The Walking Dead, Book Two

The Walking Dead, Book Two (The Walking Dead #13-24)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  8,723 ratings  ·  354 reviews
This hardcover continues collecting the hit series, along with the covers for the individual issues, all in one oversized hardcover volume. Perfect for long time fans, new readers and anyone interested in reading a zombie movie on paper that never ends.
Published June 1st 2007 by Image Comics (first published November 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Book Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Book Two

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Stopped for a quickie again (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), and true to brand promise, found a similar experience to my prior Book One read.

One challenge in picking up a serial graphic in book form is that it's been a long, long delay since the The Walking Dead, Book One. I didn't recognize a couple of characters, and it was disconcerting to re-discover that the graphic versions don't always correlate with the actors, so I couldn't rely on clues from the series. At times, the drawin...more
John
As in Book One, Kirkman does an excellent job of imagining a chaotic world stripped of all law and order, where everyday life is distilled to its most simplest elements: hunger, shelter, and survival.

The characters are well realized and the black and white artwork sets the right tone. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I will say that some characters that you might expect to survive, don't, which gives the feeling that no one is safe. Then again, that's life isn't it?
Tina
I started reading The Walking Dead back before zombies was the cool thing to be into and way before the TV show. What I like most about the Walking dead is that it really isn't about zombies. Shocker! Yes, it is set in a post apocalyptic time where zombies roam the earth, but so much of this series is about human relationships. It is about what different people do in survival-type situations, how they react and how they treat other people. Who steps up to be the leader, who takes what role in a...more
Kassie
The second book of the Walking Dead comics was AMAZING. Better than the first one by a long shot and if my uncle does not finish the third book soon, I am going to go all zombie on his butt and bite his head off so I can read it.

The second book sees the introduction of fan favorite Michonne (which I still don't know how to pronounce). I can see why she's a fan favorite. The woman is a bad *ss. I mean, she walks around with zombie pets. How freakin' cool is that? The group doesn't trust her yet -...more
Lars
The epic story of survival continues in this second hardcover book collecting issues #13-24. I read the first book of "The Walking Dead" last year after watching the AMC series and was surprised at how good the graphic novel was. Unfortunately this second collection isn't as good, but it still a hugely entertaining read that's hard to put down.

In Book 2, the survivors have found an abandoned prison and decide to make a new life for themselves. Protected by the prison walls from the hordes of un...more
Jennifer Leigh
Originally posted: http://a-librarians-library.blogspot....

The collection of comics (graphic novel? I don't really know what to call it lol) continues with an interesting plot development. The group of survivors finds a prison facility and decide that it is fortified enough to settle in. When they get the yard cleared out of the zombies walking around, they begin to explore the inside of the jail. They open a locked door and discover...4 living inmates playing cards?! Yes sirree. The addition of...more
Megan
I didn't like this one as much as the first hardcover. I think it does a good job of portraying what this type of zombie apocalypse would do to one's sanity though, and how different people would react to this new messed-up world. Lori and Rick started to really annoy me (she is constantly screaming and bitching about everything; he's always running around doing whatever he wants without thinking about the consequences at all), so I was really happy that several new characters were brought in to...more
April
I read this series awhile ago, but now I'm reading the collected volumes and trying to catch up for the AMC show.

I liked this much better the second time through although aspects of this volume annoyed me. Like the random badass chick and how the guys are completely in charge of the women and the women apparently like it that way. Ugh.
Tim Lepczyk
While I still enjoyed reading The Walking Dead, it seemed like the writing suffered some in this volume. There are rough transitions between scenes, and I asked myself if I missed something? Were the pages glued together? Nope, Kirkman's writing is loose and he forces the reader to fill in gaps. Overall, still a fun series.
DJ
FYI - I have individual books, but they're grouped of 5 per file. Instead of adding all the books individually in GR, I'm using the 12-in-1 books instead.

As the series progressed, my interest in reading the rest of the whole The Walking Dead collection is starting to wane. The main reason is the amount of sex scenes. Seems like that's the only thing that's on the survivor's' mind is sex. The other reason is the swearing. Cuss words doesn't usually bother me, but this is very overwhelming insults...more
Holden Attradies
I think this is by far my favorite of the hard cover collections. The action is this volume is pretty non-stop, the events all monumental for this little group of followers. From clearing out the prison, to all the early deaths that happen there, to Rick's deteriorating mental state leading up to his amazing speech at the end that has such a great ending line. I don't think I've ever seen such a great use of the titular line in a graphic novel.

As I said, as of this point I think this is the best...more
Ricardo Loureiro
Angel
This volume covers comic issues 13-24. The hardback makes a pretty good value, and like the previous one, places the story in one long continuous arc (no pagination in the book or divisions other than two chapters). For readers who like to read their graphic novels in a compilation versus waiting for the monthly, this is a nice way to do it. Let's look at this volume then.

The drama continues to remain high. The author is keeping the suspense and tension alive as no character is safe. Anyone can...more
Olivia
Great addition to the series. I loved the drama in this one and the way the characters are evolving and changing (or in some cases devolving). The crazy action was pretty intense. I felt like some one died every few pages and they probably did. The writing was good, but sometimes the characters get a bit "speechy" where they are making these huge statements that last forever and doesn't sound like natural conversation. I also had a bit of a problem with the artwork. I feel like it is getting har...more
Ashley
WAY better than the first one! Pretty much all the things I hated about the first one were fixed in this one. The bolding, while still very prevalent, has been toned down. The quality of the art has gone up. And there is still tons of drama and unlikely characters dying. And they still keep the story going at a quick pace, even though they've been in the same area for the entire book!

