Start by marking “Son of Sedonia” as Want to Read:
Son of Sedonia

Son of Sedonia

Imagine growing up in the largest slum on the planet in the year 2080AD. Twenty million people are your neighbors, huddled together in an ocean of rusted dwellings made from whatever Sedonia City, the towering metropolis in the distance, decides to throw away. Gang members, known as the T99s, are the heads of your community: smuggling tech, trafficking drugs, and fighting ...more
ebook, First edition, 300 pages
Published December 29th 2012 by Smashwords (first published December 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Son of Sedonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of Sedonia

Kana
Mar 29, 2013 Kana marked it as to-read
Summary
Boyfriend saw this on Reddit. Who can say no to sci-fi? I mean..come on.
Jared Mason
Feb 27, 2013 Jared Mason rated it really liked it
I've always been somewhat partial to stories about brothers. From the Majeres in Dragonlance, to the Boondock Saints - there's just something about the fraternal bond that speaks to my sense of companionship, responsibility, and loyalty. Apparently, Ben Chaney understand this very well indeed, as Son of Sedonia is one of the more moving stories of two brothers I have ever read.

This book is a first effort for this author, and it doesn't show. I had my faults with it - the middle dragged a bit, th
Christina
Son of Sedonia takes place in a futuristic, dystopian society where the elite live in a city with all the comforts technology provides and everyone else struggles in the slums outside the walled city. However, unrest is close at hand...

Okay, so that is quite the vague summary, but for very good reason. The book starts out with a bang. I mean I was shocked. From the beginning of the book I was hooked. Therefore I can't even really set up the scene for you because that would even be a huge spoiler
Michael
Mar 19, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Story about a boy named Matteo living in the slums outside the ultra-rich Sedonia city. Takes place in a future society where nanotechnology, neural interfaces, lunar mining, and flying cars are common. Matteo dreams of someday living in the city, but soon gets caught up in a scheme set in motion by the mayor of Sedonia city to “recruit” people from the slums to work as slaves at a mining colony on the moon. While on the moon it’s revealed that he is not the street rat he thought he was, and ...more
Paul
Aug 08, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a young man who is the spark needed to bring change to a near-future Earth.

Less than 100 years from now, Sedonia City is home to over 40 million people. It is a bright, shining city, with giant skyscrapers, and neural implants called neurals that can provide any needed distraction. On the other side of the half-mile high Border is the Rasalla slum. Home to another 20 million people, it was cut off from the Future like a diseased limb, and allowed to collapse. A gang called th
Amanda
Jul 01, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is really, really interesting and has a great premise in the vein of "Battle Angel" or "Gunnm" and the upcoming movie, "Elyium." Sprawling slums on the edge of a great, walled-off city house most of the population, while the rich and elite live safe in Sedonia behind thick walls and they go to great lengths to keep it that way. Their special police forces that deal with the slums are augmented EXO's whose technology gives them a great advantage over the the slum dwellers, or does it? ...more
Lindsey Bradford
So... wow. If I had to describe this book in a nutshell, I'd say it's very Hunger Games meets Ender's Game meets Star Wars. There are so many characters, but not a single one can be classified as "good" or "bad" or "the villain." No matter what perspective you read from, some aspect of the speaker makes you sympathize with them. The trigger-happy cop leading a raid on the slums? He's fresh out of the Academy and desperate to prove himself. The corrupt governor? He loves his wife more than ...more
Tom Loock
Aug 31, 2013 Tom Loock rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, ebook
Son of Sedonia has a great cover and it did it's job: it attracted me to have a closer look. I was looking for a fast-paced SF-adventure with a conscience and was not disappointed.

Is it great? No, but some sections are pretty good (most others are at least okay), the setting is the strongest feature, but unfortunately the characters are almost all stereotypes.

