Start by marking “The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen

The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Cook from the farmer’s market with inspired vegetarian recipes—many of which are gluten-free and dairy-free—with a French twist, all highlighting seasonal produce.

Beloved ChocolateAndZucchini.com food blogger Clotilde Dusoulier is not a vegetarian. But she has, like many of us, chosen to eat less meat and fish, and is always looking for new ways to cook what looks best at
Published July 2nd 2013 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The French Market Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Market Cookbook

Deb
From Chocolate & Zucchini Blogger Clotilde Dusoulier, a book of seasonal French vegetarian and vegan recipes and tips for shopping for and creating meals with a veg-friendly focus. The book reads much like her blog--friendly, inspiring and like a little trip to Paris from the couch. ;-) I have tagged many dishes to make like Avocado and Radish Mini Tartines, Crunchy Lentil and Watercress Salad,Poor Man's Bouillabaisse (with peas, new potatoes & poached eggs), Shaved Fennel Salad with Pre ...more
Katy
Instructions like "Pop the cardamom pods open with the flat of a chef's knife and grind the seeds finely with a mortar and pestle" ensure that I will never make any of the recipes in this cookbook. Ever.
Laurie
I borrowed this delightful cookbook from the library but have added it to my wish list to buy soon. Some recipes may take more effort and time but so far the result and experience have been worth it. I made the ratatouille tian with vegetables I purchased that morning from a farmers market and it was amazing!

Some vegetarian cookbooks rely heavily on cheese but thankfully this is not one of them. The book is divided into seasons and there are gorgeous photographs of almost every recipe. The step
Beth
Beautiful food photography and many tempting vegetarian recipes from the blogger behind chocolateandzucchini.com. The book is broken into 4 sections one for each season. Each season features the types of produce that are naturally ready to be harvested in each season and recipes that revolve around those ingredients.

Spring: asparagus, artichokes, beets, carrots, dandelions, fava beans, garlic, green peas, kohlrabi, lettuce, mache, morels, new potatoes, onions, radishes, rhubarb, scallions, sorre
LemontreeLime
Simply brilliant. I must own this one soon. This is the kind of cookbook that makes me want to make everything in it. An odd mix of tweaks with veggies that makes me eager to try them. Will have to check out more of Dusoulier's books soon.
Nancy
A charming cookbook to read! Many of the recipes are not very complicated & while some require more intense preparation, all are within reach of the amateur home cook. Some of the ingredients may be harder to find in the USA, especially in my location in the Midwest, but there are plenty of options with easily obtained ingredients. I especially appreciate the background stories and the "Pantry Gems". For me there was just the right amount of photographs to spark my interest, yet not take up ...more
Lisa Lemus
Wonderful recipe ideas and photos inspired by a more provencial France. My only gripe is that the shortbreads and crusts really seem to work only with butter. I did try one of the crust with the suggested vegan ingredients, but it did not really seem like those were actually tested, just added in as an afterthought to reach the vegan market.
Samantha
Still going through this book, have made several recipes some better than others. Love the carrot soup, and how easy it is to convert many of the recipes to vegan!

Any hints for the pumpkin walnut savoury bread? Mine turned out very bland.
Elizabeth Minchilli
I loved the simplicity of turning French market produce into delicious and healthy meals. The recipes are easy to follow and all of the dishes i've made so far have turned out perfectly. I also love the design and photography.
Katie
Beautiful

Beautiful, delicious recipes. Wish I didn't live in dessert,
Where there is no produce. As soon as I move to a greener area I am buying this book!
Shannon
Beautiful food photography combined with stories of French/Parisian food traditions and preparation make this a lovely little cookbook. The recipes range from easy to advanced. Of those I tried some were delicious, others were food fails but each recipe inspired me to grow more in my garden, experiment and savor. What more can you ask for.
Suzanne
I want to make all the things in this book immediately. I will buy this one. I like the sidebar highlights that discussed the ingredients featured in the recipe.
Heather
While the pictures are gorgeous and colorful, I was not intrigued by any of the recipes enough to bookmark them.
Heidi
for a vegetarian cookbook, prtty good, I myself am not going meatless so there were some good side dish ideas
Cherie
A- This book is lovely and gorgeous; lots of wonderful recipes, arranged by season. Some good ideas for my CSA.
BowbytheBay
I've found some tasty recipes in here that I like quite a bit. Also, some unusual ones like pickled chard stems. They were really good!

