Start by marking “The New Rules of Lifting for Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A customizable-and realistic-fitness program specifically created for midlifers who want to lose weight, revitalize energy, and build habits for increased longevity.

Today's exercising adults are caught in a bind: Those who take it seriously and work out aggressively end up with chronic aches and pains in midlife because they don't know how to adjust their programs as they...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Avery Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The New Rules of Lifting for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Rules of Lifting for Life

Leah Hortin
I'm completely biased as I love the original and women's versions of the New Rules of Lifting. I knew I would enjoy this book and I did. It's targeted to an older, more sedentary demographic that may have otherwise not been inclined to try the other books but that does not mean that this book is any less challenging!

The major upside to this program is how malleable it is. The "Chinese Menu Style" workouts can be tailored to fit anyone of any fitness level - even me, a 27 year old experienced li...more
David
NROL v4.0. What an upgrade this is: we have been lifting this program for six months. The best part: instead of assigning exercises, it assigns types of exercises graded as to difficulty and let's the user select the exercise for each type. Fantastic program.
Pete Storm
This book is dedicated to older folks that want to get into shape. As such, it's perfect for me. It has a pretty healthy chunk of advise dedicated to not hurting yourself in the gym, which is a lot more important when you're old.

I don't read about lifting much, and I've always done isolation lifts. This book is much more about combination exercises (you can build half their routines with planking, pushups and pullups). So far, that's been 1) a huge change (not that I've done a lot of lifting in...more
Melody
I love the original NROL, and I was pretty sure I'd like this because it's billed as sort of the NROL for geezers. I'm a geezer, I love NROL, what's not to like? Well, the biggest thing I didn't like about this was the complicatedness, and the fact that the log sheets are one sheet per workout instead of one sheet that lasts a month or more. I get that this one is far more customizable, and I still adore Schuler's authorial voice. But this is not a plan I'll be following, I think I'll stick with...more
James
Not a bad book especially if you're not an experienced lifter. For those who've been at this a while, there was nothing new.

My expectation was to read some discussion of modifications to one's routine necessary as an accommodation to age or injury, but beyond the perfunctory "you can't lift as much weight as you did when you were younger," there wasn't much.

I'll admit to scanning portions of the text that seemed repetitive or unnecessary, so it's possible I missed information older lifters shou...more
Andrew Saul
Whilst the title does sound a little health fad what this book is, is a sensible and well structured way to a long lasting and rewarding exercise routine.

The books offers entry levels for complete beginners all the way up to experienced lifters. And it's not just about building muscle, rather it's about that whole body exercise (cardio included) that all of us should work towards.

As you get older maintaining a sound and healthy body is vital. This book has that kind of long term focus in the exe...more
Kathy
A nice book on lifting weights for the more mature (think older) person.
The goal here is to be able to gain strength and look toned, but think squats and pushups with some other nice moves.
It does give example plans to use for beginner, intermediate, and advanced and some of the equipment much more than just dumbbells so it does not all work for an at home workout unless you have a few speciality items which I don't have and don't have room for -- but should be available at any gym. Some nice...more
MRunamuck
Not having been one to enter a Gym until a couple years ago, I found this book to be very helpful for me to get more benefits from the time I invest improving my core strength and mobility.
Ridgewalker
I got something out of this book. Exercise at 80% of your max and don't do a half assed workout. The new rules of lifting, the actual rules, were pretty good too. The discussion of how our body ages, and what you can and can't do about it is also pretty cool, as was the discussion about diet. The actual program though? If you can do it, I'm sure it would be amazing. It is far enough removed from my gym routine though as to make me not have sufficient motivation to engage. I'll never quit going t...more
Maggie
Superfluous, lesser rehash of the previous two books.
Laurel
I liked this book. Lou has a solid product. If you've read his other books, there is nothing earth shattering in here, but he keeps up to date on the latest information, incorporating any changes in current thinking into the exercise and eating plans. He is always informative and funny.
Angela
I will probably reference this book for a very long time. Great techniques to get yourself going again, after slacking off for some time. Soon to be 36, this book helped me refocus my fitness goals. I don't want to run marathons, I just want to be fit, strong, and flexible.
Tim Rucinski
Good stuff, particularly the exercise groupings, for old farts like me. I don't think I'll follow the program to the letter, but the info on exercising the core without crunches was great for someone such as myself that spends a good deal of time sedentary behind a desk.
Jason Heyd
The exercise information continues in the NROL tradition, but the brief bits on diet just don't strike me as anything resembling the way I want to approach eating. Simple, maybe. Realistic? Not unless you really don't care all that much for food.
Steven
I suspect all this probably works, but it's not enough of a cookbook for clueless people like me. Too many choices before I can get started. Confusing for the novice.
Nathan
Read through it this morning and now I'm going to test-drive it. Workout logs can be found at: Werkit!
Kristen

This book would be good for someone new to weight lifting but for someone with more experience it's nothing new or ground breaking.
David
Great potential for creating and adapting workouts and routines when you have injuries. And, Lou is always an enjoyable writer.
Jesús Rodriguez
Good read for those who are into calisthenics and endurance exercise.
Jazz Smithson
Jazz Smithson marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sidnee
Sidnee added it
Oct 03, 2014
Jonna
Jonna is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Daarina Felton
Daarina Felton marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle The New Rules of Lifting for Abs: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain-Free Back The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged: Ten All-New Muscle-Building Programs for Men and Women The Men's Health Home Workout Bible