Start by marking “Rainbow Valley” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Valley

Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables #7)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  29,056 Ratings  ·  734 Reviews
FEATURES:

• FREE audio book link at the end of the book

• L. M. Montgomery's Biography

• L. M. Montgomery's Top Quotes

• Easy to navigated Active Table of Contents

• High formatting quality and standards, manually crafted by professionals

Rainbow Valley (1919) is the seventh book in the chronology of the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery, although it was t
ebook
Published by Kiddy Monster Publication (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Valley, please sign up.

Fionn technically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow…moretechnically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow valley and the story is focused on Anne's children the manse children and Mary Vance not rainbow valley its self but it does mention what each child thinks of rainbow valley and why the love it(less)

Elinor  Loredan
Mar 03, 2010 Elinor Loredan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
The front cover is simply maddening! There are four girls, and Anne only has three, so one must be a Meredith. So which one??
The boy in the water is, I'm thinking, Shirley, and the tall one is Walter. The girl sitting is Diana.
If the girl in the blue dress holding the flowers is Rilla and the one holding the basket is Nan, or vice versa, then who is the second redhead? Rilla's hair is a softer red, and neither of the Meredith sisters has red hair.
Till my dying day I will be puzzling over this...
Shantelle
I'm so happy I finally read Rainbow Valley! I read the previous books in the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series by L.M. Montgomery a few years ago now ... but just never got around to book seven. Now I have! *grins* And it was fun! I'm so excited to get my hands on a copy of Rilla of Ingleside!

It was wonderful to be back in this classic world, filled with wonderful characters. The bits we saw of Anne, I, of course, loved! I had missed her! She is as passionate, whimsical, sweet, and delightful as ever.
Lady
Nov 12, 2011 Lady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Like I always say, children are the best form of birth control. Even imaginative, sweet-natured children. Oh, lisping Rilla, being chased into the mud by a codfish-wielding Mary Vance... how I laughed uproariously over your plight, though I gathered from the soulful prose that I was meant to feel sorry for you.

Seven books in, and I can't stop wondering what Anne was like in bed. When one of her litter of six was born, L. M. Montgomery wrote of a stork depositing a bundle of baby at the Blythe re
Obsidian
I remember reading Rainbow Valley when I was a kid and enjoying it, but not loving it. I still have that same issue today.

This is technically the 7th book in the Anne of Green Gables series. However, it was the fifth book published. L.M. Montgomery went back later and wrote Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. I think that is why I often felt as if Anne of Ingleside was more dark than the earlier books in the series.

This novel though it proclaims it is an Anne of Green Gable book really
Naomi Sarah
Well that was stinking adorable. I loved it.

What I like:
1. All the Blythe children, but especially WALTER. I just love Walter to bunches and bits. I love when he fights despite not wanting to. And how he always dreams and thinks up whimsical things. He makes whimsies manly, Walter does. He's so sweet and I love him.
2. Una. SHE'S SO SWEET. The end.
3. Jem. Jem is a teenager now and he's so handsome and tall. Gah, these children.
4. I loved the beginning of this book, and just GAH. It's Montg
A.
Jul 09, 2010 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories of Anne of Green Gables manage to cast such a cheerful, lighthearted glow on the world. At first glance it almost seems too much, as if the characters are unbelievable because the world isn't so bright and good all the time. But L.M. Montgomery doesn't avoid writing about characters that suffer, she just refuses to dwell on the misery in life. Even characters such as Mary Vance, or Lida Marsh have a hopeful feel to them. It makes me feel like some of our authors today try too hard, s ...more
Laurence R.
Jul 21, 2015 Laurence R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LMM's stories are the absolute loveliest. I just adore her characters! This book is cute and funny and mostly light-hearted, which is exactly what I needed.
Audrey
Jun 07, 2017 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to love the Meredith children (and unforgettable Mary Vance) so much, but I found them charming. This whole book was really delightful--filled with so much childhood innocence and gentle humor. This book had a central plot and was better constructed than the previous volume in the series. I think that's why I enjoyed it more.