I like that it is vegetarian and that it is organized by season. My current favorite cookbook does the same: Mark Bittman's "Kitchen Express."

However, what I have also discovered is that a lot of the recipes are pretty bland. I've used the freshest produce etc so that is not the problem. They are just too bland for my taste. So, I am glad I checked this out from
Liisa
I like the main idea behind this book, seasonal vegetarian, french inspired food. I've made a number of recipes so far and they've worked quite well. I think some of her instructions could be clearer.
Rachel
This cookbook was a nice seasonal approach to cooking vegetarian/vegan recipes from a French background. I will admit that I have never seen a vegetarian French cookbook before, as I always think of French cooking as full of cream, cheese and meat, so this collection of recipes was a bit of a revelation to me. I love that nearly every recipe has a gorgeous photo to with it. I would love to try the Cauliflower Gratin with Turmeric and Hazelnuts, Yogurt Mousse with Raspberries and Lemon Verbena Sy ...more
Nancy
This cookbook makes we want to move to France and cook and bake....... Love it!
Grace
I love the idea of this cookbook and it is very attractively photographed and designed. Unfortunately, only 1 of the 4 or 5 recipes I tried was excellent (Quiche with mushrooms and chives.) The rest were complicated to prepare without the payout of a great dish. The author seems to do better with more traditional French food than healthy vegetarian weeknight stapes.
Maree
I love French food, not the creamy sauced meaty kind, but the fresh gardened feel like nature kind. Actually, the kind that's in this book. Ms Clotilde chapters recipes by season, while fronting each with a list of seasonal vegetables and fruits. Love that. The cuisine is light, fresh, new, and French. All doable for the home chef. Perfect.
Jane
I wanted to love this more than I did. I made a handful of things, some of which were good, but none of which were really good. The vegetable bouillabase was probably the only one I'd make again (it would be great in winter). It's a very pretty book, though, and I'll probably go back to it to try something else eventually!
Catherine Bateson
I have followed Dusoulier's blog and enjoy her writing. I downloaded this book in Paris and the recipes make me long for an oven. Great to have a vegetarian cookbook in a city of so much meat!
Kristina
Didn't get too many recipes that I would like to try, but the stories before each recipe were very enjoyable. As were the photographs throughout the entire book.
Lisa Urso
An excellent book if you want to learn how to cook seasonally. Gorgeous photos, and the recipes don't seem to complicated.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Lovely little volume with beautiful photos and snippets of life and cooking in Paris.
Vegetarian recipese with some dairy free and gluten free options.
Catherine Woodman
The recipes in the book are well put together, and seasonally arranged--but there are just too few of them for this to be a really useful cookbook
Joan
I love Clotilde's blog. This book is charming and full of delicious dishes that sound relatively simple for experienced cooks.
Beka
Incredible pictures, nice writing, and an enjoyable format. I just didn't find anything particularly called to me.
Candace Jensen
Clear, simple recipes that are flavorful and fun. It sounds too good to be true, but we love it.
  • The Little Paris Kitchen
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • River Cottage Veg Every Day!
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
Clotilde Dusoulier is a Parisian author and blogger who lives in Montmartre and shares her passion for all things food-related -- thoughts, recipes, musings, cookbook acquisitions, quirky ingredients, nifty tools, restaurant experiences, ideas, and inspirations.
More about Clotilde Dusoulier...
Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris Edible French: Tasty Expressions and Cultural Bites The Art of French Baking I Know How to Cook

“The combination of radish, butter, salt, and bread seems like it can’t be improved upon, except perhaps if you replace the butter with avocado, which I think of as vegetable butter.” 0 likes