Start by marking “First Sight” as Want to Read:
First Sight

First Sight

3.41  ·  Rating Details ·  3,560 Ratings  ·  408 Reviews

Paris, L.A., and the world of ready to wear fashion provide rich backdrops for Danielle Steel’s deeply involving story of a gifted designer whose talent and drive have brought her everything—except the ability to erase her past and trust relationships.

New York. London. Milan. Paris. Fashion Week in all four cities. A month of endless
Published July 16th 2013 by Delacorte Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Sight

Jul 31, 2013 therese rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly bad. I know there are those of you who will say "what did you expect"? Let me defend myself early on by saying that there are those of you who enjoy sitting in front of the television with a bag of chips and then there is me with Danielle Steel. It is my guilty pleasure, so get over it! Anyway, back to the book. Torture rather than pleasure might be the simplest way to describe my experience with this book. About a quarter of the way through, I honestly began to wonder if som ...more
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd
This book is horribly written. She beats the reader over the head with her descriptions of the heroine--how noble and self-sacrificing she has been, her rotten childhood. Actually, she overdescribes everything, like Charles Dickens writing for a penny paper but without the need. Surely she doesn't get paid by the word? At first I thought it would be okay as one of those "plane" reads. But, like Mary Higgins Clark, it is time for Steel to throw in her quill and retire. It just isn't fun anymore.
Sep 22, 2013 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Her books have become a disappointment. She needs to fire her editors. There are do many errors in her recent books. For example, she falls asleep in her clothes and then wakes up to go to the hospital in her nightgown. Very disappointed. I need to get over my compulsion to read her new books!
Kim Nguyen
Does Danielle Steele get paid by the word? There are so many passages and paragraphs that are redundant (especially in the first half), that I feel like Steele is just milking every extraneous description for the dollars she sees in her head. I could have edited out every other paragraph and this novel would have still made sense and moved faster.

This is the first Danielle Steele novel I've ever read, and I can't say I'm impressed.

The characters are more mature, but that doesn't make their deci
Briar Rose
Jun 19, 2016 Briar Rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I HATED this book. I consider Danielle Steel one of my guilty pleasures, but I found no pleasure in reading this. It was poorly written and very predictable. She wrote two whole chapters on one subject and them she never mentioned it again. She added too many elements to the book that just didn't need to be there and because of that, it never flowed. This almost became a chore for me to read and I'm happy I'm finished with it.
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Όταν ανακοινώθηκε η Χρυσή Σειρά βιβλίων των εκδόσεων Μεταίχμιο, πέταξα τη σκούφια μου από τη χαρά μου. Είχα πολύ υψηλές προσδοκίες και περίμενα με περισσή αγωνία να πάρω τα πέντε αυτά βιβλία στα χέρια μου. Ο καιρός πέρασε, τα βιβλία βρέθηκαν στην κατοχή μου και με τη σειρά μου, εγώ, βρέθηκα προβληματισμένη σχετικά με την επιλογή εκείνου όπου θα έκανε την αρχή μιας μακράς ανάγνωσης. Το άφησα λοιπόν στην τύχη και αποφάσισα να ξεκινήσω με το πρώτο που θα έβγαζα από την τσάντα και αυτό δεν ήταν άλλ ...more
May 08, 2014 Ima rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usualy enjoy Danielle Steel, but this one was a complete waste of time.
The story is totally unbelievable.
Spoiler alert!

A super woman managing an empire with only two assistants.
Her love at first sight is a 58 years old doctor who makes love to her 4 times every night, until she got pregnant at 48.
Paris is her beloved city, she adores the people and the country but doesn't need to know the language because everyone there speaks English. Really?!
The entire story drags on, with a lot of repetiti
Jul 10, 2014 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

First Sight by Danielle Steel was entirely cheesy.

The entire story line based around Timmie's oh-so-exaggerated-fashionista lifestyle Steel worked so repeatedly to create was predictable and full of high-school based drama.

In my opinion, any respectable and educated woman would not have been so blind to Zack nor whipped and naive to the french doctor, Jean.

