Start by marking “The 5:2 Diet Book” as Want to Read:
The 5:2 Diet Book

The 5:2 Diet Book

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The 5:2 Diet will transform your body, your mind and your health. It’s the revolutionary part-time weight loss diet with lifelong health and anti-ageing results. This is the simplest, most flexible and most health enhancing weight loss programme you’ll ever follow – and with this book to guide you, you can start today. You’ll still get to eat all the foods you love but enj ...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about The 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5

Anne
I've been on this eating plan for a month. I've lost weight but, more importantly, my relationship to food has dramatically changed for the first time in my adult life (except when I was pregnant.)

The guilt that comes from eating, especially indulging, is gone. Why? Because 2 days a week I 'invest' in eating >500 calories. This allows my body to heal and decrease inflammation while, mentally, I learn not to panic when I feel a hunger pang. Some fast days are easier than others. But even at th
Lisa
This is the diet that makes the most sense to me. I did something like this at one point, having one very low calorie day and one "all out" day and then the rest of the days pretty reasonable in order to maintain weight. I'm a binger at heart, so a restrictive diet for months on end will NEVER work for me. Having a couple of fast days a week is so flexible, because you can work around social events and well, just life. I'm glad there is science to back it up, but I'd do it anyway.
Alison
Bought this on a whim because it sounded intriguing, and read it in one sitting. I haven't seen the Horizon programme that prompted Kate Harrison to write this book, but she's done a good job of selling this "diet" to me, so much so hat I'm going to try it for a month and see how it goes!

I've spent most of my adult life dieting, and normally lose half a stone and gain ten pounds. This time I have managed to lose 16lbs so far (it was 18 but I gained a bit over Xmas) but I feel like I'm a bit stuc
Susan Earle
I was interested in this diet and after reading Harrison's book, I am more interested in adopting some of her ideas and strategies. I found her writing to be honest and encouraging. I liked her approach. It would be great if more people adopted a mindful approach to their diets. I plan to check out her website (www.the5-2dietbook.com).
Shawn Powell
Quick, easy read that provides a good overview of this diet (lifestyle, really). A good introduction, but I found it also very helpful to watch the "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" documentary. This book also connected me to the Facebook group of the same name (set up by the author) which has been hugely supportive and helpful as I begin this way of eating.
C
Review: This is an unusual review for me as I've never read a 'diet book' before but I'm committed to supporting the authors that I enjoy reading, and having heard Kate Harrison talk about this book late last year, I thought I'd give it a go. I haven't enough of the diet to review that as yet but I will post an update on the blog when I can give that a proper review soon. It's a bit scary admitting that you're on a diet but in the interest of reviewing the book, it had to be done.

First of all,
Anne Dale
OK but not as good as the book by Dr Moseley and Mimi Spencer - The Fast Diet. I thought that it was purely for a UK audience who know how big a bag of salad is. Where I live we have different sizes of bags of salads. This applies to many other products she mentions.
Marina
3 stars for writing style, but I'd give it more for the concept/theory. I hate to fall prey to "diet fads" and the author kind of makes this sound faddish, I guess. Besides this book I've done more research on Intermittent Fasting (IF) and I'm liking the ideas behind it, and will give it a try. The book gives good tips for fast days, as well as a nice chart with foods/nutrient information, and some recipe ideas for fast days. Helpful for sure.
Zeeple
This "book" should have been a medium sized Blog post. In fact, the Wikipedia page on the 5:2 diet is only about 200 words long and it is equally informative. It boils down to this: "Don't eat anything for two non-consecutive days of the week. Fasting is hard at first but you'll get over it. Don't be a wuss and you'll be fine."
Outi
My first introduction to this hyped diet. Provided some information and I liked how there were finnish products mentioned in the translation. It's mainly information you can get online too and then some stories by people who've tried it.

