Start by marking “Hey Jo: The Rolling Stones, Ronnie Wood, and My Rock and Roll Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Hey Jo: The Rolling Stones, Ronnie Wood, and My Rock and Roll Fairy Tale

Hey Jo: The Rolling Stones, Ronnie Wood, and My Rock and Roll Fairy Tale

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  43 reviews
In this wild, behind-the-scenes portrait of one of the biggest rock bands in history, Jo Wood comes clean about her three decades as the girlfriend and eventually the wife of Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood. This startlingly honest, laugh-out-loud memoir vividly describes life on tour, in the studio, at the legendary parties—and every raucous moment in between.

From te
Published April 9th 2013 by It Books (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hey Jo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey Jo

False Millennium
One thing she doesn't address is her plastic surgeries and it's obvious she's had them. What a depraved life the Rolling Stones lead. I had read in another book on Mick Jagger what an insulated from reality life it really is, and she does get into that more at the end of the book, once she has been pulled off that teet for good. The drug excessives, the carelessness with money, the removal of responsibility. I loved how she kept saying her first son (born from another man) was "happy" living wit ...more
Allison Mcleary
How boring!!! Other than the train wreck they made of their lives at times, they are sheltered, indulged idiots!! I love a good train wreck, so those passages were entertaining. The end- couldn't be more typical. Kids grow up, she starts a little homey business based on new interests, the attention isn't on him anymore and she leaves her for an adoring 18 year old. Yawn!!!!!! And mind you her seizure while freebasing didn't shock her into change but Crohn's disease did?? Give me a break..
Bonnie
I read a lot of memoirs and quite a few on the rock and roll lifestyle and it will never not shock me. So much cocaine. I also learned what freebasing is, so that's cool. Ending every chapter with "and then my life changed forever" or "then the bomb dropped" did get old, but it was a fun and fascinating read. And another good reminder why I'll never marry a rock star.
Poppy99
She is a very pretty woman but not the brightest spark. She spent all those years living with a man who was completely self absorbed, a drunk and drug addict. Oh yes, and all the women on the side including in the latter years, ones 40 years younger than him. The constant humiliation. She keeps on saying, like a golden thread throughout the book, that she was a good mother. She mothered Ronnie okay, but she abandoned her first child, she left him with her parents while she jaunted around the wor ...more
Lisa Stephenson
There were interesting sections of this book by Jo Wood, ex-wife of Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood, but mainly I found myself shaking my head at why she would put up with Ron Wood's behavior, chronic philandering, and substance abuse. The money would NOT be worth it!

Jo admits she partied with her husband for many years (leaving the nanny to do most of the raising of the children, one must assume), but after her 50th birthday party Ron turned to her and said, seriously, "I can't believe I'm ma
David
would make a good People magazine "whatever happened to....?" article but kind of boring and repetitive as a book. It's exciting to be backstage at Rolling Stones concerts...but frustrating and worrisome to know your husband gets lots of attention from groupies and does not discourage it...rock stars and their entourages do lots of drugs and stay up late frequently...narcissistic male rock stars with serious drinking problems are difficult to live with and sometimes take up with younger women ra ...more
Dave Schwensen
Unlike some rock biographies that only hint at or gloss over past bad behavior and dirty deeds, Jo Wood names the names and what was going on where and when. My first thought was that Ronnie Wood (with a hefty contribution from Keith Richards) would have to fight this one and offer his ex a big bucks payoff to keep it off the market. But then I realized when it comes to The Rolling Stones, there really is no such thing as bad publicity. Part of the allure is their five decades long image as car ...more
Anna Koutchmar
Fun book, but toward the end kinda boring, I guess even rock and roll gets boring after 30 year of getting/high and stupid. And lots of name dropping, talk about someone that will not admit it, but missing the lime light
Tad Richards
These are horrid, boring people. I wouldn't want to know them, and I don't want to read about them. I did not feel this way about Keith Richards's book, so I'd say that all this is the fault of Jo Wood, not the Stones.
Louise Jones
I know what u r going to get with these type of books and it was vaguely interesting must admit ding about the rock and roll life style but must admit got a but repetitive with the drugs booze and the inevitable pregnancy i was only vaguely surprised to find t Ronnie gone off with younger model the bit which i really enjoyed was the medical mishaps and how it took so long to find out what wrong it is good to see making own way in world but thinks only because married from someone from the rolli ...more
Nicole
Somewhat interesting insight but mostly I just feel badly for how Jo was treated.
Evelyn Kelly
read this in one day! she gets rite to it and i luved reading her story xx
Janice Barber
Simply an exhilarating and honest read!

This book will help to remind you that rich or poor, famous or not that everyone in life has struggled and victories. It takes you up close and personal in the life of a rock star and the things that go on behind the scenes and the actuality that things aren't always as good as portrayed by the media and other venues. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a real hard core view of real life and its numerous struggles and well earned payoffs. It's a
patty
A light entertaining read.
Julie
All I could think as I finished this book, was that it was a wonder that Jo and Ronnier were still alive, and an amazing miracle that they still had their noses, considering the amount of drugs they consumed over the years. It always makes me wonder too, how rich they would be if they hadn't spent so much money on cocaine.