This was my first Danielle Steel novel, and it will most definitely be my last.
Aug 06, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel has gone down the same road as Nora Roberts and Tom Clancy who were decent writers a decade ago, but no longer. Now everything Steel writes is a regurgitation of words she's rewritten, mixed in with much more death, sadness, infidelity, deceit and lies. 0 of 10 stars
Feb 14, 2014 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this half a star I would, it was that bad. Basically unreadable. Oh Danielle how far you have fallen. The days of Zoya, No Greater Love and The Ring are over and maybe I've finally accepted that and will no longer be reading her books.
Sep 15, 2013 Jayme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you can get past the first 2 chapters, this is a great love story. It isnt as predictable as some of her other books, definitely caught me up about half way through.
Jul 31, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel
Very early on, in my reading of this book, I asked myself why, why am I bothering to read another Danielle Steel book. My answer is I guess I keep hoping, hoping that she will write like she did in books like "Message from Nam", "Zoya" and "Thurston House". Or perhaps my taste in books has evolved and grown up.

I found this book tedious, especially in the beginning. It took approximately the first 67 pages, to lay down the foundation, background, thoughts and motivation before we saw some forward
Maria Ulery
Sep 12, 2013 Maria Ulery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I love Danielle Steel's books because they have a little romance, a little suspense, and are uplifting! Happy Ending to the story but with some kinks along the way, always a great read! This book tells the tale of a designer mogel Timmie O'neal in modern day....Timmie has everything if your looking on the outside, first class on the plane going to fashion shows in Paris, Milan and London and of course New York! She has the latest and greatest houses, car etc but there are ...more
Laura Beth
This novel was just okay. I've ranged from highly disappointed to okay with Steel's books lately. It seems like a sadder rehash of an earlier book that I can't put my finger on. As I've stated on another Steel review, the highs of the book don't justify the lows. The main character is a strong, successful woman that has overcome obstacles that I cannot fathom a real person overcoming or even a fictional character being able to overcome as easily as this woman does. Throughout the book, she gives ...more
Oct 24, 2013 Radhika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was the usual quick read. Tammie O Neill the famous fashion icon had a terrible childhood and somehow makes it to the top of the fashion world. She loses her son to brain tumor and her husband leaves her for another man.

In walks Dr Jean Walker Vernier who is her doctor when she is recovering from appendicitis in Paris when on her fashion tour show. They fall in love and decide that they will get together when the good doctor divorces his wife with whom he claims he is already estranged.

The s
Vannessa Anderson
Sep 28, 2014 Vannessa Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel
Timmie O’Neil is a fashion designer whose success allowed her to build an international empire. Timmie had it all but what Timmie didn’t have was the love of family and a man. Overcoming a childhood no child should have to endure left Timmi scarred with the inability to trust. Timmie guarded her heart with an iron clad fist until Jean-Charles Vernier entered her life and nursed her back to health.

I liked how author Steel gave Timmie a personal life filled with barriers but allowed her to grow in
Aug 29, 2015 Samyann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Audible audiobook. Read by Arthur Morey and approximately thirteen hours of listening. Ah, joy … another sweet, sappy, ridiculously romantic Steel story. The formula you can easily guess. Glitter and opulence surround the life of the lead female character, a … wait for it … fashion designer. The lead male character a ridiculously handsome French doctor. Riddled with cliches, predictable to the extreme, First Sight is an eye-rolling beach read.

In mid-July, maybe early August 2015, Audible provide
Sep 10, 2014 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read a Danielle Steele book and after reading (actually listening) to this book, I'm not sure if I will ever read another one. This was a truly terrible book; repetitive, slow, poorly written, no characters that I cared about, and did I mention repetitive???? HORRIBLE!!!
Dec 29, 2013 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, drama
While I always enjoy a good romance book of Danielle Steel, I thought that this one just had too much drama going on. Thought that this could have been wrapped up just a bit better. But, of course I still enjoyed reading it.
Oct 06, 2013 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, 2013
I grew up in a family of Danielle Steel fans so I've been reading her books since high school. There are some like Silent Honor that I still think about and recommend to friends because the story is just ammmazing! I wouldn't be able to compare this book to that or her others on the level. The story was more simply and less of a saga that just pulls you in. However, it was still an enjoyable story. My one fault would be the endless description and building up of the main characters values and he ...more
Tabitha White
Aug 01, 2015 Tabitha White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Danielle Steel since I was a teenager. I enjoyed the overall plot and development of the main character Timmie. Although I liked this novel, sometimes the language/ideas were repeated unnecessarily and were a bit distracting.

