What She Left Us

What She Left Us

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Jenna and Courtney are dealing with the unexpected death of their mother in different ways. Jenna broke off her engagement to the man she thought she'd love forever, while Courtney headed back to college to take charge of a dorm-floor full of college students as a resident assistant.

Six months later, Jenna is fueled by panic over the news that the sisters may have the same...more
Kindle Edition, first edition, 345 pages
Published April 2nd 2013 by Stephanie Elliot

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Best Beach Reads 2013
460th out of 2,381 books — 4,203 voters
The Man Who Watched The World End by Chris DietzelPretty from a Distance by AdiosJump When Ready by David PandolfeThe Banks of Certain Rivers by Jon HarrisonBy Blood by Tracy E. Banghart
Indie Literary Fiction - April 2013 New Releases
12th out of 20 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol Thygesen
If you are looking for a book that will make you laugh, cry, and cheer for the main characters all the way through, this is it! The relationship between sisters Jenna and Courtney as they deal with their mother's death in very different ways rings true. And you will root for them as they search for romantic love as well. Make sure to clear your calendars - once you start "What She Left Us" you won't be able to put it down.
Susan (The Book Bag)
Loved it! Two sisters have to deal with their mother's death and then find out that they may have the same disease. Their lives will never be the same. Drama, drama, drama. There is the old boyfriend, the new boyfriend, the absent father, and the change to the way the sisters have to live their lives.

Sounds confusing? It's not really. It's all just what makes this a story you want to get lost in ~ you have to keep reading to see what is going to happen to Jenna and Courtney next.

'They'd forever...more
susieqlaw
I loved this book and could not put it down. What a beautiful story! The book's main characters are two sisters. Everything about this novel takes me to where they were and how they felt. Such depth! The author's carefully crafted and compelling words let me stay connected to this book. Why? Two very powerful quotes in the book....no spoilers! You will know them when you see them.

I do provide first read reviews and get free and arc copies sometimes. However. I purchased this book, because I want...more
Logan
Stephanie Elliot has done it again! I fell in love with her writing in Cell Phone Lot and her writing continues to amaze me. This story pulled at my heartstrings, it had me smiling and crying and doing both together. What a beautiful story of two sisters who have face great struggles but bend together. It made me want to run and hug my sister. It also has a beautiful romantic story that makes me want more. You know you have found an amazing read when you lose a whole day of work devouring the wo...more
Kathy
Stephanie wrote the kind of book I like to read. The characters were developed well in the first part of the book, so much that I could see them in my head while I was reading. And one of them annoyed me so I really did feel like I knew them. This was a story about a lot of relationships and how they were all connected, coupled with some twists that made for a good story. I needed to keep reading in the second half of the book, needing to know how things were going to play out. I look forward to...more
Kate E. Stephenson
The synopsis of What She Left Us leaves little to the imagination. It in fact tells you pretty much the entire story. A savvy reader might actually be able to fill in all the blanks from just the blurb. Other reviewers have said things like “lots of twists and turns,” “never know where it leads next,” “page tuner”. And while on the surface I agree with these assessments, at the end of the day What She Left Us is neither a suspense nor a thriller—it’s a family story.

There is a truth about What S...more
Christina Lyn
Whew!!! This book totally blew me away. I loved everything in this book. Coudn't help myself to finish this right away. I'm so worried for Courtney and Jenna's. But the twist in this stoty DAMN can't even believed it that its possible. After a very rough year in the end they still find a happiness they both deserved. They both have a happy ending.

Job well done Stephanie. I'm totally glued by their story. I loved it so damn much.
Betsy Hoida
Loved the relationship between the two sisters! As a mom of two girls this struck a chord with me...would love if my two had this relationship! Great book...entertaining, fast read!
Engaging and heartfelt... A must-read!
Nance
Two sisters lose their mother to a disease. The disease is one of hereditary composition. What happens to the sisters when faced with the horrifying reality that “yes” they too can be strictened with this killer affliction – hemochromatosis? Are they carrying the gene? And, if so, how will this affect their future?