Apart from the fairly weak characters, the book has two big problems: The ending is a huge disappointment and feels like Ben Chaney eithe
R.C. Champagne
Jun 30, 2013 R.C. Champagne rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. As some of the reviews below mention, there is no "good" and "bad" sides, every character is a fully developed person that you can't help but hate a love at the same time. The world is full and detailed but doesn't get in the way of the storytelling. Chaney gives readers some really cool moments and themes but never gets so caught up in them that they feel overdone.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who wants a good read. It was nice to read something that wa
Matt Mclean
Dec 31, 2013 Matt Mclean rated it liked it
Son of Sedonia is a solid debut effort by Ben Chaney. As an avid sci-fi reader, I'm always looking for new ideas that delight and get me thinking, and this book definitely has a few of those. The action is well-described and always has a purpose in the story. I enjoyed following Matteo's journey. However, it was a bit tough for me to visualize the world outside of Sedonia City or how the city itself came to be (for a long time I wondered if Sedonia was the only city left on Earth). Also, I got ...more
Eva LeFoy
Nov 16, 2014 Eva LeFoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
I really like it but I don't know if I'll ever finish it, so I may as well get this done.

I did like the story about Matteo but there were a lot of POV switches and I had to go back and re-read to find out who characters were often. I wasn't so good at keeping track!

From what I can tell the story does hang together with Matteo being the central character but I can't tell you what happens.

I can say there's a lot of highly visceral in-depth character action in his writing and it's worth a read if
Ty
Sep 14, 2013 Ty rated it really liked it
Pretty impressive début. While the writing could use some polishing, the characters and story are engaging and multi-faceted. Ben Chaney switches between those characters and plotlines with skill and dexterity you don't often see in a newcomer. If you're a fan of dystopian lit, or sci-fi in general, I must recommend Son of Sedonia. Especially for Kindle, at a bargain price of just $2.99.

I'll be looking forward to his next endeavor.
Katherine
Aug 27, 2013 Katherine rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book. I think i made it to about 30% and had to stop. I felt like I had been reading for years and was making no progress. There were multiple characters, but I never really felt connected to any of them. It just seemed to drone on and on and at least as far as I read appears to be a basic story of the haves and have nots. It was a great premise, but I think it could have been done better.
Dayna
Aug 16, 2016 Dayna rated it it was ok
Whether you enjoy this book, or not, will entirely depend upon whether you buy the central technology in the book that serves as a mid-game deus ex-machina. For me the technology just didn't pan out with the rest of the technology in the book.
Jason
Sep 06, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
I liked the first half better than the 2nd. The world he built seems deep and there are many unexplored aspects introduced in the book. There were a few distracting typos and the actions sequences sometimes felt awkward.
Jessica Ward
Jun 23, 2013 Jessica Ward rated it it was amazing
So I tried to explain this to somebody as a x-meets-y story and couldn't do it justice. It's great, just read it :) Would love to hear more from this world.
Orange
Jul 20, 2014 Orange rated it really liked it
This novel is solid sci-fi. It goes at a fast pace but still manages to provide plenty of back story for the many different characters.
Jason
Oct 22, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
Very good book for a self-published, first time author. The ending came too fast and there were a few questions unanswered so I am going to assume a sequel is in works. Excellent cover art!
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Paul Cook
Paul Cook rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Maxwell Keeler
Maxwell Keeler rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Seth
Seth rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
André
André rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Jerry Innis
Jerry Innis rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Timo
Timo rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Ezra Farber
Ezra Farber rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Nobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe
  • The Last Rakosh
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass and Iron Series, #1)
  • The Lotus Effect (Rise Of The Ardent, #1)
  • Enough
  • Ultimul avanpost
  • Hegemony
  • Stealing Time (Time #1)
  • Fuzzy Logic (An Alpine Grove Romantic Comedy Book 2)
  • The Cold War: History in an Hour
  • Lord of Fire (The Silver Mage, #1)
  • Strange Toys
  • Freddy the Politician
  • Wild Fire
  • The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)
  • A Window or a Small Box
  • Terror at Beslan: A Russian Tragedy with Lessons for America's Schools
  • [Citation Needed] 2: The Needening: More of The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
Ben Chaney grew up with a passion for SciFi and Fantasy that led him to study visual storytelling and illustration at the Savannah College of Art and Design. After graduation, he worked his way up through the video game industry; QA testing at Epic Games and Redstorm Entertainment, game art production at Schell Games in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, then art direction at Villain LLC in Cary, North ...more
More about Ben Chaney...