Start by marking “Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)

Inferno (Robert Langdon #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  273,262 Ratings  ·  29,812 Reviews
Grca badge winner
In his international blockbusters The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown masterfully fused history, art, codes, and symbols. In this riveting new thriller, Brown returns to his element and has crafted his highest-stakes novel to date.

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered

Hardcover, First Edition, 461 pages
Published May 14th 2013 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Inferno, please sign up.

Titan It was an extremely intriguing book. I was glued to it till the end and almost burnt my eyes out trying to read it in one day. It's a masterpiece.
Avinash Anand The protagonist is the only recurring character in Brown's books. So unless you really want to KNOW the Harvard symbologist, doesn't really matter if…moreThe protagonist is the only recurring character in Brown's books. So unless you really want to KNOW the Harvard symbologist, doesn't really matter if you read the previous ones but I do recommend you to read the previous books if you ever get time.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
105th out of 2,461 books — 12,429 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesInferno by Dan BrownAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled HosseiniThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
2013 NY Times Best-Sellers - Fiction
3rd out of 150 books — 614 voters

More lists with this book...

Elius
Dec 03, 2013 Elius rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elius by: Meem
Shelves: thriller, 2013-books
Ashley
Jan 12, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
I guess this will fulfill my yearly quota for Mickey Mouse watch-clad academics who solve ancient conspiracy filled puzzles.

- - -

Updated 5/31: Sometimes, I feel like Dan Brown is my nemesis.

In interviews, he comes off as a smart, earnest guy (if a bit of an academic dweeb*) who has an obsession for puzzles, old art and conspiracy theories, but also as a guy who has no idea how to laugh at himself. He seems to take his own work very seriously, and gets his feelings hurt by even the eensiest teen
Jennifer Fidler
Jun 05, 2013 Jennifer Fidler rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiftyfifty-me
Instead of reading any more Dan Brown books, I'm just going to complete the following "Mad Lib" with my sister. Feel free to play along.

UNTITLED DAN BROWN BOOK MAD LIB

5) title given to a respected educator or professional _____________________
6) first name ___________________________
7) pretentious last name (bo
Sarah (Presto agitato)
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate. Or something.

dante_zpsd126c31a
Statue of Dante by Enrico Pazzi, Piazza Santa Croce, Florence

When I took this picture a couple of months ago, I thought Dante’s dour expression must be because he was pondering the horrors of hell. Now I think it’s because he was dwelling on the ignominy of having his masterpiece turned into this Dan Brown novel.

By the fourth book in the series, the formula has been well-established: Robert Langdon, the intrepid Harvard professor and “symbolo
Deska
Dec 03, 2013 Deska rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Thou personally I think it's a bit different than the other previous three books. The other three books have similarities in having a story plot that creating a really blur line between history and fiction. But in this fourth book, the history is like the inspiration of the fiction story, but I still liked it and gave it 3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed the thrill and excitement of Langdon adventure. And as a former international security student, I have an understanding re
Willow
Jan 11, 2014 Willow rated it it was ok
This is my first Dan Brown book and what can I say...it pretty much sucked.

I was kind of shocked. Yes, I had read a lot of disparaging comments about Brown’s writing, but I pushed them aside, figuring his books must be at least entertaining. Otherwise why would he be so popular? And I rather like cheesy books. This one had a condescending tone though that grated on my nerves and sapped all the fun right out of the story. It was a tedious read.

Brown’s characters are boring. There’s no depth or
Jane
Aug 13, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, b3r
CHAPTER 1

Obscure reviewer Jane Steen sat in her modest study in cozy suburban Illinois and stared with horror at the object she held in her hands. Measuring nine-and-a-half by six-and-a-quarter by one-and-a-half inches, the object was encased in a shiny substance the overweight reviewer knew to be plastic.

A book of some kind.

To the little known reader’s brilliant mind and eidetic memory, identifying the book was a simple task. The labels affixed to the spine proclaimed its origin: the library. I
Mohammed Arabey
May 24, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the most Dangerous, Different trip with Robert Langdon
An Orwellian hell of a read

This time it start right in the middle of A real Inferno
Waking up in Florence far from home,not knowing how he even got here

Waking up with a head wound and of a hellish nightmare, of inferno to come
And by trying to solve the codes and puzzles of his chaotic situation , he find out that he must travel again...and again

Although authorities and assissants hired by mysterious 'Consortium' trying to catch hi
Mohammed Arabey
الأمر خطير هذه المرة ,تخيل إنك صحوت مفزوعا من كابوس جهنمي

لتجد نفسك في بلد أخر, ويومان مُسحا من ذاكرتك

بل ويجب أن تسابق الزمن والسفر فرارا لوقف جحيم حقيقي

صدقني الأمر أخطر والوقت ضيق فلن أبدأ الريفيو زي شفرة دافنشي و ملائكة وشياطين و الرمز المفقود كالعادة وأقول أن الرواية دي لو حابب تتمتع وانت بتقرأها ليها حل من اتنين
Illustrated Edition أن تقرأ النسخة المصورة

