Start by marking “First Sight: A Novel” as Want to Read:
First Sight: A Novel

First Sight: A Novel

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  2,280 ratings  ·  324 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Paris, L.A., and the world of ready to wear fashion provide rich backdrops for Danielle Steel’s deeply involving story of a gifted designer whose talent and drive have brought her everything—except the ability to erase her past and trust relationships.

FIRST SIGHT

New York. London. Milan. Paris. Fashion Week in all four cities. A month of endless
Published July 16th 2013 by Delacorte Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Sight

therese
This book was truly bad. I know there are those of you who will say "what did you expect"? Let me defend myself early on by saying that there are those of you who enjoy sitting in front of the television with a bag of chips and then there is me with Danielle Steel. It is my guilty pleasure, so get over it! Anyway, back to the book. Torture rather than pleasure might be the simplest way to describe my experience with this book. About a quarter of the way through, I honestly began to wonder if som ...more
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd
This book is horribly written. She beats the reader over the head with her descriptions of the heroine--how noble and self-sacrificing she has been, her rotten childhood. Actually, she overdescribes everything, like Charles Dickens writing for a penny paper but without the need. Surely she doesn't get paid by the word? At first I thought it would be okay as one of those "plane" reads. But, like Mary Higgins Clark, it is time for Steel to throw in her quill and retire. It just isn't fun anymore.
Kris
Her books have become a disappointment. She needs to fire her editors. There are do many errors in her recent books. For example, she falls asleep in her clothes and then wakes up to go to the hospital in her nightgown. Very disappointed. I need to get over my compulsion to read her new books!
Jana
I HATED this book. I consider Danielle Steel one of my guilty pleasures, but I found no pressure in reading this. It was poorly written and very predictable. She wrote two whole chapters on one subject and them she never mentioned it again. She added too many elements to the book that just didn't need to be there and because of that, it never flowed. This almost became a chore for me to read and I'm happy I'm finished with it.
Kim Nguyen
Does Danielle Steele get paid by the word? There are so many passages and paragraphs that are redundant (especially in the first half), that I feel like Steele is just milking every extraneous description for the dollars she sees in her head. I could have edited out every other paragraph and this novel would have still made sense and moved faster.

This is the first Danielle Steele novel I've ever read, and I can't say I'm impressed.

The characters are more mature, but that doesn't make their deci
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Όταν ανακοινώθηκε η Χρυσή Σειρά βιβλίων των εκδόσεων Μεταίχμιο, πέταξα τη σκούφια μου από τη χαρά μου. Είχα πολύ υψηλές προσδοκίες και περίμενα με περισσή αγωνία να πάρω τα πέντε αυτά βιβλία στα χέρια μου. Ο καιρός πέρασε, τα βιβλία βρέθηκαν στην κατοχή μου και με τη σειρά μου, εγώ, βρέθηκα προβληματισμένη σχετικά με την επιλογή εκείνου όπου θα έκανε την αρχή μιας μακράς ανάγνωσης. Το άφησα λοιπόν στην τύχη και αποφάσισα να ξεκινήσω με το πρώτο που θα έβγαζα από την τσάντα και αυτό δεν ήταν άλλ ...more
Tim
Danielle Steel has gone down the same road as Nora Roberts and Tom Clancy who were decent writers a decade ago, but no longer. Now everything Steel writes is a regurgitation of words she's rewritten, mixed in with much more death, sadness, infidelity, deceit and lies. 0 of 10 stars
Brittany
If I could give this half a star I would, it was that bad. Basically unreadable. Oh Danielle how far you have fallen. The days of Zoya, No Greater Love and The Ring are over and maybe I've finally accepted that and will no longer be reading her books.
Marnie
While I always enjoy a good romance book of Danielle Steel, I thought that this one just had too much drama going on. Thought that this could have been wrapped up just a bit better. But, of course I still enjoyed reading it.
Jayme
If you can get past the first 2 chapters, this is a great love story. It isnt as predictable as some of her other books, definitely caught me up about half way through.
Mary
Very early on, in my reading of this book, I asked myself why, why am I bothering to read another Danielle Steel book. My answer is I guess I keep hoping, hoping that she will write like she did in books like "Message from Nam", "Zoya" and "Thurston House". Or perhaps my taste in books has evolved and grown up.

