The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)

The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  150 reviews
Torn between two worlds.
Torn between two lives.

McKenzie Lewis’s ability to read the shadows has put her—and …those she loves—in harm’s way again and again. The violence must end, but will the cost of peace be more devastating than anyone ever imagined?

After ten years of turmoil, the life McKenzie has always longed for may finally be within her grasp. No one is swinging a s...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published December 31st 2013 by Ace

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
The Premise:

McKenzie has "the sight" meaning she can see Fae. She is also a Shadow Reader who's able to see where Fae fissure(transport) to.

She used that ability for ten years helping the King...and helping Kyol who she fell in love with and thought he loved her. But the King forbade human/Fae relationships.

A war started and the Rebels kidnapped McKenzie...and that's where she met Aren and Lena, who's now the unconfirmed Queen.

In the last book, McKenzie and Kyol have life bonded and that mak...more
Naomi Lahn
The Sharpest Blade was awesome. Loved it. I'm truly sad that it's over, I can't believe there will be no more McKenzie and Aren and Kyol :(
Maybe Sandy will write a short story? *sigh*

Why the 4 stars: I wasn't happy with the ending. Sure it's a great ending but it was TOO FAST. Toward the end everything went full speed. I didn't have time to enjoy any of it. I felt like Sandy should have taken more time to write the end. But that's my opinion.
For me, personally, I'd have loved an epilogue. That

mich

1.5 stars. I wish I had just stopped after The Shadow Reader.

This book started off well for me. I loved that I was almost immediately thrown into some fast-paced, tension-filled moments. I thought if the whole book was going to keep me on my toes like that, I was in for a wild awesome ride.

The ride actually ended up sucking. Things slowed down very quickly and then all those old familiar plot elements took over: more of Lena and fae court politics, more of the remnants, the serum, the vigilantes...more
Alexandria

BEWARE! SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Allow me to begin by simply stating that this book pissed me off. I honestly received a few strange looks from family, friends, and complete strangers because I would break out into random fits of anger and spout shit like....
description

It simply pissed me off that much.

Everything about this book was a cluster fuck. I lost all respect for the characters (McKenzie and Aren being the main two). And the story, for a last installment, was extremely lacking. The writing was mediocre,...more
Renee Sweet
I had the opportunity to read an early copy of the final book in this excellent series and it is a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. Sandy does a great job of tying up all the plot treads from THE SHADOW READER and THE SHATTERED DARK into a thrilling, heart-pounding final battle for control of the Realm. The love triangle is masterfully wrapped up as well -- I loved the ending. Great read. I can't wait to see what Sandy does next!
Melliane
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was waiting for the release of this book since the end of the second volume. It must be said that many things happened there and we could only wait to see what would happen now. Then adding to that, this third volume closes the trilogy of the adventures of McKenzie. We can therefore only be curious to see what the author had in store for us in this last volume.

Our young heroine can finally lead a normal life in her world as she had always wanted, except tha...more
Susana
Arc provided by Penguin Group (USA)through Netgalley

I loved the first book of this series. The world building and Mckenzie's powers were sketchy at best, but even so, i liked it. Mainly because the characters and the story, were so promising.

There's was a love triangle. But for once, i thought it was feasible. And then i didn't had complains about the way the author dealt with it.
In fact, it was perfectly done.

In the second book, things went downhill. The plot didn't pick up. Things became bo...more
Jamie
**Slight spoilers, especially for the previous books in this series. **

I don't say this lightly. I've thought long and hard. After reading this series, I can honestly say that Aren can now join Terrible, Bones and Barrons in my Book Boyfriend Hall of Fame. It's true. Aren has to be one of my most favorite male heroes in urban fantasy and I am bereft that this is the last time we will see this handsome, cunning, roguish fae.

Aren. I could go on about him for days. What makes him so appealing is th...more
Kira
1.5 stars… I don't hate it, but I'm not happy. There are spoilers in this review.

The shelving on this book pretty much says it all.

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with My Little Pony. Best toy ever made. I only had a couple, but I loved them. My neighbor down the street had like 50. Every color of the rainbow. She even had the water ponies that were like mermaids. Only, she never played with them. Or if she did, it was just to brush their hair or whatever. I always felt like, "if you don't kno...more
Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥
Dec 28, 2013 Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who hate wishy-washy heroines
So this was the final installment of this amazing series, and it was a great way to go. This series has always been non-stop action and thrills, with dozens of characters and constant changing of settings. So much is going on that it feels like an Urban Fantasy. But with the amount of romance in it, it also feels like a PNR.