أو وقت القراءة تفتح جوجل صور للبحث عن كل عمل فني مذكور, وكل مبني وميدان في فلورنسا, فينيسيا وتركيا زاره لانجدون او ذكره في الرواية

لا وقت ف
Parvez
Jun 18, 2013 Parvez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thrillers or Mystery readers
June 18, 2013
This book has Dan Brown written all over it. Just like the previous stories in this series, the entire book is about 24 hour long mystery/thriller. Robert Langdon wakes up at a hospital with no recollection of how he got there and as he starts to figure out what's going on, he starts getting deeper into a dangerous event that is about to take place. From the very first page, a chain of events starts to take place at a very fast pace.

Loved reading the book, just like Robert Langdon's

لم أخمن ما سيقوم به خصوصا بما يتعلق بسيينا

وهذه الم
David Lafferty
Jun 01, 2013 David Lafferty rated it liked it
I've spent the past few years writing a book on Inferno, immersing myself in Dante's Commedia, and was looking forward to a fun read. While the book is decent it's still a disappointment. Despite having quite a few issues with Da Vinci Code, it was nevertheless a fun trip through the world of art and puzzle solving. Unfortunately Inferno reads more like a movie treatment with some factoids thrown in. At times it reminded me of the old Batman episodes with the caped crusader pulling off an implau ...more
Komal
Dec 28, 2014 Komal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

To be very honest, I had a lot of expectations from this book and Dan Brown does not disappoint. I'm not entirely happy with the book; the second half of the book lacked certain things and was not quite as interesting as the first part. The research work for this book is done very painstakingly and it shows. 4.5 stars.
Desiree
I considered giving this two stars but then I realized there really wasn't anything I liked about it. It was so boring and it took me more than a week to get through. I know it's too much to ask that Dan Brown scale the heights of Angels & Demons or even The Da Vinci Code once again but I'm somewhat baffled as to how his writing has taken a turn for the worse and it started with that blasted The Lost Symbol.

There's nothing much to say about this to be honest. The plot was kind of intriguing
Jason
May 13, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
To all the folks who rate a book before they've read it, skewing the ratings for everyone...go to Amazon with all the other flamers. Leave our ratings alone.
Aaron
May 27, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aaron turned on his computer and opened it to Goodreads.com, a widely used website for books. It was time. He looked around to be sure he was alone, and started writing ... his review of Dan Brown's Inferno.

CHAPTER 253

Aaron looked at the screen, wondering how best to approach the review. He had to be quick about it.

"There's no time!" he shouted even though no one else was around.

They could be here at any minute, and he had to hurry. He had to make sure he went fast, because of the time constrain
Will Byrnes
Dec 03, 2013 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it
Updated - July 17, 2013 - added a link re Brunelleschi

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
or
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here
Doré, Gate of Hell
Dante and Virgil approach the entrance to Hell
From the WorldofDante.org

The heat is on. There is, of course, a deadline. A mad scientist of a Dante super-fan, who takes theatrical delight in referring to himself as The Shade, would like to bring about a great renaissance for humanity, a reawakening similar to the one that occurred following the Black Plague. As wit
Metalligazza
i think amazon and Google play need to sort out pricing on ebooks they are both asking 8.99 ,with no overheads, no printing costs no,logistics and all they have to do is store it on a server and let customer's download it. why am I kicking off you might ask yourself well its quite simply because i have just ordered the hard back copy from asda.co.uk for 9.00 so for 1 penny I get real paper real hard cover and delivery to my front door on day of release. and they say ebooks are the future, not at ...more
Namratha
May 21, 2013 Namratha rated it did not like it
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"
~ Dante's Divine Comedy.

(Oh, Mr.Brown...the irony and the accuracy)
----------------------------------------------------

The last Dan Brown novel that I recall reading and enjoying to the hilt was Angels & Demons. So, when I proudly hefted his new tome INFERNO home from the book store, I was all:

And then, barely twenty pages had passed by and my buoyant emotions pretty much went The Little Mermaid Way:

The author has decided to morph into a dry-as-day-ol
Connie
Dec 04, 2013 Connie rated it did not like it
Making this as read just so I can do a stupid review....I made it all the way to 37% I deserve a medal.....

okay....I just can't finish it....it started with this paragraph at about 12%

"She knew it was probably just the adrenaline, but she found herself strangely attracted to the American professor. In addition to his being handsome, he seemed to possess a sincerely good heart. In some distant, alternate life, Robert Langdon might even be someone she could be with."

From then on all I could think
Rachel (BAVR)
Warning: If something in my review is marked with a spoiler tag, it really is a spoiler. I don't want to be the reason that a die-hard fan reads a spoiler and has the whole book ruined for him/her. So if that kind of thing matters to you, DON'T CLICK ON THE SPOILERS.

If nothing else, Dan Brown's Inferno reminded me that the interrobang (?!) is a thing. Also, why use one ellipsis ... when you can use ... A MILLION?!

