Start by marking “The Walrus And The Warwolf” as Want to Read:
The Walrus And The Warwolf

The Walrus And The Warwolf (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness #4)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Being thrown overboard was a light punishment and Drake knew he had a good deal. What he didn't know was that this was only the start of a long journey that would take him far from his home and his love - and he would have to endure far worse before either could be regained.
Paperback
Published June 1988 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about The Walrus And The Warwolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walrus And The Warwolf

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
223rd out of 333 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Swordsmith's apprentice Drake Douay is sentenced to death by drowning for vandalism and destruction of property. As Drake is swimming back to shore, he chances upon Zanya, a red skinned, red haired beauty, and decides he'll do anything to get into her knickers. Can two ships of pirates, revolution, and all manner of disgusting monsters stop Drake from being reunited with Zanya and giving her the rogering of a lifetime?

Drake Douay is a lying, cowardly, slimy, drunken fornicator. And I love him! T
Daniel
This book is fucking crazy. Hugh Cook crams more events into a dozen pages than I have ever witnessed before, and he does so with a reckless regard for language or convention. In two paragraphs, a city can fall, or a character can get into a bar fight in a small shanty town and then quaff a mug of beer spiked with plutonium to celebrate; ships sail and take on monsters, and portals open in forests occupied by the ruins of a military complex from ages past. The characters in this story are driven ...more
Philip Armstrong
The Walrus and the Warwolf is one of the most audacious books I've ever read (and with a title like that how could it not be?). It's taken me since October to finish it, partly because what with baby and you nerds distracting me all the time it's hard to get any non-audio reading done, and partly because it's like a hundred thousand million pages. That's okay though; I savored every word. I've been sitting with this book for the better part of a year and have a lot of thoughts, so bear with me.

W
Andrea
Forced to read this book by my darling paramour, I did my best to love it but failed. It's a funny book, chock full of pirate-y adventures as well as anachronistic occurrences. My main problem was that the author did not take the time to flesh out any of the interesting events, or any of his characters for that matter. The book jumps from one thing to another whether you are following along or not. It's a unique book with a quirky tone that probably suits some people far more than others, and if ...more
Gearoid
It's a hilarious roller coaster ride from beginning to end. The main character is a demon loving degenerate who you can't help but root for as he stumbles from one disaster to another in a thoroughly insane world. Have re-read it more times than I can remember, picked it up as a kid on my first visit to a second hand book store, pure gold.
Zivan
I didn't enjoy The Walrus And The Warwolf as much as the previous books in the series.

Perhaps because I had a harder time identifying with a reckless teenager as the main character.

Eventually this does pay off since he does eventually grow up a little.

In The Walrus And The Warwolf Cook concentrates on the pirates.
We follow our protagonist as his lust and eventually perhaps even love takes him on one harrowing adventure after the other.
Ed
Sep 16, 2011 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This is often cited by most readers as the best in the series. I actually think it isn't as good as the second book The Women and the Warlords which was a very bold Fantasy novel that took a lot of risks for the genre, but managed to do so in a very compelling way. Nevertheless The Walrus and the Warwolf is still an entertaining read and another strong entry in the series.
Douglas Mcintosh
Just finished reading the Planet Stories edition of this fine book after losing my complete collection of Chronicles of and Age of Darkness many years ago. Just as much fun as I remember it being years ago. A great mix of fantasy, technology and above all humour. A joy to read.
Ellen Franklin
This is an unusual read - out of the ordinary for me but I loved it. Hugh Cook takes you on a journey with Drake and you had better watch out. Loads of ups and downs with this writer.
Moonglum
A very fun, wild teenage romp though a post apocalyptic fantasy world with lots of pirates, sex, booze, ancient super science, hokey religions, humor, and pirates. Arrg!
Scott Beck
The best of the series. Drake Douay provides entertainment throughout.
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 Steve added it
Chronicles of an Age of Darkness
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Gilbert
Gilbert marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
BrenDon
BrenDon marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Ad1
Ad1 marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Drama Queen
Drama Queen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Aubrey Johnston
Aubrey Johnston marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
TaB
TaB marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • The Dark World
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Sword and the Stallion (Corum, #6)
  • The War Of Powers
  • Demons of the Deep (Fighting Fantasy Gamebook)
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4)
  • Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria (Thongor, #1)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Tales of the Dying Earth
Hugh Cook was a cult author whose works blend fantasy and science fiction. He is best known for his epic series The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.

More about Hugh Cook...

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness (10 books)
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
  • The Wazir and the Witch
  • The Werewolf and the Wormlord
  • The Worshippers And The Way (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness Volume 9)
  • The Witchlord and the Weaponmaster
The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness) The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2) Wizard War The Women And The Warlords The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)