I found this book tedious, especially in the beginning. It took approximately the first 67 pages, to lay down the foundation, background, thoughts and motivation before we saw some forward
Maria Ulery
Let me start by saying I love Danielle Steel's books because they have a little romance, a little suspense, and are uplifting! Happy Ending to the story but with some kinks along the way, always a great read! This book tells the tale of a designer mogel Timmie O'neal in modern day....Timmie has everything if your looking on the outside, first class on the plane going to fashion shows in Paris, Milan and London and of course New York! She has the latest and greatest houses, car etc but there are ...more
Laura Beth
This novel was just okay. I've ranged from highly disappointed to okay with Steel's books lately. It seems like a sadder rehash of an earlier book that I can't put my finger on. As I've stated on another Steel review, the highs of the book don't justify the lows. The main character is a strong, successful woman that has overcome obstacles that I cannot fathom a real person overcoming or even a fictional character being able to overcome as easily as this woman does. Throughout the book, she gives ...more
Shweta
Danielle Steel may be formulaic in her treatment of story lines but she gives you, your money’s worth. After a week of hectic juggling between work and home, weekend arrives and you find yourself looking for a respite. If that’s the case with you, her books should be your go to reads. They are quick and satisfying. They might not contain stuff written for the next Man Booker Prize but they make the readers happy.

In her tried and tested pattern of strong female protagonists with certain unique vu
Kris
Cheesy.

First Sight by Danielle Steel was entirely cheesy.

The entire story line based around Timmie's oh-so-exaggerated-fashionista lifestyle Steel worked so repeatedly to create was predictable and full of high-school based drama.

In my opinion, any respectable and educated woman would not have been so blind to Zack nor whipped and naive to the french doctor, Jean.

This was my first Danielle Steel novel, and it will most definitely be my last.
Ima
I usualy enjoy Danielle Steel, but this one was a complete waste of time.
The story is totally unbelievable.
Spoiler alert!

A super woman managing an empire with only two assistants.
Her love at first sight is a 58 years old doctor who makes love to her 4 times every night, until she got pregnant at 48.
Paris is her beloved city, she adores the people and the country but doesn't need to know the language because everyone there speaks English. Really?!
The entire story drags on, with a lot of repetiti
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Timmie O’Neil is a fashion designer whose success allowed her to build an international empire. Timmie had it all but what Timmie didn’t have was the love of family and a man. Overcoming a childhood no child should have to endure left Timmi scarred with the inability to trust. Timmie guarded her heart with an iron clad fist until Jean-Charles Vernier entered her life and nursed her back to health.

I liked how author Steel gave Timmie a personal life filled with barriers but allowed her to grow in
Andrea
I grew up in a family of Danielle Steel fans so I've been reading her books since high school. There are some like Silent Honor that I still think about and recommend to friends because the story is just ammmazing! I wouldn't be able to compare this book to that or her others on the level. The story was more simply and less of a saga that just pulls you in. However, it was still an enjoyable story. My one fault would be the endless description and building up of the main characters values and he ...more
Krisha Camille
This book made me cry.
The lead in the story, Timmie O, suffered a lot since she was just five years old. She was abandoned, not cared and no one to turn to aside from the nuns and priests of the orphanage where she was left. She went to different foster cares but was sent back with unknown reasons. Maybe she was too old or maybe the red hair or maybe because she had too many freckles, no one knows. When she was old enough to be on her own, she stood up to all the obstacles by herself and used h
Radhika
It was the usual quick read. Tammie O Neill the famous fashion icon had a terrible childhood and somehow makes it to the top of the fashion world. She loses her son to brain tumor and her husband leaves her for another man.