I love McKenzie as a heroine. She held her own against the fae. She couldnt beat them in a fight, but she could keep her wits about her, and she was never afraid to do what s...more
Cristina (Bibliophile Mystery)
**WARNING! Possible minor spoilers from volumes 1 and 2**

My thoughts: I’m certain that all my reader friends and all my older blog followers know that I’ve been fangirling over The Shadow Reader (and Sandy) since the first day of 2012. Yep! That’s how I’ve spent my New Year’s Day back then, reading the first book in this amazing series. And I couldn’t stop, It was SO, SO good!

Now, after reading the ARC of the third and final book and taking some time to let it sink in, I’m able to share my thoug...more
Just Me
Jan 07, 2013 Just Me marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbrn
Ugh, what is worse? The last book in the series (please tell me I'm wrong) or the January 2014 date?

Edit 5/25/13: Okay, it now says December 31, 2013, which is pretty much the same thing. Also, it has a cover now. I like the fact that it's the same cover model.

I still hate waiting.
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Feb 10, 2014 Stacia (out of inspiration) marked it as return-to-later
Arc provided from the publisher. Publication date 12/31/2013.
VampireNovelFan
The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3) by Sandy Williams

I read the first Shadow Reader novel a couple of years ago, but due to the supposed cliffhanger nature of the second book I decided to hold off on continuing the series until it was completed. After a back-to-back read I don’t feel either novel was as strong as the original.

I do appreciate the world that Sandy Williams creates and how it intertwines and conflicts with the human world. The fae culture is very developed and unique in this se...more
Alisa
*Received an ARC

Eeeeeeeek. I've loved this series since I picked up the first book when it initially came out. The second book pissed me off. This one, this one was just a fantastic and sad ending to the series.

Sosch! Why?! Why?!
(view spoiler)

I'm not 100% happy wit...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm sad that Sandy Williams' Shadow Reader trilogy has come to an end but boy, talk about going out with a bang! And, I'm glad that the author didn't try to milk more books out of this series because the result is three absolutely stellar installments instead of seven+ so-so ones. The story starts off a little on the slow side, McKenzie is finally getting the "normal" life that she's always wanted but after three long, uneventful weeks she can't help but jump on the first...more
Sabrina
I think that with this review I can kiss any future galleys goodbye.
Sorry if I can't be all hearts and kisses, I honestly thought I would have liked this one better.
Ah, well… here we go.

I think that the main issue I have with this series is its intended marketing segment. The covers clearly suggest an adult heroine, and the synopses hint at adult topics; both are widely misleading, and these books would be more suited to a YA/NA audience.

The lexicon is not overly explicit (there are just a few...more
Kt
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

It is always so hard to say goodbye to a much loved series so I typically go into a a final book with much trepidation, and THE SHARPEST BLADE was no exception. That being said, I was largely happy with the way things turned out, minus the very rushed ending. I'm a big advocate for epilogues, and I definitely feel like this would have been one of the books that would have largely benefited from one. Don't get me wrong, I was very satisfied w...more
AH
Initial Thoughts: In a way, I am sad that this series is ending. I enjoyed being in McKenzie's world - the human world and the fae realm. McKenzie finally makes up her mind between the two fae men in her life. It was a bit difficult being in her head as she was constantly agonizing over her choice and the feelings of the other. Luckily, there was plenty of swashbuckling action as the fae battled for control of the Realm with the false blood trying to steal the crown.

The Review:
The Sharpest Blad...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Paranormal Romance
*Rating* 4.0

*MY Thoughts*

Sandy Williams ends her Shadow Reader trilogy with the release of The Sharpest Blade. For McKenzie Lewis and her ability to read the shadows of the fae, life hasn't exactly been easy. She spent 10 years working for the former King of the Realm Atroth, before joining the rebel faction under Lena, and Aren, and finding herself conflicted between her love for Kyol, as well as Aren.

The Sharpest Blade opens with McKenzie having found her way back to...more
Suzanne

This is a fantastic series and I loved how it ended. But my happiness at the end was tinged with sadness, because unfortunately, some characters that I'd grown to really like, were lost in the battle for the Realm at the end.