It's also nice to see that Rick isn't totally perfect and in control now, it makes him seem a lot more human. Car...more
Hayden
Lots more character development in Book Two, and definately more of a page turner than it's predecessor. The survivors have found home in a massive prison, and they're trying to clean it out, and form the beginnings of some sort of makeshift society.

What I like best about this one (and it's hard to explain without revealing spoilers) is that it's starting to take readers down a darker path, a path that they don't necessarily want to go down. The characters are beginning to unveil their true side...more
Callie Rose Tyler
I'm pretty sure there is more to life than sex but you wouldn't know it after reading this. I cannot stand that everyone is coupled up all the time. There is so much more going on beyond that. It is amazing that Kirkman can make me hate almost every single one of his female characters. They are weak, whiny, whores (i say whores because sex seems to be the only thing they think about) They just want to be protected?! They don't want to be part of the committee?! they just want the men to make all...more
Dave
The continuing story by Robert Kirkman about humanity's survival in a world populated by "walkers" or zombies to the lay man. The thing I really like about this series is that nothing is taken for granted. You literally have no idea from sequence to sequence just what is going to happen in terms of relationships, interactions, and most important who lives and who dies. The book is less and less about zombies and more and more about people getting along and maintaining their sanity in an insane...more
Kristy
I like the idea of the group residing in a prison, a place where criminals go to get punishment and the real punishment is what they inflict on each other. Their problem is not being trapped behind bars, but the erosion of the groups's humanity and ability to see the big picture. Humans are the ones inflicting the death toll here, in a place where Rick said they would be safe. They can't seem to save themselves and their short-sighted and wishy-washy logic will be their undoing before any walker...more
Severine Chat-cal
Comme prévu suite à ma lecture du premier tome, j'ai lu la suite. Je me disais que peut-être, la suite pouvait être plus intéressante que le début et je me suis accrochée à cette idée pour avancer, continuer jusqu'à la fin de ce tome. Je ne vous cache pas que c'était laborieux.

-Risque de spolier à partir de maintenant-

Shane est mort, Rick est donc considéré comme le nouveau chef de groupe et décide de lever le camp. En route ils accueilleront Tyreese, sa fille Julie et son ami Chris, puis découv...more
Victoria
Apparently the library can't figure out whether to send me the hardcovers or the paperbacks, so I keep having to do the extra work of making sure I have got all the issues... Anyway, this compilation finds the characters finally finding a safe haven (maybe). This allows the plot to move away from zombie killing and even more into the interpersonal stories. More of the characters are fleshed out (haha) and there are some surprising changes in the hero. Maybe he is not so heroic.
Trike
Why am I still reading this? Oh, right, because someone gave them to me.

Why does every single character have logorrhea? There's no space to breathe in these things. Rick lays down the law (no pun intended) then immediately breaks it. Then they all talk about it. Nothing lingers, nothing festers, no pots get boiled, nothing is stewing away.

The TV series, for all its faults, is so much better than this tripe.
Samuel Snoek-Brown
As I suspected, the second volume of The Walking Dead is much cleaner and more engaging than the first. The characters are developing better, the story is evening out and finding its rhythm in grander, more purposeful episodic arcs, the stakes are elevating.... There are still problems, inherent perhaps to the genre, but overall, I'm getting sucked into this world much faster than I did in the first volume, I care more, and I'm enjoying almost every page of this.
Jean louise Finch
I skipped book one since it wasn't available at the book store (the saleswoman told me all her copies were stolen!) this is pretty good. I only hope the AMC series stays close to the book. Huge warning, It's pretty graphic-and everyone except the zombies are having sex, but even if you aren't a huge comic book/graphic novel fan, this is pretty entertaining.
Mark
Though I didn't care much for the first volume, at the insistence of a few trustworthy friends I pressed on. Definitely glad I did. Though the story remains little more than a gory soap opera, the tension in this volume is infinitely more visceral, and the twists actually capitalize on the characters. Pretty damn good.
Micaela
Hmmmm. My same complaints that I have for the first book go for this one. The female characters are seriously lame, and NO ONE has ANY communication skills. You'd think that with walkers roaming around, you might want to try to talk some of it out.

And there isn't enough blood and guts for my taste. Maybe I am strange.
Chris Cagle
I only recently got into The Walking Dead and I'm very glad I did. My only complaint is that Robert isn't putting out the issues fast enough. I have already read through all 6 of the available hard covers and now am impatiently awaiting #7. They are all spectacular and the story is amazing. Definitely worth reading!
Nikilyn
Again I just wish these were in color. I think it would be a lot easier to tell certain charactors apart. Too many women have blonde hair so I have to stop reading and look for other defining features to figure out who is speaking. Things have drastically changed in this story from the TV show.
Summer
I think this book was amazing. I loved it. I enjoyed the way the author doesn't include thought bubbles like a lot of graphic novelist do. I also liked the art and most of the content. It is a pretty straight forward book but you should probably read the first one before to get the whole story.
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Two
  • American Vampire, Vol. 2
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • Crossed, Vol. 1
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie
  • Powers Definitive Collection Vol. 2
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for his work on The Walking Dead, Invincible for Image Comics, as well as Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of the original co-founders of...more
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us