I think I'm gonna give the diet a go in the summer.
Exoticbrett
Can't comment on the diet itself, but having sprained my ankle and unable to walk for a day or two (including to the fridge or cupboard) without terrific pain, I'm testing out my first fast day today (so far, so good). As far as the book goes, it's entertaining enough to keep me interested in reading to the end, though sometimes it feels like I'm getting all the information third-hand. Still, the sources quoted seem respectable enough, particularly given the author's journalistic background (and ...more
Michael
Excellent diet that I will try out.
Hannah
Don't feel that I can rate or review this until I've been doing it for at least a month so I can see if it works at all!
Gemma
I got this book to find out more about intermittent fasting. I've read a lot online about how it works. The book covered the basics and gave more of an idea about one person's journey. I believed that this diet worked well for the author and others quoted. This book made me realise that this is not for me at this time in my life though. I think that is a mark of a balanced book. She is clearly passionate about the subject but can present the negatives. This may be something I revisit and this bo ...more
E S
Honestly, the writing equals about a three star… But the fact that I was inspired enough to go ahead and give it a try (and it was free to borrow with Amazon Prime) bumps it up another star for me. First fast day was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be! I guess we'll see how it goes from here on out!
Mitzi
Convinced me to give it a go. I liked that she intersperses the informational bits with her personal journey. I just did my first fast day and I am hungry but it is manageable. My mental clarity is already better after one day. Hope that continues. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow's feast.
Leanne Keenoo
I enjoyed reading this book.
I first heard of this way of eating on a tv programme last year and this author basically goes over the basics and adds extracts from her own personal journey with this diet.
Not sure that it's for me but it definitely gave me food for thought if you will excuse the pun!
Heather Antoy Stephenson
Decent overview and introduction to fasting, explains the basics and isn't too science heavy for those who don't have an in depth interest. Good little starter book for anyone interested in a healthier way of life. Writing is average, mostly engaging but nothing record breaking. 3.5 stars.
Nina
Read the book -now to start fasting! I feel more ready for it now.
The book contained a lot of random meal suggestions (which weren't relevant for me, since I don't live in the UK).
It was not consistent in translating pounds to kg :-/
Too many quotes from random dieting people!
Joanna
e-book for just $2.99 and I was curious what's so exciting about it, so I got it. It is easy read, and it gave me main ideas about the diet. I watched the BBC documentary on PBS last week, and that really got me interested. Planning on buying dr Mosey's book.
Kate
Crap. Poorly written by someone who has no background in medicine or nutrition. My fault for not looking into this title more before purchasing. If I decide to try this diet, I will pick up a title written by someone who knows what they are talking about.
Mary Kelly
Jul 03, 2013 Mary Kelly is currently reading it
Pants are getting tight again.. Time to investigate a new way of keeping the kgs off. I watched the documentary and was blown away by the many health benefits. Also really curious to try few days of fasting,
Lisa Bergin
An interesting book, but I don't think I will be giving it a go. I did pick up a few interesting facts about how being healthy is determined and it isn't just about what you weigh.
Nicki
A very interesting book which was extremely easy to read. There is lots of scientific information to back it up too. Definitely worth getting whilst it's only just over £1.
Shirley
Some interesting ideas in this book, though I'm still not entirely sure of the science behind it. I suppose the proof of the dieting is in the weight loss!!
I don't know if this diet works, but I do know that I am hungry. Can't stand to have this on my 'currently reading' shelf any longer.
Hannah
Meh. This book has a lot of fluff unless you're really interested in the science and testimonials. If you want the basics just Google it.
Lily
Well it might be worth a shot if it helps to avoid Alzheimers and Diabetes. Might be too little, too late for the Alzheimers though!
Becky Black
Easy reading friendly intro to the diet, with plenty of practical advice and resources.
Lynda
interesting concept, will give it a go if it potentially delays dementia etc
  • Loveability: Knowing How to Love and Be Loved
  • The Optimun Nutrition Bible
  • The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
  • Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles
  • The Runner (China Thrillers, #5)
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • Cybersexism: Sex, Gender and Power on the Internet
  • Nancy Mitford
  • The Secret Children
  • Party of the Century: The Fabulous Story of Truman Capote and His Black-And-White Ball
  • Eat Fast Slim: The Life-Changing Intermittent Fasting Diet for Amazing Weight Loss and Optimum Health
  • Defeat Into Victory: Battling Japan in Burma and India, 1942-1945
  • Feed Your Face: Younger, Smoother Skin and a Beautiful Body in 28 Delicious Days
  • Duct Tape Parenting: A Less Is More Approach to Raising Respectful, Responsible, and Resilient Kids
  • Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies
  • Iris: A Memoir of Iris Murdoch
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
  • What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off (a Penguin Special from Portfolio)
Kate was born in Wigan, and lived in more than a dozen places when she was growing up, including England, Scotland, and the Netherlands. She trained as a print journalist and then worked for the BBC as a reporter and Education Correspondent, before switching to behind the scenes producing on programmes including Newsround and Panorama. Her final 'proper' job involved coming up with TV programme id ...more
More about Kate Harrison...
The Secret Shopper's Revenge Soul Beach The Self-Preservation Society Soul Fire The Secret Shopper Unwrapped