I love the world that Sandy has created in these books, and I'm going to really miss these characters now. I can't wait to do a re-read of this series. Hopefully I'll manage to get it in this year :)
Ronda
Deep breath.... Words escape me! I haven't read a book that has had this effect on me in such a long time... This book, this trilogy is stunning, amazing, breath catching and gut wrenching - sometimes all at once, other times bit by slow debilitating bit!!!

I am deeply saddened to reach the ending of these books but I have to say it is a trilogy that will remain with me for a very long time and I know for a fact they will reach my re-read pile - on more than one occasion.

I have to tip my hat to S...more
Lucinda
The exceptional ending to the most thrilling trilogy i have read this year!

Having already read book 1 and 2 of the Shadow Reader trilogy {the shadow reader & the shattered dark}, i was eagerly awaiting with much anticipation the conclusion to this addictive series!

I adore urban fantasy and love how this story contains all those qualities which you expect to find; from the gutsy heroine to the non-stop, fast-paced action and shocking twists in the tale. I was glued to the pages throughout los...more
Shieka( Doctor's Notes)
I haven't read any of this series before starting with this one but I loved the author's writing style as she still made it easy for me to follow along and figure out what was going on. I have to say I love anything involving the fae and this book was no exception.I loved the character of McKenzie as she was a fierce character even though she was a mere human dealing in the fae world. I liked that McKenzie wanted a normal life but was also loyal to her friends so when they needed help she didn't...more
Subhashini ~ CODE NAME ~ Preethi
WARNING!SPOILERS AHEAD!

5 WONDERFUL STARS!
I can't believe this trilogy is over. Not enough! This world had a lot of scope. May be a spin-off series with Kyol or Lorn?(view spoiler)

Sandy Williams writing style is simply excellent. The narrative is very tight and crisp. Usually authors take an easy way out with love triangles by either killing a character, or conveniently closing one...more
Ornella (Nyx)
If you have been keeping up with this trilogy you are probably salivating at the chance to finally find out what the hell is going to happen between McKenzie, Kyol and Aren. The constant back and forth of McKenzie's decisions was driving me insane, and the infuriating and frustrating part is that I understood her so I couldn't really blame her all that much for it. Of course this didn't mean that I had to like, cause I didn't. I wanted her to pick already and just stick to it cause her waffling...more
Angie
I'm a little disappointed by the end of this series. The main character was annoying as hell here, always whining, focused on her own feelings or those of the others. She is too empathic and it spoils the plot because anything else seems minimized to just a background. I expected more than a never ending love triangle which leads nowhere, when there is so much at stake in the kingdom.
Chris
2.5 stars. What happened!?! As I read the last few pages of this book, I felt gypped. The false-blood and the remnants are causing trouble, respectively. There's the (insert spoiler from second book), McKenzie's still looking/waiting for her friend. Aren, McKenzie, Kyol. It took me a longer time to finish this book. It seemed nothing really happened in the first half. This leads me to think they'd should have made this series a duology and edited the second and third books for a tighter story ar...more
Heather
This wasn't the most disappointing end to a trilogy I've ever read, but it wasn't the strongest either. Had I been enthralled with this series, I imagine I would have been disappointed. Ultimately, this trilogy had always been mindless fluff (for me) and as such, lived up to that expectation throughout each book.
Ruby Slippers
The ending just felt so rushed and so blah. I thought there would be more consequences for certain things from the last book and it didn't really go anywhere. Disappointed.
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Sunroper (Goddesses Rising, #3)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Blood Politics (Blood Destiny, #4)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Vengeance Borne (Sentry of Evil, #1)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Hell Bent (Broken Magic, #1)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • The Grendel Affair (SPI Files, #1)
  • Redemption (A Lacey Hannigan Novel)
  • Kept (Coveted, #2)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Cursed By Destiny (Weird Girls, #3)
  • Darklove (Dark Ink Chronicles, #5)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
Sandy Williams graduated from Texas A&M University with degrees in political science and history. She worked as a librarian until her husband whisked her off to London on an extended business trip. Now, she’s back in Texas, writing full time and moonlighting as a librarian. Visit her on the web at www.sandy-williams.com.
More about Sandy Williams...
The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1) The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)

“...between two rapid beats of my heart, someone else's breaks.” 6 likes