I can't take this book seriously. It took me over a month to read it, and most of
Carly
Aug 15, 2014 Carly rated it it was amazing
I actually want to read this book so badly, it hurts!
I am so excited- when I heard that Dan Brown was releasing a new book, I screamed so loud that another girl on my floor ran into my room and thought I was getting attacked!
Brown is probably my top favourite author and I have loved each book that stars Robert as the main character. I loved 'The Lost Symbol' so much!! I have really high hopes for this next one :)

Update:
Now that I have finished the book, I can say that it was a pure joy to read.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Wow, this was an awful book. I will say that Dan Brown has improved his writing craft, as there seems to be better flow and not so many grammatical errors, but just barely. He still switches tenses, starting out nearly every chapter with a big, ugly blob of text about some historical landmark that may or may not have bearing on the plot.

The characters are just bare outlines of people, like a grown-up coloring book, who somehow managed to be the stupidest, most pretentious, most OVE
Traci
May 20, 2013 Traci rated it it was ok
The only reason I read this book is because of the subject matter. You see, though the apparent god of all things, Robert Langdon, professes to be a Dante scholar (even though he didn't get the clue bat hitting him repeatedly on the head until almost 100 pages into the book), I actually enjoy The Divine Comedy and have read it every year since I was 12. (A lady never reveals her age, but I'm turning 27 this year.) I own three translations of it and one of The Aeneid, just for the Virgil connecti ...more
Ramkishan Nekkanti
May 18, 2013 Ramkishan Nekkanti rated it liked it
Compared wid his previous offerings, definitely lacklustre (better than the lost symbol..though that doesnt amount to much) The author i felt wasnt able to resist dumping all his research into the book without any form of culling. All the random interesting nuggets and facts which made his previous books bestsellers were fascinating because they were very much a part of the ongoing story and seemed like a plausible thought-train in Robert langdon's mind. Inferno however doles out information by ...more
Stepheny
3.5

I’ve compiled a list for my review.

Why it’s perfectly acceptable to compare Dan Brown novels with one night stands :

1.) The decision to pick up a Dan Brown book or a one night hookup comes down to the same thing- instant gratification. You pick it up knowing you’re going on a wild ride!

2.) Waking up and seeing a Dan Brown book on your night stand almost makes you feel like you need a shower more than the morning after getting some strange. (I recommend a shower in both instances.)

3.) There’
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Jul 22, 2015 (9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

I did a buddy read for this one with my dearest beloved Alex! :D

Dan Brown is without a doubt one of the best writers of action thriller mystery stories in today's literature. Many years ago with his novel Da Vinci Code he took the world by storm and he became one of the most famous writers in the world. Back then I read most of his novels and I enjoyed them immensely. I have been waiting for years for him to write another book so that I would be able to get lost into his world again.

Dan Brown is
Janet
Apr 03, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME book.

I read a galley proof back in January that was full of errors, missing sections and didn't have the ending ... so of course I was drooling about the book coming out as I had read part of the book, it was AWESOME and couldn't wait to "finish up reading it".

I know how "it" (aka the rating of books) works ... don't treat me like a moron. Geez Louise I cannot believe I have three people ragging on me to the point where I have to tell my entire life story as they got pissy on the detail
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
8/13/2014: Oh yay. It's being turned into a movie. *rolly eyes*

Fans of this series have been waiting 4 years for the next installment. Yes, The Lost Symbol came out in 2009. Unfortunately, this does not read like he spent the full 4 years invested in making sure this was a masterpiece (he actually claims in an interview he spent 3 years researching this novel. *cough*bullshit*cough*). Inferno consists of a horribly muddled and dramatic plot, twists in the story that don't even make sense and a w
Philtrum
May 19, 2013 Philtrum rated it really liked it
I can’t imagine many readers would approach this novel with an open mind. This is Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code, seller of more than 200 million books. Which means one in 35 people has bought a Dan Brown book.

If you’ve enjoyed the previous books featuring Harvard art history professor (and “symbologist”) Robert Langdon then you will find much to treasure here as it’s very much more of the same.

This time – over the familiar 24-hour- period – after waking up in a hospital bed in Florence
  • The Columbus Affair
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • Rasputin's Shadow (Templar, #4)
  • Altar of Bones
  • Ghost Ship (NUMA Files, #12)
  • The Other Rembrandt
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Whole Truth (A. Shaw, #1)
  • The Sacred Bones
Dan Brown is the author of numerous #1 bestselling novels, including The Da Vinci Code, which has become one of the best selling novels of all time as well as the subject of intellectual debate among readers and scholars. Brown’s novels are published in 52 languages around the world with 200 million copies in print.

In 2005, Brown was named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World by TIM
More about Dan Brown...

Robert Langdon (4 books)
  • Angels & Demons  (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)

“The decisions of our past are the architects of our present.” 483 likes
“Nothing is more creative... nor destructive... than a brilliant mind with a purpose.” 469 likes