So Jo is a 16 year old model, when she catches the Rolling stone Ronnies eye. After years together and a bunch of kids they get married, but they don't settle down, but continu
Kitt Allan
A fun, page - turning rock and roll read. The overall arc was a little predictable especially if you've read Patti Harrison 's book and others like it, but still entertaining. Some new stories and insights on their set. Did find her take on parenting while high all the time disturbing -- she seems pretty in denial about that, insisting that she was still an awesome mother. Still overall more self- aware than plenty of celeb memoirs.

I had fun reading it and that's what I hoped for.
Valerie  Shampine
A book about the crazy rock n roll lifestyle that the Stones were living behind the scenes as they made their meteoric rise to fame and sustained it by Ronnie Wood girlfriend then wife who was around it for 30 years, Jo Woods. She endured the ups and downs, the groupies, drugs, the extravagant lifestyle that soon came to be taken for granted. The addictions and sickness when trying to clean up. Trying to juggle being a parent with partying all night.
Kynthia
Jo Wood is a good writer, tells her story straight up and detailed. Sad that she gave Ronnie too much credit, trust and time. She is aware of how much life she wasted with her ex. I'm glad she became independent, getting her life back as it was meant to be. Her children, family and friends were a saving grace during her co-dependence with RW.
Shanlie
Glad i read it. I related to the relationship in the state of alcohol abuse and what it does to the spouse (...not the rockstar part;) Reconnecting w oneself is never too late...as Jo Wood proves. She had alot of fun, got lost, got grounded in the best sense and realized who her friends were/always fun to hear stories about a keith richards being one of the good ones. Slice of rock history to boot. Enjoyed the lessons as well.
Connie Pollock
Pretty entertaining read, a little more enlightening than I expected. I love reading rock n' roll biographies. And I didn't think I'd have such a positive view of Keith Richards after reading it, lol. Keith Richards may be my next biography to read !
Lisa Brandt
This book is a must-read for anyone interested in what really goes on in the rock-and-roll lifestyle. As a young model, Jo found herself in love with the narcissistic, uncommunicative addict Ronnie and their relationship was a lengthy one marked by unmet needs on her part and unbelievably selfish behavior on his. How they lasted 30 years is a mystery! But it's also a fascinating look at what it's like to be in the Stones' inner circle. This autobiography isn't very deep but its breeziness is par ...more
Crystal
Wow. I saw this as a Kindle deal and thought it might be interesting to read about a different perspective on life so I bought it. It was an interesting read but it did jump around a lot which was a little confusing at times.
These people are definitely messed up. I can't believe how much drugs they did! I found it interesting that having kids had no effect on her partying lifestyle but a health scare did. I definitely wouldn't take any parenting tips from her. I mean, offering your kids drugs kn
Kim
Rosie added to Nook and she liked and told me to read.

Typical drugs and craziness like you would expect. I think that Jo embellished a little about herself but then she wrote this. Scary some of the things that happened all while she calls herself the best Mum..... Most mom's I know are not doing drugs and partying with strangers in their home and think the kids are safe around this. Bizarre what some people think is norm.
Pamela A. Schmeckpeper
Jo Wood isn't the best writer out there, but her story was enthralling. She remembers a surprising amount about the Stones tours, considering the huge amounts of booze and drugs she was on at the time. Her evolution from druggie to health nut was relatable, as were her struggles to provide good parenting amidst chaos. Jo comes across as a likable gal with a great attitude.
Ellen
The book-length equivalent of a People magazine article; entertaining, instantly forgettable, but let's hope Mrs. Wood got a little money out of it.
Robert
Rolling rock

great read, if you are a stone fan.inner life of rock star exposed, sex,drugs, booze. how he still allve beats me.
Emily
Crazy stories but I should have just cut to the chase and read Keith Richards' autobiography!
Booksdingle
food for thought, makes you want to go to bed at 8pm with tea and a digestive
Glorianne Roccanova
i really enjoyed this book...i love reading about the rolling stones...they truly are a priate nation. they certainly have a lot of people involved with them.....i like that jo is not a whiney women.....and did not discuss money when she spoke of her divorse....i hope she got a lot...now that i have said that let me say i never have and never will consider ron wood a stone....ever...the last stone to join the band was mick taylor......
  • The Kid Stays in the Picture: A Notorious Life
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • My Life as Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and Other Action Heroes
  • Behind the Candelabra
  • Welcome to My Jungle: An Unauthorized Account of How a Regular Guy Like Me Survived Years of Touring with Guns N Roses, Pet Wallabies, Crazed Groupies, Axl Rose's Moth Extermination System, and Other Perils on the Road with One of the Greatest Rock Ba...
  • Spencer Tracy
  • Bond On Bond: Reflections on 50 years of James Bond Movies
  • Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3
  • I Am Spartacus!: Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist
  • Talk Show: Confrontations, Pointed Commentary, and Off-Screen Secrets
  • The Doors Unhinged: Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial
  • What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not
  • Rivington Was Ours: Lady Gaga, the Lower East Side, and the Prime of Our Lives
  • Still Talking
  • Lee Marvin: Point Blank
  • Always On Sunday:  An Inside View of Ed Sullivan, the Beatles, Elvis, Sinatra & Ed's Other Guests
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
Naturally Gorgeous Doggy Dilemmas: The Animal Antics of Canine Psychologist Jo Wood Java Programming for Spatial Sciences Miller's: Art Nouveau & Art Deco: Buyer's Guide (Buyer's Price Guide)

“It might have been the seventies, but if you’re old enough for a moustache you’re too old for strawberry-patterned trousers.” 0 likes