There is some serious foreshadowing in this. Montgomery was definitely preparing her readers for the looming cloud of war that shakes the world in the next
Rachel
I thoroughly loved this! It was funny and the characters were charming, particularly Norman and Ellen. I just LOVED their romance. I was horrified by the maltreatment of Mr Meredith's children, though. What started out funny quickly became full-blown neglect, and no one did a damn thing about it. Still, she's back on the side of poking fun at religion. Yay!

"Mr Wiley used to mention hell when he was alive. He was always telling folks to go there. I thought it was some place over in New Brunswick
Hope
Jun 22, 2017 Hope rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
I sometimes think you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy the Anne books. It took me almost half the book to warm up to these characters. But by then I'd come to love the pastor's children with all of their quirks and troubles.

Even sardonic, sensible Susan (with her annoying habit of addressing Anne as "Mrs. Dr. dear") found a place in my heart as she knit a pair of stockings for Faith because "Susan never worried over poor humanity. She did what she could for its betterment and serenely left
Kristi
2.5 stars. This book follows the adventures of Anne and Gilbert Blythe's 6 children as they grow older and meet the mischievous Meredith clan. It generally focuses on the adventures of the children, with Anne appearing only in passing. The children's adventures are amusing, but the core of the book for me was really the would-be romance between Mr. Meredith and Rosemary West. If not for that, the book would have lacked a strong emotional foundation. Many of the Meredith children's woes and misad ...more
stephanieisabookworm
I actually ended up really really loving this installment. I think partly I love it because the children are the focus now--none of the indecision of the previous book, although there are of course digressions that focus a bit on Anne, and a few that focus on Mr. Meredith and the West sisters and a few other choice adults. I just LOVE the addition of the Meredith family to the Ingleside cast, and even though we really don't get to see their visits, it makes me deeply happy to know that the Blyth ...more
Castiron
Anne’s kids find new playmates. Overall, a bit better than Anne of Ingleside — the Blythe kids are more interesting in this book, and the Meredith children are a lot of fun. My one major gripe is Rev. John Meredith, the severely absent-minded minister father who supposedly loves his kids but who doesn’t notice their poor food and household conditions, and on the rare occasions where he wakes up enough to notice, he doesn’t do anything about it, until he finally gets married to a woman who’ll tak ...more
Nancy Ellis
Jun 04, 2015 Nancy Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually more of the story of a widowed pastor's children and a runaway, but Anne's children also play a part in it. More beautiful writing with characters to fall in love with and a setting which you wish you could jump into! There is an undercurrent of change running through the book. Even though it was finished shortly after World War I, it takes place before the war, but more than once a hint of what's to come is given which makes it all the more poignant. With only one more book lef ...more
Eva
Jun 23, 2014 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I love all the children (except Mary Vance) and how brave my darling Walter is and John and Rosemary's romance (it's my favorite 'side' romance in the whole series, I think). Almost everything about this book is sweetness and adorableness. <333333
Rachel Maxwell
Oct 27, 2015 Rachel Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to wallop Mary Vance and I wish there was more Anne. I miss my Anne Girl.
Jillian
Oct 25, 2016 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh, THAT's who the Meredith children are! They are quite adorable. I love their little conduct club. John Meredith is also adorable. The story really picks up in the final third. <3
MC
Feb 02, 2014 MC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say that I was disappointed with Anne of Ingleside - the sixth book in the Anne Shirley series, by L. M. Montgomery - would be an understatement. My review of that book details why it is my least favorite book in the series that I've read to date. It was with this in mind that I read the seventh book, Rainbow Valley, with some apprehension. I was willing to give it a try, because I was told by some friends how it was MUCH better than the abysmal (to my view) Anne of Ingleside. I can honestly ...more
Maryanne
Jul 14, 2010 Maryanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
People complain that this book doesn't have enough about Anne or her family in it, but I've always kind of liked it anyway (maybe because I'm a fan of L.M. Montgomery's other books too, and not just the Anne series). Mostly, the book is about the Merediths, the children of an absent-minded widower minister. The Merediths are far more exciting characters than Anne's children (at least in this book - Rilla of Ingleside is my favorite and focuses more on Anne's brood) and I love the side story of R ...more
Janelle
I own a beautiful hardcover collection of all L M Montgomery's novels that my mother and grandmother bought me when I was about eight. It is one of my treasured possessions. So I have read Rainbow Valley more times than I can count. I recently enjoyed a Librivox narration and for the first time I was struck by how much of the story was focussed on the Meredith children bringing themselves up, and in particular their punishment club for when they failed to behave correctly.
Of course, I have alwa
Lynn
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... As with the other Green Gables books, this one is also a pleasure!! Thank goodness Una steps in for her father and speaks with Rosemary on Mr. Meredith's behalf! If not...well...the world would have been much less happier overall, I feel certain! Bless those four siblings and their Good Conduct Club!! How sweet! Although they're rather tough on themselves! These children are adorable! And who couldn't just take Faith in ...more
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought the plot was well thought out. And I thought the characters were very well written. I enjoyed reading from the children's point of view and I like the add in of new characters. I can not wait to start reading the final book in the Anne of Green Gables series and then I can go on to other L.M Montgomery books.
Vilja / Kirjaneito
Ei suosikkini Anna-sarjasta, mutta ihastuttava teos, niin kuin kaikki Montgomeryltä.
Marklessgirl
May 21, 2017 Marklessgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better then 5&6 but not better than the first 4 books.
It was enjoyed and I would recommend it and reread it.
So not my favorite of all of the story/series but I liked it all the same. Probably would have enjoyed it more at a young age/reader.
Molly
Jun 17, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rainbow Valley turned out to be completely adorable, and I loved reading it! It was lighthearted, innocent, funny, and overall just a beautiful little book.

