Start by marking “The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)

The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars Legends)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  617 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Hermit. Mentor. General. Jedi. Overlooked as a Padawan, he was to become one of the most revered Masters of all. Sworn to serve the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order, his own apprentice would bring about their destruction. Powerless to retrieve Darth Vader from the dark side, he would train the only one who could. NYT bestselling author Ryder Windham brings together Obi ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ron
A skillful patch of known and previous stories about Obi-Wan Kenobi, this books lacks the originality—the story—of books like Kenobi. However, for its apparent audience—young, even middle grade readers—it’s a satisfying story.

Mitchell
Jan 22, 2009 Mitchell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fans of Star Wars
Recommended to Mitchell by: Joseph Jorgensen
My son picked this out and then read it in 1 sitting. He loved it. It is essentially a sequential collection of dialogue from the movies, cartoons and some other books. It makes the story of Obi Wan a single volume which was fun. Obi Wan Kenobi is my favorite of the Jedi. This book added for me a dimension of his fallibility and humanness. It explained (at least from this author's perspective) the reason, feeling and decision Obi Wan had when he walked away from Anakin/Darth Vader on Mustafar. I ...more
Sesana
I can't really complain about one of the junior Star Wars books being, well, junior. I imagine that a young fan of Obi-Wan would be delighted. As an adult fan, though, it's a bit underwhelming.

Part of the issue is that it's mostly just a simple collection of dialog from the movies. The big problem with that is that there's no insight, and no filling in the blanks between scenes. This is especially problematic, I think, in the Episode One sections. There's a lot of in-between to explore there, an
Anthony Smith
My book is The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi written by Ryder Windham. This book covers all of Obi-Wan’s life from the pain to his success. The book also covers the main people in Obi-Wan’s life throughout his young years as a padawan and his years as a Jedi master.
One reason why I love this book is because of the writing style Windham uses. He uses a lot of show don’t tell especially in the most important parts of Obi-Wan’s life. An example of Windham showing and not telling is when Anaki
Lukas Hillen
The authors purpose for writing The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi is to entertain and to inform. I think this because the book tells the reader what happened to Obi-Wan through out all six movies. So it is sort of informing the reader as to what his life was like when the movies didn't tell you. The author wrote it to tell all six Star Wars movies from Obi-Wan's point of view. The audience for this book would be young adult. This book is an action book.
I think that the theme for this book
Omar Villegas
Critique
The main character of my story is Obi-wan kenobi he is one of the best jedi’s in his time. Obi-wan was trained when he was little got trained to be a strong jedi when he was older. Later he would grow up to train luke skywalker. This book informed me more about star wars before I knew a little but now I know more. I don’t suggest you read this book unless you know about star wars it only says where he has been. This book can relate to me because when he was little he was trained to beco
Mary
Great Book i loved it great back story from obi wan's pov and Luke's it really filled in some blanks of obi wan's early life and how he was involved in luke and Leia's life directly and interactively very enjoyable for old school star wars fanatics and obi wan fans. It also shown how obi wan knew all along that Luke could detstroy the empire and redeem Anakin where he could not and how obi wan's and Yoda's training prepared Luke for that.
A wonderful read. This book takes Obi's days of being a Padawan all the way to when Vader died. I love that part, when Obi realized his mistake, he had lost hope, he was too over whelmed and over come by grief and sadness at his failure and what happened to Anakin to see past to the fact that he could be redeemed, but not by him. I loved seeing all six episodes from Ob's perspective, yes there is rehashes of the movie and of previous books/novels written about Obi and his days as being an appren ...more
Ramiro Ambriz
In the beginning Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn are on the planet Ilum to craft Obi-Wan's first lightsaber. Then they go to the planet of Naboo to free it from a separatists blockade and save the Queen. As soon as they rescue the Queen (didn't free blockade yet) they head to a poor desert planet to repair there hyperdrive. Soon after they landed they meet a toydarian who had a part shop and owned two slave Anakin and Shmi Skywalker. Anakin made a bet with the toydarian saying if he won the race ...more
Ellen
Unfortunately, I was not as impressed with this book as I'd hoped to be. It did bring together many details from all of the movies, it felt like little more than a rehashing of scenes. Honestly, I much prefer the Jedi Apprentice and Last of the Jedi young reader series by Jude Watson.
Ronny Bereczki
Ach, was soll man nur zu Ryder Windham sagen. Sachbücher kann er ja schreiben (z.B. Jedi vs. Sith), aber mit spannend erzählten Geschichten hat er es nicht so. Nach seinem Vader Buch hatte ich keine hohen Erwartungen an "Obi-Wan Kenobi - Leben und Legende". Und meine Befürchtungen haben sich Anfangs auch bewahrheitet. Der erste Teil ist langweilig. Ab der Mitte bessert er sich und überraschender Weise fand ich die letzten Seiten sogar gut gelungen.

Wer kein Star Wars Fan ist, sollte um dieses Buc
Phoenix P
Mar 14, 2014 Phoenix P rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: read if your a star wars fan
Prasidh Ramson
This book should be called Obi-101!

