unattractive Ophelia" showing up at Poirot's door and unceremoniously telling him he was "too old" to help her. Of course this offended the hell out of our dear sleuth and made him more determined to help the gi ...more
✿ Deni
I think I've read one too many Christie's... but in order to finish the challenge this year I have to keep going at a rate of at least two a month. I'm still hoping I will find one that surprises me the way And Then There Were None or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd did, as they are two of my favourite books. However, this book was actually the opposite: it is extremely boring, nothing happens for pages on end and, at times, it feels more like a psychological treaty than a light cozy mystery such as ...more
Andy
I really rate this as a Poirot book - the plot is intriguing and tonally different to most of the others with a central mystery which may not have even occurred. It's all irksome to our favourite egg-headed detective who makes his presence felt strongly throughout. Plus, Ariadne is always a pleasure.

I think the 'period details' put a lot of people off (they are rather in your face) but Poirot in the bohemian swinging sixties is a sight to behold and the drugs, artists, clothes and more are in fo
Christa
Christie plunges into the 60's, bringing Hercule Poirot in tow, and you can feel how uncomfortable both of them are with the way society is heading. Although the mystery is pretty good, you can definitely feel how out of place Christie was feeling. As usual, you can see her "outsider" view of current 60's society in the comments made by Poirot, Mrs. Oliver, and other older characters, and in her somewhat awkward handling of societal issues (drug use, counter-culture, modern art, etc.).

It's also
Nivedita
I borrowed it and after a couple of pages, realized a) I had read it before and b) I remembered the plot quite clearly, except for who the murderer at the end was. So that's when I thought I'd be more systematic about updating my book list here, so that atleast I get to choose the books I want to re-read.

It follows Hercule Poirot and Mrs Ariadne Oliver (complete with her false curls of hair which come off now and then) playing the not very efficient bloodhound on the trail of Norma Restarick, a
Christina Zable
An aging, dithering Christie, writing about an aging, dithering Poirot. She's trying to throw in all sorts of "modern" stuff -- psychiatry and drugs -- and she's out of her depth. He's stitting around and missing connections. I didn't enjoy this one much.
Hannah
Not as captivating as some other Christies, although the issue of Norma's supposed "mental problems" was interesting, as was the way Poirot eventually found the truth and slowly revealed it. Still worth the read, though.
Lisa Rathbun
I found this one rather boring. I prefer the stories set in an earlier time period as well, not the 60s. I didn't figure out the murderer though, so the story was a success in that aspect.
Dawn
Poirot and Ariadne are involved in solving a convoluted mystery with a dash of Africa, disgraced siblings, poison and even some psychology.
Dion Yulianto
Untuk kasus ini, sepertinya Poirot (eh tante Agatha) terlalu banyak berputar-putar dan temponya pun lambat.
Faa
Poirot's 35th cases and he was at the edge of being at senior age to old age. He seemed to enjoy his downtime from cases, but he was turn upset by one girl who blatantly called him old man. The girl avoidance from involving Poirot in her case, made him ever determine to settle the case. This book showed us the era back in early 1950's and 1960's where art was the ultimate projection of one's modernisation and being shabby, dirty and dishevelled was the only way to proof you are one of the kind. ...more
Tony
Chanced upon this Hercule Poirot mystery that I don't remember reading over the past two decades. It's also an uncommon one since the murder is not actually committed in the first half, while Poirot is left to wonder whether the weird girl who confessed to a murder in the first few pages is insane. I have read most of Agatha Christie's 66 detective novels, and while I was happy to discover one that I hadn't, "Third Girl" (1966) was a let-down in terms of plot, motive and character. And there are ...more
Debbie
"Third Girl" is a historical mystery set in 1966 in England (though it was a contemporary mystery when it was written). It's a clue-based puzzle mystery, and there were plenty of clues. It was mainly a matter of figuring out how the author was going to put them all together as it could have gone several ways. I accurately guessed several elements of whodunit and why, but I had a few things slightly off as well.

It felt like less happened in this book than happens in most of Christie's books. Also
Michelle
2.5 stars.

This one dealt with the psychology. The murder hasn't happened yet. (view spoiler) So, it is up to Hercule Poirot (and Mrs. Oliver) to gather all the facts and solve the puzzle. The book is, for the most part, quite repetitive. Poirot keeps mentioning the same sequence of events over and over again, in order to "get the idea" as he phrased it. For one thing, Poirot actually spends his time sitting and waiting for new
CJ
You know how I was saying before that I didn't understand why I had this strong impression that Agatha Christie's books were for old British ladies? I figured it out while reading this one.

This is one of Christie's Hercule Poirot mysteries. Hercule Poirot is a Belgian detective who seems to think he is better than everyone and spends an awful lot of time twirling his "moustaches" in contemplation while complaining about how rude and gauche everyone is. Frankly, I spent most of the book kind of w
2015 Reading Chal...: Third Girl by Agatha Christie 3 15 Jan 13, 2015 07:42AM
Agatha Christie L...: August 2016 - Third Girl 1 5 Aug 15, 2014 08:43PM
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #8)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot Series (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Is she a very clever little actress, acting a part? Or is she a genuine semi-moronic suicidal victim?” 2 likes
“Where there is murder, anything can happen." - Poirot, Pg. 52” 0 likes