Start by marking “Ghost Swim” as Want to Read:
Ghost Swim

Ghost Swim

Dark and still, the pool waits for Rachel Blanchard. She's about to dive in for an evening swim, but the waters may not be as empty as they appear. Deep within, something is waiting. And it doesn't want to her to leave. Ever.
Published November 24th 2012 by Biting Dog Publications

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Swim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Swim

Zoeytron
Feb 15, 2014 Zoeytron rated it it was ok
I was not able to buy into this one at all, sorry. The plot line was faulty and the story was just too short for it to have a chance to redeem itself.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 10, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Ghost Swim by Sara Brooke
A short thriller with a nice twist and an engaging story line. This could well have been a longer novella but I think in the process it would have lost some of the punch it packs now as a short.
Am not likely to ever go to a public swimming pool after dark again. Ever.
WaAr
Stacy Mar
Jun 09, 2014 Stacy Mar rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good little ghost story.

Was creepy enough to be engaging, though I do wish it had been a bit longer.

Overall, free book, good story, can't really complain!
Aniko Carmean
Feb 28, 2015 Aniko Carmean rated it it was ok
The drains at the bottom of swimming pools frighten me. Like many fears born in childhood, this fear is irrational and persistent. In Night Swim, Brooke captures the essence of that fear: the sensation of something ill-intentioned lurking behind the grate, the certainty a hand will grip your ankle, the precarious nature of being an air-breathing creature submerged in water. If Night Swim had stuck to diving into this fear (oh, yes, that pun is intentional!), it would have been a ...more
Tiffany Apan
Mar 24, 2014 Tiffany Apan rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 (rounding up to a 4)
Sara Brooke's Ghost Swim is a cool ghost story that's great if you want something creepy, but a quick read. It sort of brought me back to some of the old Christopher Pike books I used to read (and still pick up every once in a while) as a kid. The story offers a chilling atmosphere and a pretty compelling main character. I do think this would be cool as a novella where we might delve deeper into the history of the building and the characters. Is it my favorite Sara Brooke
Daniel
Sep 12, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing
First a small warning, as this is a real short story, so don't expect to get your full amount of pages that amazon promises...

The story is well built, with tension that goes growing towards the end and the final part that makes you wonder how someone would still go to swim in the evening in aa big dark pool.

Nicely done, fitted well on a dark rainy evening in September, before going to sleep!

Would have preferred it a bit longer, but that would have been dangerous, as the speed could have suffered
Lucy Pireel
Feb 23, 2013 Lucy Pireel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with a taste for the ghostly things
Ghost Swim by Sarah Brooke

I expected a ghostly story and that was exactly what I got, albeit with an unexpected twist to send me on my way after reading. A very entertaining read and one I will have to read again, just because I liked it that much.
Short but sweet, and it didn’t leave me guessing while it did at the same time. Well balanced and rounded out. Plus it held my attention from start to end.
I will certainly look for other works by this author.
Bob Vincent
Jun 18, 2015 Bob Vincent rated it did not like it
Seriously? The story is a mediocre ghost story, but the real "surprise ending" occurs when the story concludes at less than 70%, because the rest is pages full of advertisements! This, like the upcoming disaster called Windows 10, is a Facebook wannabe, whose primary purpose is to port unwanted advertisements.
Rachel
Apr 21, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Blink and you miss it The set-up for this one was kind of good, but it was really too short to get the full measure of the main character.  It felt, as the main character comments on at one point) an old episode of The Twilight Zone, complete with ending that was more than a little cheesy.  Still, it was enjoyable for the time it took to read.
Julie Powell
Jul 05, 2013 Julie Powell rated it liked it
Although this story was very short, it was well written and certainly chilling and a somewhat unexpected ending. I noticed there were quite a few other stories listed on this read, maybe they'd be better put into one book.
Flamingcrystal Flamingcrystal
An eerie short story, and by using your imagination, it would let you look differently at those drains in your swimming pool. The ending of the story feels a little bit rushed, but I like the author's writing style and would read more books written by her.
Grace
Jan 18, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-authors
I loved this book. The author does a great job at grabbing the reader's undivided attention and putting them in the middle of the story. I know I won't be swimming alone for a long time.

This author made it into my must read author list.
Bethany
Apr 30, 2013 Bethany rated it it was ok
I have a love/hate relationship with short stories. This one grabbed me at first and then the end I felt like I just got a condensed version of a "Twilight Zone-ish" story. Not the best, but certainly not the worst short story I have ever read.
J. Lynne
Aug 05, 2015 J. Lynne rated it it was ok
This short story was okay. The idea was good, but I wanted more creepiness. It felt rushed. I wanted to feel the fear and confusion at the pool. Don't tell the reader that the character is scared. Show us!
Tamara
Oct 01, 2015 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Fine Writing!

The opening line demanded my complete attention ... which the story held straight through to the end. Brooke is a word master to be admired with a deep tale to impart. Pick up a copy of this must-read! You may look at swimming pools differently after this ...
Victoria
Sep 11, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok
This short story was ok. I'm in a Halloween mood so a ghost story hit the spot.. Even though it was pretty basic.
Tom
Feb 17, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
A very good introduction to this author. Well written.I will be searching out more.A great new voice in horror.
M.A. Robbins
Aug 12, 2013 M.A. Robbins rated it really liked it
Great use of atmosphere. The kind of story I like to read and would pay for. I'll be looking for more.
Jessy
Mar 06, 2013 Jessy rated it it was amazing
Creepy good shorty story! I can't wait to read more from this author! Great job on giving me the heebies jeebies!!
Michael
Jan 13, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Brooke has in 'Ghost Swim' an eerie short story set around an indoor swimming pool that ends with a twist that I did not see coming. I'd definitely plan on checking out some of her other works.
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Leslie R. J. Crowley
Leslie R. J. Crowley rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Jennifer L
Jennifer L rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
susan g.conroy
susan g.conroy rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2014
Teena
Jul 25, 2015 Teena rated it did not like it
Could not get passed chapter 2, I couldn't read anymore.
Hildegart
Hildegart rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Rachel Wilson
Rachel Wilson rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Nev Murray
Nev Murray rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dark Curtains
  • From Such Small Things
  • Vermin
  • Forever
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • The Graveyard Speaks
  • Offline
  • Humpty Dumpty
  • The Scarecrow (Solom #1)
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • Bone White
  • House of Justice: A Horror Short Story
  • Blink
  • The Hour of the Time
  • Help! Wanted: Tales of On-The-Job Terror
  • The Children's Hour
  • The Lake and 17 Other Stories
  • Birds of Prey
Sara Brooke is a horror and suspense novelist living in South Florida. A lifelong avid reader of all things scary, Sara's childhood dream was to write horror books that force readers to sleep with their lights on.
Her first novel, Still Lake, was released Spring 2012.
More about Sara Brooke...