Start by marking “What She Left Us” as Want to Read:
What She Left Us

What She Left Us

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Jenna and Courtney are dealing with the unexpected death of their mother in different ways. Jenna broke off her engagement to the man she thought she'd love forever, while Courtney headed back to college to take charge of a dorm-floor full of college students as a resident assistant.

Six months later, Jenna is fueled by panic over the news that the sisters may have the same
Kindle Edition, first edition, 345 pages
Published April 2nd 2013 by Stephanie Elliot

To ask other readers questions about What She Left Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What She Left Us

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Best Beach Reads 2013
471st out of 2,342 books — 4,289 voters
Pretty from a Distance by Cat McCarreyJump When Ready by David PandolfeThe Banks of Certain Rivers by Jon HarrisonBy Blood by Tracy BanghartTexas Jack by Bart Hopkins
Indie Literary Fiction - April 2013 New Releases
11th out of 21 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol
Apr 04, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book that will make you laugh, cry, and cheer for the main characters all the way through, this is it! The relationship between sisters Jenna and Courtney as they deal with their mother's death in very different ways rings true. And you will root for them as they search for romantic love as well. Make sure to clear your calendars - once you start "What She Left Us" you won't be able to put it down.
Susan (The Book Bag)
May 19, 2013 Susan (The Book Bag) rated it really liked it
Loved it! Two sisters have to deal with their mother's death and then find out that they may have the same disease. Their lives will never be the same. Drama, drama, drama. There is the old boyfriend, the new boyfriend, the absent father, and the change to the way the sisters have to live their lives.

Sounds confusing? It's not really. It's all just what makes this a story you want to get lost in ~ you have to keep reading to see what is going to happen to Jenna and Courtney next.

'They'd forever
susieqlaw
Apr 05, 2013 susieqlaw rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and could not put it down. What a beautiful story! The book's main characters are two sisters. Everything about this novel takes me to where they were and how they felt. Such depth! The author's carefully crafted and compelling words let me stay connected to this book. Why? Two very powerful quotes in the book....no spoilers! You will know them when you see them.

I do provide first read reviews and get free and arc copies sometimes. However. I purchased this book, because I want
Logan
Apr 04, 2013 Logan rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Elliot has done it again! I fell in love with her writing in Cell Phone Lot and her writing continues to amaze me. This story pulled at my heartstrings, it had me smiling and crying and doing both together. What a beautiful story of two sisters who have face great struggles but bend together. It made me want to run and hug my sister. It also has a beautiful romantic story that makes me want more. You know you have found an amazing read when you lose a whole day of work devouring the wo ...more
Kathy
Jul 04, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
Stephanie wrote the kind of book I like to read. The characters were developed well in the first part of the book, so much that I could see them in my head while I was reading. And one of them annoyed me so I really did feel like I knew them. This was a story about a lot of relationships and how they were all connected, coupled with some twists that made for a good story. I needed to keep reading in the second half of the book, needing to know how things were going to play out. I look forward to ...more
Christina Lyn
Apr 21, 2013 Christina Lyn rated it it was amazing
Whew!!! This book totally blew me away. I loved everything in this book. Coudn't help myself to finish this right away. I'm so worried for Courtney and Jenna's. But the twist in this stoty DAMN can't even believed it that its possible. After a very rough year in the end they still find a happiness they both deserved. They both have a happy ending.

Job well done Stephanie. I'm totally glued by their story. I loved it so damn much.
Rhea
Jan 24, 2015 Rhea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
"What She Left Us" is a beautifully written, heartwarming and emotional novel by Stephanie Elliot. As I tend to do things backwards, I read Ms. Elliot's other novel and novella prior to this, her first novel, so I knew that it would be filled with emotion. Her stories, no matter what they are about, take us deep into the characters' hearts, minds and souls. We go along with them for the roller coaster of emotions. Ms. Elliot creates characters you care about and while I'm tying this the next day ...more
Betsy Hoida
May 16, 2013 Betsy Hoida rated it it was amazing
Loved the relationship between the two sisters! As a mom of two girls this struck a chord with me...would love if my two had this relationship! Great book...entertaining, fast read!
Lillian Cummings
Apr 18, 2015 Lillian Cummings rated it really liked it
Great read blood doesn't always make you who you are

Courtney and Jenna are sisters that have had a really bad time lately. There has been death illness New love. Jenna is a big mess she has broken up with her fiancee as she is not sure if she wants to spend forever with him. Courtney has just learnt a family secret that can change every thing. Will her boyfriend's love see her through or will it be too much. Sometimes we all need to make decisions that will hurt other people without realizing th
Kate E. Stephenson
Apr 10, 2015 Kate E. Stephenson rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
The synopsis of What She Left Us leaves little to the imagination. It in fact tells you pretty much the entire story. A savvy reader might actually be able to fill in all the blanks from just the blurb. Other reviewers have said things like “lots of twists and turns,” “never know where it leads next,” “page tuner”. And while on the surface I agree with these assessments, at the end of the day What She Left Us is neither a suspense nor a thriller—it’s a family story.

There is a truth about What S
Nance
Two sisters lose their mother to a disease. The disease is one of hereditary composition. What happens to the sisters when faced with the horrifying reality that “yes” they too can be strictened with this killer affliction – hemochromatosis? Are they carrying the gene? And, if so, how will this affect their future?

