Start by marking “Downside Up” as Want to Read:
Downside Up

Downside Up

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ronnie is totally bored. She lives in a crap, boring town with her crap, boring family, and all she wants is to escape and have the kind of life she reads about in magazines. Sometimes Ronnie makes stuff up, just to keep things interesting. Not lies, exactly, more like massive, outrageous, whopping great fibs. The thing is, people have stopped believing anything she says - ...more
Published July 4th 2013 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Downside Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downside Up

Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyAcid by Emma PassGeek Girl by Holly SmaleDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
120th out of 165 books — 328 voters

More lists with this book...

Brooke Walker
Sep 24, 2013 Brooke Walker rated it it was ok
I decided to read the book "Downside Up" because my mum got it for me from the library. It's about a girl called Ronnie who is bored of her life so she creates a fake reality in her head about glamorous singer "Ronnie Runaway" and ends up being transported into her world - or so she thinks.

This book fits into the category, "A novel written by a New Zealander" because Hayley was born here (but moved away.) I enjoyed the book but I don't really read many from New Zealanders, so this was a first.

M
Jenni
Jul 15, 2014 Jenni rated it it was ok
This was just another, typical girly-girl read with only the problems that the author thinks that tens go through. It's one of those books that if an adult ever picked it up, they would think that all young adult or teen readers are flimsy creatures with no sense of reality.
Another major thing that annoyed me with this book, as my book is a paperback, you had to turn it around twice and I couldn't find the right page it told me to go to. This unfortunately ended up with me reading the parts I wa
Luna
Jul 24, 2013 Luna rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Firstly – So much fun!
Downside Up is the first book by Hayley Long I’ve read but it won’t be the last.

Ronnie is not happy, her father abandoned his family for someone else and hasn’t been heard from. Since then Ronnie has stopped caring. She struggles out of bed in the morning and when she does get to school she gets into trouble. Life in her imagination is just so much better so Ronnie retreats there.

I couldn’t put this book down until I’d finished it. Ronnie is one of those characters you can’
Chloe Bird
Well where do I start with this book??? It was definitely a different read to what I usually read. Not that that was a bad thing! Basically I won't tell you why it was interesting to read just be ready to read in all directions - that's all I say!

Booklover6
Apr 04, 2014 Booklover6 rated it really liked it
4 stars instead of 5, only because the character was a bit young for me (I like reading about teens my age or older for some reason!). But I loved the layout of the book, how you had to turn it different ways etc!
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
3.5 light, funny read. The reading experience was pretty hilarious. Got some funny looks reading this upside down on the way to school :P
Anika
I am a huge fan of Hayley Long and her lottie Biggs Series ,I would almost read anything by her anyday.I was extremely excited about this novel because Hayley has the most quirky and whimiscal homour in the whole world.But,somehow this one didn't really click to me like rest of her work.

I loved Ronnie, her brain is pretty messed up place plus,she made me edgy as an eggshell.The best part of the stories by hayley is awesometastic and hilarious diagrams and nutsy text themes they have to offer,w
Rachael
I was put off by the unusual way it was printed. But, once I relaxed, I found it was a bit fun.
Cute story, nice message.
Toughnandi
Dec 13, 2014 Toughnandi rated it did not like it
didn't like the storyline ,boring
Alex
Nov 01, 2015 Alex rated it it was ok
This book was good, and confusing at times. I suppose that's purposeful but honestly at times I had no idea what was going on. I think there are some deep meanings within this book, but they are skipped over with distractions like cute Russian boys or bumper cars or family troubles. The messages are good but very small in a large see of useless plot. But I might be being harsh. It was better than I thought it would be.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Jan 27, 2015 Kirsty (overflowing library) rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
Such a fun read. I really enjoyed and devoured it in one sitting. Ronnie is such a fun character and I love how the text size is used to put across her emotions as the story plays out. Fab stuff
Thelilyfy
Sep 28, 2013 Thelilyfy rated it really liked it
Hayley Long is an author to watch out for. Love her books :)
Eiko
Eiko is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
anony-mouse
anony-mouse rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Lauryn
Lauryn marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Jahnelle
Jahnelle marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Kelly Foley
Kelly Foley marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Feb 25, 2016
Ugnemi
Ugnemi added it
Feb 16, 2016
Bhsa_lrc
Bhsa_lrc marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Gracie Liberty
Gracie Liberty marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Katniss
Katniss rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Nina
Nina added it
Sep 20, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015