It provides a superficial telling of Obi Wan Kenobi, famed Jedi. Told through a sub-story of Luke Skywalker finding his Journal, it recounts Obi Wan's involvement in Episodes 1 through 6 of the saga. There are nods to other stories and characters in the Expanded Universe (or Legends series, as it is now known).

Targeted for junior readers or people new to the Star Wars franchise, I found it too basic and lacking detail about one of the more famous and charisma
David Pedreira
Really simple book that collects and expands a few scenes from the movies and other books from the expanded universe. Its not revolutionary, but makes for good light reading if you are in the bathroom.
Brendan
Much of this book was a summary of events from the movies and other series. There was little original here and what was original didn't really ring true to me. Not really worth the time.
Elisabeth
Take a ride with the Millennium Falcon through Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi's life.
That's how the book is. If you (as I did) think that you're going to learn about Obi-Wan's childhood, his years at the Jedi Temple before Qui-Gon Jinn takes Kenobi as his padawan, then you are deeply mistaken. This book ONLY focuses on what happens in the movies. The dialogues are the same and every scene is quickly described with no unnecessary details.

I'm so disappointed with this book since I really wanted to learn mo
Wilton314
An excellent read. A great trip down memory lane for any avid Star Wars fan '... from a certain point of view'. Probably more aimed at teenagers but young at heart will enjoy nonetheless.
Nick
Kim
I absolutely loved this book. It was such a great overview of Obi-Wan's life, and written so well. Devoured every page.
Dorthea Kemp
Not as good as Kenobi, more of a side-step recap of the movies.
Leslie
loved this! fleshed out the whole story for me :)
Heidi
It was a pretty good book.
Shane Hartman
I feel like this book was a fairly good book. This book is all about Obi-Wan Kenobi as you can probably tell from the title. It tells of his whole life including going from a padawan to a Jedi knight and from being an old hermit in the Jundland Wastes to becoming one with the Force. It is interesting because there is a lot of information in this book that was not in the movies. I would recommend this book to those lovers of action and science fiction genres.
Angela
Suitable for 8+ and those who have seen the films.
This is a strange book, part rehash of the films, part new story. Luke is back where he first met Obi Wan, and he has no lightsaber. Han is with the Hutts. Luke finds Obi Wan's journal, and this tells of a new 'jedi apprentice' story and exactly what Obi Wan did when he dropped Luke off as a baby. These bits are the new story, the rest not that new. I'm sure children will love it though.
Eric
Mar 01, 2012 Eric is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading a book called STAR WARS THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF OBI-WAN KENOBI. The setting of this book is in a galaxy far far away.

My question for this book is why Darth Vader is evil? I think that Darth Vader is evil because he listened to the emperor who was evil and the master of Darth Vader.

This reminds me of the time me and my sister were fighting with toy light sabers and I always won the game.
Mr
First I got the Darth vader version of this book and became hooked. These interpretations are cool because they tell the entire star wars story from one persons point of view. Obi wan does things other books don't tell you about like writing a book for Luke to come find. it includes journal entrees from the clone wars and other things it even tells Luke how to make a light saber. --James Morey 214 pages
Chris
This book contains lots of unknown facts and happenings of this great jedi master.It includes everything from episode I to episode VI which is funny because Obi wan died in the 4th episode. It shows his life when he was a ghost also. This is a good book for any starwars fans boys or girls of any age (but i wouldnt recomend it for any one under the age of 8 because there are some hard to prononce words.)
Andy
I agree with what someone said about this author's previous book of this type (the one about the life of Vader)--that there was way too much rehashing of the movies... but somehow I still cried at the end! And I don't usually give a rat's butt about cover art, but the book's front cover and the slipcase's front cover are beautifully done, IMHO.
Jessica
As the author says at the start of the book: It would be impossibale to compile the adventures of Obi-Wan Kneobi in a single volume, especially because many adventures have yet to be written.

It is such a shame that in this volume, a lot of the story and dialogue comes straight from the movies.

Watch the movies and save yourself the time.
Amber the Human
I hadn't seen this series of books before, but when I ran across it at the library, I thought I'd pick it up. Although the new trilogy disappoints me and I'm not interested in the Clone Wars stuff, I am interested in the stuff that ties 1-3 and 4-6 together. And I liked it. I haven't read anything from Obi-Wan's POV, so that was new.
  • Renegade (Star Wars: Rebel Force #3)
  • The False Peace (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #9)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
Ryder Windham is an American sci-fi author who has written over sixty Star Wars books, including novels, comics, reference books, and so on. He has also written junior novelizations for Indiana Jones movies. Since 1993, he has been working on Star Wars projects either by himself or with other authors. His reference book Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide had been on the New York Times Best Selle ...more
More about Ryder Windham...

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 347 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi)
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest (Star Wars)
The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars) Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force The Wrath of Darth Maul (Star Wars) A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

“Fortunately, Luke's unwavering faith in his father's innate goodness had proved to be a stronger force than the power of the dark side.” 4 likes