Start by marking “Bonjour 40: A Paris travel log (40 years. 40 days. 40 seconds.)” as Want to Read:
Bonjour 40: A Paris travel log (40 years. 40 days. 40 seconds.)

Bonjour 40: A Paris travel log (40 years. 40 days. 40 seconds.)

If Karen A. Chase absolutely had to turn forty, she decided she could do it gracefully in Paris… for nearly forty days. This stunning coffee-table, paperback version garnered four Independent Publishing Awards for travel writing and design, including an IPPY, New Generation Book Award and an International Indie Book Award.

It contains over 100 photographs, plus quotes and t
Paperback, Special Photography Journal Edition, 132 pages
Published December 10th 2012 by Karen A. Chase (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bonjour 40, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonjour 40

Catherine Bateson
Aug 28, 2013 Catherine Bateson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crappy-books
The washing machine at the Cite International des Arts that I favour takes 45 minutes. So did this book. Badly written, smug and uneventful, this should have stayed a blog for family and friends. Reminder to self, you can now stop getting books just because they have Paris in the title!
Sheree

Oh how I loved this ... let me count the ways - Oh combien j'ai aimé ça ... laissez-moi compter les manières.

I fell in love with the cover.

I love the romance of Paris & the beauty of the French language.

I've always wanted to go to Paris; now even more so!

I love food, I drooled at the mention of food; cakes, custards, pastries, icecreams, café crème, chocolate, bread, fresh produce.

I LOVE cheese - day 29 I was in heaven :)

Even though my age is 4-0, I can sincerely say there is a
Jamie
Jul 07, 2015 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not often inclined to write a review when finished with a book, but in this case I felt compelled to make an exception.

This "travel log" is supposed to be about a month-long trip to Paris to celebrate the author turning 40. Up until about 80% through the book, I learned that she rode her bike a lot in Paris, took her sexual frustration out on her pillow, liked the Louvre, and enjoyed London and Provence. She didn't particularly seem to appreciate the customs and lifestyle of Parisian living
Mary
Oct 12, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my take here.
Bookworm
Bonjour 40 - A Paris travel log (40 years, 40 days, 40 seconds) is a short memoir type read at just 134 pages, and I enjoyed this glimpse into Karen Chase's life. It is a forty day travel journal documenting the author's Paris trip. This journal started as a blog to chronicle her travels, then became a book.
First off, I like anything Paris related. So this book caught my attention right away. Isn't the cover pretty?
Secondly, being that I want to visit Paris one day, I found Karen's journal inte
Paulita Kincer
This year, I lucked into a number of books set in France, both novels and memoirs. This week, I finished Bonjour 40: A Paris Travel Log by Karen A. Chase. Chase traveled to Paris to celebrate her 40th birthday and spent nearly 40 days in Paris with her boyfriend meeting her over there toward the end of her trip. She kept a travel blog and turned it into a book.
I'm not a short story reader, so maybe I'm not the typical reader for this book. I enjoyed some of the short posts, but I needed more me
Leonel
Oct 19, 2014 Leonel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Bounjor 40," by Karen A Chase, is subtitled "A Paris Travel Log, 40 years, 40 days, 40 seconds," and for a wanderlust like me, seemed to be the perfect book to read. Chase, upon turning forty, planned on living in Paris for forty days, and she updated her friends via her travel blog, with each entry to be read in forty seconds. This book collates all her entries plus a couple of refection essays. Her premise is brave and innovative, and is something a lot of us would probably love to do (I ...more
Sheree
Jul 14, 2013 Sheree rated it it was amazing
Lurved the extra photos.

I read the ebook version of Bonjour 40: A Paris Travel Log by Karen A Chase back in 2011 and was completely smitten. My one wish from this treasure of a book, (well I have more than one, the top one involving my own love affair with France and a healthy obsession with cheese, chocolate and pastries in no particular order of preference ... but I digress) was more photos and earlier this year I got my wish.

The lovely Karen sent me the beautiful photography print edition of
Vicki
Dec 02, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has always been a dream of mine to spend a few weeks in Paris, but that will probably never happen. So I did the next best thing. I read this book.

I loved reading about the bookstores, museums and people of Paris. I love seeing a few of the photos the author took while she was there. She tells the reader what the food is like, what the sights, sounds and smells are and what she was feeling, and that made it seem so real.

The book wasn't exactly what I expected it to be, I thought it was more l
Kerry
Mar 20, 2015 Kerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, biography
The idea is a good one--it has a lot of appeal and potential. Unfortunately, this potential went only partially realized. Before putting the entries into a book, Chase could have expounded on her ideas, cut out the mundane or cliched, and dug more deeply into her experiences.

I was disappointed to read in the introduction that this was a book form of blog entries. A blog is one style of writing--what goes into a book is another type, whether memoir, travel log, or something else.

Paris is an inf
Andie
Dec 24, 2013 Andie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for any book about Paris, but this compilation of blog posts, interspersed with "reflective" essays, written on Karen Chase's month-long trip to Paris to celebrate her fortieth birthday is fairly mediocre of this ever-growing genre of travel literature.