The story focuses primarily on the Merediths, a new family in Glen St Mary, with the Blythes being more of secondary characters. All of the Meredith children--Jerry, Faith, Carl, and Una--were so cute and lovable, and their adventures and mishaps were all very entertaining.

I also loved all of the delightful nature descriptions which are so c
Jessica
Jun 26, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was breezing through the whole Anne series until I got to this one and it's been dragging for me. Anne's all grown up and has popped out 5 kids. Most of the story revolves around the preacher who lives next door, a widower, and his kids and their shenanigans. Yawn. Oh, and at one point, one of the little girls says, "She works me like a(n-word)" and that was apparently a totally acceptable turn of phrase when the book was written, but it made it hard for me to continue reading, especially sinc ...more
Rosalba
Dec 29, 2011 Rosalba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
It wasn't L.M. Montgomery's best, though still good. However, this book hardly mentioned Anne at all! And this is her series! The spotlight here was all on the Meredith children. They're fun, too, but I really wanted to know more about Anne's adventures. Or doesn't she have any anymore? And I wanted to know more about Leslie and Owen Ford and Davy and Dora and Diana and her children, but there was a bit too much Meredith children and not enough of that.
Allie
Jan 20, 2009 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, "Rainbow Valley" has always been the weak link in Montgomery's "Anne" books. It is more like a sequence of short stories rather than a cohesive whole, and I like her books better when there is a overall picture. Besides, I'm not fond of a few of the stories in this book. It's still L.M. Montgomery, and there's still Anne, but overall I'm not so crazy about it.
Ginger
Sep 26, 2015 Ginger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. One more to go.....

Leah really enjoys these, but I'm tired of them.
Tamsen
Apr 15, 2009 Tamsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, young-adult
Reread September 8, 2016.
Play Book Tag: Rainbow Valley by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 8 Jun 19, 2017 08:48AM
How can this be an Anne book... 3 38 May 09, 2014 03:34AM
Pizen? 2 20 Jan 24, 2014 10:00PM
Blythe book or Meredith book? 9 83 Dec 08, 2013 04:34PM
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Just Patty
  • Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Kłamczucha (Jeżycjada, #2)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday

“It is never quite safe to think we have done with life. When we imagine we have finished our story fate has a trick of turning the page and showing us yet another chapter.” 25 likes
“Being frightened of things is worse than the things themselves.” 22 likes