Jenna and Courtney – two sisters just living their normal lives. Courtney, the younger, away at college obtaining her degree while working as her dorm’s RA. Jenna, the older, one time...more
Stephanie
The premise of the book seemed good enough--a light, quick read--however the execution was terrible. I have never experienced such a whiney, helpless character before. Jenna was absolutely awful with her sister was only mildly better. I couldn't bear to finish the book, unable to look past the amateurish, one dimensional writing. I wanted to keep at it as I rarely leave a book unfinished but I just couldn't waste my time anymore when there are so many more talented authors and worthy books out t...more
J. Nathan
I really liked this story. I enjoyed the duel POV from both sisters. I became involved in their separate stories-both heartbreaking but with HEA's. And while it was sad at times, there were sweeter moments. And even though there was a love triangle, which I do not like because they give me anxiety, I felt good about Jenna's choice in the end. Overall, a really solid read.
Michele Whitecotton
I gave this book 4 stars because it was a freebie, if I had paid for it I would have given it 3. It had a pretty good story even though it was quite predictable. I wasn't really shocked about anything. As far as the characters, I really liked Courtney and Mitch. They had a lot of depth and went well together. I didn't really care for Jenna, she was too wishy-washy for my taste. Her whole story was Darren...Clay...Darren...Clay. It was a bit irritating. The biggest problem I had with the book was...more
Erin
May 06, 2013 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I've gotten to know Stephanie Elliott through her blog "Booking with Manic." I think she is a terrific person and I really enjoy her writing style. When I learned that she had self-published her novel, I was excited to read it. The book did not disappoint. This is a lovely first novel. I was able to connect with both of the main characters, a pair of sisters in their early 20's who had just lost their mother, and empathize with their feelings. I also found my self getting lost in the story (alwa...more
Amy
2.5. Entertaining quick read but I am pretty sure in 3 months I won't remember what the book is even about. I found the sister Jenna whiny and annoying and the book very predictable. That being said I have read worse and I did fly through the book in one day so it wasn't awful.
Rebecca
Quick enjoyable read that tied things up just a bit too quickly & neatly. Rounding up from 3.5 stars.
theresa
finished it one sitting! a story of love & loss and finding out who you really are when life throws you a curve. two sisters, devastated by the sudden death of their mother are forced to face their lives in a new light when they discover that the cause of their mom's death was a disease that's hereditary. subtle plot twists, light romance and great characters kept me happily entertained. i'm definitely looking forward to more from stephanie elliot!
Amanda Ebersole
This was a great read about two sisters overcoming the loss of their mother. Having sisters of my own made me really appreciate this book and the relationship that sister's share. Would definitely recommend this to others, even if you don't have siblings it is still a great read about family, love, and how to get through a tough time.
Kathleen Crowell
good framework for an interesting story. characters fell a little flat for me. too much crying/sobbing by the sisters but I guess that is to be expected. never felt the connections between any of the love interests nor between the father and aunt and the girls. 2.5 for me...kind of disappointed.
Holly
This is a nice, well rounded story. I will definitely read more of Stephanie Elliot's future work. That being said, I feel What She Left Us would have been a lot better if there weren't so many typos. There are major typos that really distract from the story.
Yvonne
This was book 5 in "52 books in 52 weeks" and it was okay. I listened and read along on this one with kindle's text to speech. Maybe the blandness of the text to speech did the book a disservice.
Kate
Really a three and a half! A nice story about two sisters who are dealing with their Mom's death in different ways. I really cannot go into the details because it would spoil the story.
Colbey Jones
This is a great read. I tore through it. It is a great story of sisterhood and the bonds that really make a family!
Stephanie Elliot
May 02, 2013 Stephanie Elliot rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved it! Hahah, hope you will too!
Maxwell03
Too predictable.
Emily Goetz
Emily Goetz marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Diana Kruger
Diana Kruger marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Katie Hernandez
Katie Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sisters & Contemporary Relationships! 1 4 Apr 06, 2013 01:21PM
What She Left Us Now Available! 1 3 Apr 06, 2013 01:16PM
I am the author of the full-length novels, A Little Bit of Everything Lost, What She Left Us and the e-novella, The Cell Phone Lot. Thank you for stopping by!
More about Stephanie Elliot...
The Cell Phone Lot A Little Bit of Everything Lost The Life After