Start by marking “The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and for All” as Want to Read:
The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and for All

The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and for All

Rather than explaining typical strategies for overcoming fear, this book focuses on examining how fear is experience, how to recognize that experience as nothing more than conditioned reaction to circumstance, and how to mentor oneself into letting go of beliefs about "appropriate" responses to fear. The notion is debunked that fear is anything other than a label we have l ...more
Published September 1st 1995 by Keep It Simple Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fear Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fear Book

John
Oct 25, 2010 John added it
These jumped out at me:

pg 1-2
Fear is a very useful signal along the path to freedom. The stronger the fear, the closer you are to what you are seeking. If you want to stay "safe" (i.e., stuck where you are), fear tells you to stop what you are doing. But if you want to be free, fear lets you know you are on the right track, it is a signal to push ahead in the same direction, to pick up the pace.

pg 54 - 55
If you no longer believe what fear tells you, you will live and it will not. That is a point
Colored Ink
May 23, 2014 Colored Ink rated it it was amazing
This book looks simple, even childish, but is very powerful. I was loaned this book and read it several times before returning it. May need to get a copy of my own, to re-read once in a while.

I was in a very, very dark and scary place at the time, almost paralyzed by a set of seemingly-insurmountable circumstances, and unable to handle (or even deal with civilly) the well-meaning advice of friends and family. I did not take well to being handed this book, but eventually, in desperation, sat up i
Eli
Apr 01, 2015 Eli rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2009
OK. I "get it" a lot better now. This book is an excellent tool for starting to disassociate oneself from one's fear and get a good look at it – to get to the bottom of it and maybe work through it. There's enough difference from The Depression Book that I didn't feel like I was rereading the same book, but enough overlap that I could say, "Yeah, I needed to hear that again." Another great step along my (or anyone's) road back to wholeness.
Eshaneh
Jun 04, 2012 Eshaneh rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of self-help books out there, but this is much more than a self-help book. Reading this book is more like having a conversation with a wise being who gently guides you to listen to your inner voices of wisdom and clarity. I know I will come back to this book again and again, and I wish I had read it earlier.
Patty
Oct 06, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
I didn't think this book would have a lot for me, since I don't think of myself as experiencing "fear" that often. But I do experience "anxiety," and in reading this book I realized they are essentially the same thing. Huge, helpful awareness.
Coyora Dokusho
Oct 18, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
I read this, IT WAS EXCELLENT. It's one of those books you read again and again and again. I forgot to review it at the time... and I think I read it in... August? - Best guess.

It was really, really helpful.
Tarin
Feb 24, 2008 Tarin rated it it was amazing
I love cheri huber books...She is a budhist monk....and her books are really easy reading... she hand writes the book and includes really cute hand drawn sketches to illustrate her ideas.
C.E. G
Nov 30, 2015 C.E. G rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
A patron recommended this author to me, and while I got some stuff out of it, it was different from what I expected. Much of what Huber says seems to address a specific kind of fear: an anxiety about performance. This is helpful, but I would also be interested in hearing her talk about fear induced by trauma. Like, she looks a lot at fear of trying something new or failing that has come about by adults telling you how to be careful growing up. But what about fear that isn't socially prescribed, ...more
Michael
Oct 15, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
Filled with platitudes that don't really say much of anything, I found Chris Huber's The Fear Book to be vaguely annoying. While the basic precepts are sound, and the examination of the process and experience of fear interesting, the overall thrust of the book was not very useful for me.
Sparrow Knight
Sep 05, 2015 Sparrow Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: dharma, spirituality
A quick read, getting to the heart of zen practice...staying in the midst of strong emotion & investigating its nature, how it rules our lives & destroys our freedom. Huber's writing sometimes left people confused in our small study group, but sorting that out actually made for good discussions, gave everyone an opportunity to express their understanding of what was being said about practicing with fear. This often lead to insight into fear's nature, or new perspectives on how to approac ...more
Maria
Aug 08, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Inspiring and consoling, this is just what I need to hear at this time of my life.
Jay
Quick read but lots of information written in a very informal manner. The main theme of the book is to see fear for what it is and to identify it as only fear and not allow it to overwhelm your ability to live.
Ariane
Mar 27, 2013 Ariane rated it liked it
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Pretty good, quick little read with a few "aha" moments. My moderate rating is just because it was a bit repetitive in parts, and some of the writing wasn't very clear. I've got a few of her others in my to-read pile though, and am still looking forward to them!
C2015
Jul 29, 2013 C2015 rated it really liked it
So good. Love Cheri's books. Had this book for years and finally read it. Ya gotta love zen. A new way of looking at fear...its not the content, ie what you are of afraid of but the process. Awareness is the key.
Carmen
Jan 02, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it
It gave a simple guide on how to make friends with fear. I think it is a good book and I guess I will read it again to get more out of it.
Uppie
Feb 07, 2011 Uppie rated it really liked it
Simple writing, easy to read, but some good nuggets of wisdom if you're struggling with any of those little inner fear-monsters.
Cathyannebaron Baron
Jan 04, 2011 Cathyannebaron Baron rated it it was amazing
It's like reading someone's journal. It's eye opening and inspiring.
Sarja
Jan 04, 2015 Sarja rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
Quite a lovely book, to be honest, but not what I was looking for.
Jenn
Jun 28, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it
Did not like it as much as her others, but it was still helpful.
Nspirebliss Meyer
Dec 01, 2008 Nspirebliss Meyer rated it it was amazing
A must read for any soul living a human experience.
Alessandra Crivelli
Apr 08, 2016 Alessandra Crivelli rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant.. It helped a lot!
Kathleen
Apr 26, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Life changing book. Learn to be your own mentor
Emily
Dec 19, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
so uncomfortable it just might work
Dannyellazee
Dannyellazee marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Carly Kaste
Carly Kaste marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Chafic
Chafic marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Brittney Jasmin
Brittney Jasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
  • Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A GUIDE AND MAP FOR RECOVERING FROM CHILDHOOD TRAUMA
  • Compassion and Self Hate: An Alternative to Despair
  • Transformation Soup: Healing for the Splendidly Imperfect
  • The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed
  • Visual Journaling: Going Deeper than Words
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • Secret Survivors
  • Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • The Compass of Zen
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life