If you've sent any time at all in Paris, there is not much to be learned here. However, if you're a first-time visitor, this book can give you a good overview of the city and its inhabitants. And as this book is very short, it can eas
Relyn
Mar 12, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: I have no idea how this book came into my life.
Shelves: memoir
I liked this book. Ok, I sort of liked it. There was absolutley nothing wrong with it. But, there is nothing to especially recommend it either. It's a little bit like reading a friend's letters home from Paris. If it weren't your friend, or it weren't Paris, you just wouldn't bother. This is just a simple story about a nice lady who had a nice adventure. Not bad, just a bit dull. Honestly, I'd be irritated if I had paid more than a few bucks to buy this on Kindle.
Priscilla
May 10, 2013 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the book title says, most of the "chapters" are a 40 second read. I did linger longer over a few of them. The book is about Karen Chase's 40 day stay in Paris, on her own except for the last few days when her fiancé joined her, that was originally written as a blog. The way she approached Paris was also a metaphor for how she was looking at herself as she turned 40. So here's another book that had me with my feet in the USA, and my head in France.
Kt
Jul 06, 2013 Kt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summer read, thoughtful and interesting short travel memoir. The first few chapters had me looking online at hotels in and flights to Paris. As I got further into the book it helped me realize that a vacation anywhere is something to savor and revel in a different place, culture, people and glorious free time to explore, eat, drink and enjoy life.
Staci
Sep 29, 2013 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: Sheree
Loved this book. Made me want to pack my bags and live in Paris just like the author did!! I would recommend this one to anyone who dreams of traveling and needs some inspiration to make some positive changes to their life.
Kittybiscuit
Mar 20, 2014 Kittybiscuit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of meh shrug with very occasional moments of ahhhh. Very little true detail of what the author did and saw in Paris, rather a lot of waxing mawkishly rhapsodic and not even very well. Read "The Most Beautiful Walk in the World" instead.
Keith
Jul 22, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it
Three years ago I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in Paris, but that taste only ignited in me a desire for an extended stay. Thank you, Karen, for sharing the fulfillment of your dream...it gives me hope that one day I may be able to do the same!
Linda
A nice little read - Karen Chase turns 40 and celebrates the occasion by spending 40 days in Paris. Her journal-style writing allows the reader to experience the City of Light vicariously through Karen's eyes.
Jason Reeser
Jan 11, 2013 Jason Reeser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just been to Paris, I found much of this fit in with my own experiences. Some of it not so much. But overall a nice feel and taste of Paris.
Sara
Apr 27, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
A fun travel memoir set out in diary format. The author goes to Paris for 40 days for her 40th birthday.
Ana Maria
Not too much to say about this book. Usually,love reading anything related to France and the French but this book bored me.
Janice
Jan 22, 2015 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
savory gorgeous Paris

Wonderful descriptions of romantic Paris. Also loved the format. 40 days. Made me feel like I was along for the ride.
Dorothy
Dec 27, 2015 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I too want to visit Paris for an extended stay and this was just the book to help me know what it would be like. Easy read, great information and pictures.
Kl
Apr 24, 2014 Kl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. Took me back to Paris and gave me lots of new places to explore. Can't wait to try the crab shack!!
Andrea
I loved this book! When the author turned 40, she spent 40 days in Paris. That should mean that when I turn 65 in June I get to spend 65 days in Paris, right?
Leana Delle
I enjoyed this book, because I love Paris! A quick and easy read, it took me back to the sights and sounds of the city of love.
Lorraine
Jun 16, 2013 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, travel, france
'Bonjour 40', Karen Chase's memoir detailing her trip to Paris France to celebrate her 40th birthday was a wonderfully light, bright and FAST read. Truly delightful!
Paige
Mar 09, 2016 Paige is currently reading it
I won this book in the goodreads giveaway and have just received it in the mail! I'll update my review once I have read it :D
Lynn McBride
Lynn McBride rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
  • Walks in Hemingway's Paris: A Guide to Paris for the Literary Traveler
  • We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France
  • One Fourteenth Of An Elephant
  • Gringo: A Coming of Age in Latin America
  • Madame Prosecutor: Confrontations with Humanity's Worst Criminals and the Culture of Impunity
  • Outback Midwife
  • Stuff Parisians Like: Discovering the Quoi in the Je Ne Sais Quoi
  • A Garden in Paris
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • Paris Under Water: How the City of Light Survived the Great Flood of 1910
Karen A. Chase is a published author and photographer who travels with adventure–chasing histories in search of novel stories. Her experience in photography, travel, writing, and historical research give her the unique perspective of both seeing and documenting what existed then, while understanding why it is meaningful now.

Her first book, "Bonjour 40: A Paris Travel Log" won seven independent pu
More about Karen A. Chase...

“Upon returning home, I asked a Parisian friend who lives near me how she does it. How does she manage to adjust to our grocery stores and our food when she comes back from Paris? I was having a heck of a time with it. She shook her head sympathetically and said, “I remember one time I came back to the States. I went to the grocery store. I stood in the aisles. And I cried. I literally cried.” 1 likes