The Walrus And The Warwolf

The Walrus And The Warwolf (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness #4)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Being thrown overboard was a light punishment and Drake knew he had a good deal. What he didn't know was that this was only the start of a long journey that would take him far from his home and his love - and he would have to endure far worse before either could be regained.
Paperback
Published June 1988 by Corgi

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
187th out of 290 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Swordsmith's apprentice Drake Douay is sentenced to death by drowning for vandalism and destruction of property. As Drake is swimming back to shore, he chances upon Zanya, a red skinned, red haired beauty, and decides he'll do anything to get into her knickers. Can two ships of pirates, revolution, and all manner of disgusting monsters stop Drake from being reunited with Zanya and giving her the rogering of a lifetime?

Drake Douay is a lying, cowardly, slimy, drunken fornicator. And I love him! T...more
Daniel
This book is fucking crazy. Hugh Cook crams more events into a dozen pages than I have ever witnessed before, and he does so with a reckless regard for language or convention. In two paragraphs, a city can fall, or a character can get into a bar fight in a small shanty town and then quaff a mug of beer spiked with plutonium to celebrate; ships sail and take on monsters, and portals open in forests occupied by the ruins of a military complex from ages past. The characters in this story are driven...more
Philip Armstrong
The Walrus and the Warwolf is one of the most audacious books I've ever read (and with a title like that how could it not be?). It's taken me since October to finish it, partly because what with baby and you nerds distracting me all the time it's hard to get any non-audio reading done, and partly because it's like a hundred thousand million pages. That's okay though; I savored every word. I've been sitting with this book for the better part of a year and have a lot of thoughts, so bear with me.

W...more
Andrea
Forced to read this book by my darling paramour, I did my best to love it but failed. It's a funny book, chock full of pirate-y adventures as well as anachronistic occurrences. My main problem was that the author did not take the time to flesh out any of the interesting events, or any of his characters for that matter. The book jumps from one thing to another whether you are following along or not. It's a unique book with a quirky tone that probably suits some people far more than others, and if...more
Zivan
I didn't enjoy The Walrus And The Warwolf as much as the previous books in the series.

Perhaps because I had a harder time identifying with a reckless teenager as the main character.

Eventually this does pay off since he does eventually grow up a little.

In The Walrus And The Warwolf Cook concentrates on the pirates.
We follow our protagonist as his lust and eventually perhaps even love takes him on one harrowing adventure after the other.
Ed
Sep 16, 2011 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This is often cited by most readers as the best in the series. I actually think it isn't as good as the second book The Women and the Warlords which was a very bold Fantasy novel that took a lot of risks for the genre, but managed to do so in a very compelling way. Nevertheless The Walrus and the Warwolf is still an entertaining read and another strong entry in the series.
Douglas Mcintosh
Just finished reading the Planet Stories edition of this fine book after losing my complete collection of Chronicles of and Age of Darkness many years ago. Just as much fun as I remember it being years ago. A great mix of fantasy, technology and above all humour. A joy to read.
Ellen Franklin
This is an unusual read - out of the ordinary for me but I loved it. Hugh Cook takes you on a journey with Drake and you had better watch out. Loads of ups and downs with this writer.
Moonglum
A very fun, wild teenage romp though a post apocalyptic fantasy world with lots of pirates, sex, booze, ancient super science, hokey religions, humor, and pirates. Arrg!
Scott Beck
The best of the series. Drake Douay provides entertainment throughout.
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 Steve added it
Chronicles of an Age of Darkness
Tony Day
I dont get it.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Tim Evans
Tim Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Colby
Colby marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Hugh Cook was a cult author whose works blend fantasy and science fiction. He is best known for his epic series The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.
More about Hugh Cook...
The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness) The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2) The Women And The Warlords Wizard War The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)