Start by marking “The Tattered Quilt (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tattered Quilt  (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #2)

The Tattered Quilt (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  801 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Join Emma Yoder Miller, the Amish widow-turned-newlywed, as she leads another quilting class with a new group of unlikely students, all with tattered pieces of their lives that need mending. Members of the patchwork group find friendship, faith, healing, and restoration while gathered around their quilts, under the Father’s guiding hands—for only He can take what’s ragged ...more
Published August 6th 2013 by Barbour Books (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Tattered Quilt, please sign up.

As You Are by Sarah M. EdenFor Elise by Sarah M. EdenHope Springs by Sarah M. EdenFull Steam Ahead by Karen WitemeyerBecoming Lady Lockwood by Jennifer  Moore
2014 Swoony Awards
314th out of 539 books — 1,667 voters
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Persian Pickle Club by Sandra DallasThe Runaway Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini
Quilt on the Cover
34th out of 139 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronna
Jun 17, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing
This is the second book built around shattered, unhappy, and needy lives. Emma Yoder Miller was a widow who found her wonderful new husband in the last quilting class. Now she continues to run six week quilting classes, with her husband, for the people that God sends her. A strange group of people have found themselves beginning classes whether they want to or not.

Anna is 18 and wants to experience life outside of her Amish community, but her mother has signed her up for this class in hope of k
April Wood
Jan 21, 2014 April Wood rated it it was amazing
The Tattered Quilt, an Amish fiction by Wanda E. Brunstetter, finds Emma Yoder Miller teaching yet another quilting class with a new group of individuals who are all in need of 'repair' themselves.

Selma, Jan's neighbor, is a grouchy busybody who thinks she knows it all about quilting. Terry, also Jan's friend, is a rugged roofer, who takes the class because of a pretty woman student, (Cheryl), who he sees entering Emma and Lamar's house. Blaine loses a bet with Stuart, (also from the previous bo
Jodie
Jul 07, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
Emma has just placed another ad for a quilting class despite her husband's desire to travel to Florida for the winter. When students begin signing up, they realize they'll need to put those Florida plans on hold. As usual, Emma gets quite the mixture of students. A man who lost a bet, a man who saw a cute woman taking the class and decided to give it a try, a reporter who's trying to dig up dirt on the Amish, a young Amish girl who is torn between her strict Amish parents and wanting to explore ...more
Janine
Sep 06, 2014 Janine rated it liked it
"The Tattered Quilt" by Wanda Brunstetter is the second book of the The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club and the whole gang from the first book "The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club" is seen at one point or another in the book, though this book revolves around a whole new set of characters.

There seems to be the know-it-all, the obnoxious one, a reluctant quilter (well I guess there are two of those actually), the deceiver, and the last minute quilter. Oh what an interesting class it is too. As
Cathy Genna - 2013 RWA Bookseller of the Year

Amish widow Emma Yoder is now newly wed to Lamar Miller and they are beginning another quilting class that brings together a group of very different students whom need some friendship and healing of their own.

Anna Lambright an Amish teenager is turning eighteen and wants the freedom to make her own choices and to enjoy some of the the things English teenagers do. During Rumschpringe before being Baptized Amish teenagers can experience the modern world and then choose the Amish way of life or no
Susan
Sep 07, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I always enjoy Mrs. Brunstetter's books. Ms. Ertl did an excellent job with the narration. There were some unexpected moments and I relished those. All of the chsracters were delightful, though perhaps not at first. Seems like all of the folks in the quilting class had some issues that needed to be addressed. I look forward to listening to more books by this author and narrator. I truly hope there is more in this series.
Christy
Oct 18, 2014 Christy rated it it was amazing
This is the second book to "The Half-Stitched Quilting Club." Newly weds Lamar and Emma Yoder Miller have decided to offer quilting classes again. At first the interest and sign up process is slow and Emma fears she may not have enough students. However, Times progresses and more people express interest: a biker with a smoking habit, a salesman who's grieving the breakup of his last girlfriend, Anna, a young Amish woman who does not want to there because she wonders what it would be like to live ...more
Karen Korb
Jan 13, 2014 Karen Korb rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts About The Book: Wanda Brunstetter is never a disappointment and has done it again. She takes six people from all walks of life, throws them together to learn how to quilt. Cheryl wants help with her grandmother's old quilt. Carmen wants to learn about a rumschpringe for an article she is writing. Terry is a roofer, Blaine is tricked into the class, Anna signed up by her mom to learn more about her Amish faith. Selma was given the class to keep her busy. Emma and Lamar have their work ...more
Cherie Kasper
Sep 19, 2014 Cherie Kasper rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, it kept my attention and entertained me. The characters and the plot both were very well written and there was enough surprises I had a hard time putting the book down.
Emma Yoder Miller was newly married and she and her husband did a quilt class lasting 6 weeks long. But quilting was not the only reason to have the class. So much more was going on while sewing and have homemade snacks.
Each person attending the class had their own private life going on which ma
Janet
Mar 15, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much! A nice clean christian book:)Wanda E. BrunstetterGreat is an awesome author :)
Linda Rogde
Aug 29, 2013 Linda Rogde rated it liked it
A quick read- a feel-good story; great to read before bedtime. A gentle book with a happy ending.
Kelly
Jan 04, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Tattered Quilt by Wanda E. Brunstetter we join Emma a widowed newlywed as she leads her second quilting class. Once again we find that her class is full of unexpected students. While gathered around the quilts they are making they find friendship, healing, and restoration.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults.