However, if you're a die-hard Danielle Steel fan this novel won't disappoint.
Jan 02, 2015 Vivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A long time fan of Danielle Steel, it had been a long time since I had read one of her books. Rich story lines of affluent people is her trademark and this book fit Ms Steel's MO.

I enjoyed this story. The female character's life style may be of the rich and famous but her emotions and life choices could be any woman. I empathized with her as I read the story.

As enjoyable read!
Whitney Sanchez
Terrible writing, terrible story.

I had to power through from page one. It's terrible. The characters aren't appealing and the writing is awful. Don't read this, even if it's all you can find on vacation!
Cat Jenkins
May 23, 2014 Cat Jenkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I abandoned a book once I've begun to read it. But this...yikes!!! I kept checking the page numbers in disbelief. After 38 pages of endlessly boring, repetitive backstory, I couldn't believe this made it past an agent!!! And repetitive doesn't begin to convey what's going on here. The same ideas restated like an exercise in alternate vocabulary again and again and again.

I bailed. I was looking for a light read to fill in gaps like riding on a subway or waiting in line, but
Evelyn Wilson
Feb 12, 2014 Evelyn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She finally slowed down her "repeating" of characters in Chapter 16. It became somewhat intense after that! I then enjoyed it more! Worth reading!!!!!!
Sarah Littleton
This book was terrible. And I don't usually say that. I found it so redundant I had to keep fighting from skipping pages. Over and over and over the same thing was said. And over. And over. In different words she repeats. Then she says the same thing numerous times. The book states the same message again and again (get the point?). It was really bad. I used to think Steven King was the worst with long winded descriptions of minute details that had nothing to do with the story. This book takes th ...more
Julie Barrett
Jun 19, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Sight by Danielle Steel
Timmie, Clothing designer is just returning from her semi annual trip overseas shows.
Her two assistants, Jade and David really make her life smoother and they feel like a real family.
She becomes violently ill and calls a doctor whose card she was given. He's an internist and he checks her out at the hotel.
She must go for surgery and the doctor is the only one there. He learns of her past=in an orphanage. Rejected from being adopted she moved in with nuns and she go
Jan 09, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but redundant love read!
Dec 31, 2014 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I occasionally enjoy escapist literature, which has me returning to Danielle Steel from time to time. But she is a writing factory (up to three books per year, and as many as four in the past), her plots are formulaic (always involving tragedy: past, or current, or ideally both), and the quality of writing is terrible: repetitive, clichéd, and often trite. This book, which weighed in at close to 400 pages, did not have enough good, original material to make a novella. One can easily get through ...more
May 21, 2014 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Timmie O'Neill is a 40-something woman running a clothing empire in LA. She looks like she has it all, but sometimes looks are deceiving. With one failed marriage and a son who passed away, Timmie is missing someone to love. Sure, she has relationships, but these are shallow at best. And Timmie has the added stress of rejection as she lived in an orphanage from the time she was five years old.

This was just your typical Danielle Steel novel... corny, corny, corny. The typical wonderful, successf
this one is not a favorite!!! 1 10 May 07, 2014 08:34PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Danielle Steel 4 23 Jul 01, 2013 11:54PM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Her Stolen Past
  • The Blossom Sisters
  • Rocky Coast Romance (Holiday Harbor #1)
  • Mountain Rescue (Echo Mountain #1)
  • Starting Now (Blossom Street, #9)
  • Out of Hiding
  • Not Young, Still Restless
  • Mistletoe, Merriment, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #7)
  • Saving Grace
  • True Love at Silver Creek Ranch (Valentine Valley, #2)
  • Can't Forgive: My 20-Year Battle with O.J. Simpson
  • Zane (The Westmorelands, #25)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Thereses tilstand (Therese, #1)
  • The Unclaimed Baby (and Baby Makes Three: The Next Generation)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“that way, the models would be” 1 likes