In walks Dr Jean Walker Vernier who is her doctor when she is recovering from appendicitis in Paris when on her fashion tour show. They fall in love and decide that they will get together when the good doctor divorces his wife with whom he claims he is already estranged.

The s
Vivian
A long time fan of Danielle Steel, it had been a long time since I had read one of her books. Rich story lines of affluent people is her trademark and this book fit Ms Steel's MO.

I enjoyed this story. The female character's life style may be of the rich and famous but her emotions and life choices could be any woman. I empathized with her as I read the story.

As enjoyable read!
Peggy
It has been a long time since I've read a Danielle Steele book and after reading (actually listening) to this book, I'm not sure if I will ever read another one. This was a truly terrible book; repetitive, slow, poorly written, no characters that I cared about, and did I mention repetitive???? HORRIBLE!!!
Evelyn Wilson
She finally slowed down her "repeating" of characters in Chapter 16. It became somewhat intense after that! I then enjoyed it more! Worth reading!!!!!!
Sarah Littleton
This book was terrible. And I don't usually say that. I found it so redundant I had to keep fighting from skipping pages. Over and over and over the same thing was said. And over. And over. In different words she repeats. Then she says the same thing numerous times. The book states the same message again and again (get the point?). It was really bad. I used to think Steven King was the worst with long winded descriptions of minute details that had nothing to do with the story. This book takes th ...more
Linda
Predictable but redundant love story...fast read!
Beth
I occasionally enjoy escapist literature, which has me returning to Danielle Steel from time to time. But she is a writing factory (up to three books per year, and as many as four in the past), her plots are formulaic (always involving tragedy: past, or current, or ideally both), and the quality of writing is terrible: repetitive, clichéd, and often trite. This book, which weighed in at close to 400 pages, did not have enough good, original material to make a novella. One can easily get through ...more
Pamela
Timmie O'Neill is a 40-something woman running a clothing empire in LA. She looks like she has it all, but sometimes looks are deceiving. With one failed marriage and a son who passed away, Timmie is missing someone to love. Sure, she has relationships, but these are shallow at best. And Timmie has the added stress of rejection as she lived in an orphanage from the time she was five years old.

This was just your typical Danielle Steel novel... corny, corny, corny. The typical wonderful, successf
Liz
I've never read a Danielle Steel book before and read it because a friend said she liked her books. Honestly I was a little disappointed. I think her book could have been cut in half based on how often the exact same sentiment was said in the same page or pages. I know they really loved each other and the feelings were mutual. We do not need to hear it ever two sentences. To me that writing style is slightly immature.

I also kind of felt the characters digressed rather than grew. I think it is gr
Mimi
Steel bothers the reader with endless descriptions about the main character as well as the world and the people surrounding her. In addition, Danielle Steel repeats herself when doing the previously mentioned descriptions . The book looses its grace not only in the descriptions and repetitions but also in uninteresting and unimportant facts to which Steel gives more importance than to the main plot line.
The love story told in his book (which has the potential to be a good story)is given few rele
Megan Kinsey
Dear god this is an awful book! I have loved some of her others and based on the book description, I thought I would love this one too but I really didn't. If I could give it no stars I would. I was reading it on my kindle so I'm not sure of the page number but I got to about 35-40% and couldn't read it anymore. She had not moved the plot on at all and I couldn't deal with repeated descriptions of the characters lives over and over again. There was no actual obvious plot by even half way through ...more
this one is not a favorite!!! 1 10 May 08, 2014 05:34AM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Danielle Steel 4 21 Jul 02, 2013 08:54AM
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Blossom Sisters
  • Secrets from the Past
  • Rose Harbor in Bloom (Rose Harbor, #2)
  • A Wandering Heart
  • The Lemon Orchard
  • Nearly Departed (A Spring Cleaning Mystery #1)
  • A Seaside Christmas (Chesapeake Shores #10)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)
  • A Nantucket Christmas
  • Don't Go
  • Saving Grace
  • The Power Trip
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things