This book is the second in the series “The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club.” Characters from the previous book show up at one point or another but most of the story revol
Nancee
Sep 04, 2014 Nancee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
Emma and Lamar Miller put their vacation in Pinecraft, Florida on hold. Emma felt the need to remain in their Amish community in Shipshewana, Indiana to teach another 6-week quilting class. As in the past the class filled up quickly, and the Millers were once again put to the challenge. The students were as tattered as the old quilt that one of the students brought to Emma for repairs. Was it possible that those six people could find restoration and peace through the process of quilting? As a cu ...more
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Join Emma Yoder Miller, the Amish widow-turned-newlywed, as she leads another quilting class with a new group of unlikely students, all with tattered pieces of their lives that need mending. Members of the patchwork group find friendship, faith, healing, and restoration while gathered around their quilts, under the Father’s guiding hands—for only He can take what’s ragged and shabby from the lives of His children and turn it into beauty for His glory.”

Series: Book #2 in “The Ha
DiAnne
Aug 26, 2014 DiAnne rated it it was amazing
Wanda Brunstetter has done it again!! If you liked "The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club", you will find this book just as captivating and charming. This book has very believable characters, great storyline, and an unexpected surprise at the end.
Emma Yoder Miller & Lamar Miller, newlyweds, are once again offering Amish quilting classes for a total of six weeks. They are opening their home having faith in God to have His hand in who enrolls for their classes.
When classes begin there are six
Heidi
Jan 11, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilt-fiction
This book follows The Half Stitched Quilt Club. I loved it and was not sure how Wanda E. Brunstetter would be able to follow up that amusing story. The story continues following yet another of Emma's quilt classes. These six students are once again so different from each other and most unimaginable as beginning quilters. Some have come to Emma's class through connections to those in her previous class. There is Jan's bossy busybody neighbor Selma, Carmen who is Paul's sister-in-law coming as a r ...more
Andrea Guy
Even if you haven't read Half Stitched Amish Quilting Club, you can enjoy the sequel, The Tattered Quilt.

Emma is taking on a new class of would be quilters and like the group from the first book, there is an eclectic mix of people in the class, young, old, men, women, Amish and English.

What makes this book such fun to read is how it is told through all the classmates eyes. It reads like a Christian soap opera, if there were such a thing. There's romance between several characters, there are pe
Shelly Itkin
Nov 02, 2013 Shelly Itkin rated it it was amazing
Ms. Brunstetter has a magical way of making her characters come to life and feel like we are involved in the story and this one is no different.

Emma Yoder Miller and her newlywed husband, Lamar are offering a new Quilting Class that consists of six sessions and takes place in their home, they have done this in the past but this is a new one.

Six members of the class are all meeting at the first session and each are entirely different then the others and so are their reasons for joining. Anna’s mo
Sharon Chance
Oct 06, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
The subtitle to this book is "The Return To The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club" and it is a sequel to Wanda Brunstetter's bestselling novel, "The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club." Featuring Emma Yoder Miller, and her new husband, Lamar, this story follows the lives of six new students in Emma's popular quilting classes and these folks are a wildly varied group, and their reasons for joining the quilting class are as varied as they are.

There is Selma, an annoying, know-it-all older woman wh
Rhonda
May 31, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it

My Review

4 STARS

I really enjoyed The Tattered Quilt. I could see where most of the story lines where going but did not even guess where one ended up. It makes me want to make a quilt again. I enjoyed reading this story.
I missed the first book in the series but would not mind going back and reading it.

Emma Yoder Miller is planning another quilting class when her husband suggests they go down to Florida for a vacation. Emma agrees if no one signs up for her class that she has already advertised fo
Lynn's
Aug 23, 2013 Lynn's rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The quilting class continues in Wanda E. Brunstetter's new book, The Tattered Quilt! In the sequel to the Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, Emma Yoder Miller begins a new quilting class with a group of people whose lives could use a good needle and thread. Between a roofer, reporter, widow, a rebellious Amish teen, a guy who's obsessed with fishing and a young woman seeking for someone to repair her grandmothers quilt, Emma and her new husband, Lamar have their hands full.