Jenna and Courtney – two sisters just living their normal lives. Courtney, the younger, away at college obtaining her degree while working as her dorm’s RA. Jenna, the older, one time
Stephanie
Mar 18, 2014 Stephanie rated it did not like it
The premise of the book seemed good enough--a light, quick read--however the execution was terrible. I have never experienced such a whiney, helpless character before. Jenna was absolutely awful with her sister was only mildly better. I couldn't bear to finish the book, unable to look past the amateurish, one dimensional writing. I wanted to keep at it as I rarely leave a book unfinished but I just couldn't waste my time anymore when there are so many more talented authors and worthy books out t ...more
J. Nathan
Feb 18, 2014 J. Nathan rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. I enjoyed the duel POV from both sisters. I became involved in their separate stories-both heartbreaking but with HEA's. And while it was sad at times, there were sweeter moments. And even though there was a love triangle, which I do not like because they give me anxiety, I felt good about Jenna's choice in the end. Overall, a really solid read.
Michele Whitecotton
Jul 30, 2013 Michele Whitecotton rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because it was a freebie, if I had paid for it I would have given it 3. It had a pretty good story even though it was quite predictable. I wasn't really shocked about anything. As far as the characters, I really liked Courtney and Mitch. They had a lot of depth and went well together. I didn't really care for Jenna, she was too wishy-washy for my taste. Her whole story was Darren...Clay...Darren...Clay. It was a bit irritating. The biggest problem I had with the book was ...more
Erin
May 06, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I've gotten to know Stephanie Elliott through her blog "Booking with Manic." I think she is a terrific person and I really enjoy her writing style. When I learned that she had self-published her novel, I was excited to read it. The book did not disappoint. This is a lovely first novel. I was able to connect with both of the main characters, a pair of sisters in their early 20's who had just lost their mother, and empathize with their feelings. I also found my self getting lost in the story (alwa ...more
Amy
Feb 01, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
2.5. Entertaining quick read but I am pretty sure in 3 months I won't remember what the book is even about. I found the sister Jenna whiny and annoying and the book very predictable. That being said I have read worse and I did fly through the book in one day so it wasn't awful.
chuckpierce
Jan 15, 2015 chuckpierce rated it it was amazing
I love it

I could read this book and re-read it again but you have to right more about the girls and they found there true love and want happen to them do they get married and have kids
Crystal Lee
Jun 05, 2016 Crystal Lee rated it it was amazing
In awe

I can't even explain my feeling for this book. I can not wait to read more from her. Great read!
Jessica
Jan 27, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Quaint

A quick and easy to read novel...heartwarming and quaint...good to the very last page! Very satisfying. A great beach read!
Rebecca
Feb 05, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Quick enjoyable read that tied things up just a bit too quickly & neatly. Rounding up from 3.5 stars.
Tara
Jan 30, 2015 Tara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The story of the sisters, their relationships, and history was a good read.
Judy
Aug 05, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
Predictable. I nice easy read. Read for July 2015 bookclub.
theresa
May 06, 2013 theresa rated it it was amazing
finished it one sitting! a story of love & loss and finding out who you really are when life throws you a curve. two sisters, devastated by the sudden death of their mother are forced to face their lives in a new light when they discover that the cause of their mom's death was a disease that's hereditary. subtle plot twists, light romance and great characters kept me happily entertained. i'm definitely looking forward to more from stephanie elliot!
Amanda Kelsey
Jun 11, 2013 Amanda Kelsey rated it really liked it
This was a great read about two sisters overcoming the loss of their mother. Having sisters of my own made me really appreciate this book and the relationship that sister's share. Would definitely recommend this to others, even if you don't have siblings it is still a great read about family, love, and how to get through a tough time.
Kathleen Crowell
Jan 07, 2014 Kathleen Crowell rated it liked it
good framework for an interesting story. characters fell a little flat for me. too much crying/sobbing by the sisters but I guess that is to be expected. never felt the connections between any of the love interests nor between the father and aunt and the girls. 2.5 for me...kind of disappointed.
Allietude
Feb 07, 2015 Allietude rated it really liked it
an ok read
Holly
Aug 06, 2013 Holly rated it liked it
This is a nice, well rounded story. I will definitely read more of Stephanie Elliot's future work. That being said, I feel What She Left Us would have been a lot better if there weren't so many typos. There are major typos that really distract from the story.
Beth
Aug 02, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
If I had to use only one word to describe this book: weak.

Mediocre writing, sappy, soppy, filled with cliches and entirely predictable.

I gave the book 2 stars for some originality in the story-line and for some likable characters.
Yvonne
Apr 10, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was ok
This was book 5 in "52 books in 52 weeks" and it was okay. I listened and read along on this one with kindle's text to speech. Maybe the blandness of the text to speech did the book a disservice.
Kate
Oct 05, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Really a three and a half! A nice story about two sisters who are dealing with their Mom's death in different ways. I really cannot go into the details because it would spoil the story.
Sisters & Contemporary Relationships! 1 4 Apr 06, 2013 01:21PM
What She Left Us Now Available! 1 3 Apr 06, 2013 01:16PM
  • Interrupted (Progress, #2)
  • Courageous
  • The Fable of Bing
  • Weapon of Choice
  • Healing Rain (Rain Trilogy, #2)
  • Leaving Haven: A Novel
  • The Theory of Opposites
  • Her Soundtrack (Masquerade, #1)
  • Love and Other Games (A Very Sexy Short Story Collection)
  • A Better Man
  • Reality Ends Here
  • The Banks of Certain Rivers
  • For Internal Use Only
  • The Search Angel
  • The Carny
  • A Taylor-Made Life (Taylor-Made, #1)
  • Loving David
  • Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir
My debut young adult novel, Sad Perfect, will be published by FSG/Margaret Ferguson Books February 28, 2017. My adult novels, A Little Bit of Everything Lost, What She Left Us and the e-novella, The Cell Phone Lot are available now. For more info please visit http://www.stephanieelliot.com.
More about Stephanie Elliot...