A friend told about th
Debbie
Aug 06, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"The Tattered Quilt" by Wanda Brunstetter is a 5 star book. If you love Wanda Brunstettler books this will be one of your favorites.

I have to say all the characters from the first book and even Maggie the goat is back in this book and a new Wonderful surprise. I even found out there is going to be a third book in this series.

Emma's and Lamar's students in this year's class are Anna Lambright,Blaine Vickers,Carmen Lopez,Chery Halverson. Terry Cooley and Selma Nash.

Anna Lambright is an 18 year old
Tammy
Jun 17, 2013 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Here we are one year later from the release date from the first book in this series, which I wasn't sure if I liked at first because it wasn't what I expected but ended up enjoying completely. I know that there is not a doubt in my mind that I loved this book.

There are so many hidden things to learn from Emma and her quilting classes, even for us as readers. One of the things that I picked up and has stuck in my mind is that "it's important to remember not to let our anger consume us or cause us
Debora Wilder
Aug 31, 2013 Debora Wilder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
Another amazing book by Wanda E. Brunstetter!

Emma Yoder has now remarried and become Emma Miller. She is still the sweet, gentle woman that teaches lessons about getting along with others while teaching quilting classes. Now she has a wonderful complimentary partner in teaching in the form of her husband Lemar.

Their new class again has a wide variety of students in it. They have joined the class for various reasons. Selma is a belittling busybody who joined the class because it was paid for by s
Cynthia
Jul 31, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
My family and I will be going to Pennsylvania soon and we plan on being in the Amish area for about a week. I thought it would be a great idea to read as many books about the Amish culture and people as I could before our trip. I began with books that were helpful, and eye opening, but until I read Wanda's book, the Tattered Quilt, I don't think that I had gotten into the depth of the Amish beliefs.

This novel gives you the background of the Amish customs and their faith and tells the story of mu
Sian Williams
Aug 14, 2013 Sian Williams rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to see that there was a sequel to The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, which I reviewed last year.

We revisit the home of Emma Yoder, now happily married to Lamar Miller, as they embark upon teaching another group of students how to quilt. Several classes have been taught since we met the would-be quilters in the first book, and we get to catch up with first group by their connections - some obvious and some very much more complex - to the members of this latest group.

I think I
Molly Cline
This was book 2 of this series but you can read it independently. You will get to know the characters better if you read the first book but you won't be lost in the 2nd without having read book 1. As there are new people in this book but it does incorporate other characters from book 1 in this one. After listening to both these books these characters feel like 'friends' to me. And you won't regret the time you put in reading-listening to these books.

These books will leave you with a nice feelin
Tracy Mayer
Jun 23, 2016 Tracy Mayer rated it really liked it
I love Amish books. In this lovely story you meet characters from all walks of the English life who find themselves together in the home of an Amish couple. This gracious couple welcome the English and one teenage Amish girl into their home to teach a quilting class. The story is spun while a beautiful wall hanging is completed. Each part of the quilt coming together also showcases this older couple dishing out wisdom bringing this group closer together. An enjoyable read.
Mayda
Apr 05, 2015 Mayda rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish, christian
Emma Yoder appears to be teaching quilting classes, but in reality, she is teaching life lessons. The people who have signed up for these quilting lessons come with their own set of problems, and takes all of Emma’s skills and caring nature to help this unusually varied group. Each comes with his or her own ideas and reasons for quilting, and it is up to Emma to accomplish the improbable and teach them to quilt while quietly helping to solve their problems.
Melinda
Jul 09, 2014 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Wande E. Brunstetter does a wonderful job with book 2 in the series. Emma has taken out an ad for quilting classes. As in her first book a diverse group of people coming together to learn how to quilt. During this time people find out about themselves and try to figure out how to figure out what is going on in their lives.

Another wonderful written Christian book. Brunstetter does a great job of telling the story of the Amish and Englishers.
  • For Every Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #3)
  • An Amish Cradle: An Amish Cradle Novella
  • The Secret Keeper (Home to Hickory Hollow #4)
  • The Lesson (Stoney Ridge Seasons #3)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2)
  • Annie's Christmas Wish (Quilts of Lancaster County, #4)
  • Hidden Mercies
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • A Home for Lydia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #2)
  • A Cowboy at Heart (The Amish of Apple Grove, #3)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (3 books)
  • The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #1)
  • The Healing Quilt (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #3)